Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Nice OP. Would be good to have some info on the new portal mods in it. Also a link to IITC would be useful: http://iitc.jonatkins.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So a few weekends ago my local Enlightened group managed to create a set of control fields that completely encompassed Western Australia. These fields were eventually torn down by the Resistance so we decided to think bigger and, with the collaboration of agents from all around Australia and judicious use of link amps, we have managed to cover almost the entirety of Australia in control fields:

Truly it's a thing of beauty :allears:

Edit: here's a larger view to put in perspective:

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 6, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

That is pretty awesome! Shame those huge fields give so few MU.

Yeah you'll find that the population density in Aussie outback is sparse to say the least.

SalTheBard posted:

You should get that on the Ingress report

I think the players who orchestrated the whole shindig have pimped out the screenshots and whatnot to the Ingress G+ page.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it seems to have died off a bit: I've got four three two invites to give away, if you want one just reply with your e-mail address (Or PM it to me if you'd prefer).

So I just watched the latest Ingress Report episode (Albeit a bit late) and the new scanner features look pretty cool although it also looks like they're adding even more flashy 3D particle effects so I hope that they also improve performance to offset them. I've got an S4 and for the most part the scanner runs fine but when I'm in a high density area it starts to really tank.

Edit: I hope they introduce a button to recycle/drop multiple items at once in the next update. At the moment item management is a massive pain in the rear end.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 31, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm not being offered the update via the Play store on my handset so I assume that they're doing a phased release like with v3.31.

Edit: so I was looking around on the Play store and I've found that another app called Field Trip has been published by NianticLabs@Google. I reckon Google started Ingress as a way to seed this Field Trip app prior to releasing it.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 31, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

There's a new scanner version being pushed out, here are the release notes:

Ingress Scanner v1.33.0 posted:

+ Improved Resonator/Mod/XMP selection (remembers last choice).
+ Click through to Scanner after viewing Hack results.
+ Hack via long-press on an in range Portal in the Scanner view.
+ Ability to view Mods installed on enemy controlled Portals.

Being able to view mods on enemy portals will definitely add a strategic element to things. Also hack via long press is great as the most slow-downs I experience is when zooming into a portal. Sometimes I catch the bus home from work which goes through the centre of the CBD which is very dense and trying to hack all the portals from a moving vehicle can get frustrating.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Scanner v1.34 was released recently, here's the release notes:

Release Notes posted:

Version 1.34.0
+ Faster scanner boot and other performance improvements.
+ Passcode redemption in its own tab (larger inventory pics).

The performance improvements are definitely noticeable.

I've got more invites (7) to give away if anyone wants them. Same deal as before, just reply with your e-mail address or PM me.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

One thing that's been really bugging me recently is that the title and location of portal keys in your inventory does not change when Niantic rename or move the associated portal. I suspect there is some sort of limitation on the backend that prevents them from altering items in player inventories. Remember a while back when they increased the effectiveness of portal shields however the change didn't affect any portal shields you already had?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Niantic have announced another change which is a lot cooler than the "one portal mod per player per portal" garbage:

Ingress G+ Page posted:

Agents who scout local Portals that are accepted and brought online will now receive that Portal Key and 500 AP. Agents can also gain 100 AP by taking and transmitting additional Portal photos.

IMO they should have implemented this ages ago.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've got three two invites to give away so if you are interested just send me your e-mail address via PM or e-mail (Note: to be fair I'll only give out one invite each).

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 28, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Two local players were hit by a car while in a crosswalk this past weekend. One just caught the mirror and is OK, the other went over the hood and into the windshield and needs an MRI on his knee to find out how badly it's damaged. Remember to never trust drivers and stay aware of your surroundings when you're out walking.

Who was at fault in the accident (I'm leaning towards the pedestrians, staring at their phones when they should have been checking for oncoming traffic).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Reportedly, Ingress no longer requires an invite.

Huh, yeah looks to be the case. All mentions of it being in closed beta have been removed from the app description on Google Play.

I wonder if I'll be able to recycle my remaining invites for XM.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Has anyone else noticed a sharp decrease in performance since the last update? I swear to god Niantic have not released a single update that didn't have some sort of regression in it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Loucks posted:

I just started playing, but I was surprised that my S4 sometimes struggles. I don't know how anyone could play on an older phone. I'd pay money for the ability to see a simple 2D top-down display.

I've got an S4 as well. It was definitely a lot faster in the last version. One thing people have always been pining for is a low-graphics mode however Niantic seems intent on upping the graphics with each release.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm really amazed that it has taken them so long to add in the inventory count. There's always been an item limit so not providing an inventory count is a bit of a dick move.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Loucks posted:

It's just a ploy to sell the 2nd generation Nexus 10. :ssh:

Whatever happened to that deal that Niantic supposedly made with Motorola wherein people who bought their new handset would get some special unique item (A super-XMP burster or something)?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

My main reason for still playing is to spoil smurf fun by blowing everything up. Creating and holding things is a losing effort. 4 million ap and counting.

I like to create big-rear end links that cut right through the middle of portal-dense areas. Watching public comms (And sometimes private) explode is always hilarious :allears:

Some people play in a really spergy way. A few days ago someone on private comms told another agent "Hey I'm going to have to ADA a portal you own as it has a link going right through a proof-of-concept I'm working on." Geez, it's linking dots to make triangles, not a science experiment.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Got my passcode for completing that survey that was sent out to players a while back, not too shabby:

Does anyone know whether the rewards scale to the agent's level?

Edit: just got confirmation from someone on my local G+ community, the rewards do scale to your level.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 23, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The only real things you can do wrong in this game are pretty limited.

Resonator placement: Unless you're in a place that's extremely thick with portals, always stand 40m away from the portal (line it up with the outer edge of your circle) before deploying.

Links/fields: always as small as possible so you don't block further links and fields. While you're leveling this matters a lot less, especially since the game is constantly changing. Don't worry too much about this.

Nah mate, long links and big fields get the best tears from both factions. For example, someone created this bad boy today blanketing the whole Perth, WA metro-area:

It's still up as of writing. So many pissed-off players.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zip posted:

I just decided to give this game a go... Anything I should know that isn't readily apparent by the OP and the reddit doc?

Probably head over to http://ingressfieldguide.com/content/ingress-bootcamp and have a look through the sections there. Also hook-up with your local G+ Resistance/Enlightened group ASAP as they will be able to provide the best assistance in-game (Just ask in faction comms once you have completed training and chosen your faction).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zip posted:

I chose resistance but...

I might just make the switch... They seem a bit douchey in my area. Their faction chat has them calling enlightened weird poo poo like boogars and bitches.

I'm Enlightened and our local group just calls Resistance "smurfs" or "Rosies" (Can't exactly remember how the latter came about). "Boogars" is a new one to me.

Edit: half the fun is watching people flip their poo poo and then calling them out for getting mad over a loving smartphone app.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gunktacular posted:

How rare are these Jarvis virus items? I just got one and I'm wondering if I should hoard it or not.

I think I read that the drop-rate is 0.1% for the item specific to your faction.

Sudoku posted:

So is starting to play this a bad idea, then? I read the whole thread and there's a disproportionate amount of talk about how bad/boring/worse it is.

I just play Ingress as a fun time waster during my daily commute and whenever I'm in town and bored. I don't really go out of my way to play it but it's fun to play casually and meet cool people.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I'm seeing Screenshots of Very Rare Force Amps in the wild in confunction with today's anomaly. Also, for anyone who plays casually and doesn't follow the storyline groups on G+, looks like we're about to start seeing XM Artifacts that need to be moved to faction-specific portals. Looks like it will be the shards all over again; hope you've been saving your link amps.

The release notes for scanner version 1.39.2 included a line saying "Support for Very Rare Link Amps." I've never seen any of them drop from hacks so perhaps they will introduce them for the new XM Artifact event.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tacoman165 posted:

I just got into the game and checked out the local group on Google + to see it was full of drama, I'll just drink on my own time and hit the 6 portals across the street when I can.

My local G+ group doesn't have that much drama on it but god drat I've seen some huge dummy-spits on All Comms :allears:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's also worth mentioning that when you level up you get a "field kit" containing a stack of items relevant to your level. I went straight to L9 when the new levels came out and got 20 L8 Bursters, 20 L8 Resonators and a stack of mods.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah Ingress doesn't exactly require much in the way of bandwidth as they use compression for a lot of the traffic (Of which there is very little). Of course latency would be noticeable however that is pretty much fixed regardless of which mobile standard you're on.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Playing this in Midtown Manhattan is interesting. Between the density and cellular echoing it feels like a mini game where I try to hack a portal before I get dumped 3 blocks away

Welcome to the urban canyon.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I just play Ingress while I'm on the train/waiting for the train/having a smoko. It's a fun and free time-waster. Try not to get caught up in it.

All the same 420 link everything everyday.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Javid posted:

A guy here likes to throw massive tantrums when you pop his work portal (utterly unshielded level 8 farm) - so obviously doing so is high value entertainment. Doubly so if you burn it out first and then use the gear to pop it.

Next time just flip it using an ADA/Jarvis and then drop VR Portal Shields on it (Bonus if you can max out the links from it for added mitigation).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

I'm actually looking into this as a thing to get into now that I have a phone capable of running it. Is there any difference in the players on each side? I heard something to the effect that a lot of resistance players are jerks, or something

There's jerks on both sides. Just try to steer clear of the hardcore sperglord players and you'll have fun.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drewhead posted:

The guy here call that the "Middle finger portal Move". It's one of the best things about the game.

I'd like to see someone do that to a bunch of portals and then link them up so they form a middle-finger :allears:

Of course when you go to that much effort you are only trolling yourself.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pentaro posted:

I don't know if they reduced the drop rates, but I believe they were modified some time before Shonin. Rare/VR Heat Sinks and Multihacks are now rarer than diamonds, while VR/AXA shields seem to be poppin up left and right (hell, last night I got two VR shields by glyphing one L5 portal) :psylon:

I'm pretty sure they lowered the drop-rate of VR Heat Sinks and Multi-hacks quite some time ago (I think after that event where they boosted drop-rates across the board). I don't usually use my VR mods and just save them in a capsule. Over ~6 months of very-casual play I've collected 44 VR Portal Shields but only 5 VR Heat Sinks and 4 VR Multi-hacks.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Javid posted:

I know a player here who offers real money for AXA shields. Apparently they're that good.

Hah now that you mention it I saw someone spamming faction comms yesterday selling items for cash just like a WoW gold farmer.

Edit: found one of the messages, posted by a throwaway L1 account.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 31, 2015

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

Or it's older than a year and a half or so - Back then, one person could apply four mods.

Blow it away/flip it just to be sure :unsmigghh:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drewhead posted:

This. I'm a glyphaholic. I take xmp back home and dole out capsules full to people near where I live so I have the inventory room to dirty hack all day at work the next day.
I find it's about the sequence patterns. With 96 shapes (8 have multiple names) a unsorted five sequence has over 7 billion permutations BUT the game only uses about fifty of them. Recognize the sequence and you got it made. I probably know the sequence after the second glyph for more than have the 5 glyph game sequences. That just comes with repetition.

:goonsay:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol its a smart phone game get real. fun time waster though.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just a heads up: if anyone is experiencing GUI issues since upgrading to v1.75.0 (e.g. hack results not showing, black-bar at the top of the screen when entering the menu) just toggle Immersive Mode off and on again. That fixed things for me on my S5.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

54 days on the Sojourner medal however I'm flying off-shore for work on Monday. Back to square-one :downsgun:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've noticed recently that a fair number of people in my cell have gotten badges for past XM anomaly events (Interitus, Helios, Shonin, etc.) that I'm drat sure they didn't attend (I'm in Perth, Western Australia and we've never had a local XM anomaly event here, Persepolis will be our first I think). I know that badges are ordered on the profile screen by the date which you received them so seeing poo poo like this just looks suss (I know for a fact that this guy wasn't in attendance at the first Persepolis shindig on May 30 as he was building up the farm in my suburb):

So what's the deal here? Have people hoarded passcodes from events and are giving them away/selling them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah but the Founder badge was awarded in December 2014 whilst the Interitus anomaly was back in May 2014 and yet the guy has the latter and not the former :confused:

• Locked thread