Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Party Plane Jones posted:

By default CTRL is bound to shooting rockets.

S should be bound to pitch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

By default CTRL is bound to shooting rockets.

no loving poo poo, that why i typed out the extra words, " or whatever is bound to pitch up"
not everyone plays with the same control scheme
Ctrl to pitch up is one of the selectable control options when first playing the game

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Skwee posted:

Can anyone post the differences between certain bombs (mostly an issue with japanese bombs..) There seem to be several kind of the same weight just of different names on the same plane, and I have no idea what the difference is.

Following is in effect only for bombs on Japanese planes.

Here you go. There is a simple rule, that will help you make sense and remember it all - 'mod' bombs are armor-piercing, and 'mark' bombs deal more area of effect damage. In the most basic scenario - you need to 'mod' bombs to kill ships, and 'mark' bombs are for everything else (as it is now, in patch 1.31).

Edit: Grammar and sensible image hosting.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 8, 2013

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

kalstrams posted:

Here you go. There is a simple rule, that will help you make sense and remember it all - 'mod' bombs are armor-piercing, and 'mark' bombs deal more area of effect damage.

Might wanna change hosting to imgur or something, imageshack doesn't work on SA.

beat me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Keket posted:

So apparently battle trophies are random.

I second that.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
And here I am, not having gotten above a 7500 Battle Trophy. I must be doing too mediocre or something.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

kalstrams posted:

Following is in effect only for bombs on Japanese planes.

Here you go. There is a simple rule, that will help you make sense and remember it all - 'mod' bombs are armor-piercing, and 'mark' bombs deal more area of effect damage. In the most basic scenario - you need to 'mod' bombs to kill ships, and 'mark' bombs are for everything else (as it is now, in patch 1.31).

Edit: Grammar and sensible image hosting.

Thanks man. Should mod be used on pill boxes as well, or will mark work just as well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thronde posted:

And here I am, not having gotten above a 7500 Battle Trophy. I must be doing too mediocre or something.

You're just too good (seriously), because the game I've got my million was terrible in any possible way.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Skwee posted:

Thanks man. Should mod be used on pill boxes as well, or will mark work just as well

For pillboxes it's mark bombs, if larger than 250 kg, and appropriate mod bombs if smaller than 250 kg or 250 kg. By appropriate I mean the 250 kg mod bomb that is 'type 98 mod 25'.

edit: Double post, don't murder me.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 8, 2013

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

quote:

Me-410 airbrakes fixed
fixed saving of selected weapons and skins in battle and in hagar
fixed DM bug when some planes could have some damage in construction after respawn (releveant for battles with respawn)

Mwhahaha, people don't realize that the Me-410 had air brakes. This plane just became one of the best (if not, THE best) ground attacker in the game.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Fauxtool posted:

no loving poo poo, that why i typed out the extra words, " or whatever is bound to pitch up"
not everyone plays with the same control scheme
Ctrl to pitch up is one of the selectable control options when first playing the game

I have to turn my steering wheel 90 degrees counter-clockwise and then honk the horn to shoot my rockets.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thief posted:

I have to turn my steering wheel 90 degrees counter-clockwise and then honk the horn to shoot my rockets.

For me it's strum twice and hold the orange button.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Dominic White posted:

Fair enough. But still... why should I? If some guy in an infinitely more expensive and advanced plane wants to fly STRAIGHT AT ME, I say let him.

I also do this. If I'm dicking around in my tier 2-3 plane, and an LA-5 or FW190 wants to head on me, when I can't shoot him down with my poxy machine guns then drat straight I'm smashing into him.

Thats a tier 12 plane out of the fight for the loss of my tier 3

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This should probably go in the OP as "how to stomp 90% of pubbies".

The high yo-yo.

Short version: Use it when someone is turning faster than you can turn.

Long version: Most pubbies will "defend" just like the defender in that diagram - they will pull into a hard, flat turn when you fire at them. This works pretty well against other pubbies, because depending on which planes are engaged, the attacker might or might not be able to follow the defender through the turn. Because an attacker is generally (if he's doing it right) higher and faster than the defender, he will lose his speed and altitude (and thus energy) advantage by flat-turning with the defender. Even if the attacker succeeds, the hard flat turn has bled off his speed, and he's now low and slow like the defender just was, and at best will have to waste time regaining height/speed/both.

Instead of flat turning, high yo-yo even if you know your plane will turn inside theirs! You will lose less altitude and speed (energy) overall, and thus end up in a better position after you get your kill. And you will get your kill unless the other guy knows what he's doing (about a 5% chance at best) or you gently caress up your attack (about 50/50 with me recently :().

If they keep turning after you miss, just keep doing the same thing and you'll get there eventually, but with less energy than you would have had if you hadn't hosed up.

If someone does this to you, counter with a similar maneuver and the whole thing sorta becomes a rolling scissors, but it's really unlikely that a pubbie defender will counter like that.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I just started so I'm not very good but the game seems unaware of this fact.

Edit: Or it has a very loose definition of "Land"

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 8, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or are ground units behaving super eratically recently? A few weeks ago they used to just go along the road in neat lines, but now they're crossing back and forth over it like it isn't even there, and at times they even seem to hit the reverse. Not to mention all those times they just randomly vanish into thin air even when there's nothing nearby that could have shot them. It makes high-altitude bombing even more of a pain than it already is.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Is it just me or are ground units behaving super eratically recently? A few weeks ago they used to just go along the road in neat lines, but now they're crossing back and forth over it like it isn't even there, and at times they even seem to hit the reverse. Not to mention all those times they just randomly vanish into thin air even when there's nothing nearby that could have shot them. It makes high-altitude bombing even more of a pain than it already is.

On one map I know they disappear under ground randomly, popping back up later. I think it's the top of the world map.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Jam posted:

I just started so I'm not very good but the game seems unaware of this fact.

Edit: Or it has a very loose definition of "Land"

You see at the bottom where it says your plane will be repaired in 2:05? Your plane touched down at a friendly airfield and was critically damaged to the point it couldn't fly (... obviously) but not enough that it just blew up like an action movie prop. That's basically all it takes to get soft landing. Sometimes you can even get it not landing at an airfield, though you won't get repaired.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Perestroika posted:

Convoys now actively move off of the road in erratic paths when bombers fly overhead, and theres some new bullshit system in which the game starts to kill off ground units if it decides they aren't dying fast enough.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

This should probably go in the OP as "how to stomp 90% of pubbies".

The high yo-yo.

Short version: Use it when someone is turning faster than you can turn.

If someone does this to you, counter with a similar maneuver and the whole thing sorta becomes a rolling scissors, but it's really unlikely that a pubbie defender will counter like that.

This is how I attack 90% of people when flying a fighter. If there aren't multiple enemies it's nice to use in a B&Z plane because you will probably have way more energy than whatever you are fighting and you will be able to do the yo-yo multiple times (only really needed if your plane doesn't have cannons). Only about 1% of the time it will turn into a rolling scissors, and even if they eventually get behind you, the retarded pubby circus will have shown up to gangbang them.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 8, 2013

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ahdinko posted:

and theres some new bullshit system in which the game starts to kill off ground units if it decides they aren't dying fast enough.

You sure you're not getting this confused with ground units just killing each other, like has existed for ages? Hell with the NPC B17's we now have air units that will do the job as well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

king of the bongo posted:

Just kamikaze into it to win the drat match.

Thank you! Finally someone else of the same mindset as me. My friends and I have won countless extremely close matches because we rammed the last ground targets rather than wait for the bombers to do it and lose. And yet, despite typing for people to do it in chat, noone but us seem to actually be willing to be the divine wind that turns it from a 6-0 loss, to a 0-1 victory with our sacrifice.

I have another tip for everyone. Never trust a Stuka, and if you see it turn to go head on with you, do not accept the challenge. My friend has countless kills just by going head to head with pubbies in his cannon stukas and blasting both wings off with one shot.

And finally, in conjunction with the whole "don't be that guy who blasts a friendly's tail off to get the kill" I would like to add, don't be the rear end in a top hat who dives down and gets behind the plane that I am already chasing only to immediately get shredded by my MG and cannon burst that was intended for the target. Instead, just strafe him and blow past, don't get behind him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ukle posted:

You sure you're not getting this confused with ground units just killing each other, like has existed for ages? Hell with the NPC B17's we now have air units that will do the job as well.

Nah, I'm pretty certain I have seen the far back pillboxes on Berlin or Archipelago just wink out of existence with nothing that could hurt them anywhere near them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Stukas are pretty amazing aside from being about as maneuverable as a brick. The 20mm version has 1000 rounds in its mags. The 37mm version makes short enough work of planes that if you start firing before the 750m mark that youl'll kill pretty much everything head on.

In regards to random unit destruction, it seems to be on a timer so that the matches will end in some reasonable time frame. It's especially noticeable on maps that have battleships or carriers because they will start randomly exploding when they're the only units left on the field.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stukas are pretty amazing aside from being about as maneuverable as a brick. The 20mm version has 1000 rounds in its mags. The 37mm version makes short enough work of planes that if you start firing before the 750m mark that youl'll kill pretty much everything head on.

In regards to random unit destruction, it seems to be on a timer so that the matches will end in some reasonable time frame. It's especially noticeable on maps that have battleships or carriers because they will start randomly exploding when they're the only units left on the field.

The 20mm-armed Stuka is amazing for three reasons. Firstly, it can seriously surprise at-rank opponents in a head-to-head. Secondly, when some rear end in a top hat's behind you, pretend you're Maverick - hit the airbrakes, watch him fly right past you*, shoot him in the arse. Thirdly, if you get shot down in the middle of a proper dive-bombing run, it usually doesn't matter - if you immediately start spamming your spacebar, your bombs will often hit the target anyway.

Obviously that last part's true of any dive bomber, which is why I usually get them out to kill that last pillbox or destroyer that I just loving know that nobody's going to get.

On random unit destruction: I'd assumed it was other ships sinking the ships that "just blow up". I haven't noticed them sinking if there aren't other ships or artillery shooting at them.

*Or ram into the back of you. Pubbies :argh:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I've noticed that a couple times (especially on fjords) with destroyers I was about to bomb later in the game. I always assumed someone else beat me to them, and wondered why the explosion was so small.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Secondly, when some rear end in a top hat's behind you, pretend you're Maverick - hit the airbrakes, watch him fly right past you*, shoot him in the arse.

Unfortunately the 37mm models have the airbrakes removed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Unfortunately the 37mm models have the airbrakes removed.

Yeah, which sucks, because that would be the best in that plane.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

ukle posted:

I've seen the carriers on the pearl harbour map just suddenly die quite a few times without being bombed/torped/anything

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Started playing this pretty much on Historic after hitting rank 2.

So far the biggest WTF moment was landing a seaplane on the airfield. I didn't believe my teammates when they told me I could do it despite not having any wheels...

They were right. Belly slide!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Started playing this pretty much on Historic after hitting rank 2.

So far the biggest WTF moment was landing a seaplane on the airfield. I didn't believe my teammates when they told me I could do it despite not having any wheels...

A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is when you can use the plane again.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

FileNotFound posted:

Wait till you belly slide to cap an airfield and then hit WEP and struggle off the ground and into the air in the middle of the domination furballs that happen over airfields. Screeeeeeeeech, woooooooo, go little plane go.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I had a great one where I landed, capped, then took off, bounced once and broke my landing gear, slid (got second set of landed xp) then struggled into the air and completed the match.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is when you can use the plane again.

I just felt dumb because I flat out refused to believe that I had to belly slide. "Guys - seriously?" "YES LAND" "No really....guys I got no wheels!"

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I had been hearing over and over about how the ME410 isn't that great, and had thus been avoiding the German twin engine fighter tier. I have to say that this is a pretty big mistake to make. On a whim I teched up to the DO217-N and decided to try it out. I have to say, while I love my hanger full of BF109s, I always start out with my DO217 and have an absolute blast. All I do is climb at the beginning of the match, and just start bouncing bombers and distracted pubbies before climbing and doing it again. Sure, the plane doesn't roll with poo poo, but its turning once rolled is decent, and I have noticed that a lot of pubbies just see that inverted triangle and love to swarm behind me as I lead them either into friendlies, or have my friends drop onto them once they take the bait. (having a full squad with voice chat really does give you a huge advantage)

I haven't tried the ME410 yet though. Does it behave similarly to the DO217, or does it fly completely differently and fly as poorly as I have seen some people say?

Edit: Well, those airbrakes sure will come in handy when pubbies are on your tail. Who needs to out turn the enemy when you can just throw the e-brake.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 8, 2013

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

McDeth posted:

Mwhahaha, people don't realize that the Me-410 had air brakes. This plane just became one of the best (if not, THE best) ground attacker in the game.

Not only that, it can pounce bombers far more easily now. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I haven't flewn the Dornier myself, but I really do enjoy the 410s. They're super fast, climb well, and the armament of the later versions is powerful enough to down most bombers in one solid burst. The downside however is that the rudder really isn't worth poo poo. You need to set up your approach very carefully and if the target evades there's pretty much no way to quickly correct for that.

Also, the /U4 with the 50mm cannon is easily the most hilarious plane I've ever flown. Blasting bombers apart with a single shot out from 1km never, ever, gets old.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I haven't flewn the Dornier myself, but I really do enjoy the 410s. They're super fast, climb well, and the armament of the later versions is powerful enough to down most bombers in one solid burst. The downside however is that the rudder really isn't worth poo poo. You need to set up your approach very carefully and if the target evades there's pretty much no way to quickly correct for that.

Also, the /U4 with the 50mm cannon is easily the most hilarious plane I've ever flown. Blasting bombers apart with a single shot out from 1km never, ever, gets old.

It does when you're the bomber :saddowns:

That being said, I become what I hate every time I play my fighters. It's easy to gain lots of altitude to pick off bombers before they can drop a single bomb. Absolutely infuriating when you're the victim, but easy money if you have a big cannon. I feel bad every time I do it, but not quite enough to not do it.

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
Historical Battles are so fun, why don't more people queue for them :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

mottbag posted:

Historical Battles are so fun, why don't more people queue for them :negative:

Because the majority of people don't find them fun.

• Locked thread