Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

This should probably go in the OP as "how to stomp 90% of pubbies".

The high yo-yo.

Short version: Use it when someone is turning faster than you can turn.

If someone does this to you, counter with a similar maneuver and the whole thing sorta becomes a rolling scissors, but it's really unlikely that a pubbie defender will counter like that.

This is how I attack 90% of people when flying a fighter. If there aren't multiple enemies it's nice to use in a B&Z plane because you will probably have way more energy than whatever you are fighting and you will be able to do the yo-yo multiple times (only really needed if your plane doesn't have cannons). Only about 1% of the time it will turn into a rolling scissors, and even if they eventually get behind you, the retarded pubby circus will have shown up to gangbang them.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

BadLlama posted:

By flaps you mean just pressing F?

That is the contextual button (while flying normally it will give you combat flaps, if you have your gear down it will give you landing flaps, and if you are taking off it will give you takeoff flaps), you can hit [ and ] to cycle through them as well.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Vax posted:

Wanna go into the Russians and thinking about the gold lion planes, so which one of the Russian planes is actually worth buying for real money?

The I-153 with cannons for fun times, and I have no idea if you are looking for something that makes a ton of lions.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I went ahead and signed up for an account for this tonight and have been playing around with some of the newbie russian planes. I already don't like mouse and keyboard controls on arcade, the planes just seem super loving squirrley on yaw and rudder but completely stiff and unresponsive on the pitch. I think tomorrow I'll get my X52 control scheme set up and give historical a shot and see if I fare any better.

I did hit level 2 though, and was wondering if it was worth it to unlock and use some of the early russian light bombers.

Use the keyboard to control the pitch. I'd suggest remapping it to W/S and throttle to shift/ctrl.

The early Russian bombers are some of the best in the game. Avoid the first SB that can only unlock 2x500kg bombs, and go for the ones that can unlock 3x500kg.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Soooo... Crew lockouts and grinding to get better modules. It's like they woke up one morning and decided that they wanted to be WG.

Rhopunzel posted:

Why would they have a single team focused on USSR planes and the other team do everything else. :stare:

I heard some bullshit explanation about how WWII USSR planes are still considered classified, so Gaijin had to make a division just for that due to clearance issues? Lol.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 2, 2013

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
The fact that mouseaimers has become derogatory towards people playing in arcade amuses me to no end.

Liberatore posted:

Well, that makes sense. I had no idea how it worked, really. In any case, the point is that Gaijin's line on the issue isn't some "bullshit explanation".

I wasn't implying that the explanation was a lie, just that it was loving ridiculous, true or not.

I could have worded it better but :effort:

Haerc fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 2, 2013

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
double postin

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Does it still forever for FRB battles to start because no one is playing them?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
The A-20 no longer has a level bombsight (f7). I am sad now.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

Kind of related, I went looking in all the trees today and why in gods name does there need to be five S.79 variants in the Italian tree and five Yer-2 variants in the Russian tree? Plus they're all in the same two tiers :psyduck:

I assumed it was because there are far fewer bombers than there are fighters, so they padded it out in order for people to be able to bring 5 (the max amount of planes you can bring without paying) bombers to a match.

Of course, this was when bombers used to actually be fun to play, now you just get shot down in one cannon burst. Seems like every arcade match is now domination.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Quickpull posted:

So I've been playing for a couple weeks now, and there's one thing I don't understand. Why is the reward for destroying ground targets so low compared to dogfighting? I just had a game in my Ju88 where I rained down hell like crazy, giving us an easy win, yet I was almost at the bottom of the leader board at the end. I can regularly top the board if I go after other planes, but then we lose half the time. Whats the logic behind not rewarding people for pursuing the objective of the game?

They really really really want people to buy premium in order to make enough credits to buy new planes ala WoT, and bombing used to give a poo poo ton of credits.

Edit: They gotta make money somehow, but I kind of wish they had just sold skins and decals or some crap instead of going the same old premium route.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

That being said I am choosey about my targets.

Probably just a typo, but p36s are low level fighters with crap (decent for the tier) armament, I assume you meant p39?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Just flew my mc202 across half the map back to my spawn, with 2 bf109s on my rear end. My team proceeds to fly off like they can't see I need help, but 1 109 crashes and the other rams me after being unable to shoot me down for 2+ minutes (all the while I am still over my spawn and everyone on my team STILL ignores the fight).

Why is it that pubbies can't figure out that they should help their teammates instead of piling yet another plane onto the 5+ swarm that is already following the smoking, tailless su-2? I've been playing this loving game since early early beta and it's been a constant problem. Is there an actual explanation other than :lol pubbies:?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Does anyone have an updated list of what ammo we should be using? Am I wrong using the AP only belts on my M2 .50s? I had heard I is a lot better with this patch, so maybe I should try universal.

Edit: also, anyone else having a problem with processing operation is stuck on the screen for a few minutes just to dump you into a match at like 27 minutes left?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

supersnowman posted:

So I got rammed by TWO planes in my JU-88 after they had made my whole plane black including killing both my engines. It might have given me 2 air kill because I hit them with the tail gunner or something. Is this really gonna happen often? I mean at that point I was only an overweight glider with no means of ever surviving.

I got rammed by an SB while I was doing a head on pass at it in my B-25 (which fly like loving poo poo now, must be the dual tail fuckery that Gaijin cant seem to figure out) and I somehow survived with 0 damage other than one dead engine.

Weird poo poo happens in this game.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Don't bother doing biplane matches to try and shoot german planes, when I tried it kept giving me 3 or 4 real players per team with a ton of bots.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Bunleigh posted:

Ever since the 1.37 patch I get this dumbass message every time I start the game

It's not clear what it's changing or how I'm supposed to fix it but I don't have multiple video cards or anything.

I get the same message, and it seems to change some of the settings you can make in the launcher. I have no idea how to make it stop, it's loving annoying.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
2 matches to get the peashooter achievment and 1 for the I-15. I was the only one with a kill for the first 5 minutes of the I-15 match, after I got the 10 kills I just chased my own team around and tried to ram them (only managed to hit one :().

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, the 28th hasn't shown up for me. I've killed a bunch of ground targets in the SBD and nothing is updating.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 28, 2013

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

bUm posted:

If relogging makes it disappear entirely someone (for who knows what reason) probably disabled it on Gaijin's end since it only shouldn't show up if you were in game when they activated it. Have you relogged to confirm it hasn't been activated again since you logged in?

I never relogged... I logged in, ran a couple of matches with the SBD, checked the achievements page and this is what I saw:

It's like the game still thinks it's the 27th. I tried relogging and it's still showing the same thing.

Edit: Just asked in general chat in game :shudder: and a bunch of pubbies confirmed that they have the same problem. Nice.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 28, 2013

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Np, I wasn't offended or anything, just clarifying.

From the link you posted:

Some Pubbie posted:

Just for the heck of it, I decided to take out a Peashooter and shoot down a plane. And sure enough:

picture of old event updating

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I forgot how much I hated the SBD. The 1x1000lb 2x100lb load is pretty terrible, and it seems like everyone and their brother was up my rear end when I was playing it, it took like 6 matches for me to get 10 ground kills.

For whatever reason a lot less people bothered me in my pe-2, I think it only took 2 matches.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I forgot how much I loved the mc202, it's fast as gently caress (listed as 614km/h with all unlocks), and climbs at 25m/s. It also behaves really well in a dive.

It does have a pretty terrible loadout, but if you use ground attack for the .50s and stealth for the small poo poo, it's pretty decent.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Nice, the SBs have been some of my favourite bombers for a while. Back when bombers weren't blown apart by a single rifle calibre burst, I unlocked the 3x500kg loadout on every SB that would carry it (IIRC there are 5 that can), and it's spoiled me on all the other nations lovely bomb loads.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I just ran into an invincible b-25.

3 hits on it's cockpit with the 20mm before a single burst from him at 900m tore the wing off my p-400 and 4 37mm hits to engine/wingroot while diving on him at 700km/h before a single hit to my p-39 made it disintegrate (I'm not joking, both wings and the tail blew right the gently caress off).

None of this appeared to do any damage except some very light smoke from one of it's engines (might have been a fuel leak).

Haerc fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 31, 2013

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

check your replay, cockpit shots kill except when they miss

I was zoomed in trying to snipe, and clearly saw hits on the cockpit area of the plane.

I don't save replays, but who knows, might have been due to lag. May also have been because I was flying with the default 20mm loadout that includes a P round.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

That doesn't mean the server registered it as hitting.

Haerc posted:

who knows, might have been due to lag.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with a processing operation screen popping up when I hit the battle button, only for another screen to pop up saying operation timed out. The screen that shows what map I'm going to play then pops up (without me closing the first window), but it cycles rapidly though maps. Also, the game likes to randomly set the default server to EU.

Edit: None of this stops me from being able to play, it's just annoying.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 31, 2013

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There's a really widespread belief that they don't do anything. I have no idea where it came from, a big ol' chunk of lead is still gonna leave a mark.

I didn't say that they do no damage, it just makes more sense that a solid round would fly through the cockpit doing nothing, rather than an HEF-I.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Bolow posted:

The only other planes that have those slats are the 109E models iirc.

The later LAGGs have them as well.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't played my bf109F's since the patch came out, is it just me or are their tails super fragile now? I dove on an SB, and had the elevator black out, then a LAGG firing only .50 cal blacked it out in one burst. Am I just unlucky (happened 4 times in a row)? I'm playing AB, and I'm not doing any super high-speed maneuvers or anything.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
UGGGGHH just realized I spent 45 minutes trying to find someone who was actually playing Japan so I could shoot them down only to realize I already had completed 10 events for the fighter reward. Oh well, glad that poo poo is done with.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Talking about planes we want in game: the XP-84H.

I don't care what kind of armament it gets, I don't care if it flies like poo poo, it just has to make the noise/visual* effect in game.

*(for the lazy) The XF-84H was quite possibly the loudest aircraft ever built (rivalled only by the Russian Tupolev Tu-95 "Bear" bomber), earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger". On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away. Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards. The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run. Coupled with the already considerable noise from the subsonic aspect of the propeller and the dual turbines, the aircraft was notorious for inducing severe nausea and headaches among ground crews. In one report, a Republic engineer suffered a seizure after close range exposure to the shock waves emanating from a powered-up XF-84H.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Oh man the TB-3. I LOVE IT

They already glazed the front of the huge loving nose, why didn't they put the pilots in there? Anyway, flying around in your giant flying wooden 1920's runabout is pretty neat-o, but I demand that my pilots get complementary sweater vests, boat shoes and shorts.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Are tanks open to everyone yet? I haven't played since late last year.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Is there a way to change the colour of minimap markers or nameplates? :colourblind:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I was on I think Kuban last night in my T-50, and there was a t-34 taking our cap. I multi-track drifted around a rock, lined up my shot into his rear end... and my drifting tank hit an invisible rock, flipped about 300 degrees and landed on its side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

War Thunder: "Mein Cannon ist LOADED, Fürher!" said Rommel, his slacks visibly bulging

I vote for this one.

• Locked thread