Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Minor update: Anime Network now has Watamote streaming if for some reason you were waiting for that to happen. Also, despite the fact their trailer has an English voice that is supposedly Tomoko, they claim they are not getting a dub.

The anime may be over now, but the comic is ongoing at http://www.ganganonline.com/comic/watashiga/. Be sure to buy the offical localizations when they come out.

NOTE:This is the official source for Watamote in Japan. It is posted free online. Scanlations are still :filez:

:siren::siren: New Watamote OVA scheduled for October 2014 release :siren::siren:

Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!(No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!). WataMote for short is a popular manga series by Nico Tanigawa about a girl and her inability to interact with the normal world. One notable thing is its popularity on 4chan. After the scanlations and reaction images started appearing everywhere on 4chan, the manga company added the line "A smash hit on the overseas version of 2chan!!" to the cover of later chapters. It has even spun off into a prequil series called Watashi no Tomodachi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui(No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault That My Friend's Not Popular.)

Official Site: http://www.watamote.jp/
Crunchyroll Stream: https://www.crunchyroll.com/watamote
Plot:
The story revolves around Tomoko Kuroki's life. She's a 15 year old Middle School student about to enter High School. Tomoko has played so many otome games that she claims to have 50 years of High School experience and had 100 boyfriends. She believes that she is a popular girl. In reality she is a Mojo(creepy woman) who barely interacts with the outside world. She also has poor social skills so everything comes out wrong when she does try to talk to someone. The only people she can talk to normally is her middle school friend and her cousin.

The story picks up a month later when she relizes she isn't popular at all despite all her planning. We see her struggle through her high school years throughout the series. It promises tons of awkward moments and plenty of uncomfortable fantisizing.

Why should you watch it?
Tomoko's plans to become popular always result in failure and are quite hilarious. Many things she tries revolve around Anime and the Otome games she plays. If you ever felt out of place in High School, some of the attempts may even be familiar to you (like trying to mimick an emotionless character.) There also isn't a love interest so there won't be any anguishing over Anime-Kun not paying attention to her.

Characters:

The main character of the show. As stated above, she is a creepy girl who plays dating sims and reads manga all day. What she would really like is to be popular. She spends lots of time planning and critisizing people in her head, but still ends up doing nothing at all. When she tries to make herself look cute, she ends up looking worse.
Voiced by Izumi Kitta, famous for roles in Brave10, Cardfight!!, and Vanguard. Also the voice of Rainbow Dash in Japanese dub of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.

The boy focused on in the preview is not some guy Tomoko is swooning over, it's her younger brother. Tomoko will bug him daily to practice talking to other people. He's still in middle school, but is normal with an interest in soccer.
Voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura, famous for roles such as Gray Fullbuster in Fairy Tail, N in Pokemon,and Tomoya Okazaki in Clannad.

She is Tomoko's friend from middle school, when she looked like this

Now she looks like this

She goes to a different High School than Tomoko, so she won't appear too often. Her change of appearance really bothers Tomoko and she becomes obsessed over Yu's appearance.
Voiced by:Kana Hanazawa, famous for roles in Fate/Prototype, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino, and Infinite Stratos.

Staff:
Studio: SILVER LINK(Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts , Chitose Get You!!) They also did the key/finishing animation for many more well known series like Fate/Zero, IDOLM@STER, and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Director: Shin Oonuma(Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts, Natsu no Arashi!)
Scripts: Takao Yoshioka (The Familiar of Zero, High School DxD)
Animation Director: Hideki Furukawa (Date A Live, Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens)
Sound Director: Satoshi Motoyama
Music: Sadesper Record

There will be a total of 12 episodes, similar to other manga series that got adaptations like The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and Mysterious Girlfriend X. The previews focus heavily on things that happened in the 4th chapter of the book, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Anime takes a few chapters at a time.

The manga has been picked up by Yen Press with a release date of October 2013 for the first volume, with the others due out in January 2014 and April 2014 respectively. As such, linking to the scanlations is considered :filez: by the forum rules.
Click Here if you want more info.

Air Time and Streaming:

The show airs Tuesdays at 2:05 AM JST (Mondays at 1:05 Eastern) in Japan on TVTOKYO (TV listings show this as 26:00 Monday)

Crunchyroll has picked up the streaming rights. It can be viewed here.
Episodes will go up at 1:05 AM Eastern (10:05 Pacific) Tuesdays (14 hours after airing in Japan.)

NicoNico will be airing the episodes a week after TV airing here

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPNaCGQjDFc
Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbs1slCTh0
OP :black101:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11nsip_watamote-op_shortfilms

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Episodes:
As stated above, each episode goes live 1:05AM eastern on Tuesdays. Crunchyroll premium members can watch the newest episode, while free viewers see the episodes with a week long delay.

Lament 1: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Change My Image a Bit
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 1,2, and 4 of the manga.

Lament 2: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll See My Old Friend
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 3, 7, and 9 of the manga.

Lament 3: Since I'm Not Popular, The Weather's Bad
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 5, 23, and 25 of the manga.

Lament 4: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Have a Good Dream
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 26, 24, 8, and 9.5 of the manga.

Lament 5: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Boost My Skills
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 10, 22, and 28 of the manga.

Lament 6: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Go See the Fireworks
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 6, 11, and 12 of the manga.

Lament 7: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Enjoy My Summer Break
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 13, 17, and Volume 1 Omake of the manga. We also get a bit of original content.

Lament 8: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Put On Airs aka The Cousin Episode :getin:
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 14, 15, and 16 of the manga.

Lament 9: Since I'm Not Popular, Summer is Ending
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 29, 32, and 18 of the manga.

Lament 10: Since I'm Not Popular, The Second Term is Starting:smith:
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 19 and 27 of the manga.

Lament 11: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Take Part in the Culture Festival
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 20 and 21 of the manga.

Lament 12: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Think About the Future
Crunchyroll
Covers chapters 31 and 34 of the manga. Also an anime original segment.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 24, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
WATAMOTE ~No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys Fault I’m Not Popular!~ is set to broadcast every Tuesday starting on July 9, at 12:05a.m. Pacific Time for premium members, with free members able to watch one week later. More information can be found on https://www.crunchyroll.com/watamote.

Updating at 3am eastern

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Monkey Man posted:

Is the original mangaka a woman? Just wondering.

It's a guy.

From the interwebs:
'Tanigawa Nico' is a pen name of two manga artists.

ViggyNash posted:

There should probably be another thread for the manga or we might run into another AoT scenario of everyone in the anime thread getting mad at the manga spoilers.

I'm kinda conflicted on the issue. They're going to burn through the chapters pretty quick if the preview is showing events from chapter 1 and then jumping straight to chapter 4.

Considering the time it takes to make a show, I would guess they'll cut off the anime somewhere near a new year or graduation day. From what I've experienced with other anime adaptations, we'll get content from chapters 1-32 (Last chapter of volume 3 and new year issue) with a somehow happy ending. I'm certain what is coming out now won't be included.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just caught the raw episode. It looks like this show will be awesome.

Also
:siren:The show now airs at 1:05 eastern on Crunchyroll.:siren:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was a really good adaptation of the source material. I can't wait to see the next episode. I wonder if they're going to rearrange anything for the next ones though. Chapter 5 really doesn't fit with 7,8&9.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Man, this show is going for some obscure references right off the bat

Never would have expected to see a Bryger reference, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YxRG-52T4

Everything game/manga related in the show is a parody of something. Square-Enix loves to reference real life things in their manga. IIRC The soccer game poster was a Pro Evolution Soccer parody and her brother was reading an Inazuma Eleven comic in a large comics magazine like Corocoro.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 12, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, they're starting to go off the rails from the manga now. It's all content from the chapters mentioned, but they're definitely not going to follow the numbering order. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get some original episodes.

E: It also looks like they're going to change the ending theme weekly.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 16, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Caithness posted:

I just assumed it was a one-time special ending for the second episode.

The Mimi wo Sumaseba homage was great.

It could be that too...

As far as anime references go, you can still count the non gaming related anime I've watched on one hand. I'm sure I'm missing a LOT.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, with the way they're jumping all over the place manga wise, any event can happen at any time. since Yu is a main character according to the anime website, they'll probably work all her appearances into each episode.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This episode really jumped around for content. If you haven't already, abandon any attempt at reading the manga alongside the series. They even made some original content for the anime.

E:Also, now that I think about it the umbrella that the boys give her in chapter 5 was the one that she had in chapter 23, so where did it come from? :iiam:.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
She's slightly better in some chapters. Slightly. The way they're jumping around like this makes me think they'll put the ones where she's not as awkward together as some sort of character growth.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured out most of the chapters covered here. I didn't really get anything for the pre credits scene. Was that original for the anime?

E: That was chapter 26

They're just burning through these chapters. I'm pretty sure we have several of the future episodes already determined too.

Summer vacation
Culture Festival
Cousin Visit
Christmas/New Year
Graduation day
Possibly one super creepy episode based around sex.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 30, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well she had at least 2 friends in middle school. (One of which hated her because she was a massive bitch to her.)

The most recent issue makes it seems like she had 3, but forgot the one she hated.

Another special ending this week. I would love it if someone told me what it was referencing.
They got a lot out of this one considering how few pages they had to work with.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another special ending this week.

What I like most about this series is that there isn't just one horrible cringe inducing part. Everything is so horrible you can't stop watching.

That being said, the first chapter covered falls under the "yeah, I can't say I read this to normal people" part of the manga.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Episode 7 incoming.

I think they added some original content to this episode. I'm still working on finding all the moments in the manga, but one chunk of it I don't remember happening at all.

Also:
Tomoko has good taste in games.

You will cringe in this one.

E: She appears to be wearing something from Chapter 38 in this Episode. Just how far are they going to go?

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 20, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The scene with the family video of her and her brother was loving great, I foresee blackmail opportunities in Tomoko's future if she ever gets ahold of that video.

That specific scene was an extra thrown in to the first volume of the manga.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This episode is played pretty straight. All 3 cousin chapters back to back. This is going to be horrifying when I can watch it subbed.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't feel much personally when I read it and I didn't have to pause it like in the previous one. I figured it was something that everyone was waiting for. Recalling what is left, I don't think there's much cringe worthy material remaining. There's still a culture festival where she invites Yu, winter break/new year(with more cousin action), graduation day, and probably a 3rd part of summer vacation left if we're only getting 12 episodes, and in most of those she's nowhere near as bad as in the early ones. I hope they decide to do a second season. If not, the aforementioned graduation day episode will likely be made a lot happier. I'm thinking this is more a one off deal because they borrowed an outfit from a much later chapter in episode 7.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame that Crunchyroll doesn't translate the ending themes. They've all been relevant to the story. :effort:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Watamote technically hasn't even gone international yet. The first volume isn't even out until October. Right now it's only the hardcore scanlation crowd that has seen all the issues. Unfortunately the stuff that sells outside of Japan are the Sunday morning and primetime anime. I mean, this is on the air at 2AM in Japan being done by a studio with more credits for filling animation than original shows from what I could tell on their profile.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Updated the OP with tonight's episode.

Yu returns for a segment, a chapter from late in Volume 3, and the end of summer break.

These chapters were really kind of dull overall. I think they did a good job in translating it to animation. Also, there's a reference to a particular scene from K-On. I've never even watched the show but got the reference immediately.

It's interesting that they moved two winter break chapters into summer. Unfortunately that probably means this season is definitely a one off deal. The Manga only goes to chapter 47(well, at least in a couple days it will) and they've been taking elements from issues as late as 37. They'll need a lot of source material to continue this thing on, weather or not if it is popular. The anime was announced in December last year, which was around the release of chapter 32.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's what the subbing groups say the ED lyrics translate to:

quote:

I can't even hold a conversation
I really have no clue why
Am I an idiot?
I'm all alone on the way home
I can't even say goodbye to anyone
Sitting around and waiting won't change anything
That's it!
This is just the beginning!
Everything's so simple online
It's been a while since I last spoke (bleh)
Even being in the sun or rain won't change anything
That's it!
It's not my fault!
So what if I have nothing to do?
So what if I'm all alone?
If I get serious
I'll definitely get popular!
Mirror mirror on the wall, do you wanna shatter and fall?
No! Stop! No more!
Mirror mirror on the wall, you don't have to say it at all!
Just pretend you can't hear it
You never reflect my beautiful inner self
That's just in your head, it's all in your head
It's always this unappealing side of me
Face the truth
Tomorrow will be the same as yesterday
I really have no clue why
I'm an idiot

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the anime is definitely going to end on a good note, while the manga will continue to have awful Tomoko.

I'm pretty sure Tomoki going to her school is a spoiler for the anime. It's likely going to be wrapped up into the final episode, so try to not mention this fact in the clear until after the event occurs. I think there will be a cutoff around chapter 37 (if you read the manga you know why) because the following chapter's outfit appeared in the anime in an original bit.

Speaking of which, we only have 3 episodes left.

Fall/School Festival, Winter Break, Spring/Graduation Day are the most likely candidates.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 8, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This week's episode is rather tame and really just makes you feel sorry for her. There's a couple of art jokes, but just overall it's a very sad episode. They also only used two chapters for content from what I can tell.

It looks like the final episodes may very well be Culture Festival and New Year

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's far worse when you can read the dialogue. I actually teared up a bit. They know just how to push buttons.

E: I'd also like to say this never happens when I watch cartoons, but somehow this one was like a punch in the gut or something.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 10, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least we know for sure now the next episode is definitely the culture festival I think those chapters ended on a :unsmith: note

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Going Home Club refrenced Watamote

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really hoping tonight's episode is going to be a little more positive. I couldn't do two weeks in a row of an episode like last week.

In other news, the last episode appears to be titled Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Think About the Future :unsmith:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, all my :filez: sources seem to cut off at the last 4 minutes, but I've seen enough to update the OP.

Also, I hope you like that thing that was popular on the internet last year:

Watamote OVA announced for October 2014

http://www.capsulecomputers.asia/2013/09/watamote-ova-announced-for-next-year/

http://www.ganganonline.com/special/watamote7/

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They have to wrap it up as a series, so the ending should be somewhat happy. This is the third anime I've watched based on an ongoing manga.It seems what they like to do is take some chapter marking the end of the year or some other special event and give it some sort of ending that brings closure but doesn't entirely rule out another series. EG: Tomoko going "I made an anime original friend, maybe things will turn out fine next year"

That being said, the last episode being about the future leaves only a couple chapters from the manga since it appears to be cut off somewhere in the 30s. There actually is a chapter where she talks with Yuu about what she wanted to do in the future, so that is a strong candidate. Tomoki's entrance papers could be wrapped in with Tomoko going out on her birthday. Last but not least, there is a graduation chapter that was at least in the can around the time the anime was made where it ends on an ok note.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 17, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Going by the episodes we have seen so far, these chapters are what we have left that could appear in the final episode:

I would guess we'll get 2-4 of them. I really want to see 31(this is a given), 35, and 37 but it's likely we could only get 30 and 31.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 17, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unless they start picking and choosing, that's the next chapter on the list.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

A new manga chapter's out and it's pretty loving funny, it's basically a catfight over who can be more pathetic and I laughed pretty hard at almost the entire chapter, especially the ending. Great stuff.

This whole second year has been hilarious. I hope those two end up as friends by the end of this saga.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Watamote is a licensed manga now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I went ahead and updated the OP with the last episode's title and crunchyroll link. It should air on TVTokyo around 1PM eastern, but we still have to wait until this evening to see it officially subbed.

E3: A majority of the episode is anime original, with chapter 31 and 34 mixed in. We got so close to the Graduation and New Year's chapters too.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 24, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Well, that was a nicer ending than I expected. She learns gently caress-all and changes nothing, but at least she tried. And there's hints she might be getting less crazy. Guessing she isn't really, but with it ending on that note you can always imagine things get better after that. And if they don't, well, it's still funny.

Also Yuu getting distracted by the cat was great. :3: I think I'm going to have to start reading the manga.

The manga is great. They played it pretty straight here aside from moving a few winter events to summer. You can probably start right off with chapter 31 and skip straight to 35 without much trouble.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The manga is ongoing, but it's technically an online comic. The Omake came from the published version of Volume 5 which came out on the 21st. Chapter 48 was out on the 19th.

http://www.ganganonline.com/comic/watashiga/:pcgaming:

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 27, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do they find these people? Seriously. She sounds more like an overexited anime fan that would be shouting meme... maybe they got it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Technically linking scanlations do break the rules, but the manga is also on the official site in the OP. My own thought is that it is :filez:. That is why the official site with the original Japanese webcomic is the only thing I link in the OP.

Volumes 1-3 are the only chapters licensed at the moment, and this stuff is coming from what will be volume 5. Really the only things unique to the print version would be the omake.

That being said, post at your own risk.

• Locked thread