Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Be a hero for real this time - Let's Play MediEvil

Final video: Zarok's Lair - Youtube Polsy Dailymotion

What is MediEvil?
MediEvil is a platform game for the Playstation, though there isn't that much platforming. Most of the game revolves around the combat; you get a lot of weapons, and even more enemies to use them on. The closest comparison I can think of is Ratchet & Clank, with a bigger emphasis on melee.

Plot
The introduction explains it well enough, but if you never want to see a bad Playstation FMV again, here's what's happening and why:

In the Kingdom of Gallowmere lived an evil sorceror, Zarok. Everyone else in Gallowmere was kind and peaceful, and this annoyed Zarok so much that he summoned a horde of undead and tried to take over Gallowmere. The King sent his army to stop Zarok. They were led by the famous hero Sir Daniel Fortesque, who won the King's favour with tales of slain dragons and the like.

It's strongly implied that Dan made these up, since he was the very first casualty of the battle, dying from an arrow through the eye. The King's army defeated Zarok's, but Zarok himself disappeared. Since your best warrior looking incompetent is bad for morale, the King spread the tale that Sir Fortesque died from his wounds after single handedly winning the battle. He was buried as a hero, and is still remembered as one.

However, Dan was unable to enter the Hall of Heroes, where heroes go after death; you can't fool the afterlife, and they knew he had nothing to do with Zarok's defeat.

A hundred years later, Zarok returns, and picks up where he left off by summoning a horde of undead to take over Gallowmere. His spell also revives Sir Daniel Fortesque, who somehow retains his sense of self while everyone else is mumbling about brains. Dan jumps at the chance to finally do the thing that made him a hero in the first place, and the game begins.

Videos:

Introduction (no commentary): Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Dan's Crypt and The Graveyard: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Cemetery Hill: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Hilltop Mausoleum: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Return to the Graveyard: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Ant Caves: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Scarecrow Fields: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Pumpkin Gorge and The Pumpkin King: Youtube Polsy
The Sleeping Village: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion Read the books I skipped here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15058
The Asylum Grounds: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Inside the Asylum: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Enchanted Earth: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Pools of the Ancient Dead: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
The Lake: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Crystal Caves: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Gallows Gauntlet: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
The Haunted Ruins: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
The Ghost Ship: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Entrance Hall & The Time Device: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion
Zarok's Lair: Youtube Polsy Dailymotion

Characters

Sir Daniel Fortesque

Click here for the full 1600x1163 image

In life, Sir Dan was the King's champion, a position he earned due to tales of his heroism. The tales were just that, and when Zarok invaded Dan was the army's very first casualty. The King's forces won, but rather than admit he had been duped, the King told everyone that Dan had single-handedly killed Zarok, and so Dan is remembered as a hero in Gallowmere.

The Hall of Heroes, Gallowmere's afterlife, knew the truth, and Dan spent a hundred years of the afterlife in...
it's not clear what happens to people that don't get into the Hall of Heroes, but we can assume Dan didn't like it; when Zarok unwittingly resurrects him, Dan immediately sets about becoming the hero everyone thinks he is.

Despite not having a tongue, or a jaw, Dan is not a silent protagonist. He's just an unintelligible one.

It's pronounced 'Fort-eh-skew'

Zarok

The villain. Zarok is an evil sorceror. He hates everyone in Gallowmere because they're kind and happy. Deep and complex he is not.

Heroes
Part way through the game you find a library with books on everyone Dan can meet in The Hall of Heroes. You can read them here:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15058

Weapons

Melee

Arm

Dan's left arm. He pulls it out of its socket and hits enemies with it. It's the weakest weapon in the game, and you can't use a shield at the same time. On the other hand, you can kill enemies with your own detached arm.

Main attack: Dan swings it in front of him - short range
Second attack: Dan throw's his arm a very short distance, then it returns to him like a boomerang

Buy back price - It's the only weapon that can't be stolen. Yay...?

Small Sword

Dan's first real melee weapon. It works well enough on early enemies, but you don't want to be stuck with just this at the end of the game.

Main attack: Dan swings it in front of him - medium range.
Second attack: Dan spins in a circle, doing less damage than a normal attack, but hitting multiple enemies. Can be charged up to do more damage than the normal attack.

Buy back price - 600 Gold

Club

Use it to bash things. It eventually breaks, but is easy enough to replace. You can also set it on fire with torches, to bash and burn at the same time. Multitasking!

Main attack: Dan swings it overhead, smashing anything directly in front of him. Has a slight area of effect, but direct hits do more damage.
Second attack: Dan holds the club out. This is how you set the club, and enemies, on fire.

Buy back price - Can be stolen, but replacements are free

Hammer

The hammer is an unbreakable club. It also can't be set on fire, but that's a good thing, since the club's flammability is traded for a very useful secondary attack.

Main attack: Dan swings it overhead, smashing anything directly in front of him. Has a slight area of effect, but direct hits do more damage.
Second attack: After charging up, Dan slams the ground so hard he creates a small explosion that can hit and push back multiple enemies. Really useful against melee attackers.

Buy back price - 1600 Gold

Broad Sword

The Broad Sword is an upgraded small sword. It does more damage and has more range. The interesting part is that merchant gargoyles can enchant it for 100G. The enchanted Broad Sword does significantly more damage, but only lasts for 100 seconds. Since the enchantment only wears down while it's equipped, doing anything useful with it takes some inventory juggling.

Main attack: Dan swings it in front of him.
Second attack: Dan spins in a circle, doing less damage than a normal attack, but hitting multiple enemies. Can be charged up to do more damage than the normal attack.

Buy back price - 1200 Gold

Axe

The Axe is like Dan's arm, only good. He can still wear a shield while wearing it, it hits harder than the normal Broadsword, and he can throw it like a boomerang, saving his ranged ammo for the really dangerous enemies. The enchanted Broadsword still hits harder, though.

Main attack: Overhead swing. Doesn't have the hammer's area of effect, but does more damage.
Second attack: Dan throws it at enemies, then it returns to him. Still makes more sense than a boomerang arm.

Magic Sword

The Magic Sword is the strongest melee weapon in the game. It's stronger than the enchanted Broad Sword, and doesn't lose power every 100 seconds.
It is also the most glamorous sword this side of Majora's Mask.

Main attack: Dan swings it in front of him.

Buy back price - 4000 Gold

Projectiles

Throwing Daggers

Dan's first ranged weapon. They're slow, weak, and they're made redundant after the very first level, but they are free.

Main attack: Dan throws a dagger at whichever enemy he is targeting. Medium attack speed
Second attack: Dan charges up, then throws 3 daggers at once. You can throw 3 daggers in the time it takes to charge, so I can't see a use for this

Max Ammo - 250
Ammo price - 50 for 40G

Crossbow

The first weapon earned by collecting a chalice. It's better than the throwing daggers in every single way. The bolts ricochet, so even if you miss your target, you'll probably hit something.

Main attack: Rapid - fire bolts (no, I don't know how that's supposed to work)
Second attack: Doesn't have one, doesn't need one

Max Ammo - 200
Ammo price - 50 for 80G
Buy back price - 1400G

Chicken Drumsticks

Chicken Drumsticks are the hand grenades of MediEvil; Dan throws them in an arc, they stay on the ground for a second or two, and then any enemies nearby are turned into roast chicken. Dan can eat these magic dinners to restore 20 health. How does it restore his health? Magic! How does he eat chicken in the first place? Uhh... magic?

The drumsticks are one of the best weapons in the game; though they have no effect on bosses, they are a one hit kill on the majority of standard enemies, barring a few that have to be killed in a specific way. The only (legitimate) way to get more is to redo the Ant Caves, so it's tempting to save them for the next level, and then the next...

Main attack: Dan throws the chicken drumstick a short distance, in an arc
Second attack: None, so I won't be able to club anything with a chicken leg

Max Ammo - 30
Buy back price - 200 Gold

Longbow

The Longbow is a cross between the Throwing Knives and the Crossbow. It fires in an arc, and at a similar rate to the Knives, but it fires further than the Knives and does more damage than the Crossbow. The Longbow's arrows don't ricochet like the Crossbow, so accuracy is more important.

Main attack: Fires arrows in an arc, at a reasonable fire rate.
Second attack: None

Max Ammo - 200
Ammo price - 50 for 60G
Buy back price - 2000 Gold

Spears

The Spears are the most powerful projectile weapon Dan will have for a while. He can only carry 30 of them at a time, and they're expensive to replace, but they fire as fast as the Longbow and do far more damage. Best used when you need to do a lot of damage to an enemy in a limited time e.g. a boss that can only be hurt during certain attacks.

The projectile is also faster than any of the arrows, making it easier to hit things.

Main attack: Dan throws a Spear. Hold down for auto-fire
Second attack: None, surprisingly

Max Ammo - 30
Ammo price - 10 for 100G
Buy back price - You can't buy back the Spears if they're stolen. I assume this was an oversight, because it means they can be lost forever!

Flaming Longbow

A straight upgrade to the Longbow. The initial hit does more damage, and also sets enemies on fire. This does damage over time, and will lock down all but the strongest enemies; every 'tick' of fire damage makes them flinch, interrupting their attacks.

Main Attack: Fires arrows in an arc, at a reasonable fire rate. Sets enemies on fire
Second Attack: None

Max Ammo - 100
Ammo price - 25 for 80G
Buy back price - 2400G

Magic Longbow

More damage than the Spear or Flaming Longbow, even when you account for the damage over time from setting things on fire. The only trouble is it's not that much more damage, yet ammo for it costs much more! Nowhere near as big an upgrade as the Magic Sword.

Apart from the fact that the secondary fire makes the arrows explode! I did not know this until DukeofCA pointed it out.

Main Attack: Fires arrows in an arc, at a reasonable fire rate
Second Attack: Fires an arrow that releases a shockwave on impact.

Max Ammo - 50
Ammo price - 10 for 100G
Buy back price - 3000G

Lightning

Lightning is the final weapon in the game, and the most powerful. It's an area of effect instant kill, similar to the Chicken drumsticks, except it covers a wider area and there is no delay before it hits.

You can't buy ammo for the Lightning. If you need to restore it, there is a glitch. Let an imp steal it. When you buy it back it will be at 100%. This is expensive, though!

Main attack - Constant damage to a single enemy, locking them in place. Effective, but redundant due to the second attack
Second attack - Charge up the lightning, then hit everything in range for huge damage. Very few enemies can survive this.

Buy back price - 3000G

Shields

Essentially extra health, except they only come into effect if you're blocking when an attack hits. Replacements are reasonably easy to find, so don't risk a game over trying to save your shield for something worse. All shields will take the same damage from attacks, so the only differences are their health and their appearance.

Copper

150 health

Silver

250 health

Gold

400 health, can be repaired by merchants for 120G per 100 health.

Concept Art (provided by Combat Lobster) -
Early designs - Dan, the Camera view, and the Graveyard
Cemetery Hill and Zarok
Jason Wilson on MediEvil's visual style
Dan's Crypt and Zombies
Aliens and Ant Caves
'The Making of MediEvil' interview with Chris Sorrell and Jason Wilson
Pumpkin Gorge and the unused Swamp King concept art
Miscellaneous concept art
Zarok's Lair

Lost Generation fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2014 around 13:17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I learned the word "chalice" from this game when I was a kid. Or I guess from the demo of this game since I played it a pretty ridiculous number of times at a friend's house but never played the actual game.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

I learned that in in order to toot loud roll troll to door. This was one of my first PSX games alongside MGS1, so thanks for the memories!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

COPS is filmed on location in Dizzy Vision.

I loved this game as a kid, and it holds up rather nicely now. Good to see someone doing a run of this. Any plans for posting any concept art?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

Both this game and its sequel are two of the most underrated games on the PSX. And they're loving fantastic, too.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

I haven't played this game, but Sir Dan is the best character in PS All-Stars.

Well realistically he's pretty much the worst character in the game, but he has the best animations.

I am interested in seeing more.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"

I remember playing this when I was younger, but I don't remember much about it. I know I liked it, and I know that I thought it was pretty hard (but I suspect that I was just terrible at it). It'll be fun to experience it again through this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eat it, Nature!

I remember this game freaking me out as a kid what with being a one-eyed undead protagonist with all the 90's commercials playing up the creepy qualities of every game.

Of course, it could be that I was just kind of a wussy kid.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

I never got past the first level in this game, but I remember watching my big brother 100% this and its sequel. For some reason I remember this game as utterly heartwarming, presumably because of the concept alone because everything else is massively dark.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I remember reading about this game back when it came out, but never got a chance to play it. Glad someone is showing it off! I do think the distinctive character design and aesthetics are a big point in the game's favor, because otherwise it seems like it does suffer from a lot of the PS1 platformer issues. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the LP Lost Generation! It would be neat to hear more about how the weapons compare to each other as your inventory expands, though I imagine at some point you'll get one that just makes all the others obsolete.

And since you mentioned only bringing the arm out again if people asked, obviously now we have to request you use it against Zarok. How many games let you bludgeon the final boss to death with your own severed arm?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

I actually just started replaying both games over the past week or so. They're just as fun as I remembered.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

King Graham:
The Faces of Evil

About a year ago I bought this game on PSN on a whim.
Best decision. I should play it again along with the LP.

For some reason one thing that sticks out in my memory about this game was getting stuck for an hour on one level. Running around with no clue what to do to progress.

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012

This was easily my favorite Playstation game from when I was a kid, even though I was awful at it and never really got very far. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the game, also seeing it played by someone who doesn't try and brute force the whole thing with the hammer and the starting sword.

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

I loved this game as a kid, and it holds up rather nicely now. Good to see someone doing a run of this. Any plans for posting any concept art?

I had been hoping you'd show up, since I don't have PMs! I saw in the Sandcastle that you had a folder full of concept art and interviews. If you want to post them yourself, go ahead, though obviously only post stuff that's been shown so far. Otherwise, you can email me at LostGenerationSA@gmail.com

CatsPajamas posted:

And since you mentioned only bringing the arm out again if people asked, obviously now we have to request you use it against Zarok. How many games let you bludgeon the final boss to death with your own severed arm?

Unfortunately the arm has one more downside that I didn't even remember during the first video. Since Dan is detaching his left arm, he can't keep a shield on it. And the shield is much more important than this first level makes it look. When we finally get there I'll see how feasible it is though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

If dreams are like movies
then memories are films about ghosts.

Defeat Zorak, you say?

Better hurry up before he bans you!

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Defeat Zorak, you say?

Better hurry up before he bans you!

I know you're probably joking, but now I'm rewatching the video to see if I did say that; it sounds like the kind of mistake I'd make, and threatening to club a mod to death with your own severed arm doesn't make a good first impression.

Lost Generation fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2013 around 09:59

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lost Generation posted:

I know you're probably joking, but now I'm rewatching the video to see if I did say that;

Haha no, it's just that the name of the villain is so similar to our dear moderator's I felt like making that joke.

Please don't ban me Zorak.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Both this game and its sequel are two of the most underrated games on the PSX. And they're loving fantastic, too.

I'm so sad Sony is ignoring this great franchise (and Ape Escape as well, gently caress).

Where is the Sony of my youth?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I'm so sad Sony is ignoring this great franchise (and Ape Escape as well, gently caress).

Where is the Sony of my youth?

There was a remake/sequel of sorts (in the same way The Evil Dead is a remake of Evil Dead) for the PSP a while ago called Medievil: Resurrection. It sold pretty well for a PSP game (about 800,000 copies, I think) but unfortunately Sony never did anything to follow it up.

Sir Daniel looked so cool in Playstation Battle-Royale too, why don't they just use that model for a new game?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

Oh, hey! The MediEvil games were two of those often-mentioned PS1 titles that I never had a chance to really try, so this should be fun.

The talk of Battle-Royale also led me to its wiki, which claims "[Sir Daniel's] voice in the original MediEvil and MediEvil: Resurrection was provided by the original MediEvil Art Director Jason Wilson, who wrote a script for what Dan would say and then read the lines through gritted teeth with a bucket over his head."

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

I am soooo nostalgic for this game (does it count as nostalgia if I replay it once every two years or so, though?) Sir Dan and Jack Skellington were easily the best skeletons of the 90s.

Also I wanted to gush about how fantastic the music is in this game, what a great score.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lost Generation posted:

I had been hoping you'd show up, since I don't have PMs! I saw in the Sandcastle that you had a folder full of concept art and interviews. If you want to post them yourself, go ahead, though obviously only post stuff that's been shown so far. Otherwise, you can email me at LostGenerationSA@gmail.com

Cool, I'll make sure to keep it spoiler-free. I'll also shoot you an email with the folder as well.

These are taken from Lead Designer Jason Wilson's Portfolio:

Early Designs of Dan

"My first quick doodles of Dan Fortesque from my note book. I tried out lots of combinations before settling on the one and only."

Early Camera Idea

"An early drawing of what the game camera might look like. At this stage the game was going to move along a linear path."

Graveyard Design Drawings

"I did hundreds of these little level design drawings, they formed the flow and shape of the level designs. They are rather basic drawings as did not have a lot of geometry to throw about and had to be rather inventive with our use of space."

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2013 around 03:09

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

New episode!

Cemetery Hill
Youtube Polsy Dailymotion

I've also spruced up the OP. There is now a section on the different weapons that I'll update as we find them, and the video link has been made easier on the eyes now that I've got the hang of the url tags.

Club

Use it to bash things. It eventually breaks, but is easy enough to replace. You can also set it on fire with torches, to bash and burn at the same time. Multitasking!

Second attack: Dan holds the club out. This is how you set the club, and enemies, on fire.

Lost Generation fucked around with this message at Dec 22, 2013 around 17:52

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

The Mausoleum is just about the only thing I remember about this game, besides the final level. I'm curious to see how well my memory matches up with how it actually plays out. I don't remember this level at all, although you'd think boulder-spewing gargoyles would stand out.

SarutosZero
Jun 2, 2006

Ding! Ding!

This game is the reason I still can't spell the word "medieval" correctly without looking it up.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Lost Generation posted:

New episode!

Cemetery Hill
Youtube Dailymotion

I've also spruced up the OP. There is now a section on the different weapons that I'll update as we find them, and the video link has been made easier on the eyes now that I've got the hang of the url tags.

Edit - Listening to the uploaded version I've realised the commentary in the early part of the video is weirdly muffled. I had hoped it was due to me making a mistake in Audacity, but it's there in the original recording too. The sound gets clearer halfway through, and I did a test recording just now that sounds fine, so whatever caused it seems to have fixed itself. Would people like me to re-record that part of the commentary, or get on with the next video?

I don't know about it sounding muffled, but the game audio is barely audible in this video compared to the previous one (the commentary volume is the same). I had to turn the volume up to hear the game dialogue then got my ears blasted with your voice.

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

whitehelm posted:

I don't know about it sounding muffled, but the game audio is barely audible in this video compared to the previous one (the commentary volume is the same). I had to turn the volume up to hear the game dialogue then got my ears blasted with your voice.

Sorry about that. I used all the same settings as the previous video, and it sounded ok on my computer, so I'm not sure how that's happened. I'll re-upload it as soon as I can.

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

I've uploaded a fixed version of the video to Youtube:

02 - Cemetery Hill

Fixed version

Please don't hesitate to say if there's a new problem with this 'fixed' version, or an old problem everyone's been too polite to mention. If I can fix it I will, and if I can't I'll know to try and avoid it in the future, or even redo the video if it's really bad.

Lost Generation fucked around with this message at Jul 8, 2013 around 00:01

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I listened to a couple minutes of it and it definitely sounds better. Both you and the game are still just a little quiet to my ears, but my hearing isn't great so it could just be me - I didn't have to crank the volume up to max to hear, at any rate.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I had no idea you could smash the rocks on the hill for life vials. I mostly brute-force my way to the top.

Some more concept art:

Cemetery Hill Design Drawing

You might notice that the secret steps (Point #3) is located exactly where the player spawns. Not sure what the developers intended to do with that secret area, but it's not there in the final product. Though there is a tutorial book there that talks about smashing stuff with other weapons which I assume is a remnant of this drawing.

Zarok

"Zarok the Wizard. I imagined as an evil puppet. In the game he was voiced by Paul Darrow of Blakes 7 fame and he loved the chance to really camp it up as a villain."

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2013 around 00:52

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

New episode!

The first boss fight, a new weapon, and a terrible, terrible pun.

Hilltop Mausoleum
Youtube Polsy Dailymotion

New weapon: Hammer

The hammer is an unbreakable club. It also can't be set on fire, but that's a good thing, since the club's flammability is traded for a very useful secondary attack.

Second attack: After charging up, Dan slams the ground so hard he creates a small explosion that can hit and push back multiple enemies. Really useful against melee attackers.

Lost Generation fucked around with this message at Dec 22, 2013 around 17:50

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Still as cool as when I was 7.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

When I started following this LP, one of my first thoughts was how much uglier this game was than I remember. Then we got to this boss, and all of the sudden I remember how good this game can look when it tries. Not to mention it's a fun battle and a neat concept. I definitely like this part of the game.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

I'm really enjoying this LP and it's a shame i never owned the game as a kid sadly i had to make do with the demo disk i got out of Playstation Magazine back in the day.

DukeofCA
Aug 17, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Oh gently caress yes I love this game. One of the first games i ever 100% completed. The music and the atmosphere are fantastic from start to finish. I make it a point to play through this game and its sequel every year around Halloween time, it just fits so well.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

A real man wears a kilt ya wee bastards!

I'm kind of surprised that this title had disappearing UI elements for when they're not pertinent to the action. Kind of sophisticated for it's time, isn't it?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

I hope you feel bad for that pun. Very bad <>

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

I'm kind of surprised that this title had disappearing UI elements for when they're not pertinent to the action. Kind of sophisticated for it's time, isn't it?

I've gotten so used to it in modern games that I didn't even think of that. It will also appear if you stand still for a while not doing anything, or pause the game to check settings or your inventory.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Lost Generation posted:

The first boss fight, a new weapon, and a terrible, terrible pun.

And I laughed at it. I'm so ashamed.

It was a great boss fight though. I really like the character designs in this game so far. I'm glad they created something unique instead of relying on the standard fantasy/action bosses. It's always neat to see a game like this with genuinely good ideas, and it's always a shame they never seem be as successful as more generic fare.

Having an unavoidable attack seems like a dick move at first, but if they always make sure you have a shield then it just establishes how important the shield's going to be. I can understand now why Dan's arm making you lose the shield could be a problem. Are there more bosses or enemies with the same kind of "unavoidable but can be blocked" attacks?

Combat Lobster posted:

*Awesome Concept Art*

Thanks for posting this stuff, Combat Lobster! It's neat to see how stages went from design to game. Surprised that Zarok's design was apparently influenced by trees though - that's an interesting place to find inspiration for a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Generation
Feb 21, 2013

CatsPajamas posted:

And I laughed at it. I'm so ashamed.

Don't encourage me.

CatsPajamas posted:

Are there more bosses or enemies with the same kind of "unavoidable but can be blocked" attacks?

I'm guessing people will have different opinions on discussing future gameplay, so I'll answer this in a spoiler.

Not as far as I can remember, strangely. There aren't any more infinite shields either though, and there are plenty of situations where blocking with a shield is easier than dodging, which seems a fair trade for their limited use.

«8 »