Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ep 7: poo poo, I was having such a good time until that fuckwit Manabu showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Raws for chapter 91 are out. You can probably find 'em at the usual suspects.

Angela speaks enough English during the few key pages that everyone should be able to figure out what's going on, and man is it an awesome chapter. It ends with Madarame breaking his wrist again, his other (left) one this time in a great callback to Vol 2 (he's even wearing the same jacket), among many other amusing things.

edit: Oh AnonSpore, are you the same AnonSpore that had been translating but then got shot down by the C&D?

sincx fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 24, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought this thread was for the anime (which I have admittedly not been keeping up on, due to various stuff including attending the real-life version of Comifes) but yes, this month's manga chapter was great, and the character who appears on the last page is guaranteed to make the next one even better. :allears:

sincx, yes, I am that AnonSpore. Small world, eh?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Yes, this thread is for the anime. Some have been a little light handed with future manga spoilers as well, but I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read the manga is actually watching this so *shrug*

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

^^^^^
Okay, in any case, please let me know if you prefer a separate thread created for the on-going manga. If I make that thread, I'll try to include a comprehensive op that covers all the manga volumes and the earlier seasons of the anime.

I can also take a crack at providing comprehensive, page-by-page text only English summaries of the untranslated manga chapters (89 and 90 for now) if there's enough interest. Disclaimer: I'll be working from pages that have already been translated once (into Chinese), and these will be fair-use summaries, not complete translations, so it's not going to be remotely as good as AnonSpore's scanslations. But it should be better than nothing! Let me know.

And AnonSpore, I think you're probably one of the two premier providers of English-language Genshiken-related discourse (the other being, of course, Ogiuemaniax), so we're all in the presence of greatness here.

Madarame-esq rant follows:

I actually don't read much anime or manga, but Genshiken has always had a special place in my heart because I felt it was a fairly realistic potrayl of geek culture, and provided an unique look at life as a nerd in another country.

But after thinking about chapter 91, Genshiken Nidaime has really moved away from that. Don't get me wrong, I still like Genshiken--it's interesting, intelligent, and funny.

However, everything that happened in the old Genshiken was at least within the realm of possibility, where as the new series, with the Madarame harem, is completely unbelievable. If I hadn't read Genshiken from the very beginning, I'd probably have dismissed Genshiken Nidaime as yet another ridiculous otaku harem fantasy where an ultra-nerd is getting chased inexplicably by a bunch of cute girls/"girl".

The series really lost something when Kio decided to make it more "out there." Part of me wonders if things should have ended at chapter 81, after Madarame's confession.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^I think a manga thread would be awesome, if you're game. Ogiuemaniax does great summaries, but I'm always game for extra info on these new chapters. Anything to tide me over until the physical volumes are released.

On your spoilers: I would say it strains plausibility but not possibility, especially since the character at the center of it all has matured so much. Plus, the people expressing interest in said character are the kind of people I have seen go for that type in the Western fandom, just not usually all at once. Usually.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Ultraklystron posted:

^^I think a manga thread would be awesome, if you're game. Ogiuemaniax does great summaries, but I'm always game for extra info on these new chapters. Anything to tide me over until the physical volumes are released.

On your spoilers: I would say it strains plausibility but not possibility, especially since the character at the center of it all has matured so much. Plus, the people expressing interest in said character are the kind of people I have seen go for that type in the Western fandom, just not usually all at once. Usually.

Well, on further consideration, Genshiken is niche enough that we probably shouldn't divide up the threads. There's probably like 20 people total who's reading/watching this on SA. Also, there's an ADTRW rule against multiple threads for the same series.

So let's just keep manga discussion here, using the spoiler tag liberally whenever necessary.

But I went ahead and produced this comprehensive, page-by-page text-only English-language summary of manga chapter 89. While I believe this is the first detailed English summary of this chapter, my summary is not meant to be a translation, and is probably missing quite a bit of the subtle humor and references, so please understand my limited skills, and any suggestions and corrections by AnonSpore is going to be right.

Zorak: I read everything and I don't believe this is violates any forum rules, but if you feel this is inappropriate for any reason, please let me know.

Legend

Character Name
Normal dialogue in speech bubble
Cursive dialogue in speech bubble
(Dialogue in thought bubble)
[Text directly on page, not in bubble]

Genshiken Chapter 89 - Comprehensive English Summary
(For less-annoying reading, copy and paste into Word.)

Page 1
Yoshitake
So now that Hato “quit BL,” you went ahead and secretly bought his favorite doujins for him, didn’t you?!
Hah, you’re speechless now.
Fess up already.

Page 2
Yoshitake
You like Hato-chan, don’t you?

Page 3
Yajima
What? What are you talking about?
What makes you think that?

Yoshitake
Sigh…

Yajima
Hato got me hooked on Dorarara recently, so I decided to buy some Dorarara doujinshi.
If Hato wants to borrow them of course he can.

Yoshitake
So that’s it?

Yajima
Eh? Do you want to borrow them too?

Yoshitake
Err… no, that’s okay.
(Hum, this is strange. She got so defensive all of a sudden.)

Page 4
Yajima
Honestly, I really don’t like that guy!
Always flip-flopping.
Just decide already whether you want to be a guy or girl.

Page 5
Yajima
Why are you smiling?

Yoshitake
No reason, hehe…
(You only hate him because you love him, right? Yajimacchi)
It’s okay now.

Yajima
Come to think of it…
Hato’s giving up crossdressing because he likes Madarame-sempai, right?

Yoshitake
(Whoa)
[She brought up romance this time]

Page 6
Yoshitake
You’re probably right. Hato’s decisively giving up on crossdressing before he falls even more in love with Madarame.
He’s retreating in the heat of battle

Kuchiki - [I can’t hold it anymore. I’m going to the bathroom. Take my seat, Hato-kun!]
Madarame - [Are you really going to the bathroom?]
Hato - [Okay.]

Yajima
That sounds right, but---
Guy on Guy—isn’t this even more like a BL scenario?

Madarame - [Go ahead, we’ll save your spot]
Hato - [Thanks!]

Yoshitake
That’s why he also quit BL, right?

Yajima
Huh, right.

Yoshitake
Also, he’s said before that he can view himself more objectively when he’s crossdressing. Does that mean he’s seeing a lot of Hato x Mada when he does that? [NB: not sure about this part]

Yajima
drat this is complicated.

Page 7
Yoshitake
Well, the most important thing right now is that Hato-chan is fighting with his selves. Don’t you think so?

Page 8
Kuchiki
[Hato-kun isn’t enjoying this Comifes at all.]
[No wonder. Giving up his interests must be a deep blow to his being.]
[It’s time for me to step up]

Page 9
Kuchiki
[And help you!]

Page 10
Hato
What… are you doing?

Kuchiki
What am I doing? You’re asking me what I’m doing?
You have no reaction to what you’re seeing right now?
Hato-san, is your love for BL really this shallow?
In the world of Otaku, the actions of one person…

Page 11
Kuchiki
Can sometimes threaten the social standing of the entire otaku community. This sort of thing has happened before.
It’s true that, recently, the image of otaku in society has gotten better. But the media still ostracize us as awkward outcasts.
Under these circumstances, it’s true that crossdressing has its dangers…

Page 12
Kuchiki
However, there is nothing wrong with enjoying BL!!!
Fudanshi have never caused anyone else trouble!
What I’m doing now is causing Madarame-sempai some discomfort.

Madarame - [Nods furiously]

Kuchiki
But sempai doesn’t mind little things like this!

Madarame
Hey, what the hell?

Kuchiki
The real problem is that you aren’t enjoying yourself at Comifes.
This shouldn’t happen!
Okay…

Page 13
Kuchiki
Get up right now, and go to the section that sells doujinshi for girls right now!
“Go”! [NB: Go is in English]

Page 14
Hato
Thank you Kuchiki-sempai. You reminded me of a lot of things. But…
[If I keep reading BL, my sexual orientation is going to change…]
[I’m going to fall in love with Madarame-sempai]
[Madarame-sempai…]
[NB: No thought bubbles here, but it’s clear he’s thinking these lines and not saying them]

Page 15
Hato
[Kaminaga - It’s not that I like guys…]
[Kaminaga - I only like you!]
[That’s what she said]
(Yes, it’s actually quite simple, isn’t it.)
(There’s only one person that makes me feel this way, Madarame-sempai.)

Page 16
Hato
[I need to completely give up on Madarame-sempai, otherwise there’s no point.]
[Therefore…]

Page 17
Hato
Sempai,
Can I ask something of you?

Yoshitake
You’re like a broken record.

Yajima
Don’t say anything unnecessary to Hato, okay?

Yoshitake
You’re talking a lot, but at the end you still can’t drop Hato from your mind!

Yajima
That’s not true!

Page 18
Yajima
Stop talking about this, okay?

Yoshitake
Hey everyone’s over there!

Hato
Angela-san

Page 19
Hato
Can you go out with Madarame-sempai?

Page 20
Madarame
Eh? You want me to go out with Angela? Why?

Hato
Since you’re such a sou uke, Madarame-sempai, then if you can actually get a girlfriend…
The Genshiken won’t have BL thoughts about you anymore.
This way you won’t be troubled any longer. And I’ll limit myself to 2-dimensional BL from now on.

Kuchiki
Great idea.
It’s about time we stopped the Madarame harem plot line!
It’s my harem, not yours, you traitor

Madarame
I told you, how is a 3D harem even possible?

Kuchiki
There’s tons of harems in light novels. The protagonist pretends he doesn’t know what’s going on, but he knows everything. This is your plan right?

Hato
Plus, as Kasukabe-sempai said…

Page 21
Kasukabe flashback, chapter 78 page 16
“...Dummy. Even if she wasn’t totally your type,
You could still have taken the chance she presented to you and tried going out with her.
Who knows, it could’ve led to you changing your outlook on life, right?”
[NB: argh, the original translation is so much better than what my summary would’ve been]

Page 22
Angela
…It seems like a lot has happened while I wasn’t here.
Although it’s a very good suggestion…
Hum…

Page 23
Angela
What should I do?
Sue’s not here…

[At this time, Ogi and Sue are still inside]
[Sue suddenly felt a chill on her back]

Ogiue – [Ahh, everyone’s packing up…]

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Hey AnonSpore, since we're on the topic of raws, I had a question about Spotted Flower and thought maybe you'd know. Do you have any idea if chapter 9 is scanned & online anywhere yet? As near as I can tell, Rakuen Le Paradis #12 has been out for quite a while and had a new chapter in it, but I couldn't find raws for it anywhere.

Hope it doesn't come off like I'm bugging you - just wondering if chp9 is even out. Much appreciation for all the translations you did! Maybe I'll just order a copy of the book, it's only like $9...

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
@sincx - Nice summary. It's interesting to see Kuchiki get some development through this chapter as well. His reasons for cheering up Hato and for getting Madarame to hook with Angela are a bit self-centered ultimately, but it's still showing a more thoughtful side of what is otherwise a rather one note character. It's a rather clever piece of development.

Regarding episode 8: The cold open this time was almost too long, but it did set things up well otherwise. I also enjoyed the subtle fact that Yoshitake's drinking a beer in the cold open since we now know she's actually 20. After this point, I have to say it really handles these chapters of the manga quite well, though the scene with Mada waking in on Hato changing seemed much more amped up in animated form. On the other hand, it better sets up some of the later plot points they may adapt from the manga, since if Hato is having fantasies that instant and explicit regarding Mada walking in on him, Hato's sudden moves on Mada in the club room in chapter 85 seem less surprising. He really kind of falling for Madarame, and he's with in right to panic. The dating sim elements used in the fall out from that scene were rather clever as well, though it felt a little un-Genshiken to break the fourth wall like that too. I suppose it's made up for the visual story telling in the next scene with Hato's stand appearing inspite of Hato's crossdressing - it's like Madarame loosening his tie suddenly crossed a critical line. All in all though, it's another very good and very funny yet touching adaptation of the source material. I think IG could bail the rest of the adaptation and I'd still buy it at this point.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 26, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Amstrad posted:

but I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read the manga is actually watching this so *shrug*

I am. So there you go.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Amstrad posted:

Yes, this thread is for the anime. Some have been a little light handed with future manga spoilers as well, but I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read the manga is actually watching this so *shrug*

The Black Stones posted:

I am. So there you go.
For what it's worth, ditto. I didn't even know this thing existed until I watched the first episode a few weeks ago.

I do find it interesting. I've never participated in any of the anime cultural activities like going to a con or such, so I am interested in seeing how things work for these rabid fans. The fact that they're not your "average" anime fan is even more interesting -- with Hato taking the cake. I don't know if Angela is legitimately interested in Mada or not. If not, then she's a real piece of poo poo-work.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^^^
Angela's interest is a bit of a retcon, so in that meta-context of the work, it seems more likely to be authentic than not, especially since it's also part of the author assembling this harem situation for Mada. Also, as someone who has been in the cultural side of anime, surprisingly weird tastes aren't uncommon. For every visually expected couple I've seen in otakudom, I've also seen surprises that are based purely on unexpected tastes and shared hobbies. I've seen Angela/Mada-like couples at cons, so why not in fiction? In fact, in Genshiken itself there is Ohno (who is obviously meant to be viewed as rather attractive) and Tanaka (who while not as hardcore as Mada at peak force, is still presented as best plain if not heavily otaku.) Only difference here is Mada is less perceptive, more timid and is faced with more choices.

There may also be a secondary message in this to otaku who identify with Mada. Specifically, just because Mada didn't get the girl he wanted, doesn't mean there aren't people interested in him, if he can open his eyes. It fits thematically with general message of Genshiken as well: self-acceptance leads to self-actualization. Mada's gotta realize that as weird as he is, he is more than worthy of love, and he has options. That may fit with a decent portion of the readership of Genshiken too.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 27, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Amstrad posted:

I would assume most people watching it haven't read it, myself included. I think I'm going to stop reading this thread.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^^^
If it's gonna drive people from this already quiet thread, I'm cool with keeping manga spoilers in spoiler tags with a note that they are from the manga just to make sure. Thoughts?

That said, episode 9 dropped. Episode 9 spoilers: I'm surprised they kept as much of the process behind making the club's magazine as they did. I would've figured they'd abbreviate that a little more so that they could get more of the festival in this episode, but I guess they're splitting up. That said, it was great to keep in the stuff from the cold open - it's a reminder of the history of the Genshiken, and it keeps it from being too Hato-centric. It's also cute and heartwarming to see Sasahara try and take on some aspects of Ogiue's vision of him. It's an awkward love between them, but it's love for sure in those moments. Meanwhile, Ogiue's reaction to seeing adult fanart of her characters and Hato's auto-BL drawing of the two jerks from the club committee were really quite funny. On the prior part, I have to wonder if some of that was reflective of Kio's own experience seeing the first Genshiken doujinshi. Shock, with interest nonetheless.

Once the festival kicks off, Sue's constant demanding of food from the ex-manga club members was cute, though just as cute were the ex-manga-club members booking it while Sue waited expectantly for another bite of food. Everyone's high school friends turning up was an interesting touch, because it's acknowledgement of how much has changed since Sasahara and Ogiue were in High School. Even unrepentant fujoshi like Yoshitake can find a clique of like-minded individuals to be friends with. Just as tellingly, Hato seems to rue meeting his old classmates which suggests that while otaku and fujoshi have found their space with in society, fudanshi and otokonoko really haven't. This is all the more reason this season had to center on someone like him. Also, it figures that it's Kuchiki who blows his cover. Kuchiki exists in that universe to mess things up most of the time. It'd be thin characterization if wasn't so plausible.

Manga spoilers relating to this episode that go up past chapter 86:
They left on a huge cliffhanger this time. However, I think they're gonna do that again though, because unless they were carefully trying to keep the Mada/Saki confession out of the preview, that's gonna end up being episode 11. Possibly with Hato looking around the campus for Mada in the cold open just like in the start of chapter 80.

If so, it leaves the show almost perfectly sets up to end on the worst cliffhanger of the series, namely Hato's breakdown in chapter 86. The last shot of the show may be Hato in men's clothing in the Genshiken or Yajima reacting to that scene. It's a seemingly negative note to end on, but it's at least a defined note with a fantastic set of moments leading into it. No other part of the manga that's just after the Mada/Saki confession has as strong an emotion to end on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just like the original series, they may finish up anything not done in the season with an OVA or something. That way any potential cliffhangers can get resolved in a relatively more timely manner like OreImo did.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Xelkelvos posted:

Just like the original series, they may finish up anything not done in the season with an OVA or something. That way any potential cliffhangers can get resolved in a relatively more timely manner like OreImo did.

True, the OVAs could buy them extra time, but the general consensus seems to be that the two OVAs we're getting will cover the missing material in between the old TV series and Nidaime. That might just be wishful thinking on the part of the old line fans, but it also makes a lot of sense cause it'd get some the original fans who bailed because of the fujoshi stuff to at least consider the BDs/DVDs.

Additionally, (manga spoilers) you'd need way more than two episodes to clear the air if they end the broadcast with Hato's breakdown, and those episodes would take us right into where manga is right now in winter comiket arc. Plus, it's unclear how that arc will end. Hato's attempt to get Mada and Angela underway may force the hands of all girls in contention for Mada, and might even force Hato to come clean too. With so much that could happen from that point, it really feels like the makings of a second season to me rather than something for a few OVAs.

Basically, even if the OVAs covered new stuff rather than prequel material, they will probably still leave off with Hato turning up to the Genshiken in men's clothing, if only because there isn't another full storyline to animate yet.

EDIT - Chapter 90 just materialized in English, along with some big spoilers for 91:
Well, it looks like Madarame will know about all of the crushes before all is said and done in this arc. It's definitely straining plausibility, but at the same time, it offsets the slower pace. Basically, if each multi-chapter arc is going to have revelations of this scale by the end of it, it's a fine balance against stretching out comiket over half-a-year. Plus, it's an impossible scenario; eventually Mada was going to know who all had an interest in him one way or the other. This at least keeps the manga from being even slower with a series of chapters for each revelation...

Wait, that's what Kio's been doing already. Gah, it all makes sense now! Angela made a move, Keiko made some very subtle moves, Sue made a move and Hato came dangerously close to making a move. Shoot, Kio is crafty. Hato's trap stuff was mostly a distraction in setting up the Mada harem. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 4, 2013

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

*Bump*

Episode 11 was great, although I think the emotional impact just isn't the same if you haven't been watching/reading Genshiken from the beginning. To see what's happened to Madarame over the last 5 years, to see his maniac, aggressively otaku rants replaced by bitter yet thoughtful tears, to see his torch light up and blow out... drat Kio is a good story-teller. He's definitely playing the long game with his readers.

Also, in manga-related news, chapters 89-91 are now translated.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I really am enjoying season 2. I don't get the hate. Then again as a trans lady I really enjoy Hato's struggles.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^^I think as it's been animated, there's been a shift in opinion on Nidaime. It's either finding it's audience and drowning out the negativity, and/or the haters are being won over since the anime has really helped certain scenes with the direction and music.

I mean, Episode 11 definitely holds even more weight if you've been following Genshiken from the start, but the music and direction alone really sold the emotion of the key scenes. It was really touching to see it animated, and it really makes me hope we get a second season so (manga spoiler)we can see Madarame finally recognize his new found harem. I also have to say that (anime spoiler)that Saki suddenly crying and revealing at that point she'd been trying to not let on was kind of mean was a great bit of character development, and it made a lot of sense. The little call out to Spotted Flower in this episode was cute and nicely meta as well.

On the manga chapters that were just translated Kio's setup a lot of interesting possibilities for the next year of Nidaime, and it's rather interesting to see how he's really lined up Mada as the central character while telling this story largely through Hato's experiences and feelings, much in the way Sasahara was used to focus on Ogiue, whose backstory Kio obfuscated until the last moment. Seeing Yajima call out Hato on trying force Mada into something with Angela was great development for both characters as well. In general, I think Kio has moved to showing rather than telling for as many characters in Nidaime as possible, and while it means some of the actions come of the blue since we don't get an internal "I think I like him"-dialogue from every person interested in some one, it's more compelling to have those sudden revelations. Seeing how Mada copes with this whole Hato/Sue/Angela/Keiko harem will be interesting, and will probably heavily foreshadow anything that happens with Hato once this Mada harem arc resolves.

As far as the next episode goes, it looks like they will actually wrap it by burning off the rest of the festival arc, which is probably the happiest place to end it. That said, it'll be interesting to see if OVA episodes cover the missing material from the end of the old manga, or if they try to cover (manga spoilers)Hato's attempted Mada-kiss and subsequent breakdown and rejection of BL and crossdressing instead.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

I feel like this should be an anime club recruiting poster.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Professor Irony posted:

I feel like this should be an anime club recruiting poster.

Hah, that scene is probably a deliberate reference to the classic Madarame 2D-complex rant:

And it's actually quite an important scene, not just a nice easter egg for us fans of the old Genshiken.

First, you can see how much Madarame has changed. Even though what he's saying is pretty much the same, the subtext is very different, as the screenshots reveal:
  • He's better dressed and now combs his hair, thanks to Saki's fashion advice.
  • He's no longer ghastly skinny.
  • His rants are no longer aggressive defenses of his personality.
  • Instead, they're almost self-mocking. You can tell by his smirk and his blushing cheeks. He knows he's said the same thing before to Saki before and he's almost trying to remind her of that moment.
  • edit: How could I forget the most important difference? He actually DOES have "regular ones" now--those cosplay pics of Saki herself, unlike before. It all adds up to show how much Saki has changed him.

Why might he be trying to remind her of that moment? Why might the author trying to remind us of that moment? Well, in the original series, this is the first extended interaction between Saki and Madarame we see. Also, right after Madarame's original rant, Kousaka walks in, and Madarame tells him to hurry up and confess to Saki. Kousaka does so, Saki accepts, those two share a long kiss in front of everyone, especially a flustered Madarame, and then the two lovebirds leave. Madarame probably started liking Saki from this moment, even though he doesn't realize it until later. Saki doesn't realize until the cat ears incident, and Madarame doesn't consciously realize until a year later, but it started from then.

So the author is recalling the entire arc of the Madarame/Saki story from this one seemingly unrelated scene. Kio is brilliant and he's playing the long con with his readers.

edit 2: I'll leave this here.

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 16, 2013

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Wow. Having not seen the original anime in quite a long time, I'm actually shocked at how poor the art looks now, compared to the manga and the new series.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Wow, ep 11 was great. Almost made sitting through all of the Hato bullshit worth it.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
IG pulled off a nice fake out by very strictly adapting the manga until the two minutes. Episode 12 spoilers that don't tie to the manga: Mada's face upon hearing Hato's de-facto confession and realizing what Saki was getting at about the harem route ending was adorably awkward. The slight tension in the last shot of his hands spells out "is this okay?" wordlessly.

Otherwise, there were a lot of other visual touches that really worked better here than in the manga. It's a lot clearer in the anime (anime spoilers and spoilers for the original manga) that when Mada has quit his job, he's not only wearing the exact same kind of clothes he used to before Saki took him out shopping - that straight up Akihabara otaku look - but his face is more gaunt again and his body language is generally depressive and less together. He's slouching, his shirt is untucked and the clothes themselves are hanging differently on his body. To drive the point home, it's a look that is explicit contrast to Hato's flashbacks of Mada in the next scene. IG really worked some subtle details in on this episode.

That said, I hope the OVA episodes/episode 13(?) handle the cliffhanger it leaves off on (not that that the trailer makes it look like that's happening,) or that BD release picks up enough stream to get it a second season down the road that manages to return to strictly following the manga. Though, it'll take so long before there's enough stuff for a second season that may international response will have a hand in pushing for more of it. I'd complain about the fact it looks like we are getting an anime original ending, except that so far, it seems like it'll a rather satisfying bit of denouement.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 22, 2013

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Much as I'm not hugely interested in Ohno as a character, I thought it was kind of a shame that her particular dilemma seemed to rate so little screentime in ep12. I know there's a lot to be said for lightness of touch, but I keep feeling the Nidaime anime lacks any dramatic punch - for the most part, any issues the characters encounter seem to be resolved without much trouble.

Madarame's storyline fares better than most in that regard (him being unemployed again was pretty :smith:), but I'd have liked to see Hato plumb the depths a bit more in particular, given the amount of screentime given over to him/her.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

I do wonder why they're deviating from the manga so much. It sort of ends up being the same thing, just a little faster. Maybe it's like the original Season 2 vs the manga. The original Season 2 ended with Sasahara and Ogiue further along (Sasahara calling Ogiue as soon as he landed his job and Ogiue getting out of the shower to answer the call) than the manga (Sasa told Ogi the next time they saw each other in the club room), probably so the anime ending is a little more tied up. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they end things next week.

edit: haha, Spotted Flower Ch. 9 is out. So cruel, Kio, so cruel.

edit 2: vvvvvvvvvvv I think the guy in spotted flower is 90% mada and 10% sasa, and the girl is 70% saki and 30% ogi. you can tell it's not actually saki by the hair and face shape.

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 25, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

edit: haha, Spotted Flower Ch. 9 is out. So cruel, Kio, so cruel.

Just took a look at this after the longest time. The early stages really do feel like Madarame and Saki, but somehow it's more like Ogiue's personality with Saki's background.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I personally lean towards it being Mada and Saki, but either way, even with it's incredibly telegraphed punch line, this most recent chapter of Spotted Flower was outstandingly hilarious to me. Seriously, I laughed for a good minute or two.

As far as the sudden deviation is concerned, I have to think it's to give it a more positive end than the straight adaptation would. The next several chapters after that point are either cliffhangers or non-endings, and that seems too harsh for Genshiken. That, or they are going to have a TV end and an OVA end as is the fashion. Seems meta enough for this show.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Manga chapter 92 raws are out.

Argh, I was afraid that Genshiken Nidaime was going to head this way. The first ~8 volumes of Genshiken is quite a masterpiece on how interesting, charming, and thought-provoking a more-or-less realistic slice-of-life manga can be. Nothing unbelievable, nothing illogical, and no unnecessary filler episodes or plot delays. Minimal fan service.

But now, with Madarame's harem (even if done ironically) and a combo hot baths/festival chapter, Nidaime is on its way to becoming just like every other seinen manga.

Sigh.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

sincx posted:

Manga chapter 92 raws are out.

Argh, I was afraid that Genshiken Nidaime was going to head this way. The first ~8 volumes of Genshiken is quite a masterpiece on how interesting, charming, and thought-provoking a more-or-less realistic slice-of-life manga can be. Nothing unbelievable, nothing illogical, and no unnecessary filler episodes or plot delays. Minimal fan service.

But now, with Madarame's harem (even if done ironically) and a combo hot baths/festival chapter, Nidaime is on its way to becoming just like every other seinen manga.

Sigh.

Very mild untranslated manga spoilers: To be fair, I must give a reminder that Ogiue and Sasahara's relationship was also begun during a hot springs/vacation arc (Karuizawa). Also, I'd ask you to wait for the translations before condemning the chapter; Hato's parts in particular, I think, were pretty good.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Very mild untranslated manga spoilers: To be fair, I must give a reminder that Ogiue and Sasahara's relationship was also begun during a hot springs/vacation arc (Karuizawa). Also, I'd ask you to wait for the translations before condemning the chapter; Hato's parts in particular, I think, were pretty good.
Okay, the Karuizawa arc did have a couple bath scenes, point taken. (although the bulk of it was in the tank extras). But fundamentally the relationship between Sasa and Ogi was realistic and developed over sufficient time. They mutually admire each other--Ogi saw Sasa handle the presidency well, deal with Haraguichi's mess, put out a doujin, and land a solid job, while Sasa is impressed by Ogi's art, dedication, and her tsundere-ness. They are also about equal in terms of attractiveness and share many common interests.

Mada's harem came out of no where. Hato's attraction I can see, if he's really bi. Mada was always nice, caring, and understanding every time they interacted, so I can see Pidgey fall in love little by little. Angela's glasses fetish and yellow fever as the main reasons for her attraction are already pushing it. No where near how much development as Hato Mada, not even mentioning Sasa Ogi. Keiko had two conversations with Mada, in both of which she called Mada an idiot. Sue had like one scene with Mada, giving Hato the keys, and the time she rode him.

This is like Love Hina level of character development.

edit: okay okay now that I've read the translated ch. 92, I stand corrected. It's a good chapter; go read it.

sincx fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 3, 2013

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^Regarding Manga Events: I wouldn't really say it's out of nowhere. While we only see Hato admiring the aspects of Mada's personality that have improved from the reader's perspective, it seems unlikely that he's the only one whose noticed those things. I think it's also a bit of a reflection on the different ways people can show interest and how in spite of that, Mada's too dense to get it no matter how it's coded. Angela is the only who owns up to her interest and makes it clear, perhaps because her interest is the least complex. Meanwhile, Sue plays the same game of cryptic anime references she did with Ogiue, probably thinking that his reciprocation is both attractive and meaningful. He indulges her otaku antics rather than being exasperated with them. It also lets Sue maintain some distance because though she pretty clearly doesn't want Angela to be with Mada, Sue might feel bad being with Mada instead (which would also explain why Sue wanted Hato to be with Mada - that way Angela and her both lose, so neither has to feel like they ruined the friendship.) Keiko tries to jab Mada into action in as much she probably wants him to get over Saki much like how she got over Kousaka (and for that matter, Kousaka could have developed a side of her that's interested in otaku.) Also, considering she went from thinking of him as an idiot to someone she wanted to impress at her job, I think it implies Keiko's noticed the changes in Mada considering she noticed his interest in Saki - we know she's perceptive. Hato is genuinely sexually perplexed regarding his attraction to Mada, and so also doesn't cop to his feelings. Between the repression and Mada's density, we get this kind of scenario.

Really, I think there have been hints, especially in comparison to how those characters acted in Nidaime vs. the original series, as they are reflective of the growth of Mada's character between the two series. While Mada is hopeless at noticing the changes in the people around him most of the time, the reverse is that everyone else in the Genshiken tends to know who is interested in whom (as underlined by Kio with the confession/school festival arc.) Also, I think Kio may have wanted the harem to be as shocking to the readers as it was to Madarame, so he couldn't really show everyone falling for him in a developed way without spoiling it. Little hints would be all we'd get so he could probably build that reveal. The tell as to whether it's really just empty-headed harem stuff will be how much he goes into detail filling in the gaps, though, since it's a monthly, I wouldn't expect it to as well developed as the one-on-one romances in Genshiken. It's way easier to have the details of two characters than five.

That said I think the last episode of the TV show might shortcut us to the same development given the description of chapter 92. I guess we'll see soon enough.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Hahaha:

It's like the first page of a scene from one of Ogiue's mangas.

But great last episode overall. A nice way to bring the anime all the way up to the latest manga chapter.

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Hahaha, those are the aliens from Kujibiki Unbalance.

sincx fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Some great nods in the latest episode:

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Sue's combo aside, I think I would have preferred if they'd ended it with ep11. These last two episodes felt unnecessary to me.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Genshiken-Nidaime/Vol-016-Ch-093--The-128mm-Cannon-Between-My-Legs-Remains-Just-a-037mm-Cannon?id=181025

New chapter is finally out. I can't seem to remember if we have a manga thread or not, but I couldn't find it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Genshiken-Nidaime/Vol-016-Ch-094--Snow-Man--Part-II?id=181411

Another chapter...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

I'm beginning to think that Genshiken Nidaime is too niche for SA. Hell, even on 4chan, Genshiken threads die surprisingly quickly.

The original Genshiken is already sorta-niche, so the new trap-centered Nidaime is way too much for most people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

I'm beginning to think that Genshiken Nidaime is too niche for SA. Hell, even on 4chan, Genshiken threads die surprisingly quickly.

The original Genshiken is already sorta-niche, so the new trap-centered Nidaime is way too much for most people.

A significant number of the original fanbase on 4chan had a huge negative reaction to Niidaime for various reasons which might be why it dies off so quickly now. Unfortunately, I wasn't around to observe the threads when it originally aired, but given the nature of the series, it probably got a lot of discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's not like the reaction in this thread has been significantly different. Take a look at the first few pages.

• Locked thread