Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Here's a simple lesson for any aspiring pilot:

Seriously, when there are already two or more teammates on the tail of a guy, go find another target. And for god's sake at least find another angle instead of trying to shoot through teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or are ground units behaving super eratically recently? A few weeks ago they used to just go along the road in neat lines, but now they're crossing back and forth over it like it isn't even there, and at times they even seem to hit the reverse. Not to mention all those times they just randomly vanish into thin air even when there's nothing nearby that could have shot them. It makes high-altitude bombing even more of a pain than it already is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ukle posted:

You sure you're not getting this confused with ground units just killing each other, like has existed for ages? Hell with the NPC B17's we now have air units that will do the job as well.

Nah, I'm pretty certain I have seen the far back pillboxes on Berlin or Archipelago just wink out of existence with nothing that could hurt them anywhere near them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I haven't flewn the Dornier myself, but I really do enjoy the 410s. They're super fast, climb well, and the armament of the later versions is powerful enough to down most bombers in one solid burst. The downside however is that the rudder really isn't worth poo poo. You need to set up your approach very carefully and if the target evades there's pretty much no way to quickly correct for that.

Also, the /U4 with the 50mm cannon is easily the most hilarious plane I've ever flown. Blasting bombers apart with a single shot out from 1km never, ever, gets old.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, I just unlocked the Aircobra and it's completely ridiculous. Either the six MGs or the big cannon would be perfectly viable armaments on their own, but gently caress it let's just slap both of them on a single, wicked fast, plane. And all that at tier 6, no less. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Landing on a carrier gets easier once you realise that the tower can serve as a braking aid :v: :

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Shooting them down (not tk) then mocking them when they bitch, mostly.

Also saying "it takes two to tango, sweety" after any ram complaints, which seems to strike a nerve.

Arguing that it takes much more skill to hit an opponent with your entire plane rather than just with your guns also never fails to get a rise out of people. :allears:

VVVVV Oh yeah, clipping a guy with an IL-2 and then just doing a 360 will their plane falls to pieces is always hilarious. VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 9, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

Is the tier 6 Beaufighter as crappy as its stat would suggest in comparison to the tier 5? I'm sure bombs and rockets are nice, but the tier 5 is a murder machine.

It's kind of an incremental upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless that turns it into a very solid ground-attacker in addition to a bomber-hunter. The six .50s are great for strafing soft targets, and rockets/torpedos are useful for cracking hard ones.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

I have a distinct memory of reading about it somewhere, but I have no idea where. I think at the very least there's a strong possibility it could have happened at some point simply due to the massive amount of shells and planes that were involved. That, and the fact that it wouldn't even be close to the strangest thing that happened during the war.

On that note:

And there's also been at least one occurence of a good old ram:

Otroschenkov Sergei Adreyevich posted:

I remembered one episode which had occurred back in that area. We were prepared for attack. An artillery bombardment was ongoing. Up in the sky there was a dogfight between two fighter aircraft. A German Messerschmitt (Bf 109) and our Lavochkin La-5 were spinning around overhead spitting at each other with machine guns and cannons. We were watching them peeping out from the tank. It was interesting, though unsafe. Tracer streaks of their bursts every now and then were raking the ground near us and banged on the tank armor. The aircraft would close in and bank apart, but none could take an upper hand. At the end they found themselves in a head on encounter. The pilots in a head on attack continued firing at each other. After a few seconds a clap rang out and a heap of burning metal fell to the ground. Neither of them had veered aside and both died. For a few seconds none of us could say a word. We were deeply impressed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nippythefish posted:

You got to wonder what the view from that bomber's bombsight looked like prior to release.

If they were using the Norden bombsight, they probably never even saw the plane directly below them. Or maybe the planes aligned like that at the last second and the automation started dropping before somebody managed to turn it off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TerminalBlue posted:

Holy poo poo H6K4s are hilarious. Spent an entire round of Domination just circling and getting shot, with near the whole team chasing me. They finally forced me to crash land on their held airfield(I didn't have wings), so I downed three more of them while I was sitting there. Thought I died, but no, I actually got to repair and do it all over again.

Yeah, it's a giant honeypot for people who don't know how to attack bombers. You can just dive right through a big ball of enemies with it and then spend the next few minutes leisurely picking off those poor fools who went charging after you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

I've tried this in arcade and I'm not convinced it actually makes you climb any faster. It does, however, introduce the possibility of having to pay the reloading fee without actually having bombed anything :v:

I can definitiely confirm that having a bombload makes a difference for climbing/speed. You can check for it pretty easily: Drop everything, then start climbing at a constant speed. The second you're reloaded you'll notice a marked drop in speed and climb rate.
I learned that the hard way when I was trying for a carrier landing with one of the american navy fighter/bombers (F6F or something? The one with the bombs and rockets). I was coming in low and slow, at a nice, almost perfect approach. Then a few seconds before touchdown about 1 ton of bombs reloaded and I almost instantly dropped several meters, slamming right into the rear end of the carrier :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

If you think the minor vocal outbursts against bugs and spotting is annoying now, just wait until their shiny toy tanks are going to be facing planes again :allears:

This is going to be amazing. Can't wait to strafe some wehraboo's shiny new Tiger to poo poo with an IL-2. Or just drop a 4000 lbs bomb somewhere in their general area.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

The Il-2 is not very good at strafing tanks, unfortunately. Once it gets its 37mm cannons that will change though.

Eh, even the 23mm with its ridiculous rate of fire should be enough to mess up most tanks pretty you hit the rear and top armor, and for anything too heavy you have the bombs and rockets. But yeah, it's also gonna be great fun to snipe people with the 37mm+ cannons on some of the german planes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Artless Meat posted:

The tears when :911: get released should be amazing.

I'm more looking forwards to :japan:, if only for sheer comedy value. Your APCR has no power here where every shot is a clean through-and-through.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wooper posted:

Lots of people are talking about artillery as a anti-camping measure. It is only needed because the best measure, skygods, are currently disabled.

Oh man, I'm really looking forward to seeing this for myself. It's gonna be so satisfying to just tell your skygods "Hey, there's an rear end in a top hat Panther camping in C3 behind the big rocks" and watch them deliver some 500kg justice. Though of course in random pubbie play this is only gonna happen like once a year.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me, or is flying Fighter/Bombers and Attackers in HB kind of useless? I've been trying it for a bit with the Hellcat and Il-2, but it just seems like a 'proper' bomber would be much more effective and accurate thanks to having an actual bombsight, not to mention carry way more ordnance. It also doesn't help that you have to start on the ground with the rest of the plebs, meaning that you're even more vulnerable to being picked off before even getting anywhere due to the glacial climb rates.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haha, I just unlocked the tiny tim rockets and they're completely amazing. They're basically 250kg boms with a rocket motor, and in HB I get way more use out of them than out of the Hellcat's other ground attack loadouts. Now I only have to manage to get an air-to-air hit with them :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, CA owns so much. I just managed to snag a five kills against player-controlled tanks with a single 500kg bomb. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another nice thing about CA is that it gives me an incentive to revisit those old planes that I haven't flown in ages, since all my tanks are still T1. Turns out the first Stuka is really, really bad, but the He-112 is way more fun than I remembered.

• Locked thread