Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just caught up on this after watching Neko- Black. Good to see that the series has gone far, far away from Nise-. That season was just depressingly shameful and its only redeeming factor was the art. This season has been great, though I'm not liking Nadeko's arc as much as the first two. However, last episode owned and the Shinobu uppercut before that owned.

e:

Super Jay Mann posted:

I must be the only person that liked Nise almost as much as Bake...

Then I must ask: What is your opinion on Gratuitous Toothbrushing?

If Bake- had the same production values as Nise- it would probably be one of my favorite shows ever. Unfortunately they dumped their money on an endless stream of creepy and occasionally pedophilic fanservice. But the art and directing was really amazing and is the only reason I ever made it through Nise-.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Strange is the goon who is bothered by tasteless fanservice yet watches the Monogatari series. But yeah you are, Nise was pretty inferior to Bake.

Butt Frosted Cake fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 9, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The core story was fine. But it had a terrible pacing, and they spent half the time reintroducing the harem, they resolved both arcs by the main villain going "fine fine I'll just leave it's no biggie", and did we really need some of that fanservice?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The real problem with Nise is that every frame they wasted on naked imoutos and toothbrushing is a frame that could have had Shinobu or Senjougahara talking.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Having never seen this show before, I googled the "Toothbrush Scene" out of curiosity, and was inspired to create a short AMV. I present it here for you, my dear ADTRW comrades, in vain hope that it diverts you with a bit of amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKgwB7d1IEU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

DrSunshine does a thing.

:catstare: You are a very funny person, Doc.

Didn't Nisio basically admitted that he was coerced into publishing Nisemonogatari since he was basically writing fanfic-level tripe about his own characters (You know, just like he did on that xxxHolic novel)? While there were parts in Nise that were good/interesting(almost all interactions that Araragi has with pretty much any other character outside of the middle-school trio), I'm honestly kinda pissed that they decided to leave Kizu for later. Goddammit, Shinbo/Shaft/Kodansha!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's my favourite video on the Internet tonight.

As for Nisio's comments on Nise, well. The thing is, most of the few light novels I've ever found translated have had similar after-words. Light novels are not exactly the pinnacle of literature (they're often published serialized in magazines) and I've understood it's kind of poor form to show too much pride in one's work. So, many authors will add something to the effect of "thanks for reading my rambling turd of a novel" to the end of a book to keep up appearances, even if the novel turned out a bestseller.

Still, judging by the anime, Nise certainly did come off as something that was never actually meant to be published. So maybe this time Nisio was telling the truth!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wark Say posted:

:catstare: You are a very funny person, Doc.

Didn't Nisio basically admitted that he was coerced into publishing Nisemonogatari since he was basically writing fanfic-level tripe about his own characters (You know, just like he did on that xxxHolic novel)? While there were parts in Nise that were good/interesting(almost all interactions that Araragi has with pretty much any other character outside of the middle-school trio), I'm honestly kinda pissed that they decided to leave Kizu for later. Goddammit, Shinbo/Shaft/Kodansha!

I'm pretty sure he said the same thing about the first and third Monogatari books too.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Phobophilia posted:

...they resolved both arcs by the main villain going "fine fine I'll just leave it's no biggie"...

Kaiki no conning! Kaiki no conning! Kaiki NO conning! :mad:

Oh Maaaaaan.:smugjones:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So, in episode 15/Otori 4 we learn that Nadeko is so good at twisting the situation and playing the victim and garnering sympathy that she's been doing it to herself and, by extension, us, the whole time. :stare:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay, this development is slightly harder to square as a metaphor for adolescence.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:stare: Holy. gently caress.

I think this episode just solidified Nadeko Snake as the best arc yet.

Clarste posted:

Okay, this development is slightly harder to square as a metaphor for adolescence.

No, it's more of a straightforward exploration of denial and self delusion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ViggyNash posted:

I did say slightly. I think the fact that she literally became a god makes it a bit weird though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

:stare: Holy. gently caress.

I think this episode just solidified Nadeko Snake as the best arc yet.

So, she's a self obsessed oval office whose coping mechanism is to basically deny that poo poo happens for a reason and, in most cases, she only has herself to blame? And an aberration basically causes her to become deified?

Perfectly understandable behavior for a teenager!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wark Say posted:

So, she's a self obsessed oval office whose coping mechanism is to basically deny that poo poo happens for a reason and, in most cases, she only has herself to blame? And an aberration basically causes her to become deified?

Probably the same thing as Hanekawa in the end. They became sufficiently unbalanced to create the potential for an aberration to form. Shinobu being in town provided sufficient ambient dark energies to turn that potential into something more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

This is also the same world where a super vampire turned everyone into vampire zombies and being a really nice person turns you into a lingerie cat woman that wants to beat the poo poo out of things.

Within the context of the story, it makes perfect sense. She consumes a talisman that is actually a cage for a powerful being and therefore her body becomes that being's host.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder if we're going to timeskip ahead to wrap this arc up before going back for the rest of the series, or whether we'll come back to it after the other arcs. Or if Senjougahara was lying and they show up the following day.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Sindai posted:

I wonder if we're going to timeskip ahead to wrap this arc up before going back for the rest of the series, or whether we'll come back to it after the other arcs. Or if Senjougahara was lying and they show up the following day.

Did you not watch the bit after the credits?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Amstrad posted:

Did you not watch the bit after the credits?

This is Nisio Isin we're talking about. I'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that that "preview" is about as genuine as your average crack pairing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It sounds like someone needs to watch Katanagatari. :ssh:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 13, 2013

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
What the gently caress.

That was something. I'm pretty sure thats the end of this arc, but jeez I really don't want any of that to happen. Nadeko as a god is the worst possible "resolution" to this, and everyone dying doesn't seem too far-fetched (though there are books after second season, so I doubt Araragi and Shinobu will die). Tears will be shed if Senjou dies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's a clever trick of the unreliably narrator, she recounts the events in a sympathetic light, but really she's been lying to herself and the audience.

And just who are you, Oshino Ougi, and why are you instigating aberrations everywhere?

(I like gg's term aberration over commie's oddity and daisuki's apparition).

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 13, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't know what just happened but it seems like something awesome.

Don't know if they jump ahead or if they have more adventures in the meantime with Crazy Sengoku to occasionally pal around with, slight preference for the latter. As I want Crazy God Sengoku to stick around, like I think Black Hanekawa does?

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That's a clever trick of the unreliably narrator, she recounts the events in a sympathetic light, but really she's been lying to herself and the audience.

And just who are you, Oshino Ougi, and why are you instigating aberrations everywhere?

(I like gg's term aberration over commie's oddity and daisuki's apparition).

Oh yeah, Ougi. Ougi is really interesting and crazy. She's starting poo poo, and I don't like it. I feel like her job isn't done yet, and theres no way that a timeskip is going to happen (it said "No timeskip. Sorry"). In the "preview," Shinobu looked pretty grown up. I'd imagine that they're really going to wait half a year and she'll age for some reason.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Naw, she just drains some of Araragi's blood, and suddenly they both power up.

Makes like zero sense to me, where are they getting the energy from. Then again, I know nothing about Kizu.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ougi is written 扇 which means "(folding) fan", and is the character used in the word 扇ぐ (aogu) meaning "to fan (the flames)" and can be interpreted as "to incite/instigate". So, uh.

i300 posted:

Oh yeah, Ougi. Ougi is really interesting and crazy. She's starting poo poo, and I don't like it. I feel like her job isn't done yet, and theres no way that a timeskip is going to happen (it said "No timeskip. Sorry"). In the "preview," Shinobu looked pretty grown up. I'd imagine that they're really going to wait half a year and she'll age for some reason.

This should have been established much earlier, when they stalk living Hachikuji in Kabukimonogatari (and is made super clear back in Kizumonogatari), but Shinobu doesn't "age". Her visual "age" reflects her current power levels, so if she sucks enough Koyomi blood she looks older because she's grown that much more powerful.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

i300 posted:

The more Shinobu drinks Araragi's blood, the closer she gets to her former appearance. She had the same appearance in Nise when she and Araragi went up against Kagenui and Ononoki.

Seeing Sengoku's delusions reach some serious grandeur was entertaining, but Senjougahara laying down the business was the highlight of this episode for me.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 13, 2013

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder. I should've been able to infer that from her normal state to how she is now. It seems poo poo is going to be going down, as expected.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Very slight light novel spoiler about the timeline and resolution to this:

The last book that will be animated this season (Koimonogatari) wraps up the Nadeko storyline, among other things.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I like the cut of Ougi's jib so I'm glad it looks like she'll play a bigger role in the future.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Bakemonogatari. What the gently caress are you doing, holy poo poo :catstare:

It's hard not to take this whole season as a big sweeping gently caress you to moe harem nonsense when the most moe character of all deludes herself into becoming a murderous snake god because she doesn't "win".

"I bet he'd keep getting girlfriends and lovers as long as he's alive" Oh man, that line. When the talking snake you made up in your head thinks your nuts, that's pretty nuts. Yandere Nadeko is way more interesting than regular Nadeko, I hope she sticks around.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I wish Crunchyroll would get their releases faster, Daisuki's stream quaility is horrible.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm glad that this season confirms that Senjougahara is the best, even outside of Araragi's viewpoint. Things change depending on who's the narrator -- Hanekawa and Sengoku both see Araragi as gallant and heroic, Sengoku sees Shinobu as a complete jerk, there's differences in the way the world and uninvolved characters are portrayed... But Senjougahara is exactly the same. :allears:

Einander fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 13, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

I'm glad that this season confirms that Senjougahara is the best, even outside of Araragi's viewpoint. Things change depending on who's the narrator -- Hanekawa and Sengoku both see Araragi as gallant and heroic, Sengoku sees Shinobu as a complete jerk, there's differences in the way the world and uninvolved characters are portrayed... But Senjougahara is exactly the same. :allears:

The super caring Senjougahara we saw in the Neko- White arc was kinda baffling to me. She spoke with the same dry, sharp tone, but her personality was completely different. And then we hear her talk with Nadeko and she's right back to the badass we met her as.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

ViggyNash posted:

The super caring Senjougahara we saw in the Neko- White arc was kinda baffling to me. She spoke with the same dry, sharp tone, but her personality was completely different. And then we hear her talk with Nadeko and she's right back to the badass we met her as.

I dunno. That incident at the start struck me as the first time she was that worried about anyone, because part of the point of Hanekawa's abnormality (as a person, not as an oddity, though I guess the two are basically the same) was that she 1) could do just about anything if she wanted to and 2) she didn't think like normal people do. Hanekawa disappearing and not having a home to go to is actually cause for being really really worried because she's as likely to do very dangerous or really ridiculous things as she is to do the reasonable (as exhibited by staying in an abandoned, condemned building instead of, say, asking someone for help).

The Kanbaru thing? She figured out what was going to happen ahead of time and knew exactly what to do. Araragi and her issues with intimacy and emotion? She's doing her best not to show weakness. Going off and looking for Tsubasa? Again, she probably knew what was going to happen (and was a little too confident in how far her "I'll kill them and then you" could motivate him). Kaiki showing up? She knows what to do about that! (Too bad Araragi's "my sisters are in danger" overrides his "I don't want to upset her"!) Tsubasa vanishing? Where the hell is that crazy girl, what dumb thing is she doing now

(Also because, on some level, I think she processed that freaking the hell out, and showing it, was one of the ways she could actually get through to Hanekawa. She is absurdly competent.)

Edit: Plus, some of the stuff after that in early Neko White comes off as her being kind of insecure about herself compared to the competition and doing her best to overcome it through seizing the initiative and keeping control of the situation. The shower thing, for instance. Hanekawa's just not very good at noticing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I find it's very difficult to pull off the Unreliable Narrator without seeming forced or unfair to the reader, but when it's done right like it is here the results can be amazing :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

My favorite part:

Shinobu: Heh, you suck.
Nadeko: :ese:
Shinobu, a while later: Not dead yet, you still suck.
Nadeko: :ese::ese:
Shinobu: That's all you got?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

My favorite part:

Shinobu: Heh, you suck.
Shinobu, a while later: Not dead yet, you still suck.
Nadeko: :ese::ese:
Shinobu: That's all you got?

I found that far more disturbing than amusing. To me it was more proof of how broken Nadeko is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
That was insane. I have no idea how this is going to end up, and I can't wait for the conclusion.

• Locked thread