Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Zorak posted:

Please stay on topic.

Sorry Zorak :ohdear:

Update this weekend, hopefully tomorrow. With any luck that will cheer me up from the fact that my country is electing a racist, misogynist neo-liberal austerity worshipping politician as Prime Minister tomorrow. :australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

shalcar posted:

Update this weekend, hopefully tomorrow. With any luck that will cheer me up from the fact that my country is electing a racist, misogynist neo-liberal austerity worshipping politician as Prime Minister tomorrow. :australia:

At least we'll get to see what it looks like when you do a drunk update.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

shalcar posted:

Is this better than a racist, misogynist, neo-liberal, austerity worshipping warlord taking over the country by force and making the emperor declare him shogun?

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
If I could vote for a warlord for the election, I drat well would. They're still better than what we have available! :australia:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Well, I've come down with a bad case of the flu and lost my voice, so trying to record my battle commentary was an exercise in absolute failure. Update delayed until my body wants to co-operate with speech.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

shalcar posted:

Well, I've come down with a bad case of the flu and lost my voice, so trying to record my battle commentary was an exercise in absolute failure. Update delayed until my body wants to co-operate with speech.

Don't feel bad, I bet that a lot of your countrymen are hung over today.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

AtomikKrab posted:

Is this better than a racist, misogynist, neo-liberal, austerity worshipping warlord taking over the country by force and making the emperor declare him shogun?

Japan: having an isolationist sham puppet military dictatorship before it was cool.

Disclaimer: sham military dictatorship may or may not be any less legitimate or arbitrary than a familial monarchy.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Hi everyone!

Since the only people who competed in the fan art competition already had shogun 2, I still have two copies to give away.

As such, for the next 28 hours, I will give away a copy to the best two haikus about pretty much anything!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I own Shogun 2
So this is not an entry
Haikus are fun though

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
the spring of rome 2
such hopes we leaped and flew to
but winter descends

Honestly mostly trying to win so I can give it to someone else I'm trying to get into the total war series. So that I can try to play this and maybe Rome 2 with them*once Rome has been patched up some of course*. As for Haiku in general I don't at all expect to win, I had to look up how to make one and count out all the syllables several times to ensure I hit the right numbers. Never was good at writing. :shrug:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chitose on mission
Scroll down to make sure she lives
Reloading for story?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Kavak posted:

Chitose on mission
Scroll down to make sure she lives
Reloading for story?

Can't even get Chisato's name right. A shameful display (and no, this is an ironman run, no reloading allowed!).

e: Shogun 2 save files keep the random seed anyway, so chain reloading doesn't work. Not that it's foolproof, but it's a lot of effort to take all the tension out of the game (for me as well as you!).

shalcar fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 9, 2013

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Through all four seasons
The ninjas of hattori
Weave us a clan's tale

I've all the shogun 2- so for competition purposes I can be ranked quite low, but like Chaeden I wish to potentially gift it to someone else so that they can be exposed to the TW series.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Chisato attacks
Her silence is broken by
A very loud fart

Not a contest entry

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Archer on his perch,
what wonders do your eyes see?
"None, for I am short."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

shalcar posted:

Can't even get Chisato's name right. A shameful display (and no, this is an ironman run, no reloading allowed!).

e: Shogun 2 save files keep the random seed anyway, so chain reloading doesn't work. Not that it's foolproof, but it's a lot of effort to take all the tension out of the game (for me as well as you!).

I should've remembered how RotS screwed over poor Tomoe Gozen.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Wheat through granary
So are the days of our lives
Sabotage success

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I've already won so this is purely for funsies

How to stop ninja?
Create ultimate counter
Granary golem

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

To be like daddy
Ruler of the ninja clan
Must get big and strong!
- Masanari

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Ikko as allies
Buddhist communist rebels
This'll end in tears

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If Only I could stab
Abbot with my sweet ninjas
I would die happy

This one's for you, Shalcar~

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
I wrote a haiku
It wasn't very good though
It was worth a shot

Question, are we allowed to win the game for the purpose of having it gifted to others? I personally already have a copy, but I entered to try and win one for my girlfriend. If that's not allowed, then it's fine to pass this over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

shalcar posted:

To explain this in a little more detail, Shogun 2's random seed is fixed in a given save file, but each time you create and load a new save file, a new random seed is generated. So for example, let's say you load up a save file, which I'll call "Save1". You load it up, send a ninja to assassinate a target, and they fail. Here's what can happen:

1. You reload Save1 and try again. The ninja will always fail, because Save1's random seed is locked and the ninja is always going to get a failed result.
2. You reload Save1, immediately save your game into a new file (Save2) and then load Save2, then try again. Save2 will have a different random seed, so the ninja might succeed.

So if you're inclined to game the system, it's incredibly easy to do. But just as shalcar said, it's really gamey and boring.

Reload the old file.
Save again, load the new file.
What a waste of time.
Not a contest entry, I already own the game.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 10, 2013

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Douchebag elected
New game, lungs both bug-laden
Solace in battle

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sydin posted:

To explain this in a little more detail, Shogun 2's random seed is fixed in a given save file, but each time you create and load a new save file, a new random seed is generated. So for example, let's say you load up a save file, which I'll call "Save1". You load it up, send a ninja to assassinate a target, and they fail. Here's what can happen:

1. You reload Save1 and try again. The ninja will always fail, because Save1's random seed is locked and the ninja is always going to get a failed result.
2. You reload Save1, immediately save your game into a new file (Save2) and then load Save2, then try again. Save2 will have a different random seed, so the ninja might succeed.

So if you're inclined to game the system, it's incredibly easy to do. But just as shalcar said, it's really gamey and boring.

If the random seed is the same, you should be able to get different results by reloading and trying things in a different order, no? (Meaning: if you have two ninjas, the order in which you take their turns should deterministically affect the result). Unless they keep a different pseudorandom generator for each individual agent which would be... odd.

Granted it's not much better than doing the save scum trick you mentioned.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Abbotsgonnawin
AusPol lamented, knowing
That death is certain.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jsor posted:

If the random seed is the same, you should be able to get different results by reloading and trying things in a different order, no? (Meaning: if you have two ninjas, the order in which you take their turns should deterministically affect the result). Unless they keep a different pseudorandom generator for each individual agent which would be... odd.

Granted it's not much better than doing the save scum trick you mentioned.

Yeah that works too, but that's arguably even more tedious as you constantly reload over and over, trying different sequences of different agents on different tasks trying to result in a random string that gets you the one result you want.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Meant to submit this last time but the timer ran out.

Not meant to be for this game of course.

Cavalry hounds us
Cannons to the west of us
We pop stand and fight.

This one... maybe.

Swiftly, silently
We disappearing shadows
of the rising sun.

On a side note Angry Joe did a review on Rome 2. It's... not pretty.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I own FotS but not vanilla so here's my haiku:

Civil War rifles
Hundreds dead without a fight
I miss bows and spears

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Hattori's power
Lies not in stealth or ambush
But in charts and graphs

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
The worst part about judging these competitions is that there are *so many* good entries. I wish I had more prizes to give out!

Still, there can only be two winners:

John Charity Spring, who I have half a mind to disqualify because I'm pretty sure he's hacked my PC and is reading ahead.

John Charity Spring posted:

Ikko as allies
Buddhist communist rebels
This'll end in tears

and Gimnbo, who moved me to tears. I miss bows and spears too, buddy.

Gimnbo posted:

Civil War rifles
Hundreds dead without a fight
I miss bows and spears

Send me a PM or email me at my user name at rpgclassics.com with your steam account email address so I can send you your prize!

To everyone else who participated, there were some absolutely fantastic entries that made choosing next to impossible (There was a coin flip to decide the tiebreaker), you are all pretty good at this! I should stop doing competitions, I always get twisted in knots about picking winners.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I knew that Creative Writing MLitt would come in handy some day!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I knew my visceral shock at having a third of a unit die in one volley would come in handy some day.

(no I didn't)

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
The many paths to victory

Spring of 1148

"It's HUGE!" gasped Masanari in awe, looking up at an eminent merchant's warehouse. "That must have enough rice for a million people!"
"It is boasted he has enough rice here to feed 1500 men for a year" Yasunaga noted. "His wealth was amassed by buying rice at harvest time and then selling throughout the year."
"He must be very powerful" Masanari replied. "Only you have more rice, dad!"
"He is a merchant! Lower than a samurai!" Yasunaga laughed. "What use is his wealth? He can hire mere bandits, while we command the loyalty of the samurai, the greatest of men. No, he may not want for material comforts, but his type will never exert power."

Now this is a turn for construction! Settsu gains our fourth Market as well as an Improved Irrigation, which offsets the extra food consumed by our newly constructed Rice Exchange in Omi. Rice Exchanges (and the Merchant Guild, the next upgrade of the Market chain) are interesting buildings, in that they provide a large boost to town wealth at the cost of empire wide growth (as their food consumption is a larger loss of growth than the additional town growth provided by the building itself). This means that when constructed in a province without a Metsuke, they provide only a middle term profit (around 15 turns after they are built until about 60 turns after they are built) and so are not really all that useful. Where they do shine though, is when they are constructed in a province with a high tax rate (a Metsuke province), as the additional wealth translates into a huge amount of income. While it's true that even in a Metsuke province it will eventually have been a bad idea to build one, that point is far past the time limit on the game and so in practise it's always a good idea to upgrade your Metsuke economy provinces with the biggest Market chain building you can afford. The fact it requires food will mean that you are by nature limited between boosting your economy or expanding your other building options. Unlike almost all the other building chains, the Merchant Guild, the third tier upgrade of the Market, is generally better value than the Rice Exchange, the second tier upgrade of the Market, and so you should always upgrade to Merchant Guilds before Rice Exchanges if you have the option.

The second building in the Market chain, the Rice Exchange provides additional wealth and town growth, but at the cost of food.

Ingame encyclopaedia - Rice Exchange posted:

A rice exchange significantly improves a province's wealth and growth. Rather than each village relying on its own crops and living from harvest to harvest, an exchange allows merchants to buy up rice crops, and ship them to market as needed. Overall, the effect is to even out the good and bad harvests at some cost to the peasants, who may not always be able to afford the food they have grown.

Merchants were part of the social class of chonin, or townsmen. This gave them few privileges compared to the samurai warrior class. However, they were able to amass considerable wealth. This helped them survive the transition from an age of warfare to an age of enforced peace under the Tokugawa Shogunate. Business went on as usual and, if anything, improved. In the long run, the samurai were not so fortunate: their social caste meant that they could not work and retain their honour as samurai. The strict social edicts of the Tokugawas didn't help either, and many samurai were reduced to penury when there was no longer constant warfare.

"We are Hattori samurai!" bellowed the captain. "None best us with the blade, none best us in bravery and none best us in bushido!"

We further increase Taketoshi's force in Settsu with an additional Hattori Bow Ashigaru, while also continuing to bring quality forces into our armed forces with the recruitment of another Hattori Katana Samurai in Yamato.

"My Lord, I bring grave news!" exclaimed the messenger, bursting into the room. "A Miyoshi warship is blockading the harbour, none of our merchants may pass!"
"Fools mess with the Hattori" replied Taketoshi, turning to his advisors. "What options do we have?"
"With no warships of our own we can't drive them off" responded an advisor. "But our docks are undamaged, we can still construct ships of our own."
"See it done then" ordered Taketoshi. "We will not be humbled by lesser men!"

Our newly established trade route with the Chosokabe has been thwarted by the Miyoshi, who have blockaded the port at Settsu with their fleet! Trade routes that are blockaded produce no income at all, any trade goods which would have been sold on that trade route are considered worthless, even though you normally get 1/2 price for unsold trade goods. In addition, trade routes that are blockaded will not re-route through other ports, even if they have free available trade route slots. Blockades can be crippling, but one thing that is often overlooked is that you can still recruit ships from a blockaded port and they will remain safe from attack inside the port, so you can always (eventually) break out of a blockade even if you only have one port.

"Reports indicate that the Otomo have been victorious in their war against the Shimazu, my Lord" the ninja reported. "The Christians and their dead god are rising in power."
"We must be cautious so that they do not anger heaven" replied Yasunaga. "Yet there are more immediate concerns. Nevertheless, it is sad to see heathens gain even a fistful of soil."

The war between the Shimazu and the Otomo to the west of Japan has concluded with the destruction of the Shimazu. While this means we don't need to worry about their deadly katana samurai, it means we will soon face a new threat, Christianity. The Christian Otomo have easy access to guns and cannon, as well as missionaries. This means that Christian unrest is a very real and present risk in our future. As such, we need to prioritise gaining access to the Buddhist monks and temples so that we are not caught with no counter to this threat (although we need Buddhist monks and temples in case the Ikko Ikki decide to spread their faith in our borders anyway, so this only increases the urgency with which we need to get it).

"My Lord" Fuyusuke bowed before Taketoshi. "You summoned me?"
"I have been told you are the best tax collector in Settsu" replied Taketoshi. "I want you to serve the Hattori, free to do your duty as you see fit."
"A generous offer, my Lord" responded Fuyusuke. "It will, of course, be my honour to serve."

With a new Market comes a new Metsuke, Fuyusuke. From now on, all of our Metsuke will be recruited from Settsu, as the presence of the School means that all Metsuke produced here start at rank 2, saving a full 8 turns of levelling up and making them immediately very useful. This can be critical when in the later game a high level Metsuke that was powering your economy is killed by an enemy agent!

"Your connections with the local tax collection agencies will do much to help us" noted Taketoshi. "You will gain power, rank, wealth and have the honour of serving at the highest level."
"I wish to be judged on results, not on my methods" requested Fuyusuke. "I do not do things as the others do, but I am able to get results that no-one else can."
Taketoshi smiled, without humour. "Of course! Talk is cheap, yet action is what changes the world!"

Our first rank 2 Metsuke! Given that we plan to have him help out our tax income, we spend the two points in Magistrate to make him even more effective in his chosen role.

The Metsuke skill tree wins the award for being the least balanced in all of Shogun 2 (and until recently, all of Total War). The reasons for this are twofold, firstly, that overseeing town boosts are incredibly powerful and available early on and secondly, that the other options are rather lacklustre, with skills that actually give your Metsuke a fighting chance at anything other than his passives hidden deeper in the tree at rank 3 meaning that there is no real way short of blind luck to rank up a Metsuke through missions, all of which carry enormous opportunity cost because that same Metsuke could be raking in literally hundreds of koku a turn for you instead. This is compounded further by the fact that Realm Divide tests your economy strength far more than your military one, it's far easier to mass recruit in Realm Divide than it is to handle being suddenly bankrupt. There is literally no reason to ever put points into a Metsuke that isn't 2 Magistrate, 1 Secret Policeman (saving 1 so you can) and 3 Censor. The rest can go wherever (They won't live long enough to reach rank 5. It won't matter.)

Retainers for Metsuke work in a much similar manner to how you spend your skill points, any retainers that boost overseeing towns are must haves, while if none of those are on offer, anything that increases the liklihood of your Metsuke surviving hostile actions is a good second place. Luckily for us, the Kabukimono boosts both overseeing towns and overseeing armies.

"Then I will need my assistant, a Kabukimono" stated Fuyusuke. "He is a good man, able to go where other can not."
"You work with a masterless samurai?" replied Taketoshi, eyebrows raised in surprise. "Very well, do what you must. Now get to work, the Hattori don't pay you to sit around!"

With a full 5 stars in Overseeing Settlements, Fuyusuke adds 25% to the tax rate of any province he is overseeing. As the base tax rate is 30%, he very nearly doubles the income from a province, right out of the gate. As our provinces improve and he ranks up further, it's entirely possible he can make enough tax to support a half stack all by himself.

"I can't believe the Hattori expect me to scout in this ship" moaned the captain. "She's built for trade, not for vision!"
"I just hope we don't run into anyone who means us harm" replied the first mate. "We couldn't fight off a sea cow."
"Ahh, but if we get out of this alive, we will be very rich men" noted the captain. "Besides, I doubt those on the land are doing any better."

Our trade ship sails ever onwards towards the trade nodes, in the completely vain hope that they have not all been taken yet.

"That's the lay of three more clans" reported the first mate. "More opportunity to trade, more opportunity to be rich men."
The captain nodded. "So far everything is going well. Let's hope it continues."

Of more use is the discovery of new clans, as this opens up new opportunity to trade as we conquer new coastal provinces or upgrade our sea ports. The Mori are a major clan who only own a single province at the moment, although their fleet is formidable.

The castle was becoming familiar, dark turns and shadows old friends. Chisato moved with cat-like grace, leaving no trace of her entry behind. No longer a simple apprentice ninja, she had earned her place as a legitimate Hattori ninja, worthy of the name. Despite the heavier than usual guard, she had little difficulty moving unheard and unseen, taking gracefully to the rooftops and equally well to skulking along the deep, flickering shadows on the ground. As she approached the gate, panic touched her chest as she noticed a full five guards having a conversation out the front of it. Stopping, she settled into the shadows, waiting for the opportune moment. One guard, spurred by something, turned and peered directly into the shadow Chisato was in...

Kawachi needs to fall, but for that to happen we need to seriously stack the odds in our favour. To that end we dispatch Chisato to ensure that the gates will provide no obstacle to our plans.

Click here to see the mission!

"What are you looking at?" demanded another guard. "There is nothing there!"
"I thought I saw something move" replied the guard. "I feel like there is something there."
"Look at you, jumping at shadows like a little girl!" mocked the first guard. "Pay attention."
"I DON'T PAY YOU TO LOUNGE AROUND!" boomed a voice. "Don't make me come over there and tell you again!"
"Slavedriver" a guard mumbled under his breath as they dispersed back to their posts.
Seeing her opening, Chisato struck, quickly silencing the two remaining guards and completing her mission.

We are in luck and she proves herself as reliable and resourceful as ever. I'm going to be really, really sad when she dies.

"New orders!" barked the captain. "We are to make best speed for Kawachi. Let's hope we are not expected to take it alone!"

With the first stage of our plan complete, we move onto the second stage, assembling our forces. First thing we need to do is divert the Kii reinforcements to the south of Kawachi.

"We are to do what?" exclaimed the captain.
"March to Kawachi" replied the messenger. "You will meet up with the other forces there. These are the orders of Taketoshi himself."

Next we divert the forces travelling from Iga and place them in the forest to the east of Kawachi.

"Those peasants couldn't attack a farm without us!" bellowed the samurai captain. "They need us to show them how it's done at Kawachi. Let's not disappoint the children!"

Now we take the 2 Hattori Katana Samurai and 2 Hattori Yari Ashigaru that are in Yamato and march them as close as we can to Kawachi.

"THIS IS WAR, NOT A PICNIC!" bellowed Taketoshi. "I've seen corpses more fearsome! Let's show those Hatakeyama bastards what a real fighting force can do!"
"The men are concerned about our numbers compared to the enemy" noted the ashigaru commander. "Do we have enough to assault the fortification?"
"This is why I am the general!" laughed Taketoshi. "Don't worry, we are not the only force marching on Kawachi this day!"

With all the other pieces in place, we unleash Taketoshi and his men from Settsu to launch a devastating assault on Kawachi. I've had enough of being threatened from the heart of our empire and it's time to do something about it.

"FORM UP!" bellowed Taketoshi. "ARCHERS TO THE LEFT FLANK! SPEARMEN, FORWARD!"
"My Lord, we can't win like this" noted the ashigaru commander. "We are too few."
"Too few?" laughed Taketoshi. "Look to the south! Look to the east! Tell me again we are too few!"
The ashigaru commander scanned the horizon and then burst out laughing. "Hattori banners! So many Hattori banners!"
"Come on then" laughed Taketoshi, spurring his horse forward. "Let's go join the fun!"

Our first proper castle storming! Taketoshi's forces are split into 4, but together consist of 2 Hattori Katana Samurai, 10 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 5 Hattori Bow Ashigaru taking the fight to the defenders who have 1 Samurai Retainers, 4 Yari Ashigaru and 2 Bow Ashigaru. Despite the sizeable defensive force which would likely be more than a match for our ashigaru forces alone, our katana samurai are incredibly deadly to ashigaru of all types, able to give us the edge in taking the castle from the stalwart defenders.

Click here to see the battle!
Archers loosed their arrows, a deadly song arcing through the sky, men on all sides falling.
"Overwhelm the defenders!" commanded Taketoshi. "Spears to the walls! Swords to the gate! Bodyguards, TO ME!"
Braving the treacherous climb, yari ashigaru threw themselves at the wall with fury, covered by their archer brethren. Slowly at first, but with greater frequency, they came over the walls, taking the fight to the defenders. But it wasn't enough. Despite their slowly growing numbers inside the fort, the ashigaru were having trouble taking ground, the defenders making them pay in bitter blood for every step.

The Fort is a typical moated one, probably one of the harder ones to defend. The defending archers don't have the range to reach the moat while the attackers are crossing it, while the land between the moat and the walls is fairly flat and good for attacking archers to get an angle on the defenders inside the fort. The strength of our army is not in it's ranged firepower however, but our punchy katana core, so an aggressive attack is likely to yield the best results here.

"HATTORI!" screamed the samurai captain, bursting through the gates, cutting down several startled defenders. "Never fall! Never surrender! WE ARE THE DARKNESS!"
Katana samurai swarmed through the gate behind him, reaping a terrible toll on the defenders, forcing them back and pushing the momentum towards the Hattori once more.
"You want to live forever?" taunted Taketoshi, his bodyguard bursting through the front gate, adding even more momentum to the attack.
"Taketoshi!" yelled an ashigaru.
"Hattori!" from another.

Glorious victory! Any castle assault that you get less casualties than there were defenders is a good one. Despite how well it went, we still lost 530 men, a full 3.5 units of ashigaru. That's a loss in our fighting force that is not to be lightly ignored. Although we can rapidly replace these losses, when our supply line is further stretched, it will become increasingly difficult to do so.

Soon, only eerie silence was left on the battlefield, broken only by the cries of the slowly dying. Around the samurai was a pile or corpses, their bloody swathe cut through the defenders easily seen in the macabre carnage of the battlefield. None could doubt the power of the Hattori this day.

The heroes of the match are the Hattori Katana Samurai, dealing terrible, terrible death to their enemies while only taking modest casualties in return. Although incredibly powerful, samurai troops need to be looked after, as it's difficult to replace them when lost, either in the form of replenishment or new units. Without the Katana Samurai to do the heavy lifting, it's obvious our ashigaru would have taken significantly higher casualties, as evidenced by the generally 1:1 kill ratio on our ashigaru.

"The province is ours, my Lord" announced the ashigaru commander. "A masterful fight, the enemy never had a chance."
"Inside the heart of each Hattori beats that of a hero" replied Taketoshi. "They need only find it. I believed in these men and they showed me my faith was not misplaced."

Kawachi, that dagger in the heart of our empire, has fallen into rightful Hattori hands! Another province brings us closer to victory, but also closer to the dreaded Realm Divide!

"This place is worthless" noted the ashigaru commander. "The lands are poor and with little development. Why did we value it so much?"
"It is best in our hands for the same reason it is dangerous in the enemies" replied Taketoshi. "It lies at the heart of our empire, able to move troops anywhere rapidly. Against us it was a powerful weapon, while for us it will make our defences formidable indeed."

Kawachi contains a Fort, Empty Building Slot, Rice Paddies (Barren Soil) and Trails. It's paltry income is barely enough to cover the additional administrative cost of owning it, let alone provide for any extra troops. Kawachi's strength is not in wealth, however, but in the incredible location. Kawachi has rapid transport to almost anywhere in central Japan, making it an essential linchpin in the defence or taking of this rich portion of Japan. The fact it's just behind our front lines and so poor in wealth makes it ideal for turning into a military centre, able to rapidly transport troops to wherever they are needed in our empire.

Yasunaga was worried. The Ikko Ikki had been taking territory at a rate that impressed even him. Although they were allies, how long could that hold when the two giants at Japan's centre both desired the crown? The Ikko Ikki did not recognise the right to rule of the Daimyo, something that already stretched relationships. What if this growth was brought about to let the Ikko Ikki bring the fight to the Hattori as equals?

I'm not the only one that's been busy however, as the Ikko Ikki have taken not one, but two provinces from the Imagawa in their war. This is a complete disaster for me, as my allies now own provinces that I require in order to win, not to mention that I had planned to expand into! Right now our military alliance is too new for me to break without suffering an honour loss, so I will need to find a new way of keeping up my momentum while I try to work out exactly what I should do about the suddenly looming threat of my allies. I suspect sooner, rather than later, the Ikko Ikki and the Hattori must come to blows.

Sneak Peak: A new champion...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Starting last update, I was seriously expecting Chisato to die just the turn before you attacked the castle. Good to know I was wrong.

How fast is the replacement rate of Katana Samurais in Kawachi?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 14, 2013

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I loving love the Ikko Ikki. Swarms of loan sword Ashigaru? Yes please!

They have a rough start, but boy do they make up for it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh dear. Always a problem when your allies take something you need.

I don't suppose you can trade provinces with anybody, can you?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That last samurai retainer made a gloriously honorable last stand! Honorable- and futile. :unsmigghh:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Any chance you can build enough boats to grab Shikoku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Glazius posted:

Oh dear. Always a problem when your allies take something you need.

I don't suppose you can trade provinces with anybody, can you?

No, you can't. He may not have to break the alliance, however, depending on who the biggest blob in the unexplored northeast is. It's a good bet they're also at war with the Ikko and might reverse those recent gains.

• Locked thread