Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

Combat in Fall can often be summed up with one idea: I brought cannons and you didn't, so I win.

Fairly realistic, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Fall of the Samurai gave me some of the best siege defences in Shogun 2 - loads of levy infantry defending fortresses against whatever the enemy throws at them and winning at massive cost.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fall definitely has some rather bloody siege battles.

my dad posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Parrott guns are a massive game changer and their upgrades are even more so. It slows down my armies a lot but I run between 2 and 4 batteries in every army as the game goes on. You can absolutely savage enemy forces before they get into range.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

my dad posted:

If combat is in an open field, with little to no cover then yeah good luck trying to attack those positions. Hilly or forested terrain is an entirely different thing.

Also, really been enjoying this LP. Any plans on another multiplayer tournament or showing off co-op campaign(s)?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

lenoon posted:

Being a lowly mac owner, I have heard rumours of an aspyr (shudder) port. Has anyone heard anything more concrete? I managed to play all the total war games up to napoleon on my old creaking machine (yep, same one I played shogun one on) which I keep around for low-spec PC only games, but this LP has really got me itching for shogun!

You might be the luckiest man alive. This was just posted in the Megathread:

http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/432/

Shogun 2 is now available for Mac!

For everyone else, update tomorrow.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

And now to war between my wallet and my patience for it to go on sale

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Korekata's Test

Autumn of 1552 (Enemy Turn)

"My Lord, the enemy prepares to sally forth!" announced the scout. "It looks like all their forces"
"As planned, then" replied Korekata, looking up from his maps. "Come, we have work to do."

As expected the Hatano forces have sallied forth in a desperate attempt to repel Korekata and break the siege. With their 2 Generals, 2 Light Cavalry, 1 Yari Samurai, 3 Bow Samurai, 8 Yari Ashigaru and 1 Samurai Retainers against our 1 Hattori Katana Samurai, 1 Hattori Yari Samurai, 13 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 4 Hattori Bow Ashigaru, their superior archery and cavalry leave us with little choice but to force a melee engagement where we can bring our advantages to bear. Luckily, we should have little trouble covering our flanks from cavalry offensives given our ludicrous number of yari troops and as the defender can rely on the enemy coming to us.

Click here to see the battle!
"Form the men up into 4 ranks" ordered Korekata. "Standard defensive formation on the hill."
"As you command, my Lord" replied the samurai captain. "It's time to show the Hatano they have sealed their own death warrant."
"One exception, for the second rank ashigaru" continued Korekata. "I only want a single spear unit deployed in anti-cavalry on the left flank. Redeploy the others on the right."
"But My Lord, that will leave our archers open if they bring all their cavalry on the left flank" protested the ashigaru captain. "They will break through, there will be losses."
"Yes" agreed Korekata. "I know. But they will be acceptable."

Luck is with us! Our starting area has a decent sized hill we can use in order to hugely reduce the effectiveness of cavalry charges (or infantry attacks) coming up that side. Although our forces are too large to simply button up on the hill, we can use it to either force the enemy to attack us uphill or otherwise concede our downhill counter-charge. With so many troops the battle lines are going to be sprawling, but it will be a race to force a chain rout first.

"My Lord!" announced the scout. "Enemy cavalry has broken through the left flank. Our yari valiantly repelled 3 units, but a fourth has snuck through into the archer ranks."
Korekata surveyed the battle in front of him, the Hatano battle line breaking upon the hordes of unusually disciplined Hattori ashigaru, silently observing.
"Your orders, My Lord?" prompted the scout. "Men are dying."
"Yes" replied Korekata. "They are. Their central line will collapse soon and many more men will be saved."
The Hatano lines started to buckle, looking nothing so much as a giant serpent writhing in pain. Slowly, but gathering in momentum, Hatano men started to flee from the melee.
"Dispatch the reserves to assist the archers" ordered Korekata, mounting up. "Bodyguards, come, there are things to be done!"
Spurring his horse forward, Korekata began the bloody work of slaughtering the fleeing Hatano.

Our more veteran force has carried the day, not only repelling the Hatano attempt to lift the siege but also obliterating the defenders to a man. Although the fighting was bloody and not without loss on our side, the fact we managed to kill 3 Hatano soldiers for every lost Hattori is no mean feat when your troops are purely ashigaru. It's an object lesson in just how much more powerful units are with some veterency, especially when all your forces have it. Although Korekata's force wouldn't stand against a full stack with more elite troops, there can be no doubt that few forces are as cost effective as this one.

"Every last one, either killed or fled, My Lord" reported the samurai captain. "None were able to make it back to their fortifications."
"Better than expected" noted Korekata, undoing his armour. "Let's go claim our prize."

Some of those kill numbers are absolutely ludicrous, especially for ashigaru. There can be no doubt, the Hattori fight with a fury unmatched in all of Japan.

"The Shogun is now surrounded" stated Korekata. "Denied the support of those seeking to crush us, he will weaken and become vulnerable."

With no-one left to oppose us, we seize control of the province of Tamba. With the capture of this province, Kyoto and by extension, the Shogunate, are now completely isolated, ringed in on all sides by the seemingly invincible Hattori. There now remain only 9 provinces left to control or force into vassalage, with Kyoto and Owari being the two named provinces that we must own. It's not the home stretch yet, but there can be no doubt that we are closing in on victory, one step at a time.

"My Lord, Tamba has extensive faculties for the recruitment of archers and cavalry, although it has little in the way of economic wealth. However, the people here are rather sympathetic to the Hattori cause and public support is very high. Simple patrols to eliminate bandits would be more than enough to maintain peace."
"Then we welcome liberating the people of Tamba" grinned Korekata. "Another step closer to victory."

Tamba is a province of limited value to us, having been developed militarily in an area that is already rich in Hattori military provinces. Despite this, it provides a small but reasonable sum of koku in tax and requires no garrison, with the fortifications here and our high honour enough to keep order without troops. With the Hatano crushed and likely to take many turns to recover, the only threat is the Takaoka province to the north, which has also just recently lost their army to Yasunaga. The real benefit is the elimination of the Hatano knife at our throat, the extra koku is just a (really nice) bonus, especially with the threats to our economy looming over us.

Tamba has a Stronghold, Archery Dojo, Warhorse Stables, Improved Irrigation (Average Fertility) and Roads.

Winter of 1552

"The breeding stock is significantly improved with the importing of these bloodlines" noted the stablemaster. "Stockier and stronger, these will have no trouble holding a man in armour."

The construction of Warhorse Stables in Kawachi now opens up the ability to produce advanced cavalry there as long as we have a dojo of the appropriate type there. Although we don't have any dojos there at the moment, this is still an important step towards having a central cavalry producing province. In addition it makes the Light Calvary we produce there combat rank 1, making them even more cost effective.

"There can be no doubt on who will win this war" announced the samurai captain. "Take heart, for we will have the opportunity to cover ourselves in glory and honour."

Yamato continues to slowly swell our ranks with Hattori Katana Samurai, while both Wakasa and Sanuki bolster their own garrisons in anticipation of the coming battles.

With the brutally effective elimination of the Hatano forces, there could be no doubt that Korekata was every bit as talented a field commander as the other Hattori generals. Although his inexperience still showed, there could be no doubt that Korekata was not to be taken lightly.

With a heroic defence that resulted in the end of the siege of Tamba, Korekata has proven beyond doubt that he belongs in command of a Hattori army.

Even compared to the gifted strategists that the Hattori commanded, Korekata was an exceptional leader with a shrewd grasp of logistics. His forces never wanted for food or weapons, nor medical supplies. His men worked harder and longer, content in the knowledge that their needs would be looked after. Korekata was not overly kind, however, failure to perform or adhere to the strict code would result in swift and brutal punishment. The combination was terrifying to those who served with him and those who opposed him.

As both a master of strategy and our defensive general, planning and mobility is key. To ensure his mobility is unmatched, we take two points in Strategist for the movement boost as well as unlocking critical skills later in the tree.

The retainers are both far better than they look, with a choice between a buff to Rally and an increase to the melee attack of all the sword troops under Korekata's command. As Korekata is our defensive general, his army is going to consist primarily of ashigaru, so a boost to sword units is not going to pay big dividends. Meanwhile, a 10% boost to Rally sounds more useful, as it helps us deal with one of the key weaknesses of ashigaru, their poor morale. Rally grants +6 morale to units which would be below 0 morale (fleeing) and +1 morale to units which have positive base morale. This means that a 10% boost would be another 0.6 morale to units who would be fleeing and 0.1 to other units. The game rounds up when working out morale values, so that actually means that our boosted Rally would give +7 morale to units which are fleeing or would otherwise be fleeing. For a man leading ashigaru, that can be absolutely critical and makes it the better of the two choices.

Nothing demonstrated this ruthless striving towards order so much as the ever present Drum Master. The beats of the mighty drum were the heartbeat of Korekata's army, telling the men when to march, when to run and when to fight.

As the Commissioner for Supply, the additional rank not only adds another 3% to the movement of all units under his control (for an impressive +26% movement total) but also increases the replenishment rate of all our troops by another 1%. With the additional fighting coming up and the importance of being able to maintain our offensive, it's a serious boon to the Hattori.

"I'm cold, weary and could use a warm fireplace to share sake with friends" boomed Yasunaga. "The Takaoka have such a place. It is time we paid them a visit!"

The Takaoka need to be informed of the price of failure and Yasunaga is just the man to deliver the wisdom of the Hattori to those who don't believe.

"As expected, the fools stripped their garrison bare to attack us" spat Yasunaga. "Let all know the price of such mistakes."

With only a single Samurai Retainers defending against Yasunaga's 1 Light Cavalry, 1 Hattori Yari Samurai, 4 Hattori Yari Ashigaru, 3 Hattori Bow Ashigaru and 1 Hattori Kisho Ninja, there is no hope that the Takaoka can hold. Now my self imposed challenge is to win this fight without losing a soldier while still being inside the walls before the fight is over!

Click here to see the battle!
Yasunaga watched as the ninja moved in silently.
"Will this be sufficient, My Lord?" questioned the samurai captain. "My men are ready to attack on your orders."
"There are as many ninja as there are defenders" Yasunaga laughed. "There is no contest. I doubt we shall lose a single one."

With only 3 sides to open to attack, this is one of the better fortifications to defend. Not that it's going to matter with these odds.

The gates to the fortification creaked wide open, the head ninja waving a torch.
"The signal" announced Yasunaga. "The fortification is ours."
The head ninja approached.
"Report" ordered Yasunaga.

Mission accomplished! A fortification taken and not a single Hattori life lost. Can there be any more proof of our obvious supremacy?

"No men lost, my Lord" replied the head ninja. "We have captured the Daimyo of the Takaoka."
"Told you we wouldn't lose one" Yasunaga stated, grinning at the samurai captain.

This was a powerful demonstration of the sheer ferocity of stacking accuracy buffs and the ludicrously good retainer, Gomuyumi. With our bow ashigaru more accurate than normal bow samurai while being more numerous, even the weaker ashigaru arrows don't make a dent in our killing power. Grenades on ninjas finish off what little remains after our opening volley.

The Takaoka Daimyo cowered in front of Yasunaga. Barely more than a boy, Yasunaga felt a twinge of pity for him.
"You are not expected to pay the price for the poor choices of your father and brother" announced Yasunaga. "Instead, I offer you two honourable choices."
"What are those?" the Daimyo questioned, trying to hold his composure.
"You may die in combat against me, a noble death" replied Yasunaga. "Or you can swear fealty to my family as a vassal. This is your chance to join the winning side."
The Takaoka Daimyo stood still for a moment, before dropping to his knees and bowing.
"I'm yours to command, My Lord" the Daimyo stated.
"A wise choice" replied Yasunaga. "But there are conditions."

Tango is a relatively poor province that would stretch our somewhat undermanned northern forces even further, so it makes far more sense to turn the Takaoka into a vassal, solidifying our trade income worth far more than the province and also reducing our need to cover the northern provinces. In addition, taking another vassal brings Yasunaga's honour to 7 (out of a maximum of 6). Since the Takeda own one of our named victory provinces and they are our ally, we will lose honour by declaring war on them to take it. By having one honour over the maximum, we don't lose the additional happiness or loyalty when we are forced to take what it rightfully ours.

"You will muster a unit of men bolster my forces" ordered Yasunaga. "So that we might better protect you."

As with all vassals made through conquest, we get a free unit, in this case a Hattori Yari Ashigaru. While nothing that we can't produce ourselves, we need bulk and can't turn down even such a minor boon.

"It would also be wise if you opened your borders to merchants such that we both prosper" continued Yasunaga. "And offered some token to help repay for the damage your father wrought on the Hattori."
"Of course, My Lord" replied the Daimyo. "I shall see it done immediately."

By now everyone reading this LP knows exactly how you conduct trade negotiations. Extort the living hell out of any poor bastard who needs to trade with you. After all, the AI would only waste the money and as our newly minted vassals they are hardly in a position to refuse. Someone needs to tally just how much free money we have managed to extort this run.

"I distinctly remember something about a warm bed and sake, my Lord" noted the samurai captain. "Not that I don't enjoy marching through the snow."
"We earn our rest through victory" noted Yasunaga. "We can all sleep in warm beds and drink sake to our hearts content when the Hattori family is secure."

The Takaoka now firmly under heel, Yasunaga moves back towards Wakasa to begin preparation for the obliteration of the Ikko Ikki. A lesson that will be long, well delivered and a statement to all of Japan.

"I see you didn't sink your first command, lieutenant" grinned the admiral. "You did well."
"Thank you, sir" replied the lieutenant. "It was an honour."
"Indeed it was, lieutenant" replied the admiral. "Or should I say, captain. She's your ship now and you earned her."

With our captured and damaged ships now repaired, we rejoin the main eastern fleet in order to help keep the area protected as well as extract a little more income from raiding.

Sneak Peek: Shoguns of the Sea

shalcar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 3, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Only once in any game I've played of Shogun 2 have I ever managed to win a fight without taking a single loss.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

You sounded so gleeful at the end of the ninja fight :allears:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Well then, I hope you've got a good justification for all the troops you lost before now, hmm? :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat. Vassalage is an even better money machine than pillaging?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

drat. Vassalage is an even better money machine than pillaging?

It certainly can be on low value provinces.

Tango had a town wealth of 116 and would have looted for 2418 koku. Not only did we almost get that just from the trade agreement, but we gained an honour instead of losing one, which means that we don't need as many garrison troops in our Ikko Ikki loaded provinces, which is a significant saving. Of course, the trade agreement itself is worth more than the province would have provided us in tax even if we just occupied, so it really was the best move, economically speaking. The downside of vassals is that they are not reliable and can turn on you, so you are really trading extra wealth for extra risk. In our case we have more than enough troops who will always be central (Korekata and his defensive force), so even if they do turn against us putting the rebellion down would be a small matter.

Speaking of rebellion of course, if we had looted the province there would be basically no way we could maintain order without tying up Yasunaga and his entire force, so we would either have to let the province rebel or watch as all our "profit" was eaten up by having our forces play garrison duty.

There are times when looting is a good idea, but this wasn't one of them.

e: To give you the full numbers, Tango would have been worth 244 koku a turn in income and the trade route currently pulls in 596 koku a turn. A substantial difference!

shalcar fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 4, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How often do you merge units?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I reinstalled Napoleon today, and I'm just so intimidated by this style of game. Do any of the tips/strategy from Shogun work in Napoleon as well?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Redeye Flight posted:

I reinstalled Napoleon today, and I'm just so intimidated by this style of game. Do any of the tips/strategy from Shogun work in Napoleon as well?

Artillery is your friend, use line infantry as your cannon fodder and practice your use of cavalry to attack the flanks.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Artillery is your friend, use line infantry as your cannon fodder and practice your use of cavalry to attack the flanks.

Use no cav, mass arty in the center, never march towards the AI unless they have more arty than you, have more arty than the AI.

Artillery is really important is what I'm saying.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I had forgotten entirely that ninjas had grenades, so when the volley of grenades went out I giggled like a schoolchild. A most valorious victory, Shalcar. :golfclap:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So it seems that Shogun requires you to maintain a rate of conquest somewhere between every 4-7 turns for a new province, in order to win. Do the other games in the series (Rome 2 specifically) require a similar pace, or is it viable to expand a bit, then spend 20-30 turns teching up, getting your construction out of the way for what will become your "core" provinces, and then start building stacks to go on a conquest blitz later?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Leif. posted:

So it seems that Shogun requires you to maintain a rate of conquest somewhere between every 4-7 turns for a new province, in order to win. Do the other games in the series (Rome 2 specifically) require a similar pace, or is it viable to expand a bit, then spend 20-30 turns teching up, getting your construction out of the way for what will become your "core" provinces, and then start building stacks to go on a conquest blitz later?

I cant answer this properly, but my experience playing as rome was to take all of itally, sicily, the two islands to the west, etc. so I had all of rome, magna greca, and the other region. A small but compact holding of 10 towns. I then stayed put, developed magna greca into a financial province, rome into a military powerhouse and was able to put together 3 full stacks of well geared, bonus exp recruited legions of cohorts. They rolled their way through gaul and anything else i pointed them at.

I can't say about the rate of province taking because I am a goldfish and never finished the save, like every single other rome 2 save of mine. But I'd say its definitly feasible. You spend time and money making a developed province into a military or fiance juggernaut rather than spending time and money subduing and rebuilding barbarian poo poo holes and the pay off for it can be substantial.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Jade Star posted:

I cant answer this properly, but my experience playing as rome was to take all of itally, sicily, the two islands to the west, etc. so I had all of rome, magna greca, and the other region. A small but compact holding of 10 towns. I then stayed put, developed magna greca into a financial province, rome into a military powerhouse and was able to put together 3 full stacks of well geared, bonus exp recruited legions of cohorts. They rolled their way through gaul and anything else i pointed them at.

I can't say about the rate of province taking because I am a goldfish and never finished the save, like every single other rome 2 save of mine. But I'd say its definitly feasible. You spend time and money making a developed province into a military or fiance juggernaut rather than spending time and money subduing and rebuilding barbarian poo poo holes and the pay off for it can be substantial.

I haven't played since release, did they ever fix the super frustrating macroeconomics of Rome 2? It seemed like it was incredibly easy to run out of food/ punish your expansions with squalor, and it took the fun out of the game for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The Casualty posted:

I haven't played since release, did they ever fix the super frustrating macroeconomics of Rome 2? It seemed like it was incredibly easy to run out of food/ punish your expansions with squalor, and it took the fun out of the game for me.

I haven't played it since release because my computer can't handle it, but I heard the game is better now and there's plenty of mods now to fix the game to suit your taste, however you should ask for more information in the Rome II thread rather than here.

Watching this LP makes me realize I don't use diplomacy to it's full potential in Shogun II, drat that's a lot of money gained from extortion. I'm eagerly waiting for the battle of Kyoto to see what shenanigans shalcar's going to pull off to conquer it with minimal losses.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

How often do you merge units?

Early on it makes sense to merge units which have more than 3 or so turns to be replenished and that's what I have been doing for most of the game, but only if it can be realistically replaced along the way. We have not had any units that have been so far gone that it's been worthwhile, especially with our ever increasing replenishment rate thanks to Korekata. The few units which I would have normally merged I instead kept to replenish as garrison units (See Yasunaga and Wakasa) because they just need to exist and there isn't much point having them at full strength if you can't use them until they would have replenished naturally.

My exception to this is that our super elite veteran units always get filled up with the best possible troops we can, since you don't want your veteran experience diluted by the green soldiers replenishment would bring.

Leif. posted:

The pace of expansion and driving need to keep going is basically unique to Shogun 2. All the other Total Wars have laughable clock limitations.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shogun definitely has the tightest time requirement in all of the Total War games.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Huh, OK I was wondering if I was just crazy. I'm like Jade Star in that I can never end up finishing a Total War game, but with Shogun 2 it was just so much more noticeable early on, especially with Realm Divide essentially cutting your "turtle time" in half. Since then I've been paranoid every time I play Rome. Though it's certainly helped me learn to be more aggressive.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Taerkar posted:

Shogun definitely has the tightest time requirement in all of the Total War games.

Yeah but that's not saying much since other TW games have such a loose time requirement that there might as well not be one.

If you really want to play a game where you can sit back and turtle for 50 turns before unleashing your high-tech blob of doom on the rest of Japan, just change the campaign length from short to long. This increases the total provinces you need to win, but also more than doubles the time you have to do it and increases the province cap for RD, so you don't hit is as quickly. Then pick a clan that's easily defensible for turtling purposes like Shimazu or Date. Personally I enjoy more fast paced games, but once I wanted to really play around with some of the high tech units, so I played a Shimazu long game. I took Kyushu, then sat around for close to 50-60 turns just teching up and getting all the fun toys, and still had enough time to win the game without any need to rush.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 5, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
My only pet peeve with this game is at higher campaign difficulties the AI magicks up full stacks of elite samurai constantly throwing them at you. It's really quite hard.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm a rather methodical player so I like the games to go slower and take longer. I did the mod to Rome 2 that adds extra seasons per year, though I wish I could increase the build/research time to compensate. But that's also in part due to characters just not living long enough otherwise.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Shalcar, you mentioned your elite Yari Ashigaru in the update, and that you'd preserve their rank by merging - what are your thoughts on their value? I've not played the series, so it's hard to judge how useful experience is. What are their current stats, and is there any unit you would consider them roughly equal value to?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Taerkar posted:

I'm a rather methodical player so I like the games to go slower and take longer. I did the mod to Rome 2 that adds extra seasons per year, though I wish I could increase the build/research time to compensate. But that's also in part due to characters just not living long enough otherwise.

You could also try Fall of the Samurai on the long campaign setting, then. At first it looks short at only 12 years, but you get 24 turns per year (6 per season) which works out to a 288 turn time limit, which I've never come close to bumping up against, even in games where I've almost completed both tech trees.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Gah! My macbook is powerful enough to start, but not run a grand campaign. What a bugger. Luckily I'd made some money from trade ins and card sales so at least it was only $3. Back to jealously reading the LP for me!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leif. posted:

There should be a mod that extends the number of turns.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I generally find that hitting the time limit is not an issue in Shogun 2. If you are well prepared, provinces can be made to fall very very quickly. I typically pause for a break before Realm Divide, then dash in and take a province every other turn or so, winning the game. If you delay too long, the bigger issue is the AI winning the game before you do, which is quite possible with some of the factions.

That's my impression, anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally got caught up on this thread. Thinking about earmarking this game for if it goes on a Steam sale, but I've never played the Total War series before. Is there a steep learning curve even if I set it to easy and a long game? I'm another one of those people who likes to turtle and research.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Cythereal posted:

Finally got caught up on this thread. Thinking about earmarking this game for if it goes on a Steam sale, but I've never played the Total War series before. Is there a steep learning curve even if I set it to easy and a long game? I'm another one of those people who likes to turtle and research.

I don't think you'd need to turn it down to easy: difficulty mostly affects things like enemy morale and their AI bonuses, so they don't get any smarter. Shimazu and Date (as already said) make good starts because they're at either end of Japan and only need to worry about one direction. A long game isn't any easier in my view, because you can just as well turtle before Realm Divide anyway: taking 25 provinces will bring you to Kyoto almost any way you do it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I guess breaking out of that style is the hardest lesson to learn, since it becomes econmically unviable to not conquer. The rewards of researched tech and well-garrisoned cities need increasing returns.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Fangz posted:

I generally find that hitting the time limit is not an issue in Shogun 2. If you are well prepared, provinces can be made to fall very very quickly. I typically pause for a break before Realm Divide, then dash in and take a province every other turn or so, winning the game. If you delay too long, the bigger issue is the AI winning the game before you do, which is quite possible with some of the factions.

That's my impression, anyway.

Can a faction initiate Realm Divide before you do?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Casualty posted:

Can a faction initiate Realm Divide before you do?

Kind of, but it's really half-hearted. If another clan blobs up way too fast or takes Kyoto before you do, the Shogun may give you a mission to take provinces from that clan in exchange for koku rewards, and other clans will get pissed at them for getting so big and pissing off the Shogun, but their wrath is nowhere near RD levels and as soon as you pass the threshold everybody will laser target you regardless of if the other clan is three times your size. RD is much more a mechanic the computer uses to reach parity with a powerful player.

Cythereal posted:

There is a level of turtling that can be accomplished, but for the most part you need to expand to live. The game is Total War, and true to its name you need to be either waging war or preparing to wage war at all times, or you are going to get rolled over by other clans who are. It's not like Civilization; there is no diplomatic or technological path to victory. The only way to carve your name into Japan is with blood. :black101:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Taerkar posted:

Combat in Fall can often be summed up with one idea: I brought cannons and you didn't, so I win.

Ahhh, I love FotS. The sheer absurd power of a properly led, equipped and supported modern army against traditional units is exceptionally satisfying. I've pulled off many a victory with no casualties if one of my artillery-heavy armies runs into an under equipped enemy under favourable circumstances.

Also, bringing in the HMS Warrior... :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Obliterati posted:

Shimazu and Date (as already said) make good starts because they're at either end of Japan and only need to worry about one direction.

What are the different clans and what distinguishes them? I've gotten from this LP that the Hattori are specialists with ninjas and night attacks, and the Ikko have a religious heresy thing going on, but my knowledge of Japanese history is pretty sketchy and I have no idea who most of the clans/people threadchat and the LP mention are or why they're important beyond whether they're enemies or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
A moderate oversight!

Sounds like it's time to write up a clan post when I get home from work.

For everyone worried about the pace of Shogun 2, the game is normally played a lot slower than this, but it's not really interesting to watch us turtle up for 30 turns even if it does give us a few more toys and it's harder to finish in blistering time.

To give you an idea of how fast, when I was testing the Kyoto capture to see if the RD penalty reapplied, for fun I just blitzed and won on turn 36. Out of 120ish.

I'm aiming to finish the up at about turn 50 so that I can show off heroes since we didn't get to see them last lp and they are too great to not play with.

The long game is no different but with over twice the turns and a later RD.

In reality, the turn limit won't hamper even very slow players. In my very first game I ran up against the turn limit because I was used to the old style of Total War and I had 11 provinces to get in 11 turns. I did it without breaking a sweat, the game had long ago been won even if I didn't realise it.

For the curious, there is no turn limit in co op.

E: fixed phone posting spelling mistake

shalcar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread