Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Rhopunzel posted:

I just watched a P-63 destroy a B-25 and then dive into its wreckage. I couldn't stop laughing.

I also saw two guys follow an A-20 into a mountain. I never knew WWII could be so funny.

Wait are you the guy who shot off my B25's stabs like an hour ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've been trying to play this thing with the Oculus Rift but my view gets all twisted. I tried to assign a key to straighten my view. Does anyone know how to do that?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Red Robin Hood posted:

I've been trying to play this thing with the Oculus Rift but my view gets all twisted. I tried to assign a key to straighten my view. Does anyone know how to do that?

I know the trackir has a key like that I think it is f12, but no idea about the oculus

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Fair enough. But still... why should I? If some guy in an infinitely more expensive and advanced plane wants to fly STRAIGHT AT ME, I say let him.

Never stop ramming expensive planes in your reserve planes. Not only does it make economic sense, but the rage it induces is simply wonderful. :allears:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I will sacrifice my plane to ram the fucker bearing down on me Especially if it's an Aircobra.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I would love if someone with video editing skills could turn the seagulls in the nemo scene into little planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BNbHBcnDI

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Still pisses me off that you can be the soul reason your team wins and be placed 10 in the score list. I went on lonely island destroyed the poo poo out of cargo ships and landing craft until they were all gone and we win, and all I get is 10th place, a score of 656, 11k xp, and 5.2k lions.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Elendil004 posted:

Wait are you the guy who shot off my B25's stabs like an hour ago?

Yep!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
That's what you get for going for the mission objectives on a map where those consist of low-value targets Skwee. Just bomb the destroyers, maybe the bunkers and leave the rest for someone else to grind down while you farm planes. Even if you lose, you'll still get more xp/lions out of it.
This, combined with the broken assist system, makes me believe the Devs don't want to see any actual teamwork during arcade missions.

Well, killing internet planes is still fun, so who cares.

Karabiner98Kurz
Sep 25, 2005

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE ALL THIS MANPOWER?
Great OP Keket.

Finally back from vacation, should have some time to play this week.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That was hilarious. I had like 4 teammates in chat telling me what to do

Flaps!
Pull up
Turn slow
Only rudder
Dive
Climb
Etc!

It's a small world, though.

edit: I was flying low in a B-25, Rhopunzel flew by, blew my stabs off and then figured I'd crash and he flew off to find other targets (I was the only guy left).

I managed to get combat flaps up and keep the nose up long enough to drop a full load of bombs and almost complete a turn back to home base when I finally crashed.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Feindfeuer posted:

That's what you get for going for the mission objectives on a map where those consist of low-value targets Skwee. Just bomb the destroyers, maybe the bunkers and leave the rest for someone else to grind down while you farm planes. Even if you lose, you'll still get more xp/lions out of it.
This, combined with the broken assist system, makes me believe the Devs don't want to see any actual teamwork during arcade missions.

Well, killing internet planes is still fun, so who cares.

Still prefer actually winning

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

How is the economy in this game at high tiers?

I've been driven away from this game by claims that the high tier planes are unplayable due to absurd repair costs that make them impossible to play profitably. Is that still the case - or is that just without premium?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

FileNotFound posted:

I've been driven away from this game by claims that the high tier planes are unplayable due to absurd repair costs that make them impossible to play profitably. Is that still the case - or is that just without premium?

The answer is a little lengthy. The thing is Gaijin doesn't seem to have a loving clue how to balance out what people want to fly and are doing so by loving around hamfisted with the economy and repair costs. Though if you are reasonably good at the game you will most likely never stagnate monetarily (even if that means your income over time is utterly pitiful) or go into negative overall income rates. We bitch so much about things because they changed the game from where 100k credits was easily doable to getting half that is hard to accomplish. Lately the game has been seeing "flavor of the month" swings because of Gaijin rationalizing increasing and decreasing repair costs based on how often certain planes are flown. Overall the game is really loving fun, but the people at Gaijin are dumbshits who don't seem to have basic sensibilities about gaming.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

In arcade you must be terribly bad, even just to lose money, even without premium.
However, in history and realism modes it's a different tale, and it really depends on what you're flying, as the repair prices are individual for the machine.

In history not being terrible is, generally speaking, getting one kill (by doing that you'll be already better than 50% of player base). That said, one kill, and some ground damage, should earn you, in most of the cases, enough lions (regular money) to compensate the repair costs. If you get any more - you will get profit. Didn't lose the plane - even better.

Also, you have to consider that repair costs also differ for the plane itself. The more your aircraft was destroyed (burned, shot, rammed), the more lions it will cost to repair. When you're falling off - eject your crew, to save some repair cost as well (mystical medical expenses, they really do exist). That said, repair cost can be anywhere between ground level and maximum, but generally speaking, you won't get more than 2/3 of the maximum price that often. For example, in one of the last HB I've played (2 days ago), my N1K2-Ja got shot down by F4U, but I ejected the crew. Repair price was 17k with 40k being maximum for N1K2-Ja. In other game, I got burnt down and repairs were 36k, but I had no chance to eject, and that was something really pesky following me and I was literally black.

Can't say anything for realism, as I have no joystick to play it comfortably, but it should be okay as well, excluding the fact that there are 300 or so players playing it at all.

That said, the worst players do shout the most, and they are what usually others hear. It's not that I defend Gaijin or something, as they are not doing what would make sense to be done right now, but it's not that bad as everyone crying in various places.

p.s. Writing this late in the night (local time), I'll recheck it in the morning for nonsense.
p.p.s. Don't fly bombers, it seems that you can't get anywhere close to being profitable there (in HB and FRB I mean).

edit: Some basic grammar checks.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 7, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Regarding those being able to enter Wings of Prey keys for gold, you can also just go to https://www.warthunder.com and click the Redeem Code key on the right and enter it like it's a promo code. At least I could with my physical, non-Steam copy, even though it doesn't conform to the format the field expects.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Just downloaded the game and already the games control scheme is loving confusing. My old-rear end Attack3 has always pitched up slightly, and in most games all I have to do is hit a button to correct it, but here there's about 5 different sliders and some nonsense bar with physical and logical axes and whatever on it. How the hell do I adjust the center point for pitch?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

i poo poo trains posted:

Just downloaded the game and already the games control scheme is loving confusing. My old-rear end Attack3 has always pitched up slightly, and in most games all I have to do is hit a button to correct it, but here there's about 5 different sliders and some nonsense bar with physical and logical axes and whatever on it. How the hell do I adjust the center point for pitch?

If you are playing arcade, it is probably better to just use mouse aim.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So with replays, is there a good way to capture video? Seems like you can't step backwards, so you have to FF to where you think the action is, pre-plan a good camera angle because it seems like switching on the fly is cumbersome and hope you capture it?

I ask because I'm pretty sure I dealt the killing blow to a PBY by aileron rolling over the top and knocking his prop off with my wingtip and surviving...but I am not sure and if it's true I'd like a gif or video of that because it was pretty boss.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

So with replays, is there a good way to capture video? Seems like you can't step backwards, so you have to FF to where you think the action is, pre-plan a good camera angle because it seems like switching on the fly is cumbersome and hope you capture it?

I ask because I'm pretty sure I dealt the killing blow to a PBY by aileron rolling over the top and knocking his prop off with my wingtip and surviving...but I am not sure and if it's true I'd like a gif or video of that because it was pretty boss.

MSI afterburner is pretty good for recording off replays, and yeah, you pretty much have to find exactly when it happens, and get all set up.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
What exactly does having vertical targeting set to yes change?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Skwee posted:

What exactly does having vertical targeting set to yes change?

It basically makes your crosshairs point directly to wherever the bullet will be at the distance you specify.

Keket posted:

How gun convergence works

this isn't very important if all your guns are nose mounted (Yaks, 109’s etc)

How bullet drop works.

nearly all guns (even some that fire the same ammo) have different drop rates and velocity, take this into account.

Think of it as vertical gun convergence.

TskMgr posted:

Great job, could have saved me a probation had I found that link to -GO- in the original thread :colbert:

For future reference, anyone that wants to join the squad or is already in the squad and has questions/complaints about arcade mode should PM -GO- Burno in-game. If he doesn't respond it's probably because you are not typing in all caps.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
The pubbies are mad.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Thief posted:

It basically makes your crosshairs point directly to wherever the bullet will be at the distance you specify.

Think of it as vertical gun convergence.

For future reference, anyone that wants to join the squad or is already in the squad and has questions/complaints about arcade mode should PM -GO- Burno in-game. If he doesn't respond it's probably because you are not typing in all caps.

Alright

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

How to not be killed by friendly fire/collision and how not to kill anyone else by friendly fire/collision.

How to intercept.

(Yeah, I know you guys don't need these, but gently caress it, someone asked for instructional diagrams.)

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Needs one about not shooting rockets (or anything) when you decide to go head on with an enemy that is being tailed by someone already

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So apparently battle trophies are random.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skwee posted:

Needs one about not shooting rockets (or anything) when you decide to go head on with an enemy that is being tailed by someone already

Not exactly what you want, but this is the last one I have time for.

How to win head-to-head.

Also, if you're in front of someone with a pubswarm behind them, make an oblique attack instead of a head-on. In the really unlikely even that you get teamkilled in the 0.01 seconds you're near where they should be firing (you shouldn't be in their fire, but.. pubbies) call the guy out in chat and then the rest of the pubswarm will get pissy at him.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 8, 2013

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

If you're in arcade mode you should always be attacking from on top or below while zoomed in for ridiculous deflection shots.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
So after several violent deaths, I went back to my high altitude base-bombing ways in my B-17. Easy money that's consistently profitible with the lower reapir costs. What I don't understand is how I can draw 4-5 fighters who will spend the entire game climbing to 9000 meters to kill me even after I stop bombing the base and my team still loses, even though they were effectively down by that many players.

It never gets old watching that, though, it's the sunk-cost fallacy in action and I smile when the game ends and they have a grand total of 87 points, 0 kills, and 0 assists

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Generation Internet posted:

So after several violent deaths, I went back to my high altitude base-bombing ways in my B-17. Easy money that's consistently profitible with the lower reapir costs. What I don't understand is how I can draw 4-5 fighters who will spend the entire game climbing to 9000 meters to kill me even after I stop bombing the base and my team still loses, even though they were effectively down by that many players.

It never gets old watching that, though, it's the sunk-cost fallacy in action and I smile when the game ends and they have a grand total of 87 points, 0 kills, and 0 assists

Is base bombing viable? It seems like it gives so little xp...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

It's only good for being that rear end in a top hat that makes at least 5 high altitude fighters climb for the entire round.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thief posted:

It's only good for being that rear end in a top hat that makes at least 5 high altitude fighters climb for the entire round.

You can sometimes draw 5+ fighters to your Havoc and keep them on your tail for most of the match just by zooming around the edges with them all trailing behind you. Especially in lower-rank games where not much is as fast as you. Just don't get too far ahead, or they'll get bored and go elsewhere.

The A-20 is ranked too high to get away with it that often, but the British Havoc Mk.1 is great for it - sometimes you'll get this absolute swarm of biplanes and buffaloes behind you, and your pissy 7.7mm tail gun won't kill them, but it will tag them enough that you get awarded the kills when they inevitably smash into each other or shoot each other down, because the kill-award algorithm seems to prioritise enemy fire over friendly, and shooting over collisions*.

*I have tested this as much as I dare, and it seems that when you teamkill someone who's under fire from an opponent, the opponent is usually awarded the kill even if you P-39 the friendly's wing off and the opponent is just plinking them with tinyguns. When you intentionally ram a dude (even a friendly) who's chasing a bomber with active gunners, the bomber usually gets the kill instead of "crashed" like with the usual two fighter collision scenario.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 8, 2013

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Elendil004 posted:

Is base bombing viable? It seems like it gives so little xp...

It's totally viable*, I didn't take a screenshot, but I just finished a game where I took out the enemy base by myself for a total of 57,000 lions and a boatload of XP. Not bad for arcade.

e: *With a proper bomb load. Don't bother with anything below 1000lbs. Multi 1000lb loads are great, and so is anything with 2000 or 4000lb bombs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How easy is it to pull immelmans and stuff using the default KB+M controls? It seems like pulling advanced maneuvers with the mouse is really hard and I've never successfully pulled it off, although it might have something to do with the plane I'm flying.

Also please keep posting diagrams no matter how stupidly obvious they seem :shobon:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hold down ctrl or whatever is bound to pitch up. Look with your mouse where you want to go. As soon as the plane is fully inverted release ctrl and it will level out.

Reverse immelman seems much more effective in arcade. People usually wont invert before diving so they wont be able to keep up.

Someone please post that handy chart with what the min bombloads are for different targets

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 8, 2013

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fauxtool posted:

Hold down ctrl or whatever is bound to pitch up. Look with your mouse where you want to go. As soon as the plane is fully inverted release ctrl and it will level out.

Oh my god, thanks so much. I had no idea there was a pitch up button, I was just trying to drift the mouse up constantly to flip around and.. well, it wasn't working.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Use the keyboard to force a straight pull back on the stick, turn the camera around so you're facing the way you want to go and let go of the keyboard and it will auto-correct and roll over for you.

e: I'm slow.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Can anyone post the differences between certain bombs (mostly an issue with japanese bombs..) There seem to be several kind of the same weight just of different names on the same plane, and I have no idea what the difference is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

By default CTRL is bound to shooting rockets.

• Locked thread