Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Team Blue were well co-ordinated last night:

(my hosting, but not my screenshot)

I checked my phone this morning and everything was blue, which means I wouldn't be able to make any new links. Hats off to whoever sorted that, I imagine it took a poo poo ton of work to pull off :)

the main field was taken out about 20mins ago though, so I can pop out later and do green stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

I just learned about charging bursters when you attack. Made things much easier. Also got a capsule yesterday.

really ? I didn't think they were 'hackable' yet ?

spiny
May 20, 2004

zooted heh posted:

Im sitting in the parking lot trying to hack it. its been three days since ive gotten a item from the portal.

I think you're just unlucky. At least you'll be getting the 100AP for hacking an enemy portal though :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I miss the days when you could get black guardian from a portal that was merely "slightly" out of the way. Mine was level 7 and fully linked up and still survived another 70 days after the badges went live (on top of the 190 it already had)

One of my friends had a 303 day guardian that lived out it's final 15 days as a P8

yup, mine got to 211 days and it wasn't even out of the way, but some link clearers came to the village I live in and zeroed everything, I was hoping for 250 days :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is literally the point of eve online.

What's the best way to get my rear end from 7 to 8?

travel to a busy opposite faction area and blow poo poo up. you get extra points for breaking links.
Also deploy anything and everything you have, including two 'mods' - the points all add up. And don't forget to hack an opposing team portal -before- you blow it up, free 100 points :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Resistance have taken a slight lead

apparently, it's a very very small field causing a divide by zero or similar:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107524939323103025738/posts/YQS5tZQTHoX

spiny
May 20, 2004

Javid posted:

I can't yet fathom needing to burn a cube to recharge. I can run down my XM bar, bike to the next portal, and be full again. Presumably that's the difference between a level 4 XM bar and an 8+ one.

cubes are handy if you're attacking a portal thats not in the exact middle of a city, so if it has defences powerful enough to drain your XM during a hit, and the next nearest portal is 30 minutes walk, you need cubes to recharge and carry on.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I went green because out of the two 'teams' I preferred green, simple as that :)
When I joined, there were no portals within 10 miles of my house, so local players didn't matter, as there weren't any :) Theres loads of portals now, 42 of which are my submissions, so it's more fun to play these days, even if it now means my drive to work takes longer ... but I also get out and about on my pushbike in the evenings.

spiny
May 20, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Cons:
Just accept that anything you do will be destroyed within 15 minutes to an hour

^ that part makes me glad I was an 'early adopter' - I live i the sticks, in the UK, so when I started playing I submitted a few portals, that got accepted, I captured them, and it took 221 days before the blue team noticed :) so all this recent worry about Guardian portals has passed me by :D

spiny
May 20, 2004

He Extends

spiny
May 20, 2004

( https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/118054689537110054363?hl=en-GB )

spiny
May 20, 2004

current wait is approx. 3-4 months, so it will be a wait :/

I've been getting accepts/denies at around 120 - 130 days after submission, but your mileage may vary...

spiny
May 20, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Big cities have been getting some fast-tracking recently (possibly related to the missions)
Some people in Boston have gotten approvals/rejections within hours, even minutes in a few cases

I'm in the UK, not in a city ... the nearest mission to me is 25 miles away, the next nearest is 125 miles away :D
I've got about 100 portals in the 'queue' oldest is about 125 days, but I try and submit a few each week, I'm at 42 accepted, medal hunting is part of the game for me :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Tremors posted:

I dropped my battery pack yesterday while getting ready to go farming and it broke. Does anyone have one they'd recommend?

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Dual-Port-Compact-External-Portable/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411856622&sr=8-5&keywords=anker

they are more expensive in the UK :/

but are very good :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Morter posted:

Monroe, NC. About a half hour away from Charlotte but, granted, I'm not going to go up to Charlotte just to play the game.

looks to be about 20 portals in the center area, enough to have fun with and find out if you like the game. It's mostly green there, but there are also unclaimed portals, so it might be that there aren't many players in your area, which can be good or bad depending on your playing style.

spiny
May 20, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

You also get 100 points when you hack them. My kid tried the game once and she got to level 3 just by walking with me once through where we live and hacking only enemy portals.

200 at the moment, plus the current two week 'birthday bonus' thats in effect gives more items for hacking enemy portals.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I'm quite enjoying 'medal hunting' :) I've been L10 for ages, but I only need two more Gold. Planning trips to hit up enemy areas is quite nice, I've been to quite a few parks and open areas near me that I haven't been to in years :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

UK Players did a thing today (well, over the last two weeks really, but it finalised today :) )

As most of you hopefully know, it's Remembrance Sunday today, and it marks 100 years since the end of WW1 (Armistice Day is on the 11th) so one player decided that it would be a fitting tribute to blanket the UK with the Union Flag and a Poppy.
I can't imagine how much work and collaboration this took, there were many, many local hangouts created and lots of travel involved - I had to let a load of stuff decay and virus a few of my own portals as one of the links passed directly though the village I live in, but this is the result:

animated GIF (not mine):

IITC pic (not mine):

so glad it worked out, there appeared to have been a more than a few grumbly players upset about many things, but I guess some people would be upset by free AP ... :)

spiny fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 9, 2014

spiny
May 20, 2004

^ new badges live now, I just got a gold 'trekker', which is nice. The other two medals aren't being 'backdated' though as far as me and my ingress buddies can tell, so stats only recorded from early December.

spiny
May 20, 2004

This new 'All AXA branches are portals' - here in the UK, AXA is just an insurance broker, and I can't see that any of the branches in my nearest city have gone live yet - is there some American AXA thats a fast food chain or something, and non-USians are gonna get stiffed, again ?

spiny
May 20, 2004

cool, just have to wait for the local offices to go live then :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

I've been playing Ingress for well over a year and just now found out about two huge things I had been missing:

When firing an xmp, hold down the fire button until the swirling particles all converge on the arrow indicating your position. If you time it right you'll get a 20% bonus to damage. If you time it wrong you STILL get a bonus to damage, just at a lower percentage.

When you tap on a portal from the main screen it brings up the standard portal info pane. The key indicator up in the right corner that tells you if you have the portal's key is a button. Push it for the easy way to drop & farm keys.

Mind blown. Any other tips or tricks that you guys have run across?

tap the picture on the portal screen to get more info on the portal (if anyone has added any) AND then tap the camera icon to take a new photo - there is about a 2 week turnaround on photo submissions, and you get 500AP for each one. THEN, once it's accepted, scroll through the pics and click the 'like' icon - the pic with the most 'likes' is used as the main portal pic in intel and the scanner.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Portal submissions seem to be getting approved / denied at approx 200 days at the moment. I just had one go live that I submitted 206 days ago, back in August 2014, I've had a load this week approved (and denied :/ ) from between 195 and 220 days ago.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Penis, Metallica, litterbox, bowtie pasta

side bucket, bucket, other side bucket, van halen, eight o'clock

I try and try to remember them all, but I appear to be missing the 'glyphing gene' and I haven't even got enough points for the first medal yet. I pretty much play solo too, and play just to visit new places, either when I'm out and about with work, or cycling locally. I'm hardly fit, but I have definitely lost a few pounds with the extra cycling and walking the game has helped me do. I'm 2mil short of level 14 (and have the medals needed) so it's possible to progress if you live in the back end of nowhere like I do.

spiny
May 20, 2004

my nearest city is like that, I can walk for an hour and hack 100+ portals, but where I live its a 20 minute walk between portals, so it's bike-gressing or car-gressing. More annoyingly, the nearest portal to where I work is two miles away, I've submitted every interesting tree / lamppost / door / building / drain cover in the hope of getting one a bit nearer, but all have been denied :/

spiny
May 20, 2004

Guardian medal candidates are weird, I got my onyx with a church on a main road, got to 212 days before somebody bothered to stop and take it out, it was L5 and linked, hardly hidden :) my current longest held is at 302 days, and it's a pub :D It is off the beaten track, but has wifi :D it's basically pure luck nobody has found it and bothered to take it yet. I'm hoping to get it to 365 days.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Professor Moriarty posted:

What's the best way to actually SEE where all the nearby portals are outside of your scanner range? The scanner only seems to show the 2 nearest ones, if even that at times.

https://www.ingress.com/intel

type in your postcode/zip/nearest town, then zoom in and out to see higher or lower level portals.
it's a bit flaky on mobile, but fine on desktop.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Iunnrais posted:

A one time purchase of level 8, or even just level 6, might work. It's not like forcing you through the lower levels actually helps the game in any way, shape, or form. Spending money to buy your way INTO the game would thus be reasonable.

I suspect there'll be more sponsored portals though. Maybe a lot more.

McDonalds branded resonators etc.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Whee! A year and a day :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Theres no science to them as far as I know, I guess you've just been unlucky and has the empty slots replicated, rather than any items.
I have four with 95 items in each and went three days with no 'payout' so it can happen.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Meatwave posted:

or he is not well-adjusted in some way.

lots of players like that here, on both teams :D

spiny
May 20, 2004

Iunnrais posted:

Why is the amount of MU listed under "Now" so much lower than the amount it tells me I gained when I created the field? I just created a 1.4k field, and my "Now" tells me I have ~800 MU active, including my other portals. What gives?

there's a lot of lag on the realtime stats, it'll probably show the right value after about 20 minutes.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

You need to wait 130-odd days then rent yourself a boat.

wouldn't be the first time :D

I find that the level of caring about the Guardian badge depends on whether you have the 150 day badge or not :) My 385 day portal got taken a few weeks ago, I was annoyed only that it didn't get to 400 days :/
As for activly hunting guardian portals, it's difficult to call - I scour the map local to me to find Lev1 portals that I've not yet visited, and make a note to detour if I'm passing to get another 'unique capture' - if this is someone guardian, then, well, too bad.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Barrista posted:

I would say attack with L1 bursters to be annoying, but now only one notification goes out.

anyone know the wait until the game sends another attack notification ?

spiny
May 20, 2004

Roger Explosion posted:

Has anyone ever had the game outright ignore your linking before? I was fielding and the game said--in the feed--a link was established and then nothing happened. No actual link showed up, no field was made, and it still ate my portal key. This would not have been so bad if said portal key wasn't for a portal 25 goddamned loving kilometers away, thus loving ruining the biggest loving field I ever loving planned.

Happens a lot when the servers are busy, either the link will appear in a few minutes, or the key will magically re-appear in your inventory in a few hours.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Ratzap posted:

I'm traveling to London for a vendor bennie tomorrow after having failed to come up with a good excuse not to have to go. I checked the intel map for Kings Cross station to the Marble arch area and changed my mind - green portals far and wide. I'm 40k or so from level 8 at the moment so by the time I make my leisurely way from the station to the venue I should have it in the bag. 450 bursters and 50 ultras ready to go :)

There are approximately a trillion portals in London, and they all seem to swap sides daily. On the rare occasions I can persuade my work that I need to go to the big smoke, I take a few battery packs, do whatever work I need to do, then walk around / tube it for a few hours - hundreds of unique visits, and depending on smashy-ness captures too.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I need just over 1mil to get to L15, but i live, and work, in the back end of nowhere. I did spend most of last weekend in my local city though - got 2mil and walked about 20 miles :D Fingers crossed the weather is good this weekend and I can level up :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Probably old news, but recycling Power Cubes now gives the same amount of XM as using them, so instead of 'using' loads of L1 cubes, you can just recycle them all to get a quick XM boost. Plus if you do this while attacking a portal, it doesn't close the 'use burster' window :) neat!

Also, the latest build teardown seems to indicate that some sort of 'super cube' is coming, another sponsored item. No real info on what it will do yest though.

spiny
May 20, 2004

TheresaJayne posted:

Adas and Jarvises don't seem to dupe at the moment - and its looking like we will lose Jarvises at the end of VIA LUX

I'm still getting viruses in my MUFGs, plus I doubt very much that they would remove one and not both as it would be a massive unbalance for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

TheresaJayne posted:

Thats the point, we cannot hack ada, but we can still hack jarvis, VIA LUX is already looking like a smurf whitewash, so its likely the 2 options are

1) bring back Ada hacking
2) remove jarvises the same way ADA have been removed, meaning they become ultra rare only duping in MUFG

Ah, I thought the other poster meant they would be removed from inventory, not just unhackable, your post makes more sense.

Making both unhackable for an amount of time / ever would be an interesting strategy, I have loads of both at the moment which I use just to annoy the other side, but I'd start hoarding them I think :)

• Locked thread