Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

It's hard to determine whether a comedy is "bad" because different things are going to click for different people. I find pretty much anything funny, but I can tell you that this movie was pretty bad.

It felt like the highlight of the movie was supposed to be the big celebrity bash at the beginning, and I wasn't feeling it. Michael Cera has one great cameo, but the other celebrity cameos fall flat. It's also obviously cut to poo poo. David Krumholtz is an extra in several scenes and is the focus of a pivotal scene, but until that scene he has no lines. I really wish the movie had taken the "Extras" aspect and pushed it farther. This scene isn't the only one cut to bits. The movie is supposed to revolve around Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogen's friendship, but they barely have any screentime together. Baruchel spends more time with Craig Robinson. It really hinders a coherent narrative and makes the script oddly devoid of actual gags.

The apocalypse movie part has them deal with standard apocalypse movie fare. They need to ration food, board up windows, decide whether to let people in, explore their surroundings, and so on. There are no twists on these scenes, with the exception of the "do we let a stranger in" scene, which is well done. There's a loose cannon that endangers the entire cast (if you watch the movie you can easily predict who it's going to be). There's the moralizer who nobody likes. The black man dies first (although there's a fakeout, which I guess we're supposed to applaud?)

Speaking of the cast, it's wretched. There are six regular survivors: Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Craig Robinson, and Danny McBride (yeah, guess which one is the loose cannon). Of course, they all play exaggerated versions of themselves. Jonah Hill has the best part as an immediately punchable sycophantic dweeb. All the characters are hateful, but this is meant to be intentional, as redemption is the major theme of the movie. It's the Biblical apocalypse, you see, and there's the possibility of getting raptured up to heaven. However, most of the characters' sins are just being dumb. There's a confessional round table, where most of the confessions are just implausibly evil, but that's not on display for the movie. There's a "shocking betrayal" moment, but the betrayal is that one character stayed at a hotel instead of at his friend's house.

There are at least two "getting high" montages. They're not really connected to anything, they're just there because every R rated comedy has them.

Most of the movie's humor lies in the incredibly grotesque, which is lazy. I mean, jizzing and drinking urine is inherently funny. You can laugh at it on your own time, you don't need to spend ten dollars to hear people talk about it. By the end though, these grotesques escalate to truly horrific levels. A celebrity cameos as a brainwashed sex slave, and let's just say The Lone Ranger isn't the only movie in theaters right now that features a man getting cannibalized on screen. It's so horrific that it can't function as dark comedy.

The movie's strongest point was its physical comedy, and it really is good. Things get thrown to people, but instead of catching it, the people are harmed and shout. It's hilarious. Everyone's good at running away from things and getting angry. Danny McBride champions this, and his shouting match with James Franco is the highlight of the movie, but the writing doesn't elevate it to greatness. Like the other jokes, it relies on the grotesque far too much.

The end of the movie moves away from the physical comedy and devolves into CGI hijinks. I'm not opposed to CGI in movies, but I am opposed to bad CGI, and this CGI was bad. There's a CGI-dominated dance scene at the end, and like any non-Bollywood dancing finale, it's there because the director couldn't figure out any other way to end his movie, kind of like how I can't finish this review. Two stars, for the physicality of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badtitties
Nov 23, 2001

The greatest survivor
that ever lived...

I just have to say that I saw this last night and it was hilarious. If you enjoyed Superbad or Pineapple Express, you will love this as well. If you like any of the actors, you will love them in this movie. As the first poster mentioned, they all play exaggerated versions of themselves and it's done really well.

That's really all you need to know. If you like Seth Rogen, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill, James Franco and funny movies, just go see this. You won't regret it.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

I also thought the movie was funny and entertaining. I excuse the writing and jizz/fart/poopy jokes as a result of extensive actor improv and riffing. A movie with this many stand up comedians isn't going to be a well thought out 21st century masterpiece of comedy like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

badtitties posted:

I just have to say that I saw this last night and it was hilarious. If you enjoyed Superbad or Pineapple Express, you will love this as well. If you like any of the actors, you will love them in this movie. As the first poster mentioned, they all play exaggerated versions of themselves and it's done really well.

That's really all you need to know. If you like Seth Rogen, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill, James Franco and funny movies, just go see this. You won't regret it.
It's been the best apocalypse movie I've scene in a while too.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

I thought this movie was pretty deep. Jonah Hill wedging himself between Seth and his buddy that he hates was a nice subtle touch. My only criticism is they tried to get pretty dark [spoilers]Cannibal RV /the scene where Franco has his nose ripped off is on for what seems like a quarter of a second, but not enough to make you believe you weren't still watching a comedy. The car ride scene where they act really nice to each other to try and recreate what happened to Craig Robinson alludes nicely to how religious peoples morality is really self centered to ensure they enter an afterlife. [/spoilers] Also Kenny Powers in this movie made it loving hilarious. I think I liked this movie more then I should have.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Credits are still rolling and all I can think is why I didn't watch this sooner.

Again echoing what's been said: if you're a fan if Superbad, Pineapple Express etc then this movie is for you. If you think that stoner comedy is lame (like the OP) then give this a miss!

Try not to read the OP in too much detail as it spoils the whole film.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Right now Nintendo is the Titanic slowly but inexorably heading towards the iceberg. I can't wait for the ship to start sinking. It will be awesome to behold.

The best parts of This is the End were the interactions between Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Craig Robinson and Danny McBride, all of whom play exaggerated versions of themselves trying to survive the apocalypse in Francoís gaudy monstrosity of a house.

All the characters are variations of the pretentious-Hollywood-rear end in a top hat archetype. Even Jay Baruchel, who we are initially supposed to sympathize with, is exposed as a whiny self-righteous cock. Danny McBride, in my opinion, was the most entertaining - he essentially plays his Kenny Powers character from Eastbound and Down.

Some scenes made me smile - like where they inadvertently play football with a decapitated head, or film the trailer for Pineapple Express 2 with a camcorder - otherwise this is a fairly forgettable comedy with an ensemble cast and celebrity cameos.

Apart from a few laugh-out-loud moments and some interesting visuals of a godzilla-sized demon stalking Hollywood, there isnít much to recommend here. This Is the End does not have the pedigree of the best Rat Pack, Brat Pack and even Frat Pack films of their eras.

2.5/5