Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cisneros posted:

I think they really failed to capture the heroine's trashy look.

I think they captured it perfectly, and then let that trashiness take over the entire show. You might be able to dismiss it as just being a bad studio, if stuff like the song in the OP wasn't so over the top terrible. It's not for everyone but I'm really excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Killer Queen posted:

The OP is glorious and far beyond my expectations. But it's a shame Shin Oonuma and Silver Link hosed everything else up

I'm glad that this post lowered my expectations going in because wow, you are basically the wrongest. Yes, all the budget was spent on faces, but that's okay because the faces complement the terrific voice acting. And yea, the excessive lens flairs and angular light casting are actually a pretty clever solution for making cheap backgrounds with visual interest, and they do adequately set the mood.

And as great as the OP is, I've loved the ending song since we got it in the PV, and the actual ED was really cute and clever IMHO.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

Her behavior is very goofy; it's never a serious depiction of someone with extreme social anxiety. The focus is on Tomoki being bizarre and angsty.

Goofy yes, but man it still manages to tear you up watching it. The show is structured around jokes, but those jokes don't make you laugh as much as want to cry. It's kind of awesome.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

I was expecting a punchline at the end where her brother offered to walk her home, but no, It just ended there. Of course, the manga (ch. 3) ended the same way, so that's fair.

It was kind of sweet, and but it also revealed how pathetic the situation is because such a small thing was such a big deal. So yea, it's perfect.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 9, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guys, this thread is supposed to be unpopular!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robert Denby posted:

What struck me most about that scene was the brother's reaction. It wasn't shock or concern, just, "not this poo poo again", as if he's put up with these threats so much that he just doesn't react to them, which really hit home how hosed-up our main character is.

Huh? I got the exact opposite impression: that this was the first time she had done this to him. And he does look guilty when he first gets the sense that he upset her, and surprised that her life is this bad. This makes sense: it's not like Tomoko is good at letting others know how she feels.

He does underreact to the suicide threat, but that's mostly because Tomoki doesn't show how he feels about anything (unless he's caught off guard, like he was at first, but that was a really long suicide threat). He is annoyed, but it's because she is being annoying, but he still does give a drat. He's just really bad at expressing that.

I think that if this was a regular thing he wouldn't actually listen to her.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stalin-Chan posted:

I don't get how everyone is sympathetic to this character, everytime I start to feel sorry for her she kind of acts like a prick and then I feel bad just for feeling bad for her.

She reminds me of David Brent, she wants to be popular but instead shes just kind of a self centered jerk. It's really just cringe inducing comedy.

Unlike David Brent, it's not like she should know better.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

She's what? 16? She kinda should by that age.

She should, but she doesn't. Her family never taught her social skills and she has some obvious untreated anxiety issues that she has had for a long time.

I'm not saying that she's blameless, part of what makes her a great character is how she sabotages herself, but she was never taught how not to do that. What makes David Brent a great character is that he obviously had basic skills like this at one point, and then completely lost them the moment a camera was pointed at him. This is a little different!

Although I probably shouldn't talk, as I empathise with David Brent as well :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stalin-Chan posted:

Nobody has really been unkind or anything to her so far.

She did get that indirect insult from one of her brother's friends. You can't call her bullied, but it's not like there's no external reason for her problems. Although yea, a lot of that is attitude.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zogundar posted:

Does that have an Anime Original Ending? I see the manga is still publishing according to MAL. Or was this a joke suggestion and it's bad ::avoid avoid avoid::

It's amazing. Once you get past the initial shock of the rotoscoping, the whole things comes together into something wonderful. And yea, it follows the manga pretty closely, it just ends at a part that kind of works as an ending (even though the manga goes beyond that).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

The dad was pretty cool to take it in stride.

I don't know why, but that scene makes me tear up a little. It's something about the way that we don't see the dad at all before this, so we can assume that he works so much that he barely sees is his kids, and the way his decision to just put her to bed is both sweet in a "he still loves his little girl" way and also sort of resigned. He's just way too tired to freak out about it. And the way she smiles in her sleep at the end there just slays me jesus christ.

The fact that she doesn't see her father much can't be helping her grow up to be a better person, so the whole thing is bittersweet, but when compared to the way her teacher reacts to her previously in the episode it's just so much better for her.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

I'll have a few chuckles at the episode, but the overdramatic goon reactions in this thread is the real source of comedy for me.

The proper way to react to this show is to overreact :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crunchyroll takes whatever they can get from the production companies. It's a little bit of a miracle that they get their shows out at the same time every week, much less with or without fan art.

There's a segment at the end of Servant x Service episodes where they ask a trivia question and then tell you to go to a website that's completely incomprehensible to Crunchroll's audience of non-Japanese speakers (and in the first episode they translated the question wrong). It's kind of broken and no one would care if they took it out, but they keep it in for shits and giggles which is kind of their thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, peeping on people having sex in a love hotel with male middle schoolers, as a high school aged girl, is "Heartwarming" not "Horrendously mortifying".

It's completely unrealistic that it's this cute, but the boys are so harmless and sweet about their peeping, and there is this whole, these are my people! vibe to it, that it made me grin ear to ear. I think that might say more about me than the show, however.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was expecting something of a let down after the amazingness of last week, but man even a relatively mundane story like this can make for a really good episode. The "It's You're Fault I'm Popular" part was perfection, and I'm a sucker the affection (buried under layers and layers of loathing) between Tomoko and her brother so the cicada basically made my life.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

Watamote OVA announced for October 2014

I'm going to need about that long to recover from this season.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VoLaTiLe posted:

I saw a section on the NHK news channel today (Japanese news station) in it they spoke about Watamote and that stated the anime has been a massive hit, especially with the western market.

Isn't that basically saying "a lot of people are watching it on Crunchyroll"? That might be a big deal for that service if views there are enough to make an impact on the production team.

Of course this is in many ways the Watamote team finding something positive to say, and like, it might not be enough to actually affect what is made, but still, I think it's a cool thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, it is cringeworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

Sure, they just made an English version of the logo and had some random girl narrate the preview in English.

You're being sarcastic but that's exactly what happened. The show was licensed by Sentai Filmworks, and only about half of their shows get dubbed while all of them get english logos. I have no idea why they made a trailer that implied there was a dub, but note that there's nothing in it that matches the animation.

• Locked thread