Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Taketoshi's sheer badassery is finally going to his head. Still, he's unlikely to run into Metsuke who could flip his allegiance down in the Chosokabe lands. Also how close is Yasunaga to four stars himself? I imagine that by the time you're finished stomping out the Ikko, Yasunaga will have proved himself worthy enough that Taketoshi will back down. Also I love how right as you start to have loyalty problems, the game offers up ambitious mistress. Shogun 2 trolls you because it loves you. :allears:

Also I'm totally embarassed to admit I had no idea that religious buffed the inspire ability. That's actually pretty nice. Not infantry leader nice, but nice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

shalcar posted:

Religious will let Taketoshi inspire his troops more powerfully, giving us more power when we need it most, as well as converting the local population to Shinto-Buddhism, essential against the Ikko Ikki and Christian factions.

Given that the war with the Ikko-Ikki is wrapping up, I assume that Taketoshi will be expected to fight the Otomo and their heathen ways, am I right?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Given that the war with the Ikko-Ikki is wrapping up, I assume that Taketoshi will be expected to fight the Otomo and their heathen ways, am I right?

We certainly need to be prepared for the possibility! The Otomo have been making aggressive diplomatic demands, so I'm expecting war soon, certainly when RD hits. The current response to all Otomo demands has roughly been "Get stuffed, we could take you in a fight."

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Just so you know guys, Total War Shogun 2 will be 75% off on Steam during the next 39 hours as of this posting. If you wanted to play this game, but didn't have the money, now's your chance.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 22, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shameful display for the lack of DLC though.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

A shameful display for the lack of DLC though.

True, but the whole collection is 75% off, so for the price of the Rise of the Samurai campaign you can just get everything! :science:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, you can only have a single unit of home guard? Even the weakest provinces in Rise at least had three units of levy.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Wow, you can only have a single unit of home guard? Even the weakest provinces in Rise at least had three units of levy.

It's something the later versions (Rise and Fall) sought to address, as the very low garrison counts of vanilla make defending a more arduous and expensive process than perhaps it needs to be. While I can understand the theory of a small number of garrison troops helping encourage aggressive play after the complete dominance of turtling in earlier titles, in practise it led to more frustration for players when they struck Realm Divide and the time limit dealt with turtling.

It's part of why that Amako punch through is so terrifying, because even my moderately developed provinces have a whopping 2 or 4 garrison!

e: I could talk about how Rise made all these little polished improvements all day :allears:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

shalcar posted:

It's something the later versions (Rise and Fall) sought to address, as the very low garrison counts of vanilla make defending a more arduous and expensive process than perhaps it needs to be. While I can understand the theory of a small number of garrison troops helping encourage aggressive play after the complete dominance of turtling in earlier titles, in practise it led to more frustration for players when they struck Realm Divide and the time limit dealt with turtling.

It's part of why that Amako punch through is so terrifying, because even my moderately developed provinces have a whopping 2 or 4 garrison!

e: I could talk about how Rise made all these little polished improvements all day :allears:

The annoying thing about Rise's garrisons was that I couldn't turtle against a massive army, then send a few battered troops to take the province the enemy just vacated. Not awful, just annoying. I do agree that Rise is well-polished. I did end up with gigantic amounts of food by the end of my first game, though.

One more thing. I had a weird thing happen to me in Rise. It's my first game, I'm playing the eastern Fujiwara, I'm playing on easy to get the feel of things, and I'm far along into Realm Divide. This isn't bad, I have a high level Junsatsushi who can bribe/payoff any problems on my western front, along with a level six monk and several of my armies. (I actually ended getting several stacks worth of bribed troops, including several regiments of Mounted Naginata and Tomoe Gozen.) The thing is, my sister clan decides to attack one of my vassals. I side with my vassal in order that I don't have two clans attacking my very lightly defended core provinces. I expected my income, currently at about 2200 koku a turn, to drop due to the loss of my trading route. Instead, my incomes triples to about 6500 koku a turn. How on earth does that happen?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

shalcar posted:

I haven't played Rise, but making province garrisons actually kinda useful is one of the things Rome 2 does that I really like. Almost makes up for not allowing general-less stacks.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I expected my income, currently at about 2200 koku a turn, to drop due to the loss of my trading route. Instead, my incomes triples to about 6500 koku a turn. How on earth does that happen?

There are two things that could have happened to do that. The first is that a land trade route has turned into a sea trade route and the second is that you are now trading all the old land trade route goods with sea instead of into your sister clan via land. The reason for the big jump is that developed trading ports add 80 koku to the value of each trade good going through it, so the 50ish goods that used to be consumed by your sister clan are now being consumed by other clans at a higher rate.

The tradeoff is that sea routes are harder to defend and you lose all their income if either end is blockaded, unlike land trade which can't be interrupted.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

shalcar posted:

There are two things that could have happened to do that. The first is that a land trade route has turned into a sea trade route and the second is that you are now trading all the old land trade route goods with sea instead of into your sister clan via land. The reason for the big jump is that developed trading ports add 80 koku to the value of each trade good going through it, so the 50ish goods that used to be consumed by your sister clan are now being consumed by other clans at a higher rate.

The tradeoff is that sea routes are harder to defend and you lose all their income if either end is blockaded, unlike land trade which can't be interrupted.

That's a good explanation, except I'm pretty sure all my trades routes were land routes. I can't quite remember exactly, but thank you for answering my question.

And yes, sea routes are hard to defend. There's nothing more infuriating than a badly damaged, half-dead trade ship strolling past your fleets and blockading one of your ports and causing you to lose 2000 koku the next turn. :argh:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Support of the Temples

Autumn of 1551

"The need of the people has never been more dire" noted a monk, watching the workmen put the finishing touches on the newly constructed temple. "The ludicrous ideas of the foreigners and the Ikko Ikki have no idea of the true order of Heaven and Earth."
"The Hattori do well to favour the old ways" agreed another. "Heaven will reward their wisdom, but only in it's own time."

Right before the Amako invasion, a large number of building were put in motion to further our efforts to conquer Japan, the fastest building of which are built this turn. Yamato, currently the only producer of Katana Samurai in the empire, finishes the badly needed Roads upgrade, allowing us to ferry our troops to critically needed areas quicker. If the Amako invasion has taught us anything, it's that our transit infrastructure is completely lacking, with troops taking far too long to reach hotspots when the situation changes rapidly. If we manage to survive this, it's something we will need to rectify. Awaji completes construction of a Sake Den, allowing us to field another Ninja agent and marginally increasing the wealth of that province. Chisato has shown one thing, we need more ninja, badly. If we had a few more even half as good as her, our situation would be much stronger. With Realm Divide so close, we are going to need every edge we can get. Lastly, Ise constructs a Buddhist Temple, the Buddhist religious building. Not only is this the first step towards being able to produce Warrior Monk units, but it allows the recruitment of the Monk agent. Monk agents not only allow the conversion of provinces to the Buddhist faith (something that will help us stamp out the Ikko and any Christians) but they can also cause peasant uprising and reduce the morale of enemy armies. Ise, with its Holy Site speciality, will allow us to recruit Monk agents of slightly higher skill despite the fact that we have chosen to pursue the warrior monk side of that building tree.

Cost: 850

The first building in the Buddhist chain, the Buddhist Temple increases the happiness of the province, converts the province towards Buddhism, increases the rate of research for Chi arts and allows the recruitment of an additional Monk agent (up to a maximum of five).

In-game encyclopaedia - Buddhist Temple posted:

Construction of a temple enables the training of monks. These Buddhist agents can spread the faith, or comfort and inspire believers; they can also spread revolt and despair among enemies. The temple itself is a place of solitude and contemplation, the perfect place to consider the world and a man's place in it.

Everyone turns to the gods in their hour of need. In the sixth century, when Prince Shotoku of the Soga needed help to banish anti-Buddhist elements from Japan, he called on the fearsome Bishamon to aid him in his efforts. Originally the protector of the north, Bishamon became the protector of the law who guarded people from illness and demons. He was also worshipped as a war god, and was one of the Shichi Fukujin, the seven deities of happiness and good luck. He normally appeared as a blue-faced warrior with a spear and a pagoda. These items represented his dual personality, half warrior, half monk, but always a protector of the faithful.

"The soldiers of the Hattori are powerful, but none are as impressive as the samurai!" boomed the samurai captain. "We are perfect warriors and we will not let the Hattori down!"

Our economy is now on a critical total war footing as we struggle to recover from the disaster that has befallen us. 4 Hattori Yari Ashigaru, 5 Hattori Bow Ashigaru and 1 Hattori Katana Samurai are recruited, appearing in almost all of our provinces with the intention of hopefully stopping the Amako incursion. Recruiting this many troops is incredibly expensive, both in terms of the initial recruitment costs and also in upkeep. With our economy buffeted by this unexpected emergency, we can't keep this up for long.

"Congratulations on your promotion, Captain" stated the fleet admiral, saluting. "Your Bune will be a welcome addition for the battles ahead."

Even our shipyards have been busy, producing a Medium Bune to help improve our woefully small eastern fleet near Ise.

"My Lord, I have news" stated the messenger. "The Ouchi have been crushed."
Yasunaga nodded. "We had few dealings with the Ouchi, but any other clan mustering power is always bad news for the Hattori."

The Ouchi are no more, power consolidating in the hands of increasingly few. It's a stark reminder that while I'm dealing with the Amako, the other clans are far from idle.

"That last storm did her in, Captain" reported the first mate. "She's got a break at the waterline."
The captain grimaced. "How bad?"
"We were able to patch it with a sail sling and some fancy carpentry, but it's a slow leak" replied the first mate. "She will need constant bailing. Several men were lost dragging the sling."

Our poor little Trade Ship, forced to retreat into deep waters has suffered loss of crew and hull strength. While a single turn of attrition is usually not too much to worry about, several turns can cripple even the most powerful vessels.

"We can't head back to shore" stated the captain. "If we run into that Amako ship we won't stand a chance. Set sail north towards the trade lanes, let's get this job done."

Our damaged Trade Ship limps towards the safety of numbers, joining the others on our trade node. Although the Amako ship could easily take one in combat, taking half a dozen is another matter entirely. Now that they know where our weak ships are though, it won't be long before another larger fleet arrives to cut the last tether of our rapidly weakening economy.

"Your ship was finished at just the right time, Captain" noted the fleet commander. "The Ikko Ikki have blockaded us in this port and I hear rumours they are launching a ground attack on Omi."
"Troubled times, sir" replied the captain. "But I find troubles are best shared. I plan on sharing mine with the Ikko Ikki."
The fleet commander smiled. "I like your style, captain."

To make matters worse, the Ikko Ikki have launched a two pronged assault, blockading our port in Ise which has denied us all the trade income it would have made this turn, as well as launching at attack against Omi. I've stripped every soldier I could spare from Omi, so this could hardly have come at a worse time. Luckily I have not been neglecting the defences of Omi, so we are not completely helpless.

"We march to our finest hour" bellowed Taketoshi. "I have led you this far and now victory is close. I will lead you all the way. MOVE OUT!"

We have no choice, even without accurate scouting information, we simply need the valuable Wood and tax income from Tosa, as well as the chance of closing off one front. Taketoshi is the man for the job, taking every soldier we can muster to make sure the job is done right. If we can do this, not only will we have secured the entire island of Shikoku, but we will have freed up Taketoshi to lend his mighty power to our war against the Amako. Perhaps we can show them what it feels like to lose a home.

"My Lord, the Chosokabe have a reinforcement army on the way" reported the scout. "They will arrive early tomorrow morning."
"We attack tonight then, my Lord?" asked the samurai captain. "I request permission to lead the men over the walls in the vanguard."
"Attack at night?" Taketoshi laughed. "No, this is too perfect. We can fight them all at once, strike a decisive blow and obliterate every last Chosokabe. I'll see every last one dead by my hand if I must."
"Is that wise, my Lord?" questioned the captain. "Surely we should take advantage of our good fortune and have the enemy forced to come to us once we are inside the walls?"
"You don't see Heaven's plan" replied Taketoshi. "My faith has brought us this opportunity to fulfil my vow of the eradication of the Chosokabe and I won't let that go to waste."

It was too good to be true, the Chosokabe do have a small force of samurai ready to defend their final province. Taketoshi's 1 Light Cavalry, 3 Hattori Katana Samurai, 8 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 4 Hattori Bow Ashigaru should still be more than a match for the Chosokabe's 3 Yari Samurai, 1 Samurai Retainers, 2 Yari Ashigaru and 1 Bow Ashigaru. Despite their fortress, the green Chosokabe soldiers are going to be no match for the grizzled Hattori veterans. At least on this front, the war is looking very good for us indeed.

Click here to see the battle!
"I'm moving to take command of the eastern portion of our forces" stated Taketoshi. "You have your wish, Captain. The castle is yours to take. Do not fail me."
"You waiting for an invitation?" bellowed the samurai captain. "Let's go take the castle. Spearmen, over the walls! Archers, covering fire!"
As one, the Hattori forces surged towards the castle, the outer walls seeming to be covered in ants, the black lacquer of the Hattori forces drinking in the early morning light.

The fortification is far less forgiving for the attacker than the map would indicate, with many steep walls and thin corridors making overwhelming numbers difficult to take advantage of. Luckily for us, half of the Chosokabe force is a relief force that will start at the edge of the map, giving us the opportunity to isolate them and eliminate them piece by piece.

"Here come the reinforcements!" shouted Taketoshi, gleefully. "We will show them the fury of the Hattori!"
Spurring his horse forward, Taketoshi and his bodyguard slammed into the Chosokabe forces with a mighty crash, the sounds of battle deafening as the Hattori infantry joined the fray. Gore splattered his armour as his blade dealt killing blow after killing blow, Chosokabe falling as wheat to the reaper.
"Don't let them escape!" bellowed Taketoshi. "Leave none alive!"

Killing enemy soldiers at a 2 to 1 rate is impressive when attacking even a basic fortification, let alone a mighty fortress! The combination of our veteran troops and the insufficient number of garrison troops to take advantage of the castle design meant that we performed far better than you would expect. Despite that, this army is showing the signs of having waged a full campaign against an entire opposing clan and is now barely battleworthy for anything bigger than a minor clan. It will take time to replenish this force, but time is something we have precious little of. Can the pure force of Taketoshi outweigh the limitations of his army?

"The outer concourse is secured, sir" reported the sergeant. "Heavy losses for the 4th and 6th ashigaru units, but the defenders don't have much left."
"Looks like we have one gate left to secure" stated the samurai captain, adjusting his armour and hefting his sword. "It's time to take care of it. Ready up the 1st, 3rd and the samurai. Let's get this done."

Yari ashigaru did the heavy lifting, making up the bulk of both the kills and the deaths. Not even our veteran units could escape the need to be pressed into service this time, with one of our best veterans losing over a third and another over half of their total troops.

The samurai captain looked around, bodies littering the concourses in grotesque displays. He sighed. It was better not to look too closely, best not to see the face of someone you recognised. The dreams were less vivid that way. He turned to face the thundering of hooves. Taketoshi peered down at him.
"I see you did your job" stated Taketoshi. "I did mine. What's our situation here?"
"The province is ours, my Lord" replied the captain. "The barracks facilities and lumber-yards are extensive. This place is tuned for war."
"And now it is ours" noted Taketoshi. "Good."

The sacrifice was worth it with the province of Tosa providing a critical shot in the arm for our economy. The province wealth is respectable, but perhaps biggest of all is the Prime Forests speciality, meaning that the province produces the Wood trade good. Not only did we not have access to wood and the superior shipbuilding facilities that it allows, but our somewhat extensive trade network is able to consume all the wood we produce. This additional wealth will go a long way towards offsetting the costs this war is having. As luck would have it, the Chosokabe had even fully upgraded their wood producing facilities to get maximum value from the province. Even better news for us, Tosa is hugely developed with the capacity to produce Naginata Troops which are beyond our current art mastery and a full complement of military facilities for the replenishment and recruitment of both troops and ships. Should Shikoku be invaded, Tosa is more than equipped to generate an army to fight off even the most determined force.

Tosa contains a Fortress, Archery Dojo, Naginata Dojo, Stables, Improved Irrigation (Average Soil), Post Roads and Stations, Military Port and Sawmills.

Cost: 2000

The Naginata Dojo is the second building in the Yari chain and allows the recruitment of Naginata Samurai and Naginata Warrior Monks (with Monastery).

In-game encyclopaedia - Naginata Dojo posted:

This dojo allows the recruitment of naginata-armed samurai units; if there is a large enough temple in the province, naginata-armed monks can also be trained. The naginata itself is a fearsome weapon, and requires considerable training to use effectively in battle. It is also a weapon favoured by samurai women for "home defence" when their men are on campaign. It should not, however, be considered in any way effeminate because of that!

To the untrained eye, the naginata looks like a spear with a wickedly sharp sword instead of a point. It can be used as a spear, of course, to thrust into an enemy or braced to receive a charge, but it is at its most effective when an adept uses it to cut and parry. Anyone facing a naginata has to deal with something that can cut and slash at a greater range than any sword, and be used to block any counterattack: the shaft is as much a part of the weapon's strength as the blade itself! Traditionally, it was considered an extremely useful weapon against mounted enemies.

Cost: 2000

Sawmills is the final building in the Timber chain, further increasing the wealth of the province, the number of wood trade goods produced and even further reducing the cost of building ships in the province.

In-game encyclopaedia - Sawmills posted:

If the kodama are properly respected, the forests in this province will flourish. With the right investment, the lumbermen will be able to harvest enough good trees to reduce the cost of any vessels constructed. As the lumberyard and sawmill are developed, the costs of ships will be greatly lessened. Not all timber taken from a forest will be suitable for shipbuilding: for some European designs, for example, quite specific trunk-and-bough shapes are required for certain parts of the vessel, but wastage can be minimised.

It also takes time for cut timber to dry out and season properly for use in shipbuilding. While green timber can be used, it tends to warp and distort as it dries, making it difficult for shipwrights, or any other builders, to work straight.

"We now have the facilities for the bulk export of the lumber produced here" noted the captain. "It's good wood, strong for shipbuilding and for large structures like docks. It should fetch a solid price from other clans as well."

With the addition of this Wood to our trade network, we have finally made a step forward in our economic standing. While it's not going to undo all the economic damage we have suffered, it's welcome relief for our struggling treasury.

"The Chosokabe messed with me and now they are dust" stated Taketoshi flatly, his eyes looking towards the horizon. "All Japan must scare their children with stories of my name, the destroyer of entire clans!"

A major clan falls beneath our iron boot! This is the price of war with the Hattori and Japan would do well to take note!

"My Lord, most urgent news" reported the scout breathlessly. "The Chosokabe Daimyo is alive and fleeing for the docks. He must seek escape on a vessel!"

One man refuses to believe however, as the Chosokabe Daimyo, all alone, has decided to wage a guerrilla war against us. This can not stand.

"Form up the men" demanded Taketoshi. "We must give chase!"
"The men are exhausted, my Lord" responded the captain. "He is mounted, we will never catch him."
"You won't" stated Taketoshi. "But I will. Gather my bodyguard, we ride!"

Only one man is good enough to bring a rogue Daimyo to heel. Taketoshi sets off with his bodyguard to keep his promise, the total elimination of every Chosokabe.

"There he is!" boomed Taketoshi. "Charge!"

With Taketoshi's bodyguard being the most elite of the elite, the Chosokabe Daimyo shouldn't stand a chance.

No battle recording.
The Chosokabe fought Daimyo fought like a demon possessed with an unearthly fury, his blows flurried, his attacks brutal. Taketoshi's blade parried each blow, when a powerful stroke shattered Taketoshi's blade. Throwing the useless hilt at the Daimyo, Taketoshi tried to get some distance, but the blow was not to be avoided. A weight slammed into Taketoshi, taking him from his horse, the impact knocking the wind from his lungs.
"This is it" he thought. "I never thought it would be this painless."

Both units charge at each other with a resounding clash, there is no finesse here, this is personal.

But the weight was that of a bodyguard, his body lifeless, the blow intended for his master foiled. Taketoshi could only watch on in helplessness as the Daimyo's attacks dispatched two more of his bodyguards before finally being brought down.

Somehow, 3 bodyguards fall before the Chosokabe Daimyo can be taken down. Even on their own, generals and Daimyos are dangerous foes.

Taketoshi kicked the lifeless Chosokabe corpse.
"The Chosokabe draw breath no more!" he yelled. "I beat you. I won. I have done my duty."
He kicked the corpse again.
"This war was your fault" he screamed. "You made me disobey orders! You gave me no choice!"

The loss of experienced men bites deep, but we had no choice. No other unit had the movement range to reach the fight and the cost of even a single turns interruption far outweighs those brave bodyguard.

The messenger's horse had been visible for some time, the cloud of dust seen from some distance away.
"My Lord, I bring urgent news" reported the messenger, his horse covered in sweat, flecks of spittle at the edge of it's mouth. "We don't have much time."
"Report, soldier" ordered Korekata. "Tell me what I need to know."
"The Amako have left Settsu and are marching at full speed for Kii" babbled the messenger. "Our forces are still gathering at Kawachi, Kii is almost defenceless!"
"Then we have no options left" stated Korekata after a few moments silence, his face hardened around the edges. "Take a new horse and order all forces in Kawachi to march for Settsu immediately."
"But they will surely be obliterated when the Amako retake the province" noted the messenger. "It's a death sentence."
"Yes" replied Korekata. "It is. In addition, I have another message you need to deliver. Now go, time is of the essence!"

Yet even in our small triumph the Amako situation worsens. Instead of attacking Kawachi where our forces have mustered, the Amako launch a raid south through the trees towards Kii! This is a disaster, as Kii is one of the most valuable provinces we own but all of the defenders have moved to Kawachi. We can't lose Kii as well as Settsu or everything will collapse. We can't take on the Amako in the open field without reinforcements, but the reinforcements have not yet arrived. We don't have time, we need a last ditch desperate gamble, we need to take Settsu from underneath their noses and force them to turn around.

This plan buys us time, but leaves us weaker than ever. Korekata isn't in position and won't have an army when he is! The centre is falling and we need a miracle. Taketoshi, Yasunaga, where are you?

Sneak Peek: A Desperate Gamble...

shalcar fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 4, 2014

LokAmir
Oct 9, 2012

shalcar posted:

"Congratulations on your promotion, Capatin" stated the fleet admiral, saluting. "Your Bune will be a welcome addition for the battles ahead."

I belive this is meant to say Captain. Great to see a new update though, been looking forward to it.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:suspense:

This is awesome! I'm genuinely fascinated to see how this plays out.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

That castle is interesting. Its very easy to defend as a human, but the AI is terrible at defending it. Virtually no matter the garrison it can be taken without losses by putting most of your forces out front and looking menacing while setting 2 units of ashigaru up the backside to take the Tenshu.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

shalcar posted:

I'm lovin the Chosokabe Daimyo sitting alone on a folding chair on the beach, holding his flag and glaring.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I liked Taketoshi's little freakout at the end there. Dude is becoming a little unhinged, methinks. :stare:

This game. :allears:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nice job in eliminating the Chosokabe, and not taking too many losses in the process with that tough fortification. Catching the reinforcing army in the woods and swarming their Yari Samurai with your own Katana Samurai was a good move. Too bad you couldn't kill off the Chosokabe Daimiyo in that battle, but you finished him off with Taketoshi by himself. Lost 3 bodyguards in the process, but the guy finally went down.

Tosa looks like a good province to take and hold, too. That wood will help you fill your coffers and its a good spot for recruitment too.

The Amako marching on Kii is troubling, but if Koretaka can pull off the attack on Settsu he's planning, it might not be too bad. You're likely to lose a bunch of ashigaru in that attack and when you defend against the Amako stack both if it continues to march forward on Kii or turns around to retake Settsu. Most of your provinces on that front only have a minor garrison as well, right?n This is going to be difficult to pull off...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It feels kind of weird that you can only find forests in provinces that also have ports.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

shalcar posted:

"The Chosokabe messed with me and now they are dust" stated Taketoshi flatly, his eyes looking towards the horizon. "All Japan must scare their children with stories of my name, the destroyer of entire clans!"

It feels so weird to hear the phrase "messed with me" coming out of the mouth of a 16th century samurai.

I remember one game where I decided to leave an enemy daimyo and two of his bodyguards alive after a battle, thinking "what could they possibly do?" He proceeded to wreck three different buildings on the way out of the province. That means that three guys on their own just went around burning stuff for three months.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

It feels so weird to hear the phrase "messed with me" coming out of the mouth of a 16th century samurai.

I remember one game where I decided to leave an enemy daimyo and two of his bodyguards alive after a battle, thinking "what could they possibly do?" He proceeded to wreck three different buildings on the way out of the province. That means that three guys on their own just went around burning stuff for three months.

"Trifled with," or, "stood against," would probably be more apt, yes.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

The Casualty posted:

"Trifled with," or, "stood against," would probably be more apt, yes.

Furthermore, "Dared to cross..." or "Had the utter gall to stand against..." or even, "Fie! They dared to challenge me, the wretched curs!"

Great castle assault, very enjoyable to watch. Now, how close to Realm Divide are you?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Great castle assault, very enjoyable to watch. Now, how close to Realm Divide are you?

As of the last update we are 2 provinces from Realm Divide. It's not the position I wanted to be in before it all falls down (even more).

e:

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Furthermore, "Dared to cross..." or "Had the utter gall to stand against..." or even, "Fie! They dared to challenge me, the wretched curs!"

I probably should have gone with my earlier draft.

"We meet for the first time for the last time, Mr Chosokabe" sneered Taketoshi. "My name is Momochi Taketoshi, you killed my father, prepare to die."

shalcar fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 5, 2014

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

shalcar posted:

As of the last update we are 2 provinces from Realm Divide. It's not the position I wanted to be in before it all falls down (even more).

Does recapturing provinces you lost count against that limit?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

StarFyter posted:

Does recapturing provinces you lost count against that limit?

It does, yeah. Realm Divide happens at ~15 provinces (give or take one in either direction depending on things like Heroic victories etc which also push you towards RD).

e: That is to say, if you are at 14 provinces, the next one will push you over. If you lose a province and are down to 13, you now need to capture another 2 provinces to trigger RD.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 5, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

shalcar posted:

Yikes, that sounds like all you need to do to trigger Realm Divide is to take back Settsu and then capture an Ikko province... And your army isn't quite in position for all of Japan to declare war on you yet, though you should be ok if you get Taketoshi back to your front on southern Honshu and Koretaka does his job against the Amako stack threatening you. Still, in order to help bring about the latter, you needed to denude your core provinces of units, so all you have in that area is garrison ashigaru. And you aren't that far down the tech tree either, plus you only have one facility on Honshu for making Katana Samurai. This is going to be quite tough, even more so than Realm Divide is usually, I would think.

quote:

"We meet for the first time for the last time, Mr Chosokabe" sneered Taketoshi. "My name is Momochi Taketoshi, you killed my father, prepare to die."

That would've been hilarious. Love a good Princess Bride reference.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 5, 2014

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Hey everyone,

I'm currently house sitting for my parents for the next 3 weeks and so don't have access to my pc and lp equipment. I had hoped to be able to get the next update out before this, but that didn't happen, which is going to make the cliff hanger in it really goofy.

As such, the lp is on hold for the next 3 weeks. At this rate I feel like I'm going for Spirit Armors record :allears:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
That's fine, the LP is worth waiting for. It's nice to know that the relays aren't due to personal or equipment problems. have a pleasant house sitting :).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

shalcar posted:

Hey everyone,

I'm currently house sitting for my parents for the next 3 weeks and so don't have access to my pc and lp equipment. I had hoped to be able to get the next update out before this, but that didn't happen, which is going to make the cliff hanger in it really goofy.

As such, the lp is on hold for the next 3 weeks. At this rate I feel like I'm going for Spirit Armors record :allears:

Well, at least that means that I won't have to worry about missing any part of this LP when I'm out of town for the next two weeks or so and I'm not sure if I'll have access to the Internet.

We'll be here waiting patiently for the next update, shalcar. Take all the time you need.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

So while we're waiting, does anyone have a crazy and/or awesome Shogun 2 story they'd like to tell?

I remember playing a Shimazu game on Normal (it was my second go through) and was fighting the Hattori. One of my provinces is right next to one of theirs, which is currently empty. So I strip most of the garrison and send it to the province. That's when I learned that the province wasn't so empty and my force is ambushed.

So my force of 4 Yari Ashigaru, 1 Katana Samurai, and 1 Bow Samurai is ambushed by a force of 4 Yari Ashi, 2 Yari Sam, 1 Bow Sam, and 1 Bow Ashi. So I'm thinking that my force is boned, because I'm outnumbered and since I'm ambushed, I can't arrange my units. Bear in mind neither army has a general.

So I start the match and immediately notice the 4 Yari Ashi on one side, and the captain on the other side. For some reason I forgot about the rest of the enemy troops. So I send my 4 Yari Ashi and my Kat Sam to deal with the enemy Yari Ashi, while my Bow Sam deals with the captain. When I then see that the captain isn't alone. At this point I realize there's only one option: get the Yari Ashi to route. What follows is me frantically telling the enemy Yari Ashi to flee before the captain comes over and my guys are flanked. This is also where I learn that Shimazu Kat Sam are awesome. Shortly after, the badly mauled enemy Yari Ashi decided to flee, and I'm only left with the two Yari Sam and the two archer companies. Speaking of them, they didn't do a lot due to the fact that they were shooting over a hill into my guys, giving them a poor angle. So my melee forces outnumber theirs and I'm able to flank and destroy them. Heroic Victory.

I then notice I have enough movement points to attack the castle. I do so and the remnants of the Hattori reinforce the castle. However, their force is much smaller while mine is mostly unchanged, so a minute of fighting and they're done. I take the castle. So a situation I thought was bad turned out to be just fine.

Looking back on it, though, I really won due to the AI's stupidity, not my tactical genius. It broke one of the commandments of Shogun 2, "thou shalt not split thy forces unless thou hast a really good reason for doing so." I think ambushes are actually some of the easiest fights in the game, because it's so easy to divide and conquer. But at the time? I felt soooo gooood.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Shimazu games are always interesting. I once had my capital attacked, where the only defenders where a smallish defense force of Ashi, a one star general, and my 13 year old heir who had just come of age one turn ago. Because they were both one star and heir > general, my 13 year old was commanding the defense. It was brutal as all hell, with the general sacrificing himself and killing four bow levy before being surrounded and downed by yari ashi. What ensured was the grindfight of my life, where I won by the skin of my teeth but with 95% of my force decimated. The next turn two kat sam are recruited and my son goes out and cleans up the tattered remnants. My son gets his second command star, and also the trait "War is slaughter", which instills fear in the enemy. So at age 13 the kid's already seen more death than anybody else in Japan. :smith:

He would go on to become my best general, and after my daimyo died and he succeeded him, he carved a bloody swath to Kyoto and showed the Shogun just how exactly war is slaughter. :black101:

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011
Tried a game as the Otomo, and after one attempt that saw me absolutely decimated (didn't realize exactly how much EVERYONE hates them) I figured my best bet was to rush one of my two northern neighbors, in particular the Shioni to the west. I blitzed forth with the largest army I could muster and not completely leave my provinces undefended. I noticed the capital looked largely undefended, which allowed me to send some of my troops back to Buzen (where an attack across the strait looked inevitable). Unfortunately for me, the AI was using the standard strategy of leaving its giant fuckoff army just outside of town, so as to ambush forces coming through. Once committed to the attack, retreating would have only gotten my force slaughtered on their movement phase, and reinforcements were a long way off.

On lining up my forces, however, I noticed that the direction I expected the AI's reinforcements to come from involved climbing a steep hill bordered by a thick forest and a huge cliff. Archers were deployed on the cliff, the Otomo's starting matchlock ashi behind a wall of yari ashi, and a couple of my remaining yari hiding in the forest. They had far numerical superiority for numbers, but I hoped the hill and bow advantage would be enough.

I had split off my general into a separate stack before the fight to allow him to run back for home if necessary, which caused him to show up as a reinforcement in the far edge of the forest area. All three of the opposing generals took that as their cue to blitz him with everything they had, which ran them right into three hundred guys with spears. Demoralized by the loss of their general, many of the enemy forces broke shortly after engaging my line, and from some quirk of the AI or map design, caused them to want to try and retreat to the opposite side of the map... through my spear wall. By the end of the fight when I finally turned my attention to the remaining forces in the fort, some 1600 troops had been butchered with about a hundred thirty losses, and is the most one-sided bloodbath I've encountered playing.

I'm still pretty new to Shogun 2 in general, but that one fight fully impressed upon me that it's often better to just sit your rear end inside your fort instead of faffing about trying to ambush someone, or you could find yourself on the wrong end of the terrain advantage

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Shogun 2's in the latest Humble Bundle.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Genaro posted:

I'm still pretty new to Shogun 2 in general, but that one fight fully impressed upon me that it's often better to just sit your rear end inside your fort instead of faffing about trying to ambush someone, or you could find yourself on the wrong end of the terrain advantage

It's always better to fight inside your fort than anywhere else if you have a choice. Six long games and I have never been able to use an ambush effectively. Not to mention that the AI is very dumb when it comes to using its reinforcements. In a siege battle, instead of consolidating its armies together and then attacking, it will send its main force up to the castle walls as it normally would and run its reinforcements allll the way to the castle, meaning they're exhausted by the time they get to the walls.

I assuming by your post that you attacked the castle thinking it was empty, when the main enemy army had in fact parked itself within reinforcement range, not that you were ambushed (which is set up entirely differently from a normal battle.) Of all the situations when dealing castles with large guards, having them come as reinforcements is the best one. They don't have the morale boost (90% of the reason why taking castles is more difficult than fighting in the field), and they have a tendency to come to your guys or be easily intercepted. I'm not saying you didn't do a good job (and you did do a good job), but that was one of the best setups you can get for that kind of situation.

That makes me think of another ambush I encountered as the Mori. I had just built the Katana Cavalry Hero, and I was moving him from the Yamato province to Omi Province in central Japan. When I ordered him to move, he was ambushed by the entire Ashikaga army. I thought to myself "Crap". However, the KCH did quite well for himself, and he and his men killed 4 different generals and then spent the rest of the match running circles around the enemy army. Sadly, the main general refused to budge from the back of the army, where he was guarded by several yari and naginata samurai. I ended up winning via time out. Thank goodness for the fast forward button.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Bet he got some drat good exp for that battle.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Zebrin posted:

Bet he got some drat good exp for that battle.

Sadly, he did not. As far as I can remember, battles won by time out do not give you the kills that winning by causing a rout does. In addition, I'm fairly sure that it takes more xp for heroes to rank up. Had I been using the Onna Bushi Heroine, I may have been able to use her bow to kill the main general. Combined with a loss of all generals and the morale penalty caused by exhaustion, I might have been able to cause a chain rout with a lucky flank. But the KBH just has katanas, which are deadly but not very good at dealing with spears, which a bow might be able to deal with.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Just caught up with this again. Excellent stuff as usual.

And don't worry, shalcar, you've got a long way to go before you're even nudging at Wiz's LP completion times! Or god forbid, any of the Sims LPs.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
After Prior Reflection I'm Leaving, Finally Overwhelmed Onto Leaving Shogun.

As such, I can't continue the LP since I can no longer summon the drive to put forth the effort you all deserve. It's been a real honour to LP for you all and I thank you all for your continued and wonderful support. With newer, more polished games like Rome 2 really stealing the spotlight from Shogun, I'm just not sure how I could really compete moving forward into synergising this new paradigm.

The month off hath put a spirit of youth in everything. Honestly, I feel quite like a clown.

I'll be keeping the thread open to continue with the tournament which life had previously not left me able to complete and I'm excited to share with you all my next LP after I have taken a suitable break.

That's right, Sim Earth.

A massive parlimentary style LP, with the poor LPer, the celestial IT, forced to try to keep the planet running while the Grand Old Director watches from above. Goons as middle management electing the six members of the board who decide on the voting agenda and then finally, when all the votes are cast, it's up to me to see it done. Will management meet their KPI's? Can the goons turn a slab of molten rock into something that supports life before the sun consumes it? Can parlimentary LP's every be sane? Can goons, when it comes down to it, run the world?

Find out in : (Un)Intelligent Design - Let's Play: Sim Earth!

Stay tuned in this thread for another major announcement later in the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I've loved this and the last LP, sorry to see it end. Your writing has been consistently entertaining and I'e never been patient enough to get anything out of Shogun 2, so I've enjoyed watching you make the battles I would get my teeth kicked in at seem simple. Good luck with Sim Earth.

• Locked thread