Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

V. Illych L. posted:

I'm warning you, if you make me fight a naval battle I will make it as boring as poo poo. Because there is no other way to really do naval battles in vanilla shogun 2.

You say that like mass Fire Bomb boats are not a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

...I thought you could only get four of those in one fleet. Is that just in the campaign?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

V. Illych L. posted:

...I thought you could only get four of those in one fleet. Is that just in the campaign?

You are limited to 4 out of 10 in a fleet, yes. That's more than enough for ludicrous mayhem. If you don't have Cannon Bune, the naval combat can actually be a lot of fun if your opponent takes a non-gimmick navy. I suspect you might be surprised at how much fun it can be.

The next update, which I hope to get out tomorrow, showcases the important fact that everyone, no matter how good or bad, can get flustered and be put on the back foot. I can't say I'm at all eager to show the thread my completely panicked performance as I try to regain the upper hand, but I think it will be a nice reminder that not everything goes according to plan!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
The teamwork Crate

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's crack open the Captain's crate.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Captain's Crate.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Captain's Crate

Because it levels the playing field a bit.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Captain's Crate

Everything is better with boats.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stone!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Legend. While we got to see them a bit in the main story, they never really got a chance to wreck poo poo. Let's remedy that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Bit tangential, but Steam has Rome II on sale for half-off for the next 48 hours.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009
Voting for the Stone crate. I'd like to see how they do with fortifications thrown into the mix.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Captain's Crate

V. Illych L. and I just had our round of battles. I did about as well as I expected. :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

While the landslide for one particular option probably won't be overcome, I'm still going to vote for the Legendary Crate since we don't get to see enough of them in the campaign, and I'm unable to vote for the Oni crate directly...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Teamwork crate because gently caress the ocean, that's why

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Legendary crate, because I want to see a bunch of fancy nifty dudes murder each other for somebody else's whims.

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
Gentleman, I'm voting for the Captain's Crate. We know the thread will force it on us eventually. Let's get this over with and look on to better battles.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Tragically, I have to agree with your reasoning and vote Captain's Crate. ...I'm hoping it's the Oni crate.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Honestly, I wasn't expecting such a dismayed response from the players with respect to the Naval Battle round. I want them to be having fun and excited about what they are doing as well, so I'll change the rules for the Captain's Crate.

In addition to making it a naval round, it also makes the round friendly (Not counted for elimination) and also optional (Players who do not wish to participate may do so without penalty).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I vote Captain' Crate

What, I like the naval battles :(

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Voting Captain's Crate with hopes of an Oni

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Voting for Captain's Crate and here is an artists representation of naval combat in medieval Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8CnjVMG3eU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Voting for Stone Crate since human vs. human sieges are much more entertaining than AI sieges. Though I imagine captain's crate will continue to pull ahead, so hopefully the rng makes that the oni crate or something so we can see more than one battle.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bit tangential, but Steam has Rome II on sale for half-off for the next 48 hours.

This might be a bit late since there is on 34 hours to go, but it's actually all the Total War games. So that's Shogun 2 and all the DLC at half price at the moment. Might be worth checking out if you are on the fence!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Captains Crate

Also,

shalcar posted:

We won't be going for Geisha or the kisho ninja hero unit, as the art needed for them takes 20 turns, which is far too long for the expected scope of this lp.

Would it be possible for someone to give a bit more detailed overview/tactica of these two units, since shalcar won't be going for them? Though I guess the kisho ninja hero unit is just a regular ninja unit but better?

Gettinglosthere
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry I'm late to the party friend me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mrnixonstrikesback

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.

shalcar posted:

Honestly, I wasn't expecting such a dismayed response from the players with respect to the Naval Battle round. I want them to be having fun and excited about what they are doing as well, so I'll change the rules for the Captain's Crate.

In addition to making it a naval round, it also makes the round friendly (Not counted for elimination) and also optional (Players who do not wish to participate may do so without penalty).

Shalcar, I love you so much right now.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yes, that is much better, thank you a lot!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I want to see some TEAMWORK out there.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Since I am a big fan of siege battles I am voting for the Stone Crate.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Shalcar, GS and me just finished our matches; I sent my replays already. He was a true gentleman damyio, and there was plenty of murdering, of course. :black101:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Miyoshi's End

Summer of 1550 (Enemy Turn)

"My Lord" announced the attendant. "The drums of war beat from the Amako. They aim to strike at the Bessho, our vassals, flaunting the protection of the mighty Hattori!"
"That is truly unfortunate" noted Yasunaga, looking contemplative. "We are in no position to assist, but such upstart clans can not be allowed to think they can cross us. Send work to the Bessho, we stand with them."

Our Vassals, the Bessho, are attacked by their western neighbour, the Amako. We are in no real position to help them, but we join the war anyway to uphold our end of the vassal treaty. Failure to do so would break their vassal status and cost us honour, while joining the war might let us get a few more turns of trade income out of them. It's an ugly business, but since it was basically a vassalage of opportunity, I'm not too upset about it.

"Ikko Ikki flags, captain!" bellowed the lookout. "They are making full speed for us!"
"We can't outrun them sir" noted the first mate. "Your orders?"
"I wasn't planning on running" stated the captain. "Bring her about and ready to battle stations! Let's give these bastards a good seeing to!"

The Ikko attempt to wrest control of the seas around Awa away from us, launching an attack of 2 Bow Kobayas against our single Medium Bune. We have nearly as many archers as they do, while having fair more melee troops on board. With the high walls of the Medium Bune, I'm confident we can hold our own in this fight. The main concern is that Medium Bunes take heavy damage from ranged fire from the sides, so we will need to do our best to keep our weak underbelly from being exposed too much.

Click here to see the battle!
"Focus on the ornate ship!" ordered the captain. "The fleet commander will be there, mark my words. Try to close for boarding action!"
"It's no good sir" responded the first mate. "When we are getting close, they find a burst of speed and outpace us."
"They can't keep it up forever" noted the captain. "We have more archers and are the finer warship. It's only a matter of time before they fall."

The map gives us the opportunity to deploy near the island, covering one of our weaker flanks and preventing being encircled. Their ships are faster than ours, so we will have to reply on being the bigger dog in any one fight, although with careful positioning we may be able to isolate them from each other and use our superior ship to its best.

"Captain, they are breaking off!" announced the lookout. "They have no more stomach for the fight!"
"What did I tell you?" laughed the captain. "Peasants have no stomach for fight. See to the wounded, we have work to do."

We are bloodied, but victorious! While neither side was able to deal a decisive blow to the other, we retain the sea lanes and still have our Medium Bune in reasonably good shape. This is perhaps the most frustrating thing about ship battles in Shogun 2, it's remarkably hard to deal a knock-out blow and unlike armies, fleets of any size can replenish to full in a single turn if they are in port (at a fee).

"A third of our men are either dead or unable to fight, sir" reported the first mate. "We estimate that the enemy forces had barely a dozen sailors left when they fled."
"We can take them if they come back, then" noted the captain. "But we are in no shape to take on a fresh enemy. Thank you, you are dismissed."

The scorecard doesn't reflect the damage we inflicted upon the Ikko Ikki forces. Although we lost a third of our men, the Ikko Ikki fleet in the region is totally gutted and no longer able to mount an effective threat, especially as their nearest port is some distance away. It's looking like there might be some security in the waters east of us after all.

"They are cowards" laughed Taketoshi. "They will wait until they are starving, then they might try something. No sooner. You worry unduly."
"I hope you are correct, my Lord" replied the samurai captain. "We are picketed very close to their forces if they decide to sally."
Drums boomed in the distance.
"The call to sally!" gasped the samurai captain. "Seems they are not cowards after all! We have much work to do!"
"Excellent!" laughed Taketoshi. "I was beginning to think they were clever. Ready the men! Form a defensive position, archers front. No man shall defeat the Hattori!"

As we had expected, the Miyoshi have no wish to stand idle and wait for us to starve them out. They are taking the fight to Taketoshi, his forces of 1 Light Cavalry, 3 Hattori Katana Samurai, 11 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 4 Hattori Bow Ashigaru under threat from the Miyoshi's 4 Light Cavalry, 1 Bow Samurai, 7 Yari Ashigaru, 3 Bow Ashigaru and 1 Samurai Retainers. While their army is formidable, I'm confident that with the defensive position and the raw killing power of our Katana Samurai that we will be able to inflict devastating casualties upon them, making our assault of the fortifications much easier.

Click here to see the battle!
"The enemy is too close!" yelled an archer. "We will be cut down!"
"Wait for the signal to withdraw" bellowed the archery captain. "You are Hattori, act like it!"
"Sir, they are too close!" the archer insisted. "We must withdraw NOW!"
"Keep Firing!" ordered the captain. "Ok lads, draw swords and prepare to receive the charge!"
With a mighty crash, the lines met, the Miyoshi spearmen dealing terrible damage to the loosely scattered archers. Hattori men fell, yet they fought on bravely, dealing what they could in return.
"Finally, the signal!" screamed the captain. "FALL BACK! FALL BACK!"
In the confusion of the meleé, men slowly fell back in dribs and drabs, some choosing to stay behind and buy their comrades time. After what felt like an eternity, the ground rumbled as the Hattori samurai led a counter charge.
"Thought you would never get here!" the archery captain boomed. "Pay them back for what we lost."
"You heard him!" bellowed the samurai captain. "TAKE THE BASTARDS APART!"

As a Siege Sally map, the deployment zones of both sides are much closer to each other than on a regular field battle. This is something that I didn't correctly take into account with my field strategy, which had me on the back foot from the start. Our game plan is to pepper them with arrow fire, hold the flanks and deliver a devastating counter attack with our katana samurai right down the middle of their forces, with the aim of punching through for maximum casualties. We can rely on the hill to take the momentum out of any flanking maneuvers the Miyoshi have planned, but we need to be careful that we don't have the hill work against us.

"My Lord, the field is yours" reported the assistant. "What are your orders?"
"They must not be allowed to get back to the fortifications" stated Taketoshi, wheeling his horse about. "Full engagement, cut them all down. Leave none alive."

Well that was ugly for everyone involved. Despite my complete panic, we somehow managed to not only get a solid victory out of it, but managed to deal so much damage that only a paltry 11 Miyoshi soldiers managed to escape from the field alive! The amount of damage large armies can inflict after the battle is over can be quite incredible and in this case we certainly exceeded our wildest expectations. It was relatively costly though, with a full 500 of our men lost in battle thanks to my rather lacklustre attempt at generalship. It's a solid lesson that sometimes only a single mistake can throw everything out of balance, but luckily things went our way in the end.

"That signal cost a lot of lives" complained an archer. "Using us to save the precious samurai, I bet."
"You shut that mouth of yours right now" hissed the sergeant. "Taketoshi knows what he's doing and the samurai bled like the rest of us. War happens, people die."

The numbers tell of the heavy carnage during this battle, with the majority of our units collecting over 100 kills each, with one very hard fighting unit of Hattori Yari Ashigaru collecting an impressive 264 kills! Losses were moderately heavy across the board, but that can work to our favour as each unit will replenish fairly rapidly due to the distributed nature of the casualties. Still, if I had played better we would have kept a lot more soldiers alive.

"My Lord, the fortifications are completely abandoned!" reported the scout. "The Miyoshi have fled, what few of them remain."
"I could use a soft bed and a solid roof" smiled Taketoshi. "Right you lot, break camp and form up, it's time for the victors to enjoy the spoils!"

Now this is a pleasant surprise! Of those 11 Miyoshi soldiers that escaped, not enough of them belonged to any one unit and so all the enemy units have been destroyed or disbanded from lack of soldiers. This means that Awa is undefended and so we have gained control!

"Awa is famous for its warhorses" the administrator noted. "The finest in all Japan, they claim. The former owners put extensive work making this boast true, with stables that rival any other clan."

Awa is an interesting province that is set up for the production of high quality cavalry troops thanks to their abundance of high quality war horses. This presents me with a bit of a dilemma, as it's too far away from our heartland to really be a primary recruitment centre, but it's already significantly more advanced than our own cavalry recruitment province. Awa contains a Stronghold, Warhorse Stables, Archery Dojo, Improved Irrigation (Average Soil), Roads and Horse Breeders.

Cost: 1600

The Warhorse Stables is the second building in the Cavalry chain and requires access to the Warhorse trade goods in order to build. It increases the quality of the Light Cavalry recruited in the province as well as allowing the recruitment of Bow Cavalry, Yari Cavalry and Katana Cavalry with the Archery Dojo, Yari Drill Yard and Sword School respectively. It also allows the recruitment of Donderbuss Cavalry (Otomo only) with a Powder Maker.

Ingame Encyclopaedia - Warhorse Stables posted:

Where horses are available these stables allow the recruitment of a wide range of cavalry units. Battle tests the spirit of horses as surely as it tests their strength. Some are better suited to the clamour and din than others, and accept the training required of them. Warhorses must be able to ride headlong into an angry crowd, ignore flames, and keep going even when every natural instinct tells them to run.

As might be expected, cavalry furniture for horses in Japan developed in a somewhat different fashion compared to the rest of the world. Japanese saddles were traditionally made of wood, and carefully designed to give the rider a stable platform for archery. Such considerations made them unsuitable for use over long distances, or at speed, as they were heavy and uncomfortable. The reins and bridle, however, were light and made of silk. The strangest pieces of equipment, to outside eyes, were the umagutsu. These straw sandals were shoes for the horses, and very similar to human footwear. The umagutsu provided extra traction in wet conditions, and this alone was no small matter when battles were often fought across paddy fields and farmland. They also helped quieten the sound of the horses' hooves.

Cost: 1350

Available only in the Horse Breeding speciality provinces, the Horse Breeders is the second building in the Warhorse chain. It further increases the wealth of the province as well as producing extra Warhorse trade goods and increasing the charge bonus of any cavalry recruited in the province.

Ingame Encyclopaedia - Horse Breeders posted:

This province is ideally suited to horses and animal husbandry. By investing here, the quality of the horse stock improves, leading to better mounts for all cavalry in the clan's armies. This improves the charge bonus of all cavalry too. Horses were always vital to samurai warfare, as nearly all of them fought as cavalry before the Sengoku Jidai. The animals were highly valued, judging by the elaborate harnesses and trappings that their riders bought. Warhorses also had to be hardy to withstand the rigours of campaigning. Horses used by mounted archers were so well trained that the rider could control them while standing in the stirrups and firing his bow with both hands. Most samurai were good horsemen, and some were recognised by their fellows as exceptionally good: Tokugawa Ieyasu was widely regarded as a superb horseman. He obviously knew the value of a good horse, because a grave marker at Nikko in Tochigi prefecture shows the burial place of the horse he rode at the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600.

"Fine beasts indeed" noted Taketoshi, stroking the horse's nose. "With such horses under our command, Hattori fame and power will continue to grow."

With the capture of Awa, we now have a local source of the Warhorse trading goods, enabling us to make additional income from trade as well as construct the buildings which require it no matter our trading situation.

"Word from Taketoshi, my Lord" reported the messenger. "Awa is ours and the Miyoshi are no more."
"Good" replied Yasunaga, his face emotionless. "It will stand as a warning to those who would ignore our overtures of peace. One way or another, I will secure the place of the Hattori."

The Miyoshi have made a desperate gamble and lost. Another war draws to a close as the Hattori banner flies ever triumphant. Peace, however, will remain elusive, for the enemies of the Hattori are like the hydra, for every one we strike down, another moves to take its place.

Autumn of 1550

"Faster! Keep your arm straight!" bellowed the ninja master. "The blade will do the work, but you must guide it!"
The dojo was filled with all manner of men and weapons, the sounds of mock battle filling the air.
"Nakamitsu killed with grace and skill" continued the master. "Be where the enemy does not expect you and you will have no need to fear their strike!"

We continue to provide slow and steady economic growth with the construction of a Rice Exchange in Kii, while we further improve the skills of our kisho ninja recruits in Iga with a Ninjutsu School. Although we can't actually recruit Kisho Ninja in Iga just yet, it will provide a powerful boost to these already powerful units when we get the capacity to do so.

Cost: 1350

One of the possible second buildings in the Assassin chain, the Ninjutsu School further increases the experience bonuses for kisho ninja recruited in the province.

Ingame Encyclopaedia - Ninjutsu School posted:

Although ninja may be regarded as dangerous, troublesome and underhanded, there is no denying their usefulness to a daimyo. An enemy who meets a knife in the dark will be just as dead as one killed in battle. The ninja here can be encouraged along two paths: to become better killers, or to act as smugglers, and improve the income of the province. Ninja "clans" were not uncommon in Japan, as families tended to pass the secrets of ninjutsu between father and son. The matter was never openly talked about. Much of what is commonly believed about ninja is largely movie invention: even the ninjato, the ninja sword, has no proven historical basis. A ninja almost certainly carried a katana, the finest sword he could, if he carried a sword at all. Shuriken (darts, stars and other projectiles) were also carried and used. One, possibly apocryphal tale, illustrates the dedication and danger of the ninja. Having been hired to assassinate a lord, the ninja allegedly waited down a toilet, surrounded by faeces, for the bottom of his target to appear in the appropriate place, then thrust home his blade. The victim's death must have been surprising, agonizing and swift! The ninja must surely have been blessed with a strong stomach, or no sense of smell, to spend days in such hideous conditions.

"We will stand by and let the Ikko Ikki threaten us no longer" thundered Yasunaga, pointing to the sky. "Heaven favours the bold and the Hattori are the boldest of all the clans! We will protect what is ours, no matter the cost."

We bolster Yasunaga's forces in Omi further with an additional Hattori Bow Ashigaru. Slow but steady, we will soon be able to take the fight to the Ikko Ikki!

"The Ikko Ikki think they can push us around" announced the captain. "But they are sorely mistaken! We are Hattori warriors, the finest Japan has ever seen. The Ikko Ikki will fall before us, scattered as leaves under an autumn wind."

Our blockaded port of Ise produces a Medium Bune in the hopes of being able to force the blockade and restore the valuable Hojo trade route, the only source of the Crafts trade goods, which we require to make our more advanced economic buildings.

"My Lord, I bring terrible news" reported the messenger. "The treacherous Ikko Ikki have taken over the Hojo port that our ships trade with, rendering the trade agreement void."
"Without end the Ikko Ikki work to undo all that I have done to secure my family" fumed Yasunaga. "But I swear on the graves of my ancestors, I will not be defeated."

The Ikko Ikki have taken matters into their own hands however, conquering the Hojo province that housed the port we traded with. Although the Hojo have other ports that are open, trade routes are automatically broken if one side loses control of the trading port. Trade routes lost in such a way will need to be renegotiated, but luckily do not come with a diplomatic penalty.

"An archer of great renown, said to be the finest in all Japan, offers his services to us as a teacher" the attendant noted. "His demands are many and steep, but the knowledge he brings is of great value."
"Fortune is indeed cruel today" replied Yasunaga. "For I can not afford the price he commands. Send him my apologies and well wishes, for I do not wish to offend any master of Bushido."

An incredibly tempting offer, we are given the chance to produce rank 2 ranged units for a full 10 turns at the cost of 2500 koku. Unfortunately, that's just too expensive given our suddenly more precarious financial situation and the fact that we don't need to recruit many ranged troops over the next 10 turns. If we were about to raise another full stack army however, it would have been a simple choice. As it is, it's just not sensible at this time.

"We are sitting ducks out here" observed the captain. "Without men and materials, we are of little use to the clan. Helmsman, set course for the nearest port!"

Our Medium Bune is fairly damaged and is of limited combat effectiveness. It will need a friendly port for repairs (as ships don't replenish like land units) and so we set course for the local port in Awaji.

"Fortune and glory will soon be ours!" beamed the captain, head held high in the breeze. "Smell that sea air, breathe deep. That's the smell of profit!"

Our trade fleet moves ever closer to the Incense trade node, hoping to have to opportunity to make a solid profit. So far we have been lucky and they have not run into any enemy ships, but I'm not sure how much longer our luck can hold out.

"Full speed ahead" bellowed the captain. "We break this blockade or we die trying! The fortunes of the Hattori rest on our shoulders."

Now is our chance to break free from the blockade, as our 1 Medium Bune launches a desperate attack against the Ikko Ikki's 2 Bow Kobaya. We have the numbers advantage on paper, but it's far too close to an even fight to be completely confident.

Due to an AI bug, there is no battle to watch.
The snap of arrows whistled through the air, spattering over the deck.
"Keep the pressure up!" ordered the captain. "They can't take much more of this!"
"Sir, the enemy has turned round against the current" reported the first mate. "They have lost speed and are floundering."
"Ready the grapnels!" bellowed the captain. "Rowers, double time! Prepare to board!"

With the sea map almost completely devoid of features, there is little strategy here other than sail towards the enemy and attempt to board them if we get close enough. It's a raw firepower fight, as long as we keep our bow facing the enemy. Unluckily for me, I'm hit with an AI bug that has one of the Bow Kobayas attempting to withdraw while the other ship attempts to hold me off. The bug was that the withdrawing ship didn't actually withdraw, but instead sat on the edge of the map and sat there while I shot it to pieces, since it wouldn't let me board it.

The sounds of battle were deafening as the two ships crashed together, the Hattori soldiers swarming over the smaller Kobaya like ants upon helpless prey. The fighting was short, swift and brutal, over before the Ikko Ikki could even realise they were outmatched.

Despite the bug, I was able to board and capture the working Ikko Ikki vessel, adding it to our fleet. Although not very powerful, additional firepower in our very undermanned eastern fleet right now is incredibly valuable.

"A glorious victory today" cheered the captain. "Our victory songs will be heard from every tavern in the land! The Ikko Ikki have learnt they can't defeat the Hattori."

Our Medium Bune took very few casualties, thanks to the bug making it incredibly one sided. Bugs like this are very rare in Shogun 2, although with how much of a let down they tend to be when they do happen, it always feels a lot more common than it tends to be.

"A most unfortunate business, this war with the Ikko Ikki" noted the Hojo ambassador. "But our common foe will not get the better of us. I have here the documents allowing docking of Hattori trade ships at another of our ports."
"If we are to take the fight to the Ikko Ikki, we will need more than a document" replied Yasunaga. "Documents do not feed men, nor do they buy the weapons of war."
The Hojo ambassador smiled. "I have not come all this way without hearing of how you negotiate. I have also been authorised to present you this chest of gold, a token of our supreme appreciation towards your war efforts."
"I did not think you fools and you have not disappointed" noted Yasunaga. "I accept your gift and terms of trade. The Ikko Ikki will be as dust before us."

We need to re-establish our Hojo trade route in order to get access to the Crafts trade goods (for reasons which will become apparent next update) and we need access badly. In a stroke of incredible good fortune, the Hojo are also hurting badly for trading partners, so they stand to make an enormous sum of koku from us thanks to this agreement. As such, I'm able to get an absolutely fantastic up front payment from them of 2750 koku in exchange for the agreement, something that will help smooth out the turbulence of our economy immensely.

"Trade will benefit both our clans and bring our alliance together" noted the Takeda ambassador. "But we are equals in this. There will be no gifts, no sweeteners, just the word of two honest and equal clans."
"Of course the Takeda are right to expect such a deal" replied Yasunaga. "With all our clans bleeding from this war, who has the funds for niceties while men die? The Hattori accept your offer."

The Takeda are finally willing to trade, but they won't accept any offer other than the opening of trade and no sweeteners. I tried getting them to pay 1 koku just for fun, but they wouldn't dream of it, the cheapskates. Still, this further reinforces relations with them to reduce the chance of a backstab while I am dealing with the Ikko Ikki. A backstab is unlikely as the province of Owari, formerly Takeda owned, has fallen into Ikko Ikki hands, once again making the Ikko Ikki a force to be feared in the area.

"Omi is just ahead" noted the lieutenant. "Rumour is that something big is happening soon. Something we will be a part of."

We need Yasunaga's army to be big and we need it fast. The reinforcements we dispatched from Iga have arrived, bolstering Yasunaga's force by 2 Hattori Yari Ashigaru.

"Yasunaga is protected by mere peasants!" scoffed the samurai captain. "How can we hold our head high, when the Daimyo of our clan is not protected by the finest warriors in Japan?"
"What about the kisho ninja, sir?" questioned a solider. "Black devils that protect all the Hattori family."
"Kisho ninja, bah" spat the captain. "There is a line between practicality and honour. Those men have left the path of the true warrior."

In addition, the forces from Yamato also reach Omi, adding a Hattori Katana Samurai to Yasunaga's army.

The fortification was simple, rudimentary even, proof of the status of the poor province, which carried little in the way of wealth or importance.
"Simple or not, I have a mission to do" thought Chisato, slipping over the walls in shadow and moving into the heart of the fortification.
"I need to make a sow confusion and discord" she thought to herself. "Nothing brings chaos like fire."
Moving swiftly and silently, Chisato set dozens of small fires throughout the complex.
"Now to hope they notice too late" she thought.

I need to strike north, to eliminate the heart of the Ikko Ikki and take the valuable Crafts and Blacksmith provinces they hold, as well as cutting off their supply of monks. To that end, we send Chisato north to spy on both provinces. To my absolute delight, neither of the two provinces appear to have much in the way of defences! In order to keep it that way, Chisato is sent to sabotage the Wakasa fortification to prevent troop recruitment there this turn.

Click here to see the mission!

Luck was with her, as the fires grew and cries of alarm rang out throughout the fortification. Men rushed away from their post to battle the fire, only to realise that many other fires had sprung up near their posts. As Chisato retreated from the compound, the sky was lit with an orange glow as the flames consumed all that was not stone. It would take the Ikko Ikki many weeks to recover from the damage of this attack.

Success! With this region destabilised, we may well have just discovered the opportunity we need to strike back at the traitorous Ikko Ikki!

"You can't do this!" complained the archery teacher. "Without these lands, we have no effective way of raising samurai!"
"I don't make the orders" the guardsman replied. "I just follow them."

Taking Ikko Ikki lands is not just a matter of swords, but also of soul. The Ikko Ikki lands will need to be converted back to Shinto Buddhism, as otherwise they will require enormous garrisons to deal with the disaffected populace. To deal with that problem, we are going to need Monk agents, however I have neither the time nor the koku to build the required temple in my planned province of Yamato. Instead, we pull down the Yari Drill Yard in Ise, with a view to replacing it with a Temple. Although the Monk agents here are not going to be as good as the ones we could have got from Yamato, they will be better than normal and Ise will need a Temple to become the Warrior Monk training province I plan regardless.

Sneak Peak: No End In Sight...

shalcar fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 2, 2013

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your Light Cavalry and a bunch of other units have no experience on the Battle Deployment screen, yet the Battle Results screen shows they already had one chevron and gained another if they did.

I guess you are going to delete that unit and build replacements from Awa?

Medium Bunes are great ships, so long as they can board and your AI doesn't get retarded and stare at enemy ships. The interaction between the two ships seem so awkward and I don't think I can have two ships board at the same time.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Azran posted:

Shalcar, GS and me just finished our matches; I sent my replays already. He was a true gentleman damyio, and there was plenty of murdering, of course. :black101:

Lots of pixel-people died, a good time was had by all.

And then I came back and there was an LP update. Been a good evening, all told. Kinda harsh to lose a fifth of that army in one fight, but a direct assault would've been much worse and I don't see them going anywhere for the next few turns anyway.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

Your Light Cavalry and a bunch of other units have no experience on the Battle Deployment screen, yet the Battle Results screen shows they already had one chevron and gained another if they did.

The summary screen can be a little odd. Kills from the auto resolve section of the battle after its over are considered initial experience, rather than battle gained experience.

What you are seeing there is that after the combat they got enough kills to get a rank and during the combat they got enough kills to get a rank. It ends up being accurate for what they are right now, but it's a bit screwy for what they were before.

Since so many soldiers were killed in the post battle cleanup, it stands out a lot in this update.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Huh, bit of a screwup in the sally battle, but I guess everyone is human and are bound to make mistakes sometimes. Focusing on one aspect of the battle while forgetting about others happens, and watching for the Miyoshi cavalry while not paying attention to your own archers getting swarmed by enemy ashigaru made quite a number of your pixel mans die unnecessarily, but you still managed to pull off the victory due to sheer swarming of your enemies, I guess. The post battle rout cleanup was pretty nice as well, a lot of units got decent kills all around. Good to see your mistake didn't really cost you anything all that important, I guess.

Also, noticed a couple of typos in the first couple of your fluff entries this past update...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 2, 2013

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
How many variables are there in Shogun 2 when it comes to the general's pre-battle speech? There seems to be variation based on who is the opponent (I think all minor clans get the 'our foes are dishonourable'/'must make a stand, or history won't remember them' line, while playable clans get unique lines), army composition ('many good peasant faces') and some traits (Taketoshi's poetry about cherry blossoms), but are there more?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Promontory posted:

How many variables are there in Shogun 2 when it comes to the general's pre-battle speech? There seems to be variation based on who is the opponent (I think all minor clans get the 'our foes are dishonourable'/'must make a stand, or history won't remember them' line, while playable clans get unique lines), army composition ('many good peasant faces') and some traits (Taketoshi's poetry about cherry blossoms), but are there more?

I think the dishonorable line comes from the honor/integrity rating of your enemies, as seen from the diplomacy screen. If your enemies are dishonorable, that line will be used. But if they are honorable, then I think your general will use a line about how it is a shame you have to fight such an honorable foe or something like that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 2, 2013

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It also depends a lot on the clan. If you're fighting a major clan you can get some unique dialogue based on your clan's relationship with them ("I could never decide if the Oda were dishonorable cowards, or merely stupid. Probably both." :allears:) and in turn some major clans give their generals unique dialogue, such as Hattori generals talking about being stealthy or pumping up the clan.

On the flipside, if you're up against a minor clan, the speeches are a bit more lacking. As Ghost said, you just get the standard dishonorable/honorable/somewhere in between speech.

And of course there are other variables as well, such as weather, your army composition vs the enemies (for example, if your opponent has lots of cavalry but you have no spears, your general will bitch about it) what kind of map/terrain you're on, general traits, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sad, I missed the truly deranged speeches you get from earlier titles when the general is stark raving mad.

• Locked thread