Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Somewhere in North America.
Sometime in the future.

To: s.valentine@marketing.oneiros.sci
Date: Friday, July X, 20XX at 6:27 PM EDT
Subject: Re: re: RE: re: Subject Selection Mailing Draft (Final)

Steve, attached please find the final draft of the subject selection mailing you requested, with my comments in [square brackets]. We should be good to go as soon as the lottery finishes and the government gives us the names. The boys in construction have given the all green on the facilities, and the geeks are getting impatient—and when the geeks are impatient, the Big Man is definitely impatient. Thank God this phase is over.

-Mark

p.s. you coming to the party tonight? i hear that hot blonde from IT is going to be there…

___

Congratulations, [NAME HERE]

You have been selected by mandatory lottery to participate in a new study by the Oneiros Institute. You will be provided with transportation to our brand new, state of the art facility, and given first class lodgings for the duration of the study.

[Get the graphic design boys to take some photos of the apartments. No need to pretty them up, they’re pretty fantastic already.]

Your participation in this scientific research is not without its rewards. In addition to the generous stipend you will be receiving, your days will be yours to do with as you will within the Institute. We have a fine gymnasium and Olympic-sized swimming pool, as well as a top notch library, and even a theater where you can watch your favorite movies.

[Good call on removing the bit about no outside communications during the study. It’s in the fine print on the waivers and the contracts, but they won’t read that, and we’re supposed to be selling them on this, per the Big Man. Ours is not to reason why…]

The Oneiros Institute, as you may have gathered from the name, is researching dreams and sleep—which is why you’ll be given so much freedom during the day. At night, however, our state of the art instruments will monitor your sleep and your dreams, and you may be asked to take medication as part of the study. Don’t worry, though, it’s completely safe and government approved!

[Not actually a lie.]

All we need you to do to get started is to sign the waivers and the contracts you’ll find included with this letter, and return them in the provided envelope by [Date Here]. Once that’s taken care of, we can get you your travel arrangements and set you up in your new apartment!

[And of course, the cynic in me notes that the duration of the experiment isn’t anywhere in here. But what do I know, I’m just the marketing guy!]

---

Welcome to your dreams.

What is this?

This thread is recruitment for a game about SCIENCE, DREAMS, PARANOIA, and MAGIC. You will be playing as participants in a study in a slightly dystopian future, with technology not too far off from our own. During the course of the game you will find yourselves transported into the world of dreams, and you will need to balance what you find there with your waking lives, and perhaps discover hidden truths in both worlds.

How do I play?

This game uses a custom-made system specifically created for it. The rules can be found in the post below this one, or here in their draft form. Any questions on the rules can be answered in this thread. Your waking selves will be from North America, and the assumed technology level is fairly similar to today’s. Some event has happened to make the government far more controlling and dystopian, though for the most part people’s lives go on in very much the same way they do today.

Just that they can be ordered to participate in indefinite scientific studies and relocated without much say in the matter.

In addition to the mechanical bits and pieces of your character, please answer a few basic questions:

1) Where are you from, originally?
2) How old are you?
3) Do you have any religious beliefs?
4) Do you have any family? Close friends?
5) What did you do before you were selected?
6) How did you (and any loved ones) react to your selection?
7) What do you want most out of life?
8) What do you fear most?
9) What is your innermost secret?
10) What are your hobbies?

The successful applicant:

-Is enthusiastic and interested. This always goes a long way with me.
-Makes a character who is more than a collection of numbers. I look for things like hobbies, flavor skills, and definitely story hooks when I’m selecting players.
-Can commit to posting regularly. I’m not asking for daily or anything, but I definitely don’t want to have to be pestering people to post. I am all too painfully aware that real life happens—all I ask is that if you’re selected, and something comes up, you send me a quick message or make a quick post letting me know.

Recruitment will be open for a few weeks. I will post at least 24 hours before I make selections.

I can generally be found on irc.synirc.net in #scorpionemperor if you have questions, comments, or just want to chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Character Creation

Part 1: Waking Self

You have the following Attributes and Qualities:

Physical
Strength Dexterity Fortitude

Mental
Intellect Wits Conviction

Social
Charisma Manipulation Dignity

Each Attribute (Physical, Mental, Social) begins at a rating of 2d6. You have two additional Pips to add however you wish.

Attributes operate on the following scale:

1d6 = Minimum value
1d6+1
1d6+2
2d6 = Starting value
2d6+1
2d6+2
3d6
3d6+1
etc.

Each die is made of three Pips. When you would increase an Attribute to +3, it instead gains an additional d6.

You have six Pips to spend among the Qualities. The Qualities for each Attribute are divided between force, control, and resistance. No Quality may begin with more than two Pips allocated to it.

You have 20 points to spend among the following Skills:

Academics
Animal Handling
Athletics
Computers
Conversation
Crafts
Defense
Dodge
*Dream Navigation
*Dream Shaping
Drive
Firearms
Hunting
Languages
Law
*Magic
Medicine
Melee
Occult
Science
Stealth
Streetwise
Survival
Tracking
Unarmed
Writing

Starting Skills can be rated no higher than 3, and you may not begin play with more than one point in any skill marked with an asterisk. Those skills only function in the world of dreams.

Part Two: The Dream Self

In the world of dreams you will find that you have a persistent alter ego. This can be anything, from an idealized self image of your waking self, to a strange creature made of shadows and flame, but it will remain the same each time you enter the Dream World. (There’s a difference between the Dream World and normal dreams, where this isn’t the case.)

Your Dream Self has the same basic Attributes and Qualities as your waking self, but you may rearrange your Attributes. You can drop one of your Attributes below 2d6 here if you like, reassigning those Pips to others, with the restrictions that you may not dip below 1d6 or increase above 3d6. You may also, if you wish, reassign your Qualities freely during this stage.

Your Skills persist between your Waking Self and your Dream Self.

You may gain special abilities or learn magic in the world of dreams—these abilities are gained during play, not at character creation. Please note, regardless of the form your dream self takes, you will still be limited initially to the general abilities and limitations of a human.

Part 3: Advantages

You have two Backgrounds. These are similar to Aspects from FATE, in that they are not selected from a list, but rather created to suit your character and help define him or her in ways not covered elsewhere. Be creative and evocative! (These may be subject to veto, please be prepared to rewrite if necessary.)

Part 4: Derived Values

Each character has three tracks for handling “damage”, one for each Attribute. The value of each is equivalent to the number of Pips in that Attribute plus the number of Pips in the relevant resistance Quality:

Health: Physical + Fortitude
Sanity: Mental + Conviction
Grace: Social + Dignity

If any of these pools is exhausted, the character suffers a Setback and operates at a penalty until they have had time to recover. If they continue to act without recovery, they risk permanent consequences, as appropriate to the situation.

Each character also has a pool of Dreamstuff. This begins with zero points, and has no upper limit. Dreamstuff can be spent while in the dream world for a variety of effects, including fueling special abilities, boosting a single roll by 2 per point of Dreamstuff spent, and potentially other uses as well.

How It Works:

When you want to try something with a chance of failure, you will be given a target number to roll above, and told what to roll. You will calculate the number of dice rolled by totaling the Pips in your Attribute and the relevant Quality, and add any points in the relevant Skill to the total of the roll.

Example: Steph is trying to sneak into the office of Doctor Abernathy after hours to rifle through his files in search of some information. She needs to roll Agility + Stealth. Her Physical is 2d6+1, and she has placed two pips into Agility, bringing the total number of Pips up high enough to grant her a total of 3d6. Her Stealth skill is rated at 3, so Steph will roll 3d6 and then add 3 to the result shown on the dice.

Opposed rolls (such as combat) are simple—whoever rolls higher wins, and if any damage is inflicted, it is equivalent to half of the difference between the two rolls, rounding up (minimum 1.) Weapons may modify the damage dealt.

Example: Phil the security guard has caught Steph in the act, but Steph is not going to go quietly. She aims a kick at him, rolling a 15 total. His dodge roll is a mere 11, for a difference of four—Steph’s kick will deal two points of damage.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 6, 2013

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
This looks awesome. I think I'm either gonna roll up a hobo or a sciency nerd fellow.

Pokeylope fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2013

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
The system and whole thread idea reminds me of a strange mix of Unknown Armies and Monster & Other Childish Things. So of course I'm ecstatic about this! I'll have a character up later today, thinking about possibly an inner city Islamic woman.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Baxter Williston

1. I was born in Dayton, Ohio but after I joined the marine core I got moved around for several years, eventually making my way to Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas as an intelligence analyst.

2. Currently, 27 years of age.

3. I don't prescribe to any particular system of belief, but I'm open to new ideas I suppose.

4. Over the years, I sort of grew away from family and I can count the number of people I trust on my hands, most of which are out fighting wars or in nice office jobs like myself now, haha. I do have my older sister Isabelle in Dallas. She got a job at some advertising agency up there about 6 years back and as fate should have it my job is only a couple hours away, but I only see her around holidays.

5. Well, after doing a few tours overseas, I finished up my bachelor's degree online in Geospatial imaging at the behest of my lieutenant(and my sister in dallas), and I submitted my application in at Fort Hood.

6. Well, honestly... I didn't know what to think. I had heard about programs like this, but I never thought I'd be up for anything like it. I told my sister, since she's pretty much the only family I got left in truth, but she seemed more wary than enthused. If the program is anything like the material that's been dispersed, then it looks like I've lucked out. Can't really complain, and I'm still serving my country... just in a new way.

7. Peace of mind I suppose. I spent most of my life just following orders, and it's something I'm good at, but every now and then, you get an order that you don't rightly agree with and well, in the nighttime hours, I have to deal with the weight of my actions and I've done somethings I'm not proud of, but who hasn't?

8. Failing myself. I'm okay with seclusion, I'm o.k. on a team, I'm not afraid of death anymore, but I don't want to let myself down. I want to look back on my life in my final moments when I've reached them and say, "Oh Baxter, you've done alright man. You've done alright," but I worry that it won't be like that. Maybe it's irrational. I don't know.

9. Some nights, when I close my eyes. I see the faces of women and children that I've gunned down indeterminately in the name of Justice. I don't feel "bad" per se, because that's what war is, but at the same time... I can't shake the image of absolute terror in the eyes of those whose lives I personally ended.

10. Well, I like to garden, indoor and out. It's like meditation for me, and it is infinitely interesting to see this new life spring from practically nothing. That and music, I've taken up piano in the last few years and that's been entertaining.

----

pre:
Attributes
Physical 2d6
Mental 2d6 + 2
Social 2d6

Qualities
Physical
Strength: +0
Dexterity:+1
Fortitude: +1

Mental
Intellect:+0
Wits: +2
Conviction: +1

Social
Charisma: +0
Manipulation: +0
Dignity: +1

----

Skills
  • Academics: 0
  • Animal Handling: 0
  • Athletics: 2
  • Computers: 1
  • Conversation: 0
  • Crafts: 1
  • Defense: 2
  • Dodge: 1
  • *Dream Navigation: 1
  • *Dream Shaping: 0
  • Drive: 1
  • Firearms: 1
  • Hunting: 0
  • Languages: 0
  • Law: 0
  • *Magic: 0
  • Medicine: 1
  • Melee: 1
  • Occult: 1
  • Science: 0
  • Stealth: 1
  • Streetwise: 1
  • Survival: 2
  • Tracking: 2
  • Unarmed : 1
  • Writing: 0
---- Dream Self Appearance Baxter's form and overall outline persists, with the exception that his body has a light blue glow to it and is semi-transparent at times. His shadow when present, stretches and contorts with a life of its own when not directly viewed by Baxter. Dream Attributes Strength:1d6 + 1 Mental:3d6 Social:2d6 + 1 Dream Qualities Changes Social Charisma: +0 Manipulation: +1 Dignity: +0 ---- Advantages Cunning: You have a quick mind, able to think on the move and find solutions to problems that baffle others. Sixth-Sense: Ever since Baxter was a child, he has had what can only be described as an "other worldly" connection that was often the root of issues with his family as the stress of his "overactive imagination" had caused problems at school and at home. When he was 9 he burned down their home at the suggestion of his friend, "Donny" who lived in his shadow. "Donny" said there was something bad in the house and Baxter listened, much to his parents dismay. When Baxter turned 12, "Donny" disappeared, and Baxter can't recall a "Donny" if you asked him about it, but he occasionally has the ability to the see the outcome of an event before it happens, or recognize danger in a seemingly normal situation. ---- Derived Values Health: 7 Sanity: 9 Grace: 7

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 6, 2013

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side
Seems like there's plenty of opportunity for craziness here! Might put up something tomorrow :3:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Pokeylope: Sorry, unclear; the dice rating IS the attribute. You don't roll for them, you use them for the roll. So, Physical 2d6+2, Social 2d6, Mental 2d6.

The skills I'll clean up a bit when I have a chance later, yeah. They don't ALWAYS have to be used with a particular governing stat, but they'll be paired off commonly enough that I can do that.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Maureen Krukowski

1) Where are you from, originally? A small Chicago suburb called Bridgeport, but when I married my husband we moved to his hometown of Lapeer, Michigan.

2) How old are you? 24.

3) Do you have any religious beliefs? I try to be a good Catholic but recently I haven't. My husband and I used to attend mass every Sunday but I've only gone a few times since he passed. I wear my mother's rosary which I guess you aren't really supposed to do.

4) Do you have any family? Close friends? My father, four older brothers, one older sister. All of them live near Chicago except Tom, who lives in Arizona. We used to be closer but our mother was sort of the family's glue, keeping us all together. With her gone we've drifted apart in the last four years. I think my dad wanted me to move back home once there was nothing keeping me in Michigan, but I suppose its too late for that now. In high school I was friends with a strange group of people, we had a falling out and I don't think any of them would want to see me again.

5) What did you do before you were selected? I worked part-time at a Target while Stan tried to get a tool repair business off the ground. We were planning on starting a family but I miscarried. My mom had a stillborn child but was still able to have me and my brothers and sisters so I thought it was just chance. Maybe it was the miscarriage or business problems but Stan became distant. A few months later he hung himself in the garage. I've been living off our savings since then.

6) How did you (and any loved ones) react to your selection? I think my father's scared for me. He's tried to make the best of it by saying that at least I'll be taken care of, but I can tell. I'm just confused. There's no reason for someone like me to be selected, I'm nothing special.

7) What do you want most out of life? I want a big family, the way mine was when I was younger. Every holiday had dozens of people in our tiny house - cousins and uncles and aunts and grandparents. I want to be surrounded by love like that again.

8) What do you fear most? That the bad things that have happened to me - my mom's death, my miscarriage, my husband's suicide - are punishment for being rebellious when I was a teenager. I don't even know what I was rebelling against, my childhood was fine and I had nothing to cry or complain about. I did everything a bad teenager could do - drugs, drinking, sex. My friends were all punks and wiccans, we even had seances and stuff. I can't blame that behavior on anything.

9) What is your innermost secret? My friend Becca and I killed her sister's pet cat in a ceremony when we were sixteen. Nothing happened of course, so we threw it into a ditch at the park. Becca left but I was too afraid, I stayed and watched a bunch of crows pick at it until it got dark. Her parents thought the cat had run away - I think they still do.

10) What are your hobbies? Stan and I were really into self-reliance. We gardened, canned our own food, even had a few chickens. I like to go bicycling as well, and I do a little bird-watching every now and then. I've always found peace in the natural world.

pre:
Attributes
Physical 2d6
Mental 2d6 + 1
Social 2d6 + 1

Qualities
Physical
Dexterity: +0

Mental
Wits: +1
Conviction: +2

Social
Charisma: +1

Skills
  • Animal Handling: 3
  • Athletics: 1
  • Computers: 0
  • Conversation: 1
  • Crafts: 2
  • Defense: 0
  • Dodge: 2
  • *Dream Navigation: 0
  • *Dream Shaping: 1
  • Drive: 1
  • Hunting: 1
  • *Magic: 1
  • Melee: 0
  • Occult: 2
  • Stealth: 0
  • Streetwise: 0
  • Survival: 1
  • Tracking: 1
  • Unarmed : 0
  • Writing: 1
Part Two: The Dream Self

Appearance: Maureen in the dream world is a twisted version of herself. Pale and with hair so dark as to almost be black, she is covered by a cowl of crow feathers. Her voice is icy and alien, and her feet hover a few inches above the ground. Her eyes are obscured by shadow unless put under direct light, when two yellow avian orbs can be seen.

pre:
Attributes
Physical 2d6 + 2
Mental 2d6 + 2
Social 1d6 + 1

Qualities
Physical
Strength: +1

Mental
Intellect: +1

Social
Dignity: +0
Part Three: Advantages

Articles of Faith: Maureen carries or wears a number of religious artifacts on her person. These include her mother's rosary, a Celtic cross bracelet, and a St. Michael pendant necklace. She also has a triquetra tattoo from her younger days on her back left shoulder which she keeps covered as much as possible. In trying times Maureen takes comfort and solace in these symbols, lending her bravery, courage, and strength.

A Murder of Crows: Unfortunate things happen around and to Maureen. People tend to get hurt a little more than chance would dictate. She is Murphy's Law in action, a perpetual jinx. Otherwise friendly negotiations might break down, an unforeseen problem might arise, and in general chaos will ensue. This is often a curse to Maureen, but can prove helpful when strife is necessary for a quick getaway or when actively trying to inflict harm.

Are these okay? Too paranormal? I envision them being quite weak in the real world and stronger in the dream world, if that distinction will make sense.

Part Four: Derived Values

Waking Self:
Health: 7
Sanity: 9
Grace: 8

Dream Self:
Health: 9
Grace: 4
Dreamstuff: 0

RE-Recalculated DVs, not sure how I was doing it before but it should be right now

rakovsky maybe fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 11, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yes please. Those look fine in terms of backgrounds.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This sounds very cool, and I will be thinking of something in the next couple days.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
@Zero Suit Ridley: Just let me know if anything is out of place on my submission. I think I got it for the most part, but I could have botched it somewhere along the way.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Everything looks to be in the right spots so far.

Edit: A thing that may not be entirely clear from the OP: if your character does have dependants or a spouse, they are allowed to come, with the condition that nocturnal conjugal relations are a nono due to study purposes and due to the isolation from the outside world on the facility, if they want to have a job they'd have to do something on-site (there are a reasonable number of positions for low-level, low-training type jobs). So, you don't HAVE to be estranged/single, but it's certainly not going to work for EVERY family.

Just throwing that out there.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 7, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Making an insane cultist.

I will be so good at Occult. :toot:

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Ishikawa Fatimah

1) Well, I was attending UCLA until I received this "opportunity". Otherwise, I'm from Toda, Saitama Prefecture, Japan. It's a rarely exciting suburb of Tokyo, but it happens to have a high Muslim population and it was close to Dad's job. Beats Afghanistan by a mile, at least.

2) Twenty one on the dot, chief. They serve tequila here?

3) You may have guessed from the hijab that I'm Muslim, and you may have guessed from the last comment that I'm not particularly a good one. I feel guilty about it sometimes, but my father never set the warmest example for the faith when I was young. I still respect Islam because of my grandfather, though, and try to pray at least once a week to make up for it in a small way.

4) My father is Japanese, but converted to Islam back in college. He lived in Afghanistan for a few years before he met my mom, and then the war broke out and they fled back to Japan together. He likes to boast about being a hero, but I know he was scared shitless the whole time.

Mom's a pretty quiet person, but loving, and really got along well with being a Japanese housewife. Sometimes I feel like she's keeping the faith up just to appease Dad, though.

And then there's my Grandpa. A wrinkly old Afghan coot with a huge grey beard and a stick always at the ready to crack you on the feet for being disrespectful. Despite that, the man's my role model. He taught me all I know about life, belief, people, and how to prepare goat a million and one ways, each of them drat good. Despite living in the mountains, he gets internet service, so we talk through email. I haven't seen my grandparents on my Dad's side since the incident at dinner a few years back.

As for close friends, I only just got to UCLA, so none in America. Though I still talk to my friends back home; my best friend Kimiko is studying fashion design in Tokyo. My childhood friend Tadakuni was running the family convenience store when I left. I miss them.

5) I was attending UCLA for a degree in Photojournalism. I'd only been there for just over a week when I got Oneiros' message.

6) I didn't tell my parents. My father's constant lording over me growing up doesn't exactly make me jump at the chance for him to know every iota of my life. Grandpa seemed suspicious, however. He didn't like the sound of people crawling into my head like that, said it was too personal. I'm inclined to agree with him, but at the same time I'm quietly excited to see if Oneiros can really do what they say.

7) To find my own identity. I've been living under labels my whole life, and I want to learn who I really am inside.

8) Helplessness. When I was sixteen I traveled to Afghanistan to see the family, and when I broke away from my parents on a crowded city street, a man grabbed me by the waist and attempted to pull me into the back of a car sitting in an adjacent alley. I managed to elbow him int the face and run away, but I still wake up in a cold sweat from nightmares where I wasn't quick enough.

9) My cocksure, rebellious attitude is all an act. If I were to let someone get too close and something happened to them/they did something to me, it would trigger my fear of helplessness to a degree I'm not sure I could handle.

10) Photography's always been a big thing for me, of course. So far I've really only snapped some pictures of life in and around Tokyo, but who's to say I won't be the next Steve McCurry? I'm also huge on swimming— I love the rush of my skin prickling as it hits the cool water. My mother taught me how to play the Rubab, and I'd say I'm pretty great at it. I'm really into hiking as another outdoor activity.

Waking Self

pre:
Attributes
Physical 2d6
Mental 2d6 + 1
Social 2d6 + 1

Qualities
Physical
Dexterity: +1
Fortitude: +0

Mental
Intellect:+1
Conviction: +0

Social
Manipulation: +1

Skills
  • Academics: 1
  • Conversation: 2
  • Crafts: 2
  • Defense: 0
  • Drive: 0
  • Languages: 2
  • Law: 1
  • Occult: 1
  • Survival: 2
  • Tracking: 1
  • Unarmed : 0
Dream Self

Fatimah imagines herself in dream form as a great Muslim warrior, clad in gilded steel armor and wielding a mighty blade. Upon her head is a hijab of brilliant white and gold silk, and an ethereal green radiance shines from both eyes.

pre:
Attributes
Physical 2d6 + 1
Mental 2d6 + 1
Social 2d6 + 0

Qualities
Physical
Fortitude: +2

Mental
Intellect: +0

Social
Advantages
The Roots Beneath
Though she doesn't know it, Fatimah is, on both sides of the family, descended from legendary warriors and strategists of the ancient world. While this has only ever manifested in the real world as an occasional gut feeling steering her along, in the dream world these spirits might manifest as much more.

Trust Me, I've Been There
Fatimah has struggled with stress her entire life, whether it be from change, self-image, the opinions of others, or the constant lording of her father. Because of this, people find a strange comfort in Fatimah when they're in an emotional situation. Trust her— She's been there.

Waking Self Derived Values
Health: 6
Sanity: 7
Grace: 7

Dream Self Derived Values
Sanity: 8
Dreamstuff: 0

If I've got anything wrong, please point it out.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 9, 2013

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST
Never mind.

Chaos Triangle fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 10, 2013

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy Vann

Wyoming, Michigan.

2) How old are you?
Twenty-two a few months ago.

No. Can't stand them. JWs love to leave their pamphlets all over the place, so I do the honor of putting them back in the trash.

My parents both work with the public. Dad teaches in a middle school and Mom works at an Inn. Sometimes she goes pushing Avon at community events on the side. They don't mind me too much, but sometimes I gotta comb the 'hawk down into a proper Dutch Boy cut when family's over. We all love each other and all that. It's not like I'm a criminal.

Ty, Cal and Keith are my bros. We've known each other since second grade, but we really started hanging in high school. We used to do stupid poo poo all the time during school. It's a miracle we graduated. My bros and I still meet up at our local dive once in a while.

My extended family are a little more devout than me and my parents are. I mean, we're still family, but we don't get together as much as we used to.

I was headed for a BS in Architecture. I was taking classes at WMU.

My parents didn't react too much. I guess they figured it was just a short-term thing even though I told them you were giving me lodging and stuff. My bros said they're gonna watch the news and take a shot when they see my picture, so they're cool with it. I got a few likes on Facebook from my aunts and cousins. One of my aunts even commented.

I'm pretty taken aback by architecture. It would be cool to leave a bigass mark on the world like the Arc de Triumph or the Pyramids. Otherwise I just don't want people hassling me about my choices.

I'm kinda hydrophobic. I feel like I don't have as much control over my body in water as I do on land, and when it floods around here I'm afraid I'll slip up and get carried away or something. I might be tough, but nature's a nasty mess.

I was a geek in school for the longest time. I got to seventh grade before I finally started acting tough. Cal, Ty, Keith, they all used to call me names and poo poo. It wasn't until me and Ty got in a fist-fight that I got respect from them. I guess they kinda molded me into who I am. It makes me think of what would happen if they never lightened up on me, if I stuck to my guns instead of lashing out like that.

When I'm not keeping my Cod KD up or chilling with my bros, I draft buildings or landmarks. It makes me think about what makes materials tick and what it takes to make my dreams come to life. Oh yeah, you don't mind if I keep a pad and pencil with me, right? I like making sketches of the rooms I see at night.

pre:
Real Attributes
Physical: 2d6 +1
Mental: 2d6 +1
Social: 2d6

Real Qualities
Physical

Mental
Intellect: +2
Wits: +0

Social

Derived Values: Real
Sanity: 7
Grace: 6

Skills
  • Academics: 1
  • Animal Handling: 1
  • Conversation: 0
  • Crafts: 0
  • Dodge: 0
  • Drive: 2
  • Hunting: 1
  • Medicine: 0
  • Melee: 2
  • Occult: 0
  • Science: 1
  • Streetwise: 3
  • Survival: 0
  • Tracking: 0
  • Unarmed : 1
  • Writing: 2
Dream Self

A mass of arms sprouting from every which direction has the potential for Guy to multitask and move with more swiftness. Though he seems grotesque in this form, he still has the comprehensive abilities necessary to cooperate with comrades. He can sense the world in a generous perimeter around him but he has no eyes. Even in this state he can draw what ideas come to him. They just might be bigger or more concrete than usual.

pre:
Dream Attributes
Physical:2d6 +2
Mental:2d6 +2
Social:1d6+1

Dream Qualities
Physical
Strength: +2

Mental
Intellect: +1

Social

Derived Values: Dream
Health: 10
Sanity: 8
Grace: 4
Advantages

This poo poo Ain't Stable
Guy has much better knowledge of architecture than the usual delinquent, having taken classes on the history and mechanics of construction. He can tell when things are about to collapse, the spacial qualities of a room or the cultural make of a building with very little examination. This is, of course, hindered by his dream self's lack of vision, but in turn he can feel a more-specific presence around him.

Would This Face Lie?
Despite being aesthetically obscene from a social standpoint, Guy still retains an intellectual core. If he needs to get on someone's good side he knows the right etiquette routine to keep them around, and he knows the right way to schmooze authority figures. Sure it may sound rehearsed, but when he's had to explain his style choices for upwards of four years he gets it down pat.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 10, 2013

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Ridley asked me to post the following from IRC:

<Shardix> Kicking around some character ideas for Oneiros, and I was wondering: would a prisoner being "volunteered" for these tests work as an idea?
<RidleyPhone> Yes
<RidleyPhone> What crime?
<Shardix> I was thinking anti-government actions/affiliations, given the mention of dystopian aspects
<RidleyPhone> I'm chucking around some planning for oneiros today
<RidleyPhone> Oh good
<RidleyPhone> I can fill you in on that
<Shardix> And you know, they might need a test subject for more controversial stuff, since the civilian volunteers might have people asking after them if something really awful happens to their brain
<RidleyPhone> Be a Canadian Resistance member
<RidleyPhone> That is only half a joke
<Shardix> What offenses against civil liberty would I be fighting?
<RidleyPhone> Basically some terrorist org unleashed a big biological weapon successfully some years before
<RidleyPhone> In the aftermath a lot of people died
<RidleyPhone> The official story is, canadas government requested aid from the us
<RidleyPhone> But the truth is they were annexed for their medical supplies
<RidleyPhone> And north america is under a single government
<Shardix> hmm
<RidleyPhone> Wartime president namehere used the terrorist threat as an excuse to stay in power past his second term, 'to provide strong, consistent leadership'
<RidleyPhone> And he had martial law already in place
<RidleyPhone> Its a bit of a police state and democracy is kind of illusory now
<RidleyPhone> They still hold elections but he always wins
<RidleyPhone> Its not going to be a huge thing for like
<RidleyPhone> Affecting day to day
<RidleyPhone> Its just the backdrop
<RidleyPhone> Ostensibly a lot of research like oneiros happens to help prevent further acts of terrorism
<RidleyPhone> Which is how the government can volunteer people.
<Shardix> freedom isn't free and all that rhetoric
<RidleyPhone> Indeed
<RidleyPhone> You're serving your country
<RidleyPhone> And they do pay you
<RidleyPhone> Quite a bit usually
<RidleyPhone> And the odds of being selected are like the odds of winning the lottery
<Shardix> Not a bad deal, really. Get to be involved in the cutting edge of technology and a steady paycheck. All they want in return is your cooperation and a whole lot of signed NDA's
<RidleyPhone> Which most folks don't really like but what can they do? They have to look out for their own, and everyone knows that most of the people in these studies take placebos anyway right?
<RidleyPhone> Yup
<RidleyPhone> I mean sure
<RidleyPhone> The core setup is a bit puerile as a 'how did it get here'
<RidleyPhone> But its less important in a game that isn't really about how it got there
<RidleyPhone> Its not a political commentary
<RidleyPhone> Just a backdrop
<Shardix> Yeah. I assume part of the idea of the game is figuring out exactly what this research is really for
<Shardix> The lab chief requesting that you stop asking questions has a bit more menace behind it given the background
<RidleyPhone> I will be doing a ton of planning
<RidleyPhone> But you guys will get intranet accounts with addresses @wave4.oneiros.sci

Edit: Added some additional bits

Shardix fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 8, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Confirmation of above chatlog.

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST
Saberwulf, Fatimah's dream self seems to be short a die- not sure if it's a typo, since your Grace indicates a 2d6 in Social rather than the 1d6 you have down.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Chaos Triangle posted:

Saberwulf, Fatimah's dream self seems to be short a die- not sure if it's a typo, since your Grace indicates a 2d6 in Social rather than the 1d6 you have down.

That is a typo! Thanks for pointing that out, editing now.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Withdrawing, holy poo poo the other apps are good + probably don't have the time to fully commit to this game even if somehow picked. Good luck / have fun everyone :)

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 11, 2013

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

[Andrea shuffles slowly up the steps of the subway, purple tinted sunglasses shielding her bloodshot eyes; earbuds keeping a blissful oblivion intact, pounding out something that sounds like Black Veil Brides. Whatever. It’s way too early for her to care what sort of poo poo Pandora is vomiting into the cluttered, binary miasma permeating every molecule of smog-choked Neo-NYC. Town really went to hell these past few years. Ever since this good ol’ prezy-wez was elected, all the cries of those green-hearted bitches, who clung so desperately to their wistful dreams of planetary salvation, were snuffed out with a quickness. Industry took the reigns offered by fascism and huge factories sprung up like weeds in a graveyard. The government was taking its cues from the successes of super-powered China; plenty of low-wage factory work available for those in need of keeping a roof overhead, or their vices well fed. With what would undoubtedly be the Last World War on the horizon, support for environmental causes seemed far-fetched; might as well try to scrape off blackened crust from the bottom of a soup kitchen kettle with a silk cloth. Everyone was neck-deep in filth, and most people thought they deserved it.

Dreams. Who the gently caress needs ‘em when you’ve got heroin? For Andrea (AKA: “Nil”), every day was a tortured, twisted, beautiful dementia that she locked herself into; from the first dismal rays of strained sunlight, until passing out in the back of an unlocked car, or on a friend’s couch, or in a John’s bed. The big, bustling city itself was her home – she loved and hated it as she did herself. Everything was going just fine until her probation officer, Phil Masters, handed her the letter from Oneiros. He said the treatments they could offer there would cure her of her addictions and get her on the “Right Path”. Successful completion of the program would also get him out of her life, and her record would be expunged (since the felony was committed before she was 18). Apparently there would be some pretty nice drugs involved, real trippy stuff. The paycheck definitely wasn’t anything to sneeze at either, not that Andrea cared much for wealth. Easy come, easy go.

She completed her ascent of the stained, ashen subway steps and emerged upon the bustling sidewalk. There were a few questions that needed to be filled out in order to complete the application. She could walk over to Prospect and grab a bench to fill out the form before meeting ‘Master rear end in a top hat’ later that day. Hopefully she can make it without retching into a gutter or two. Too bad Starbucks can’t do poo poo for a Speedball crash. That mandatory pre-entry rehab is going to be a mega bitch; but it's not like it will be her first time. What the hell do these creepy-rear end doctors want with a tramp like her anyways?]

Where are you from originally?

Grew up in Brooklyn. Lovely picture of a Modern Family it was, minus the ludicrous wealth and quirky, played-out sense of humor. Wish I’d had a big-breasted, Columbian bimbo for an aunt, though. Oh look! We’ve got gays! We’re progressive!

Daddy did low-wage labor in one of those loving factories, and Moms worked the poles in a few of the seedier neighborhoods. That is until Pops worked her with one. He’s been locked up since I was twelve, and I was just thrown in and out of det. centers and group homes until I hosed up a bit too much to even stay in one of those. You learn how to scrap in the system, you have to; especially if you’re a girl. Don’t let these skinny limbs fool you, my elbows are sharp, and I can feed you your teeth if I gotta.

How old are you?

Just turned nineteen; though I let my Johns think I’m a few years younger than that.

Do you have any religious beliefs?

I keep myself on enough ‘supplements’ to ensure I don’t need to partake in the Opiate of the Masses. poo poo. Everyone’s scared, and everyone has their own way of dealing with that fear, right? I don’t blame those sorry fuckers for believing in some fantasy novel a bunch of dudes wrote hundreds of years ago. I’m guilty of the same “sins”; I just have more fun coping with them. I guess you could say I worship the gods of fighting and loving – usually at the same time.

Do you have any family? Close friends?

I did have a sister, Christine Bailey. She was three years younger than me, and couldn’t fend for herself when Daddy was on the bottle. I took more beatings for her than I care to remember, but he would have to knock me the gently caress out before he could touch her, and I don’t go down easy. I’m pretty good with a guitar, but she had real talent with painting. Girl was a prodigy; and the sweetest person I’ve ever known. She was the only good thing to come out of our family, and I would have done anything to protect her. When the Bastard killed Mom, Chris was taken in by a foster home and later adopted by some family in North Carolina. She would write me everyday, but adoption wasn’t in the cards for yours truly. I was made for the system – perfect fit, really. Eventually, after circulating through dozens of facilities, I didn’t give her my new address. She doesn’t need someone like me in her life. I tell myself it’s for the best; but I sure hope I didn’t hurt her.

So yeah, as you might have guessed by my looks, I’m in a band. Glam/Prog/Metal thing we call Banshee & the Siren. My girlfriend, Britney “Heart” Capps and I started it a year ago when I got out of lock-up. (We all have band names. She actually goes by the “<3” symbol on our website and posters, but how the gently caress are you supposed to say that?!) She plays bass and I’ve got my old SG. It’s the most valuable thing I own, I guess (or at least one of the only things I haven’t pawned); and I’m bringing it with me or you can gently caress off with your sleep study bullshit.

Anyways, it’s Heart; Angel on boards and tables (very cool transgirl from the Village, part time DJ as well), Fail on lead sweeps (self-styled youtube prank celeb, he’s responsible for probably 50% of our crowds); and Beater on skins (actually named for his preference of shirts, his grandparents are basically deaf, so we practice in their basement). They’ve been there for me every step of the way, and are the closest thing to family I’ve known. I crash at their pads whenever I can, but I don’t like to burden anyone with my poo poo you know? Heart wants me to quit pumping my veins with poison and focus on making it in the music biz. We do get gigs a hell of a lot more than most metal bands these days, and quitting the drugs and the cigs would definitely help my vocals; but then I might as well go do some over-hyped, cookie-cutter Idol crap. Hell no! I think public self-destruction is part of what makes a band great. Who doesn’t want to watch a wreck? Besides, I don’t think I can be (or want to be) anything else.

What did you do before you were selected?

(See above, rear end in a top hat.) Lots of booze, drugs and gigs with my band whenever we can get them. Can’t make a living with our earnings right now, really, we barely scrape by with enough to even play. To support my habits I do what plenty of girls with sob-stories like mine do: I work the streets. I’ve got several tricks on the regs, and they’re not all bad guys. Most of them want me to thrash ‘em around a bit, which is fun. Others want to do the same to me, which is just as enjoyable. Maybe it’s like some kind of catharsis – like hurting myself keeps me sane. I used to cut, but I got infected once and realized there were better ways to fulfill my sado-masochistic needs. Don’t worry though, I’m clean. You’ll see once the tests are done.

How did you (and any loved ones) react to the selection?

Honestly, I’ve got no idea why you wackos want a wretch like me. Someone to offset the intelligence levels or whatever? Going to turn my life around and hoist off the chemical noose around my neck? I don’t really care, though. As long as you get the Man off my back, and your Ambien is good, I’ll be your lab rat. Heart was pissed at me until I told her that they were going to let me bring her along if she wanted (she did, albeit reluctantly; girl hates hospital/facility-type places, having had to drag my rear end out of several). Thank god she turned eighteen a couple months ago; her parents are never around and I would've had to forge their signatures (which I suck at, though I've had some practice on prescription pads). I let the band know that the money could go a long ways towards getting some quality time in a real studio. I think they’re also glad I’m getting clean for a while; there’ve been a few close calls and maybe a couple ER visits lately. It loving hurts every time to see my girl there when I wake up, her eyes all red and swollen from crying. Doesn’t stop me from tapping the needle when I get back to her place, though. Awesome girlfriend I am, huh? ‘Least I admit it.

What do you want most out of life?

The next hit, the next gently caress, the next black eye, the next drunken orgy of screaming fans violating every orifice as I crowd surf around the pit, like a tattered rag doll being flushed down the Great Cosmic Toilet to be spat out into the stillness of space, twisting and turning endlessly past ejaculations of stars and comets; burning like a white-hot, sexual supernova as I crash through the sun.

I want the same as most people: to be the Immortal Ever-loving God of my own destiny. You can have your salt of the earth – I want sugar, baby.

What do you fear most?

I talked with Angel about this after getting particularly blitzed one night. I’ve never felt… comfortable in my own skin. In fact, I hate it. Sometimes I just want to just crawl out. I’ve always wished I was a boy; and occasionally I even bind up and try to pass as one (sans the Glam rock look, of course). I don’t think I get any closer than androgynous, though. Maybe if I had been bigger and stronger I could have stopped what happened to my family. I could have shielded Chris from it all. I don’t know if that’s what caused this… disphoria (as Angel calls it). I mean, even when I was just a kid I always preferred doing guy-stuff: playing tackle football, fighting in the schoolyards, teasing girls. I don’t think I have it as bad as Angel (she’s getting surgery next year); but I think the feelings of self-loathing would ease a bit if only I could somehow learn to cope with who I am. If I had to describe the sensation, it’s kind of like being void. You just aren’t a part of the world around you. Identity is a motherfucker.

I guess my biggest fear is that I’ll never be able to accept myself, and that I’ll drag all the people I actually care about down with me.

What is your innermost secret?

Besides the whole gender thing? Well, I guess you can’t say my deathwish is secret, since everyone pretty much knows I don’t give a gently caress.

I love pain. Physical, emotional, mental. Different flavors of the purest sensation there is. I need it to feel alive; I need it to feel normal. I intentionally look for scraps at our shows, never satisfied with a performance until blood is drawn. Sometimes I like to inflict it on others, Heart currently being the primary recipient. It always happens to those that get close. There was this one girl, Melissa, in the first group home I went to. Her parents had abused her as well, and after I made her cum she would cry in my arms about the things they did. You never forget what happened to you. It becomes a part of who you are, forever.

One day we got in a fight, and she hit me with an aluminum bat, breaking my arm. In a blood-frenzied fit of rage, I told her that she was “Daddy’s little whore” and she could go back to them for all I cared. She just sort of collapsed at that, dropping the bat. She didn’t even cry, just looked at me with those dead eyes. They put her in confinement, but forgot to remove her shoelaces. She was found hanging inside her closet the next day.

You never forget.

What are your hobbies?

This some kind of joke? I think you can skim through my previous answers and figure it out, pencil dick. Music is the only thing that makes me feel genuinely happy; whenever I’m not stoned or on the nod that is. The harder the better. Most “pop-stars” are people who just stand there in front of a mic and belt out perfect little notes to perfectly over-produced little tracks they didn’t create, singing perfectly trite, mundane, meaningless lyrics they didn’t write for the lowest common denominator. loving dregs, man. Who needs that poo poo?

My favorite frontman of all time would have to be ‘Dead’. Google that sick bastard and you’ll see the greatest album cover ever. Imagine if the Foo Fighters had done that with Kurt... Hah!

Offended? Good. That’s like a hobby of mine~

pre:
WAKING SELF

Name: Andrea “Nil” Bailey

Appearance:
female
5’6” / 115 lbs / turquoise eyes (contacts, normal = blue)
short blonde hair with pink highlights

Attributes
Physical: 2d6+1
Mental: 2d6
Social: 2d6+1

Qualities

Mental
Conviction: 0
Intellect: 0

Physical
Dexterity: +1
Fortitude: 0
Strength: 0

Social
Charisma: +2
Dignity: 0
Manipulation: +2

Derived Values
Health: 7
Sanity: 6

Skills
  • Crafts: 0
  • Defense: 1
  • Dodge: 2
  • *Dream Shaping: 0
  • Law: 1
  • Stealth: 2
  • Streetwise: 3
  • Unarmed: 2
  • Writing: 1
[Andrea has some skills she’s picked up from a hard life of juvenile delinquency and living on the streets; particularly fighting, sneaking around and learning how to survive on her own. She’s learned a bit about the judicial system from her experiences in dealing with various courts and having got into tiffs with the law on multiple occasions, and she can fast talk her way out of trouble usually. There’s something magical about how she can control large crowds with her intoxicating charisma…] Advantages “Get in the Pit, bitches! Bleed for me!” Andrea has a rockstar persona, for sure. Still, it’s quite uncanny how willing people are to follow her brutal, often dangerous whims. It’s extremely hard to ignore her, and she’s often the center of attention, even when not on stage. Whether it’s her sexy looks, magnetic aura or her silver tongue, she is the very definition of temptation. “Don’t disappoint me. That’s not even gonna leave a scar.” She may not always win her fights, but that’s not the point. ‘Nil’ just wants to get wet. Blood, sweat, cum, whatever. Her love of violence gets her into plenty of trouble, but also grants her remarkable courage. If someone is too squeamish or scared to continue, you can bet Andrea will be there to pick up the slack. She’s that friend of yours who screams “YOLO” before pogo-sticking through a wedding ceremony to ninja-kiss the bride. (Except she doesn’t really say that ‘cause it’s totes lame.) ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ DREAM SELF Name: “Drew” Age: ??? Appearance: male, seemingly in his mid-twenties 6’1” / 175 lbs / one eye is red, the other is blue / dark hair [“Drew” is a manifestation of Andrea’s innermost desires. His blue eye can see true beauty and goodness, while the red eye can see true evil and horror. Occasionally one of the eyes will go blind, however, causing chaos and confusion; which not only effects Drew, but also possibly the dreamscape as well. With a greatly enhanced perspective, reading people intentions comes quite easily to him, as well as a supernatural ability to manipulate others.] Attributes Physical: 1d6+2 Mental: 2d6 Social: 3d6 Qualities Mental Conviction: 0 Intellect: 0 Wits: +2 Physical Dexterity: 0 Fortitude: 0 Strength: 0 Social Charisma: +1 Dignity: 0 Manipulation: +3 Derived Values Health: 5 Sanity: 6 Grace: 9 Dreamstuff: 0

hctibyllis fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 11, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
hctibyllis, I like the app, you're hitting a few notes that I was hoping to see, but it may be a bit on the dark side for what I have in mind. Specifically worth mentioning as well is that the Oneiros Institute runs a clean facility, meaning that if Andrea is on as many substances as implied, she's going to crash, HARD, with withdrawal for a good chunk of the intro. Is there a way you can work some rehab in as a pre-element?

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Sorry! I was trying to push myself a bit with this character, but if its too much I can smooth out the edges. :shobon:

It's likely Andrea had to get clean in a rehab facility before arriving at Oneiros. I can add that in the intro bit of my app if you like? You can PM me if there's anything else you want me to rework.

hctibyllis fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 10, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara Planchart

A young girl, curled in on herself, mumbles a litany over and over.
..they are not real, they are not demons, they are tricks of my mind. My brain is damaged, like a leg, it is no more and no less an act of God or Satan than any other harm. Recognize the voices as tricks, trust that I am still myself and still in the world, and that He will protect me and care for me. I have done nothing wrong, it is not my fault, I am still loved, and I will move through this. These voices are nothing, they are not real, they are not demons, they are tricks...
And on and on.

Hello! This is other Lara (Dream Lara? Delora? ugh, sounds like someone's aunt), answering for regular Lara. She's feeling a bit stressed today, you wouldn't get much out of her.

Southern Kentucky, foster care system. It was not very pleasant overall, though at least none of her families were actually abusive. More that sort of close-minded self-worshipping religious strictness you get from people who do good things out of duty and fear rather than kindness.

2) How old are you?
21 last month.

Regular Lara is deeply submerged in rigorous Southern Baptism. However, she doesn't especially share the fine details of her parents' beliefs. Obviously people need to establish a connection with Jesus as their savior, but a lot of the particulars about views on God (and what He wants) stem from narrow and wrong-headed interpretations of scripture.
I find my own beliefs... muted, you could say. Quite a few of what I would think are my priorities as "Lara" are muted, in fact, to the point where I don't really consider us the same. Thus the "regular Lara" and "dream Lara" and so on.

Regular Lara doesn't keep in touch with her foster parents anymore, and she moved too often (and was a little too weird) to establish any close friends. Lara spent the three years of 8th to 10th grades in the same place, managing to make the transition from middle school to high school among semi-friends, who usually shared an interest in art, and maybe two or three of them would recognize and care about her now. It's hard to remember them though, and they could just as easily be... distant, unwilling to deal with the new, disjointed Lara.

She was being treated for schizophrenia at St. Helen's. Near the end of her stay at her last family (the Smiths), she was diagnosed, and the Smiths held a church fundraiser for her to get admitted. It was a little awkward. She's spent the three years since becoming "an adult" there, learning coping strategies, but it hasn't been very effective.
Well, maybe that's unfair. It could be much worse. She's not out on the streets, and she at least recognizes what's going on.

The Smiths don't really keep in contact anymore. Karen, regular Lara's therapist, is a little worried about the whole thing, but feels it could be a good change, and thinks Lara might be able to get better, more personal treatment at a more advanced government facility.

Regular Lara is kind of under a lot of stress at the moment. "What she wants" is mostly to just get rid of the voices, with occasional waffling towards suicidal thoughts.
Me? Well this whole "dream thing" is pretty neat. Like to see where this leads. It is really quite nice to be shed of regular Lara's problems. I think if I were somehow in the real world and without that baggage, I might want to go into social work. Give back, help the system, that sort of thing.

Regular Lara is in a constant state of terror about herself and her mind. She knows what's going on and is really freaked by how that's still not helping, and how it's getting worse. She fears that it will just progress, and she will lose even her current tenuous grip on reality.
My fear? Spiders. They really give me the willies. Oddly, I don't think regular Lara ever had much of a problem with them, which is awful peculiar.

Regular Lara doesn't really have any room for secrets anymore. For a long time her problems with faith were it, but now that's not so important.
I myself? I'm an open book. Also I haven't had time to nurture any.

Regular Lara was an exceptional artist. Paintings, sculpture, lots and lots of sketches. Her families didn't particularly encourage her, but neither did they discourage her, and her teachers in school were quite nice. Her art has become much more... disoriented now. At St. Helen's, they gave her paper and soft charcoal, but near the end of her stay everything had become much more abstract, pattern-based sort of deal.
I'll admit I share her interest.

pre:
Attributes
Physical 2d6 + 2
Mental 2d6
Social 2d6

Qualities
Physical

Mental
Wits: +0
Conviction: +2

Social
Charisma: +2

----

Skills
  • Athletics: 3
  • Crafts: 3
  • *Dream Navigation: 1
  • Firearms: 0
  • Melee: 0
  • Stealth: 3
  • Unarmed: 2
---- Dream Self Appearance Identical to her waking form--oddly identical, in fact, no apparent physical differences or "special effects" or the like. Except, of course, for the fact that the dream form is freed of the schizophrenia. Dream Attributes Strength:2d6 Mental:2d6 + 1 Social:2d6 + 1 Dream Qualities Physical Strength: +0 Dexterity: +0 Fortitude: +1 Mental Intellect:+1 Wits: +1 Conviction: +1 Social Charisma: +1 Manipulation: +0 Dignity: +1 ---- Advantages Schizophrenia: You suffer from schizophrenia. Initially, this will be little more than a mild derangement of thought and rare hallucinations, though it will eventually progress into a severe disconnect from reality. There are no explicit mechanical effects, but in general some forms of mental or social attack will simply not function (there is nothing to attack), and the effects of lost sanity will often manifest in line with this condition. Similarly, many types of mental or social actions are simply not possible, or at least extremely difficult. What would be normal interaction for someone else might require a roll to accomplish, and any sort of finesse or tact is out of reach. Dream Ease: Dreaming comes easily and naturally to you. You are always in your element, you always enter and exit the dreams quickly and cleanly, and you are never disoriented by the act of dreaming itself, though of course beings within the dream can still cause disorientation or harm, as can overexertion or overuse of shaping or magic. Furthermore, the state of your body or your mind in the waking world never has an effect on your dream self (excepting death, presumably). ---- Derived Values Health: 9 Sanity: 8 Grace: 6 Dream Derived Values Health: 7 Sanity: 8 Grace: 8
I am not sure how to calculate the derived values. Are scores of 2d6 worth 6 pips? Or 4?

e: vvv Okay I think I've got them right then.

zachol fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 10, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
six pips. 1d6 = 3 pips

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard was a smart kid at school, but not a very active one. He preferred to read books and escape from his reality, where the bigger and more active kids made fun of him. As school went on it got worse, he went out less and ate more which only served to heighten his own anxieties and invite further bullying. Computers and books offered an escape from the horrible burden of reality. When he got older Bernard found his general drive and social skills had been crushed a little. He didn't network much and while he was smart, it was difficult for him to apply himself and stand out at work. He ended up in a comfortable but dead end office job that wasn't going anywhere. Bernard had enough money to live on his own and to pay for his games and books, but the future just wasn't going to go anywhere. After some medical issues relating to weight he finally started to do something about his health, but not with any particular enthusiasm. Mostly Bernard was just afraid of dying from a heart attack or diabetes. Then after a few years, came the lottery. He'd been selected to do something, something important. This was his chance to stand out and to show everyone how great he really was.

A no name town in America. I am not familiar enough with states and cities to pick a good one though, but the character is not really tied to any geographical area.

2) How old are you?
30 and going nowhere

My parents never went to church much and I didn't like it when we did. The kids at church picked on me as much as the ones at school.

Dad died a few years back, mum is still around and I look in on her every month to make sure she's still eating. I've got some work colleagues I guess and a few people I play games with online but they're not really close friends.

I got through my dead end job to get home and play games or read. Nothing more really. I tried dating once, I got one date and she laughed at me, laughed!

Mum was really excited but I don't think she really understood what it meant. My friends online were kind of annoyed they'd need to get a new healer as if it was my fault (I read the fineprint). Pricks.

I really want to get back at everyone who made me suffer, to see them suffer as I did, to be able to push back! I want to be successful, rich, powerful and attractive. I want to not be me.

That I can't be anything more and that I'll die alone and amounting to nothing.

There was a kid that had an accident and he could never walk again. It wasn't an accident. It was my fault. I sold him out so the big kids wouldn't think I wrecked their car. And I was glad it wasn't me.

I read books and play video games but I also download movies and TV. I go to the gym twice a week, but I don't really get anywhere with it because it's painful and I never really push myself. The boxing lessons haven't been so bad though I guess, I imagine I'm punching stupid Derek Johnson.

quote:

Bernard Smith

Realworld

Physical 2d6+1
Strength +1
Dexterity
Fortitude +1

Mental 2d6+1
Intellect +1
Wits +1
Conviction

Social 2d6
Charisma
Manipulation
Dignity +2

Academics 2
Athletics 1
Computers 3
Defense 2 (1)
Dodge 1
*Dream Navigation 1
*Dream Shaping 2 (1)
Firearms 1
Law 1
Medicine 1
Occult 1
Science 2
Survival 1
Unarmed 2 (1)
Writing 2

Dream Self

What does it matter if you hurt someone in a Dream? It's not real after all. In the Dream World Bernard is what he wishes to be, strong and powerful while being just as smart as he is in the real world. He can lash out at anyone who tries to hurt him and make them them hurt instead. This repressed anger and urge for violence expresses itself in his demonic visage, influenced from the many novels he has read and games he has played.

Physical 3d6+1
Strength +2
Dexterity
Fortitude

Mental 2d6+1
Intellect +1
Wits +1
Conviction

Social 1d6+1
Charisma +1
Manipulation +1
Dignity

Advantages:

This is just like this book I read...
Bernard has read a lot of books and played a lot of games. While this isn't exactly a helpful encyclopedia of knowledge for any situation Bernard does know a lot of conventions and tropes, as well as the ways to break them as well. In situations that relate to or are similar to such things he can draw on this knowledge for extra insight. The real world isn't often like in books or games though, that's why they're an escape mechanism.

Cop it on the chin
A lifetime of hurts and abuse, real or perceived, have taught Bernard to simply take things and to remain outwardly calm or unaffected by it. The pain is the same inside, as are any desires for revenge or feelings of betrayal, but Bernard is good at not outwardly showing such things

Derived Values:
Health: 8/10
Sanity: 7/7
Grace: 8/4

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 18, 2014

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Some really interesting apps! :allears:

Will the characters be interacting much with each other (in the 'RL' as well as dreamworld)? There should be some nice personality clashes if so :cheeky:

--
PS. Added in a mention of mandatory rehab for Nil before Oneiros (which we can pretend happened before we start if you want). Also added that Heart is coming along as a guest.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The idea is that yeah, there'll be interaction :)

I'm certainly not against going off and doing things alone from time to time, though this game isn't built around it the way some of my others are. The strength of the format is that it allows that kind of thing. Overall though, there'll be a baseline of group activity.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Going to keep recruiting for another week, so if you want in, please have something to me by the 18th. Good stuff so far, of course!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Last call for apps. If you've got something and still need to the original deadline to finish it, post to that effect and I'll hold out for you but otherwise, I'll make my picks in about 24 hours.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

GL everyone! Even if I don't get in ill probably follow this thread. Very cool concept and system! :j:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson was born to a poor single mother in Pine Hills, Florida. Even from an early age, he was taller, stronger, and faster than others his age. He started playing basketball in middle school. It was around this time that Isaac's older brother, Abraham, got involved with drugs. When Isaac was 12, he witnessed the murder of Abraham by one of his business associates. This left a profound effect on him - Isaac resolved that he would make something of himself, get himself and his mother away from that sort of horror.

Rededicating himself to basketball, Isaac was a stand out star in high school. AAU and college recruiting followed, then two years playing at the University of Florida. Isaac was a standout player at small forward, not a superstar but clearly good enough for a career in the NBA, maybe even as a starter. Though there was a lot of pressure for his home town team, the Magic, to take him, Isaac ended up with the Sixers in Philadelphia. He did well his first two years, but during his third suffered a major knee injury. A long rehab followed, but he was able to get a good contract with the Portland Trailblazers. Things were looking up - right up until he blew out his other knee twenty games into the season. After that, the interest from NBA teams evaporated. Looking at minimum contracts for bench spots with middling teams, and having spent most of his first contract on taking care of his mother, Isaac ended up taking another route - he went to Spain, where he had an offer to start for more money. He struggled at first due to the culture shock, but he found he had a talent for languages, and he's always been able to get along with people.

Isaac became a star in the European leagues, moving between teams in Spain, France, and Russia. He even played in Turkey for a while, but the team's finances were in disarray and they reneged on his contract, so he went back to Russia. Isaac did well enough that NBA teams approached him occasionally, but by then Isaac had found he liked Europe, and besides was married to a Russian fashion designer by that time. The marriage wouldn't last, but they had a daughter, Isabella, and since his ex-wife preferred to live in Europe, Isaac tried to stay close as much as he could.

Isaac wouldn't have even been in North America, except that his mother had passed away unexpectedly from heart failure. Returning for the funeral and put her affairs in order - and fend off some of the more disreputable cousins - Isaac ended up staying for a few months, considering offers from a team in China and a potential NBA contract. Isabella and Natalie came to visit him while he was staying in Miami - which is when word came that Isaac had been selected for the study.

----------

Pine Hills, Florida. It's not even really a town - the way things are organized in Florida is strange, though I didn't realize that until I moved out and saw how screwed up it was compared to everywhere else I've lived. It's got a bit of a reputation, but it's not entirely deserved - most of it is people making ends meet, working class people. Some spots are pretty bad. I was from one of those spots.

2) How old are you?
Thirty. Not that old by most standards, but getting into middle age if you're a professional athlete.

Not really, and I'm glad my mother can't hear that. She was a god fearing woman, and she tried to raise me to love the Lord... But it was her church, not mine, you know? I saw too much evil when I was growing up, a lot of it by people who'd be up singing hymns on Sunday, to really buy into it. And spending time abroad, seeing Europe and Russia, marrying a Russian woman - I got a little too worldly for the Southern church my mother raised me in, and spent too much time with people telling me all the wrongs of the big, old churches to convert to one of them.

I've got a few uncles and cousins, but they and I never really got along. I've got a daughter, Isabella, but she lives with her mother, my ex-wife Natalia. We met when I was playing in Russia. They live in London now.

I played basketball. Small forward. My last contract was with a team in France, but I had a nice offer from a team in China. The ball there isn't on the same level, but the money is better, and it's an up and coming league. And hey, I'd get to see China, which would have been dope, though it would have meant seeing even less of Isabella... I also had an offer from an NBA team. Less money, but it was for a contender, and the League still has it's allure. Not quite as bad as being in China, but it'd still have meant being distant. I wish I'd gone back to Europe. I wouldn't be in this mess. Guess I'm going to be away even more now.

I wasn't happy, and neither were they. Right on the heels of having to bury my mother... And it's like a double up, that I wouldn't have even been where they could have picked me, except for that. Natalia is furious. I know not at me, but I'm the only one she can take it out on. And Isabella doesn't really understand. She's scared and worried. I hate that. I guess I should be more afraid for myself, but right now I'm just angry at them for messing with my life - and even more for messing with my daughter's.

Maybe it's a cliche thing for a parent to say, but I want my daughter to have a happy and successful life. I used to want respect, to prove I was the best at my game - but I know I'm not. I'm happy as long as I know I did my best. I want to be able to pass that along to Isabella - that you should follow your dreams, but that you have to let those dreams have some room to grow and change, because it'll take you amazing places if you let it.

Something happening to Isabella. That's my nightmare. Especially if it's because of me, somehow.

Also, snakes. Snakes are loving scary, man.

Maybe I'm just a fool, but I still love my ex-wife, Natalia. Hope we can still work things out somehow. Hubris or something, I don't know, or just daydreams, making things rosier in hindsight than they were. But sometimes you don't really know what you had until you lose it, and some part of me hopes maybe I can win it back.

You'll laugh at me. No, you will.

Okay, okay. When I was playing in France, some guys on my team introduced me to parkour and savate. That freerunning stuff, and savate is like French kickboxing. I got into it at first for training, but I got a big kick out of it.

poo poo, I didn't mean that. You know what I was trying to say. It was fun on it's own. And it strengthened my legs a lot, helped with my balance. Made me a better athlete, a better basketball player. I even took up fencing. That was sort of another draw for going to China, to see some of their martial arts. Kung fu, tai chi - get to try some real Shaolin stuff.

drat, that sounded racist as hell.

So - I also do some writing, sports stories for local papers. People get a kick out of hearing from the big gauche American who plays ball - and it turns out I'm pretty good at it, so they keep reading. I was planning on going back to school after my playing days were over, get a degree in journalism, join the media, right? Maybe write a book about playing ball in Europe. Who knows if I'll ever get to that now.

quote:

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Physical 2d6+1
Dexterity +2
Fortitude +1
Strength +1

Mental 2d6
Conviction
Intellect
Wits

Social 2d6+1
Charisma
Dignity
Manipulation

Academics
Animal Handling
Athletics 3
Computers
Conversation 3
Crafts
Defense 1
Dodge 2
*Dream Navigation 1
*Dream Shaping 1
Drive
Firearms
Hunting
Languages 3
Law 2
*Magic
Medicine
Melee
Occult
Science
Stealth
Streetwise 2
Survival
Tracking
Unarmed 3
Writing 2

Part 2: Dream Self
Azimov

Isaac's dream self is Asimov, a brilliant and companionable robot. Azimov is a keen observer of events and of humanity, though with a detached and analytical demeanor befitting an artificial intelligence. Azimov is a manifestation of Isaac's love of observing the world around him and his wish to be more than just a dumb jock, but also of his alienation from being a foreigner for so much of his life, and of his desire to remain unaffected emotionally by tragedy around him.

Despite being a metal man, Azimov is somewhat fragile, but is quick on his feet and with his wits.

quote:

Azimov
Physical 1d6+1
Dexterity +1
Fortitude +0
Strength +0

Mental 2d6+2
Conviction +1
Intellect +1
Wits +1

Social 2d6+2
Charisma +1
Dignity +1
Manipulation +0

Part 3: Advantages

Stranger in a Strange Land
Isaac has never really fit in anywhere, but in his wide travels and varied experiences allow him to adjust rapidly to new situations and interact with strange and foreign people and customs without losing his equanimity. He knows how to figure out how to get along in a new place without giving offense, and how to get what he needs even when he doesn't know the language.

Good Teammate
Unless you have freakish athletic talent, you only get so far in basketball on your own. Good players learn when to defer to their team mates, when to pick them up, when to have their backs. Isaac can put aside his own ego for the good of the team, and understands the value of loyalty. He knows that teams work best when everyone knows where they stand and what their role is, and as long as it serves the collective good, he's willing to take a back seat when it's for the benefit of the group.

Part Four: Derived Values

Waking Self
Health: 8
Sanity: 6

Dream Self
Health: 4
Grace: 9

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 19, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
OK. I like all the applications for this, but I have only six spots. Picking for this was one of the hardest choices I've had to do since I started running games here, so please don't feel bad if you didn't get in.

Our lucky Oneiros lottery winners are:

rakovsky maybe – Maureen Krukowski
saberwulf – Ishikawa Fatimah
hctibyllis – Andrea “Nil” Bailey
zachol – Lara Planchart
HiKaizer – Bernard Smith
Comrade Gorbash – Isaac “Izzie” Wilson

Thank you to all who applied!

Game Thread

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Yay! :D

Q: If we have anyone coming along with us, are they on the bus as well?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
They are, though Sarah won't have ID cards for them.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Do I need to roll to try to intimidate Axel?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Haha no. He is a dipshit kid and Nil is built in intimidating to that type. Have fun with him. Incidentally, the whirlygirl will end up largely in my hands if you are ok with that overall?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Edit: phone posted twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

No problem! Britney (Heart) is definitely more of a passive, nurturing type -- almost the polar opposite of Nil.

• Locked thread