Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TskMgr posted:

Dont drop bombs at an odd angle, but yes, the bomb target takes your planes speed/angle/pitch/etc into account.

Basically all the bomb target does is take your planes relative velocity into account, whether your turned 90 degrees or leveled out your plane is still only flying in a single direction, and the reticule is basically an indicator of your current forward travel. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

My pic of this has been linked in the op. Its now in the second post I think.

In any mode other than bombsight mode, your bombs will fall into the center of yellow crosshairs (theoretically). If you aren't at a good angle, the crosshairs will separate a bit showing you the probable scatter area. In bombsight mode, if you are straight and level, the bombs will fall directly into the bigass crosshairs center of the screen. gently caress knows where they will go if you are pitching and rolling all over the place - bombsight view doesn't take that into account.

The direction indicator relates only to the artificial horizon. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any kind of bombsight. It shows the plane's current direction of travel relative to the artificial horizon. If you are looking at bombsight view, there are two separate things on the screen at once. There is the bombsight with the big croashairs that looks down and forward, and there is the artificial horizon which shows the plane's current orientation and direction of travel, and in a level bomber will be "looking" directly forward as you bomb.

So if you think the direction indicator in bombsight view is anything to do with your bombsight, you will be bombing a fuckload of empty fields and ocean.

Unrelated: in the op, "repair rank" should read "for this crew to repair a plane over time, for free, in the hangar, repair rank mist be greater than or equal to plane rank" rather than saying we don't know.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Yer-2 has the game's most retarded bombload. With several 500kg and 1000kg bombs, you can sink most of the enemy fleet on Two Towns with a single reload, and any of one your bombs will kill a destroyer even if you don't hit it perfectly.

The final 2 versions even have a 20mm cannon turret, which is occasionally hilarious when it one-shots expensive fighters from >1km out. Gunners are still loving weird though so don't count on it happening much, but it used to be stupidly deadly. It's pretty tough for a bomber, too.

I ground out the pylons on mine by flying it like an attacker with the smaller bombs, and sniping pillboxes and ships, while are both worth lots of XP. Once I got the 1000kg bombs, I switched back to level bombing and cleaned up. But with bombers being as hosed as they are now, it might not be worth doing it that way.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 7, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dominic White posted:

That's not too bad, really. The month of premium, eagles and planes more than make up the full price of the pack. The campaigns seem almost like a bonus on top.

The historical Pacific campaigns aren't the entire conflict, they're pretty much just the first half. I played them through on Historical difficulty in 2 afternoons. They were fun as hell, but yeah, definitely see them as a bonus on top of the planes and gold, not as a reason to buy the pack.

jaegerx posted:

Is it possible to ensure the sound is on my speakers and not default sound source? I always have my headset and speakers plugged in and I just want to make sure the game sounds are on my speakers.

You might have to set your speakers to be the default output in Windows, depending on what version of the OS you're using. Windows 7 is dumb about sound output in some ways.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 7, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dominic White posted:

The Gaijin Online/Yuplay site: http://online.gaijinent.com/

On the subject of controls, maybe the OP needs to elaboration on how mouse/keyboard controls work. It's not at all what you'd expect. In mouse-aim mode, your plane is effectively AI controlled, with you telling it exactly where to fly. Where you point the camera, it will endeavour to aim the nose of the plane at. It's kinda like the driving in Halo, but with a much bigger safety net. While getting it to pull of specific maneuvers made need some manual override, for general dogfighting it's very capable.

This assistant AI is absurdly talented and will be able to keep a barely-functional plane flying level if it's at all physically possible, even if it means having to crab through the air at a 45 degree angle. You can override it by steering with WSAD + Q&E, but 95% of the time you can rely on it to get you where you intend to be. The result is that you can play it entirely with straight FPS controls on the first two playmodes (where 90% of the players reside). Mouse/keyboard and gamepad become more evenly matched for Historical mode and its more demanding flight model, but Arcade seems to be almost entirely the domain of mouse players.

The mouse is fine for steering around, yeah. You could take off, fly circuits, and land with only the mouse, even in Historical.

It's not possible to do most air combat maneuvers with just the mouse - you need to use some keyboard input too. You should really be doing that more often than 5% of the time while you're in combat, even if it's just to roll your wings to the right position to do whatever you want to do next with the mouse. You can usually tell when an opponent isn't using keyboard inputs because they're the ones just kind of doing flat turns and maybe lovely half-loops that aren't quite immelmanns. The mouse-only aim gets loving weird when you go past vertical, and you can't roll past wings-vertical* at all without keyboard input.

I mean, pubbies are so loving bad that you could probably still get near the top of the score list without ever touching your keyboard during a game, but you can do it every time with mouse+keyboard and a basic knowledge of air combat maneuvering, so why wouldn't you?

*Or wings at 45 degrees, in some planes.

Edit:

Rhopunzel posted:

- Fly where the enemy's going, not where he is 1
- Never fall victim to target fixation
- Never turn your back to an oncoming target that's closer than 2km away
- Never turnfight a Spitfire or any Japanese fighter 2
- Be the first one to dodge in head-on engagements, and start shooting just above them from 1km onwards (Also never ever ever do this against a P-39 or a Beaufighter) 3
- Seriously, don't get target fixated
- Keep track of your previous target if you abandon it for a juicier one
- Know when to disengage and make a run for it. Planes can take a lot of punishment and still have enough maneuverability to do basic evasion
- When disengaging, fly as low as you can and/or hug cliffsides and gun it for your airfield. Spam T and 4.
- Prioritise your targets, if there's one guy who's closer to you but has 3 guys on his tail, and another 0.5km further out with none, you want to go for the latter 4

1: Especially when you're trying to climb to intercept a bomber. The reason pubbies often don't make it up there is that they keep flying directly at the bomber, who is gradually climbing away from them.

2: Except if you're in an I-15, I-16, or Chaika. Or a Boomerang, surprisingly enough.

3: Fire early, yeah. Then break left or right and upwards. Half the time, you'll kill them before their shots get to where you would have been if you kept flying straight like a fuckwit. The other half of the time, you will have turned 1/4 to 1/2 the way around by the time they start turning to meet you, and you win anyway.

4: This is the most important thing to learn if you don't want to end up getting rammed by target-fixated team mates and end up with "most assists" again. Yeah, they're not going to kill the target fast. But neither are you if you're part of a 3-4 plane flaming ball of collisions, team-kills, and swearing.

(Edited out a blurry screenshot)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 7, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

How to not be killed by friendly fire/collision and how not to kill anyone else by friendly fire/collision.

How to intercept.

(Yeah, I know you guys don't need these, but gently caress it, someone asked for instructional diagrams.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skwee posted:

Needs one about not shooting rockets (or anything) when you decide to go head on with an enemy that is being tailed by someone already

Not exactly what you want, but this is the last one I have time for.

How to win head-to-head.

Also, if you're in front of someone with a pubswarm behind them, make an oblique attack instead of a head-on. In the really unlikely even that you get teamkilled in the 0.01 seconds you're near where they should be firing (you shouldn't be in their fire, but.. pubbies) call the guy out in chat and then the rest of the pubswarm will get pissy at him.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 8, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thief posted:

It's only good for being that rear end in a top hat that makes at least 5 high altitude fighters climb for the entire round.

You can sometimes draw 5+ fighters to your Havoc and keep them on your tail for most of the match just by zooming around the edges with them all trailing behind you. Especially in lower-rank games where not much is as fast as you. Just don't get too far ahead, or they'll get bored and go elsewhere.

The A-20 is ranked too high to get away with it that often, but the British Havoc Mk.1 is great for it - sometimes you'll get this absolute swarm of biplanes and buffaloes behind you, and your pissy 7.7mm tail gun won't kill them, but it will tag them enough that you get awarded the kills when they inevitably smash into each other or shoot each other down, because the kill-award algorithm seems to prioritise enemy fire over friendly, and shooting over collisions*.

*I have tested this as much as I dare, and it seems that when you teamkill someone who's under fire from an opponent, the opponent is usually awarded the kill even if you P-39 the friendly's wing off and the opponent is just plinking them with tinyguns. When you intentionally ram a dude (even a friendly) who's chasing a bomber with active gunners, the bomber usually gets the kill instead of "crashed" like with the usual two fighter collision scenario.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 8, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This should probably go in the OP as "how to stomp 90% of pubbies".

The high yo-yo.

Short version: Use it when someone is turning faster than you can turn.

Long version: Most pubbies will "defend" just like the defender in that diagram - they will pull into a hard, flat turn when you fire at them. This works pretty well against other pubbies, because depending on which planes are engaged, the attacker might or might not be able to follow the defender through the turn. Because an attacker is generally (if he's doing it right) higher and faster than the defender, he will lose his speed and altitude (and thus energy) advantage by flat-turning with the defender. Even if the attacker succeeds, the hard flat turn has bled off his speed, and he's now low and slow like the defender just was, and at best will have to waste time regaining height/speed/both.

Instead of flat turning, high yo-yo even if you know your plane will turn inside theirs! You will lose less altitude and speed (energy) overall, and thus end up in a better position after you get your kill. And you will get your kill unless the other guy knows what he's doing (about a 5% chance at best) or you gently caress up your attack (about 50/50 with me recently :().

If they keep turning after you miss, just keep doing the same thing and you'll get there eventually, but with less energy than you would have had if you hadn't hosed up.

If someone does this to you, counter with a similar maneuver and the whole thing sorta becomes a rolling scissors, but it's really unlikely that a pubbie defender will counter like that.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Stukas are pretty amazing aside from being about as maneuverable as a brick. The 20mm version has 1000 rounds in its mags. The 37mm version makes short enough work of planes that if you start firing before the 750m mark that youl'll kill pretty much everything head on.

In regards to random unit destruction, it seems to be on a timer so that the matches will end in some reasonable time frame. It's especially noticeable on maps that have battleships or carriers because they will start randomly exploding when they're the only units left on the field.

The 20mm-armed Stuka is amazing for three reasons. Firstly, it can seriously surprise at-rank opponents in a head-to-head. Secondly, when some rear end in a top hat's behind you, pretend you're Maverick - hit the airbrakes, watch him fly right past you*, shoot him in the arse. Thirdly, if you get shot down in the middle of a proper dive-bombing run, it usually doesn't matter - if you immediately start spamming your spacebar, your bombs will often hit the target anyway.

Obviously that last part's true of any dive bomber, which is why I usually get them out to kill that last pillbox or destroyer that I just loving know that nobody's going to get.

On random unit destruction: I'd assumed it was other ships sinking the ships that "just blow up". I haven't noticed them sinking if there aren't other ships or artillery shooting at them.

*Or ram into the back of you. Pubbies :argh:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Unfortunately the 37mm models have the airbrakes removed.

Yeah, which sucks, because that would be the best in that plane.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skwee posted:

Why isnt it fixed that if you fire in short bursts your wings magically keep spilling out casings eternally until you shoot again

I'd guess it's been "fixed" once already, because it used to happen to me whenever I'd run out of ammo instead of manually hitting reload.

In seriousness, it's probably not getting looked at because there's a shitload of work being done on parts of the game that directly affect gameplay.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

It only has two, he was confused. Those two cannons seem to have cockpit-seeking rounds, in my experience, but only when attached to a Chaika.

This is because the Chaika, like all really turny turnfighters, is going to be shooting at the top and sides of the enemy plane far more often than the rear or nearly-rear.

Its the turniest plane with good cannons, so the "turnfighters hit the cockpit/engine more often" thing is multiplied by the "cannons oneshot components" thing simply because there's more components you can hit from the angles it's usually attacking from.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generation Internet posted:

I once spent an hour just practicing carrier landings in my F6F when Midaway was the only map in U.S. HB rotation, because I hate fun or something. What I learned is that the tailhook comes down on it's own when you're on your approach, but good luck catching the traps. I did it at least once, but you really have to have your nose up and your tail down to have any chance of hitting it. I think I waved off at least 90% of my attempts and just throttled back up.

It's probably pretty pointless to do this stuff until carriers get fixed. Carriers (actually all ships, but the carriers are the most obvious) are clearly not implemented well right now, and there are many reasons to hate them. I'm sure they'll get sorted out eventually, but maybe not until player-controlled ships are in the game.

I wrote a few really spergy posts on the official forums, mostly because everyone had a different theory about what's actually going on with carriers and they couldn't all be right. Carriers (and again, all ships) aren't "just just scaled down" like most people seem to think. They're one or both of: proportioned incorrectly and modelled incorrectly. They're also either not the specific WW2 ship the game says, or not a specific WW2 ship at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 10, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just got a 17 kill game in my boomerangs. gently caress. Yeah. Some guy from -GWS- or -GSW- or something spent the whole game trying to shoot me down, but nope. He was pretty mad by the end. I did get shot down by flying through a pubswarm, but even with that and a teamkill penalty I got 40,000 lions.

VVVVVVVVV I have to start looking up the stats of people who call me a noob.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 10, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AhrimanPK posted:

... the Logbook is bugged

It sure is. I played my rank 4 Brits and 0-1 Russians almost exclusively in 1.29, getting 6-15 kills a game. Just before 1.31 came out, what was the highest plane on my list of kills in the last month?

Yak 9-t. Which I hadn't played more than a handful of times throughout the whole patch, but had been nonstop pubstomping with in 1.27. When I unchecked "last month", it showed the Beaufighter X as my best plane of all time by an impossible margin.

Also, the number of kills in the logbook doesn't match up with the sum of the number of kills in the <nation> pilot achievements. I have no idea how you gently caress stat tracking up that badly, but they have.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been ignoring Japan, but I decided to spend 50 gold to free-xp to level 8 so I could field 2 zeroes at once. God loving drat it, the second zero is a dream plane, the "can't loving roll" thing of the first one is fixed completely. It's great, I don't even have ammo upgrades yet but I was scissoring so quick nobody could hit me and lighting up yaks and las all over the place. It was awesome. I'm going to spend some time on Japan now.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

We nearly lost this loving game because pubbies.

4 of those ground kills are destroyers and one is the heavy cruiser.

I feel sorry for the guy who's in last place. He was actually trying for ground targets and avoiding getting killed, but I kept getting to stuff just before he did and ground targets are worth gently caress all points or lions.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 12, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just got teamkilled 3 times by the same dude. Once from him shooting me when there were no other planes around, and twice from him shooting and then ramming me, which "credited" him with the kill each time.

Same match, I also got a 75,000 lion trophy. Thanks, random angry pubbie.

Do I buy an La-7 or IL-10? I love ground attack, but I also love my La-5.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

keep using your la5, the 7 isnt any better when you consider MM.
Get the il-10 and farm HB ground targets with it until you can afford the 7.
Set convergence to 300 and you can easily kill 25+ targets in one reload. You only need to single click targets, dont even hold the trigger

So it's exactly what it looks like? A faster IL-2? Yeah, that sounds pretty neat.

My convergence is permanently set at 300 for cannon planes, 200 for 7.7 and 250 for .50cal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rhopunzel posted:

The German tree is downright masochistic until you get to the 109's. The He-112 is a shitbox is a shitbox and the plane you'll have to grind in for the longest.

One of the coolest parts of this game is that you never have to grind on a plane you hate (unless you hate the starter planes, but Germany probably has the second best ones). I've gone from rank 10 to rank 14 in Britain mostly just playing a setup of rank 2-4 planes because I like them more than the higher rank stuff.

The two M.C.200s aren't great but are also not terrible. The M.C.202 is a pretty good rank 4 plane. The Ju.87s are ok and have sirens on them. The Bf.110 excels at shooting the poo poo out of bombers and will give you excellent practice pinpoint bombing tanks while murdering anything that happens to fly in front of it. The rank 1 Italian biplane is a murder machine too. So even if you hate the He.112 (and I get why, even if it's more "really quirky to fly" than "just bad"), you don't have to fly it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 15, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

fermun posted:

I never play arcade mode, so I might be wrong here, but as far as I can tell, the indicator doesn't do very much to account for distance, only angular speed. You can shoot from farther than 1km out if you are good, just aim high, you also will want to aim a bit higher than the center of the indicator anyhow because you want to kill the pilot. The indicator tells you where to aim for the center of the plane.

The other thing the lead indicator can't account for is the opponent changing direction or speed once your shots are in flight. Not a huge issue in head-to-head, but if you maneuver before your shots reach the opponent, he will maneuver to face you and you will miss. It becomes a big deal when when attacking during a turn fight, especially with deflection shots.

To explain this better:

Red is the path the plane will take, blue is the lead indicator. The plane loses speed through the turn, which means the lead indicator becomes a somewhat better place to fire at.

The leftmost part should show why "aim slightly ahead of the lead indicator" gets thrown around a lot. It's not because it's wrong, it's because during a turnfight, you will usually be attacking from inside that turn, and aiming ahead of the lead indicator accounts for the fact that the other plane is still turning after you fire.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 16, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

fermun posted:

It also makes it nearly impossible for anyone who relies on the lead indicator to actually hit you if you barrel roll. If you're doing a proper barrel roll, the lead indicator always tells them to shoot at the center of the circle you're turning about, if you have team mates you can fly at for assistance, doing a constant slow barrel roll makes you invulnerable until someone comes along that knows to ignore the indicator and aim where you're headed.

Yes, that too. The lead indicator shows where you would need to shoot to hit the center of the plane if it kept moving in the exact same direction at the exact same speed that it is right now. In a barrel roll, the direction is changing in an even less intuitive way than it does in a turn.

It's pretty much accurate, it's just that what it does is way more limited than most people think. It's good for using as a guide to show roughly where your shots need to go, but it's not the "mouse over lead indicator, win game" thing that some people seem to think it is.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm re-learning Germany after a long hiatus. I'm now good at bf.109 b/z again.

I've just unlocked the omni shell racks for the Me.410 A1/U2 (the one with 4 cannon) and this thing shreds other planes.

I won a head-to-head with an La-5 (by shooting early and breaking, as always), and then the same guy came after me in his yak-9t and got set alight by my gunners (which are apparently fixed, or close to fixed). In chat, he said "It's just lag". I then head-to-head killed him again in his premium Kingcobra, to which he said "I blame lag". I think he might just be bad at planes though.

Germany :black101:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rhopunzel posted:

All of the newbie starter planes get 2x lovely slow firing machine guns, while the Russian starter planes all suspiciously get 4x minigun-fast ones. All beginner biplanes mostly turn the same, so randomly having twice as more guns that fire twice as fast is a massive, gigantic gamebreaking advantage.

The Russian starter planes don't have "minigun fast" machine guns. You're thinking of the Chaika. The I-15 does get 4 guns rather than 2, but they're not the super fast awesome guns, they're actually pretty poo poo compared to other starter guns.

The I-15s have PV-1 machine guns, and the Chaika (and some other later fighters) get the same ShKAS machine gun that's on the IL-2, which is the "super fast" gun (not actually that much faster than most other 7.7mm guns in the game)

Here's a list of the light machine guns in the game and their rates of fire:

PV-1 (Russian starter plane machine gun)
ROF: 600-780 RPM.

ShKAS (Russian machine gun on Chaika and most other 7.7mm armed planes)
ROF: 1800 RPM

MG-17 (German light machine gun on starter planes and some Bf.109s)
ROF: 1200 RPM

Browning M1919 (US light machine gun on Peashooter and P-36)
ROF: 1200-1500 RPM for the AN/M2 variant (which was the aircraft variant, and so should be the one in the game, there was a 400-600 RPM version which wasn't fitted to aircraft, who knows what's happened because Gaijin).

Vickers E (British light machine gun on Fury and some bomber turrets)
ROF: 450-600 RPM

Browning Machine Gun (British version of M1919 AN/M2, fitted to Gladiator, Spitfire, Hurricane, some bomber turrets)
ROF: 1200-1500 RPM (Same caveat applies as to the US version)

Type 89 machine gun (Japan, starter planes and some rank 1-2 stuff)
ROF: 750rpm (usually used in flexible mounts such as on bombers)

Type 97 machine gun (Japan, Zeroes and some bomber turrets)
ROF: 900 RPM (A licensed copy of the Vickers E, apparently with some improvements)

A list of starter planes and burst weights:

Peashooter
P26 A/33: 0.33kg/s
P26 A/34 M2: 0.7kg/s (it's got a .50 cal!)
P26 B/35: 0.33kg/s

Heinkel He-51
All variants: 0.39kg/s

I-15
All variants 0.48kg/s

Hawker Fury / Nimrod
All versions: 0.33kg/s

KI-10
All Variants: 0.33kg/s

The discrepancy isn't that bad - it's just one of the things that happens when you put historical stuff into a game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Grumio posted:

Wait until they add the H8K: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_H8K
5 20mm turrets? :getin:

And 5 7.7mm guns in various hatches.

I also kind of want to see the Short Sunderland in-game. 16 .303s and 2 .50cals.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Is there any sort of compiled information on the general strengths and weaknesses on the different types of planes? Perhaps with regards to how you're supposed to play them? It's all very confusing, I'm sorry if I missed some pertinent information in the OP, I read it to the best of my ability :v: I watched few of the videos from the Ramjb guy, but I'm not really sure when to do what and which plane is supposed to excel at what.

I felt like I was doing pretty good, but then got to level 3 in the german tree and with much anticipation and glee got into the MC200 S7, but I think I got a defective one. In every fight I've brought it out I get engine-fire or shot unconscious in what seems to be the very first bullet that is even close to hitting. I must be doing something wrong. I do much, much better with the rank 2 stuff and it seems to be the same planes I'm fighting as when I fly the rank 1-2 planes. Any hints? Other than just keep flying the level 2 stuff?

Also, what does the overall level mean? Is it useful for anything? Compared to the nation specific levels I mean?

Yeah, the m.c. 200 is pretty average. It's not really great at anything.

There's a list of what nations are good at what styles of fighting somewhere in this thread (or maybe the last thread) - it had "britain has good turnfighters, these planes are exceptions" and stuff like that.

In short:

British and Japanese fighters are usually turn and burn. Amercian and German fighters are usually boom and zoom. Russians are OK at both depending on which plane and what you're fighting against. There are exceptions in every tree except maybe Japan (someone will no doubt correct me, but my glorious nipponese airforce is only rank 8 because I kind of hate most of the planes in it except the third Zero and the H6K).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I do great with kb/m, as do most people since it's really really well set up. I've played with a (borrowed) joystick and also did pretty well once I got the hang of it and got everything configured properly (badly setup joysticks gently caress this game, and I assume that 90% of the "joysticks suck!" people haven't done any config stuff at all).

I can't get a good game with my 360 controller. I've spent probably 3-4 hours trying to tweak configs, and while I can take off / circuit / land very well, and even do aerobatics ok, I can't get my head around fighting with it.

I think the problem is that with a good joystick and good config, you can (and probably should) turn the instructor off. If you try that with the 360 controller, you run into several problems, especially with looking around. Also I find you need more fingers doing things at once that the controller can comfortably handle - you need:

Ailerons/elevator (left stick)

Free look (probably right stick),

Rudder (poo poo, um, triggers? Right stick would be good, but then looking around is hard)

Throttle (If you bind this to right stick with your rudder, poo poo gets weird really fast, so... shoulder buttons)

Guns / Rockets / Bombs (three of XYAB)

Target (other of XYAB)

Flaps (... d pad?)

Gear (... also d-pad?)

Now try to move the left stick and left trigger precisely, while also pressing right shoulder button, D-pad left, and A. That's to turn to your left while adjusting throttle, deploying flaps, and firing. Not an uncommon situation.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Gate posted:

I'd put freelook as one of your bumpers, since it's basically a "hold down to look around thing" and put "look at the enemy" as the other bumper I think. Maybe whichever one is rudder (right stick I guess) so that you can still roll and pitch while looking if you needed to. That way you get rudder control on the right left stick.

If I put rudder and throttle on a thumbstick, I either weave all over the sky trying to WEP or accidentally drop to 0 throttle trying to turn. It just flat-out doesn't work for me for whatever reason. If it did, I'd happily bind the look buttons to bumpers. My main point is that trying to pitch/roll/yaw and 2 other things at the same time is hellish on a controller. I'm pretty good with joystick and would probably use it in HB all the time if I actually owned one, but I can't be effective with the controller no matter what I do, and I've tried for a long time because I play most stuff with a controller if it supports it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

I got a TOG II for WoT and two Boomerangs for Warthunder out of my drunk-buying habit. I have nothing to regret.

I bought the first boomerang while I was drunk (look at its stumpy little wings!) and then I bought the second one, sober, two days later. My favorite plane. It murders everything with the matchmaking it gets, and it lets you do Hurricane II, Spitfire I, Havoc, Boomerang, Boomerang. If you need more than 3 of those planes in a game, something's wrong with you.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The basic defense for b/z is to turn into the attack, sort of "under" the diving plane, then either split-s if he's diving away or immelmann if he's climbing away, or just climb like hell away. It doesn't work that well in arcade mode.

Also, if you're as low and fast as possible, the attacker will need to make a level or low slashing attack, and will not be able to dive past you or away from you. Then you climb and try to get him in the vertical.

If you're in a plane that climbs well or maneuvers well in the vertical, you can do the turn in and split-s/immelmann thing even in arcade.

E: beaten while trying to phrase it really simply.

More edit: The split-s thing is a really good defense, but doesn't necessarily set you up for a good attack if he decides to climb away. The immelmann is a riskier thing that might set you up for an attack if you already have a lot of energy, but if you don't you're just going to be nearly stalling and absolutely hosed.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 19, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Here's a video showing how to do it. You probably want to ignore the first part where he's trying to climb into a guy who's outclimbing him - start watching at maybe 15 seconds, and the player turns under the dive, does a split-s, and hits the guy who's dumb enough to try to reverse his boom attack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmiSU_A33o

VVVVVV Mouse and keyboard in arcade mode. If you insist on using a joystick, make sure you're using a setting with no instructor.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Burno posted:

Yeah, I have the ps3eye and everything, but when it comes to the time to solder and build it or play video games, video games win.

Face tracking doesn't require solder or money (except for a supported webcam I guess, I got mine for $20 and it included a mic which I also didn't have).

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I play without lights on except for a desk lamp about 5 feet behind me. I had to tweak the settings in facetracknoir and adjust the contrast/brightness in my webcam to compensate. Also I had to place the camera below my monitor to get it to work reliably, but that's one of the first things it tells you to change.

It works fine. The only time it loses tracking is when I move forward/back too fast, but it does that when it's bright in here too.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

I will sound like a jerk, but for me it seems that you should learn to fly. Also, there is no hiding skill in this game, this is not World of Flying Tanks.

I will sound like a jerk, but http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Crew_Skills#Visibility

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Russian website defines first skill as of how far you see in your direct vision, and second skill is on how far you see outside of your FOV. And there is a specific note, that it does not affect the visibility of the machine itself.

Whatever you do, don't link to it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The official wiki article was written on 31 May this year. That official forums post is from 1 November last year.

I'm somewhat inclined to believe the more recent information, given that the game has seen several major changes in those 6 months.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Fair point. I guess I'll stick to what actual developers have on their board.

As opposed to what they have more recently written on their wiki?

OK then, I guess the economy works the same as it did last year too.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thief posted:

I would, but I still need a joystick :flaccid:

I'm gonna try borrowing an Xbox controller to see if it works in that mode.

I tried that. After a lot of loving around with settings, I could successfully take off and fly a circuit. I never managed to land. With a proper joystick it was much easier. I really need to get myself one because full-real battles look amazing and hilarious.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Today's" contest runs, in my time, from 1am to 5am on a Monday morning.

gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Omgz posted:

I know that feel bro. :australia:

On the upside, just got Australian Aviator II achievement. 500 kills in boomerangs :black101:

The last one was an airacobra, too. He ragequit with "gently caress off" when I said "haha, learn to scissors".

• Locked thread