Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

This show... this is going to be The show this season, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Great Rumbler posted:

Hey, if I can stand to watch those dreadful 3-minute shows that look like they were animated in Flash by someone who barely knew what they were doing, I can stand to watch pretty much anything.

gdgd Fairies AND Watamote are beter than most of what's airing this season :colbert:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just caught the raw episode. It looks like this show will be awesome.

Also
:siren:The show now airs at 1:05 eastern on Crunchyroll.:siren:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I kept waiting for someone to shout "WHAT UP PEOPLE" but, much to my disappointment, it did not happen.

That OP is amazing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

This show... this is going to be The show this season, isn't it?

I think it's a bit early to call that, but it certainly does have The Opening for this season.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

I think it's a bit early to call that, but it certainly does have The Opening for this season.

Fair enough. After reading the manga I have high hopes still. I know anything is possible but :ohdear:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

After episode 1: This is everything I ever wanted out of a Watamote anime, and then some.

Tomoko's voice is pretty much perfect.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 9, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Killer Queen posted:

The OP is glorious and far beyond my expectations. But it's a shame Shin Oonuma and Silver Link hosed everything else up

I'm glad that this post lowered my expectations going in because wow, you are basically the wrongest. Yes, all the budget was spent on faces, but that's okay because the faces complement the terrific voice acting. And yea, the excessive lens flairs and angular light casting are actually a pretty clever solution for making cheap backgrounds with visual interest, and they do adequately set the mood.

And as great as the OP is, I've loved the ending song since we got it in the PV, and the actual ED was really cute and clever IMHO.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I came into this show knowing exactly what to expect. The effect pushed it over the top to enhance the creepiness of Tomoko, but I still can't stop pausing every so often due to how awkward (as a character) she is.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

That was the best internet research scene in anything ever. I'm looking forward to some promising gifs in the near future.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Man, I'm already getting Maou withdraw as McDonald seems incomplete without him appearing there.

Nice Death Note tribute though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
That was both engaging and really hard to watch, poor Kuroki :ohdear:

I liked both the ED and OP, they both seemed very apropos to the show, the OP seemed like how Kuroki sees herself while the ED is more accurate.

How come the brother also has dark circles under his eyes?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked both the ED and OP, they both seemed very apropos to the show, the OP seemed like how Kuroki sees herself while the ED is more accurate.

Wouldn't you have dark circles under your eyes, if you had to deal with a sibling like Tomoko every day?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah, some parts of that were downright painful to watch. I mean, I'm pretty awkward myself but this poor girl is rejoicing over whispering one word to an attractive store clerk. :smith:

I think the dark circles under the eyes is some sort of family trait, at least that's the only thing I can think of.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

An accurate representation of a teenage boy who plays a lot of video games, I guess

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
The conflicting voices of Tomoko in the OP is what really sold it for me.

Also, is chains featuring in OPs going to become a thing?

Tomoko's internal monologue and music accompanying the awkward moments :allears:.

E: Is it weird that I think of Hidenori and Motoharu from Daily Lives of High School Boys when I hear the brother speak?

Khagan fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 9, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
This show is gonna be loving rough to get through. I certainly have some mild social anxiety, so seeing the very extreme end of it in this show is disturbing. Its reminding me a lot of "Young Adult" actually. Also, its so odd to watch an anime where they go out of their way to make the main character hideous at points.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Painful social awkwardness is every bit as hilarious as I'd hoped.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Konomi Suzuki and Kiba of Akiba did the OP track.

Konomi being the female voacals, Kiba being the rest.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That was pretty much everything I was hoping for with the anime. Not laugh-out-loud funny like the manga, but Tomoko's voice, the portrayal of her inner thoughts, and appearance were all spot-on. I love how they're keeping it similar to the manga in that you can feel sorry for her but you know that she's not necessarily a good person. Really looking forward to the next episode. Also, both the opening and ending were fantastic and fitting.

That said, man is it weird to see it animated and in color. I'm so used to black-and-white.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That was a great first episode, loved every minute of it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That was even harder to watch than it was to read.

We're in for a top notch anime.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I seriously CANNOT WAIT for the episodes with her cousin.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ok, I made it to the McDonald's scene before I started feeling cringy. Well done, anime, well done :golfclap:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rexides posted:

Ok, I made it to the McDonald's scene before I started feeling cringy. Well done, anime, well done :golfclap:

Yeah I was pretty much trying to fuse my face with my knees at that point.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

End of the ep really bummed me out. :smith:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
The WcDonalds scene in the manga is probably the biggest cringer for me out of the early chapters, seeing it animated was painful. :smith:

At least Tomoko's voice is perfect and both the ED and OP are amazing in entirely different ways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god. I think this show hits a bit too close to home for me to ever enjoy watching it. :smith:

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
First episode was... really depressing. Does the rest of the anime stay like this? I really cannot see what is so funny about a kid the highlight of whose day is managing some words to a store clerk.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fightest posted:

First episode was... really depressing. Does the rest of the anime stay like this? I really cannot see what is so funny about a kid the highlight of whose day is managing some words to a store clerk.

The jokes are based around her being somewhat disgusting and extremely socially awkward. I imagine that most of the anime will be like this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Her behavior is very goofy; it's never a serious depiction of someone with extreme social anxiety. The focus is on Tomoki being bizarre and angsty.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fightest posted:

It's mostly cringe humor, a humorous and exaggerated portrayal of a socially inept person that is still oddly relateable and realistic.

I wonder how long I'll last watching this though. Some of these chapters I had to outright stop reading partway through out of second-hand shame.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
It also has some relatively :unsmith: moments, like the umbrella

Edit: The Manga, this part hasn't been in the anime yet.

jalopybrown fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 9, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

Her behavior is very goofy; it's never a serious depiction of someone with extreme social anxiety. The focus is on Tomoki being bizarre and angsty.

Goofy yes, but man it still manages to tear you up watching it. The show is structured around jokes, but those jokes don't make you laugh as much as want to cry. It's kind of awesome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

End of the ep really bummed me out. :smith:

I was expecting a punchline at the end where her brother offered to walk her home, but no, It just ended there. Of course, the manga (ch. 3) ended the same way, so that's fair.

The series is about 50% of Tomoko being horrible out of her own malice, 30% feeling :smith: for her because it isn't her fault in that instance (see: the prequel manga and her bike's training wheels), and 20% feeling :unsmith: because she got better as a person.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

That first episode felt like it fit the tone of the manga pretty well; voice acting seemed spot-on. It was all really uncomfortable.

:getin:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

I was expecting a punchline at the end where her brother offered to walk her home, but no, It just ended there. Of course, the manga (ch. 3) ended the same way, so that's fair.

It was kind of sweet, and but it also revealed how pathetic the situation is because such a small thing was such a big deal. So yea, it's perfect.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 9, 2013

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
Holy poo poo this was incredible. I probably laughed more than I did reading the manga. Way to go Silver Link.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
That metal as all hell OP completely threw me for a loop and I'm presently in love with it. Immediately put me in a good mood.

Which was then swiftly destroyed upon actually watching the episode, that frequently proved equal parts hilarious and extremely painful. Definitely sticking with this one for its duration, that first episode left a strong first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

That metal as all hell OP completely threw me for a loop and I'm presently in love with it. Immediately put me in a good mood.

Which was then swiftly destroyed upon actually watching the episode, that frequently proved equal parts hilarious and extremely painful. Definitely sticking with this one for its duration, that first episode left a strong first impression.

I'm about half way through 1st episode and yeah, that sums it up. The show does its job well. :D

• Locked thread