Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

coreycoryecorey posted:

Light was pretty messed up, but I was talking more about a typical high school slice of life anime where the main character is awful.

Just this last season we had My Youth Romantic Comedy SNAFU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

coreycoryecorey posted:

Have we had a story like this where the main protagonist is like Tomoko? The only other anime I have seen where the main character is horribly broken is School Days, but Makoto was broken in like the complete opposite direction.

There's Welcome to the NHK, where the protagonist is a creepy, drug-addicted, NEET shut-in and somehow gets better AND worse at the same time as the series went along. Or something like that, I don't really remember much after the first few episodes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
WATAMOTE ~No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys Fault I’m Not Popular!~ is set to broadcast every Tuesday starting on July 9, at 12:05a.m. Pacific Time for premium members, with free members able to watch one week later. More information can be found on https://www.crunchyroll.com/watamote.

Updating at 3am eastern

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just a note, that link isn't live yet. None of the newly announced ones are it seems.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
That's a 14-hour delay from the Japanese airing time, right?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Can I bring up the manga in this thread? There's a new chapter out, and Watamote's social aptitude in it is pretty startling.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Can I bring up the manga in this thread? There's a new chapter out, and Watamote's social aptitude in it is pretty startling.

Huh. Yeah, in the latest chapter she was somehow not entirely repulsive. Well that was different.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Huh. Yeah, in the latest chapter she was somehow not entirely repulsive. Well that was different.

She's had a couple of those types of chapters recently. The graduation chapter in particular which is one of my favorites of the whole lot.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah, taking in the whole manga at once yesterday, I'd have to say that it's not so much that Kuroki never learns or grows up so much as any learning and growing that happens is subtle and inconsistent and never in such a way that she really notices it; no sudden changes or epiphanies or any of her weird plans actually working, just baby steps. It's pretty realistic in that regard!

And she's a regular little poo poo in the middle-school prequel 4koma for a stark and hilarious contrast.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There should probably be another thread for the manga or we might run into another AoT scenario of everyone in the anime thread getting mad at the manga spoilers.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Is the original mangaka a woman? Just wondering.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

There should probably be another thread for the manga or we might run into another AoT scenario of everyone in the anime thread getting mad at the manga spoilers.
I agree in principle, but the fact that there wasn't already interest enough for a manga thread coupled with the fact that this isn't filled with :asoiaf: plot twists like AoT makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Although the subject material coupled with the right audience might have the potential to create some :allears: reaction videos (If you enjoy watching people squirm uncomfortably I guess?)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zogundar posted:

I agree in principle, but the fact that there wasn't already interest enough for a manga thread coupled with the fact that this isn't filled with :asoiaf: plot twists like AoT makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Although the subject material coupled with the right audience might have the potential to create some :allears: reaction videos (If you enjoy watching people squirm uncomfortably I guess?)

I don't know, it already gets talked about in the General Shounen Thread whenever a new chapter gets posted. I don't think it has enough discussion for its own thread.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

I believe so. Otherwise the penis pics someone from 4chan sent the author or artist would have been doubly weird.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Monkey Man posted:

It's a guy.

From the interwebs:
'Tanigawa Nico' is a pen name of two manga artists.

ViggyNash posted:

I'm kinda conflicted on the issue. They're going to burn through the chapters pretty quick if the preview is showing events from chapter 1 and then jumping straight to chapter 4.

Considering the time it takes to make a show, I would guess they'll cut off the anime somewhere near a new year or graduation day. From what I've experienced with other anime adaptations, we'll get content from chapters 1-32 (Last chapter of volume 3 and new year issue) with a somehow happy ending. I'm certain what is coming out now won't be included.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I believe so. Otherwise the penis pics someone from 4chan sent the author or artist would have been doubly weird.

There is nothing about that sentence that is not doubly weird.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

Supposedly the author is a guy and the artist is a woman.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

We didn't invent the internet for this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wait... First time seeing them? Is that a bad translation or...

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Mordaedil posted:

Wait... First time seeing them? Is that a bad translation or...

I have to assume it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the manga chapter where Kuroki googles dick pics in the middle of class just so she can see what real dicks look like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I have to assume it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the manga chapter where Kuroki googles dick pics in the middle of class just so she can see what real dicks look like.

That incident happened before the chapter was released if I remember right so the chapter may be the one referencing real life.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I remember the thread where this happened. At first we thought the guy was kidding, as is typically the case. He was not. It is rare to see genuine disgust on /a/, but it sure was there in that thread!

As for the show itself, the fact that the ending has her loving vomiting mid-song tells me that they know what they are doing with this, so I'm pretty hyped.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's joke you dipshits.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh no I wonder if the fair drawing maiden was scarred and damaged by a picture of a penis *spits in a hand, combs back hair*

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

It's joke you dipshits.

So did you shoot it hard or flacid?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ugh I guess I was in a pissy mood. He or she is making fun of the /a/'s dick.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maybe she meant that it was her first time seeing an american penis.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Not even at page two and already the thread is starting to get into uncomfortable, awkward territory.

All is as it should be.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Supposedly the author is a guy [...]

If this is true is when the questions start.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Actually it was /v/. Apparently /a/ was also pissed off about this poo poo too.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Phobophilia posted:

"It was so small and malformed that I couldn't even tell what it was at first!"

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Goddamn the OP for this show :allears:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Just watched ep 1 live.

:allears:

The OP is loving hilarious.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

The OP is loving hilarious.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11nsip_watamote-op_shortfilms#.UdsO3flwpAI

My god. It is amazing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

That thing is metal as hell.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Triggerhappypilot posted:

That thing is metal as hell.

It's time for something completely different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3yejyoBktg

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The OP is glorious and far beyond my expectations. But it's a shame Shin Oonuma and Silver Link hosed everything else up from from the 3DCG streets to the bizarre Jintai-style pastel lighting to shiny foreheads and more inexplicable production decisions. I wanted to yell when Tomoko got struck by lightning and it filled half the screen with this super ugly effect. The direction is really obnoxious and detracts from the show. The scene transitions feel off too. The budget is very low, but it's much less of a problem than the poor direction. The voice casting is very good with Izumi Kitta spot-on going nuts as Tomoko, but there's really nothing else here over the manga, and I'm not going to slog through 21 minutes each week for that alone.

The only way I can see anyone liking the Watamote anime is if they have low standards and just want to see it barely animated. Never trust Shin Oonuma.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 8, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

That is chuuni as balls. :10bux: says there's a Madoka Magica nicovid of it before the month is up.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Killer Queen posted:

The only way I can see anyone liking the Watamote anime is if they have low standards and just want to see it barely animated. Never trust Shin Oonuma.

Hey, if I can stand to watch those dreadful 3-minute shows that look like they were animated in Flash by someone who barely knew what they were doing, I can stand to watch pretty much anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This looks like a show about a short ugly girl flipping the gently caress out and killing people. I would like to watch this show.

• Locked thread