Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Taketoshi gets things done, drat.

Still, that roads bonus is pretty sweet for getting dudes back. Not that you lost that many to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

Still, get enough turns like that and Taketoshi could become a 6 star general! How close is he to 5 stars at this point?

He's about 2/3rds of the way through, so he needs another 3 battles in order to rank up if I recall correctly.

Glazius posted:

Taketoshi gets things done, drat.

Still, that roads bonus is pretty sweet for getting dudes back. Not that you lost that many to begin with.

That he does. Topping up our forces is always nice though, they are starting to get a little ragged.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm looking forward to when Shalcar gets to Fall of the Samurai. I picked it up on a steam sale and proceeded to not understand anything I was doing and lose all my battles. Can't wait to see it done right.

Quick and dirty FotS guide:

Use levy infantry to mass guns and spear levies to charge flanks early in the campaign until you've conquered enough of an economy to support line infantry, then phase the levies out of your fighting armies ASAP. Beware of samurai early because they can maul unsupported line infantry. In battle, if one of your gun-armed units isn't shooting when the others are, move them up where they can start shooting because they're wasted otherwise.

Prioritize the following techs in the following order: The tech that gives you cannons (so that you can gain units that kill 300+ troops per unit per battle, easy), the tech that gives you explosive shells (so that you can destroy entire enemy armadas in three salvos if that), and the tech that gives you kneel fire (so that your infantry become unstoppable death machines that melt enemy lines on contact). Everything beyond that is basically gravy. Hilariously effective gravy in some cases, like the foreign trading post (that offers you invincible death battleships) or the tech that offers suppression fire (which makes melee units even more sadly obsolete), but gravy all the same - you can easily gain a dominating position on the campaign map just by beelining those three techs.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

shalcar posted:

He's about 2/3rds of the way through, so he needs another 3 battles in order to rank up if I recall correctly.

we are definitely going to get to see 5 star Taketoshi then, though sadly I get the feeling 6 star might not happen, if only because you take the needed provinces to win too quickly.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tomn posted:

Quick and dirty FotS guide:

Use levy infantry to mass guns and spear levies to charge flanks early in the campaign until you've conquered enough of an economy to support line infantry, then phase the levies out of your fighting armies ASAP. Beware of samurai early because they can maul unsupported line infantry. In battle, if one of your gun-armed units isn't shooting when the others are, move them up where they can start shooting because they're wasted otherwise.

Prioritize the following techs in the following order: The tech that gives you cannons (so that you can gain units that kill 300+ troops per unit per battle, easy), the tech that gives you explosive shells (so that you can destroy entire enemy armadas in three salvos if that), and the tech that gives you kneel fire (so that your infantry become unstoppable death machines that melt enemy lines on contact). Everything beyond that is basically gravy. Hilariously effective gravy in some cases, like the foreign trading post (that offers you invincible death battleships) or the tech that offers suppression fire (which makes melee units even more sadly obsolete), but gravy all the same - you can easily gain a dominating position on the campaign map just by beelining those three techs.

Also remember that melee units are going to be fairly effective well into the game. Line infantry is hilariously weak, and they reload very slowly, levies moreso. Any dedicated melee unit can tie up two units of line/levy, for a very long time. Cav is particularly effective, but be mindful of you know, guns?

Reload rate is a lie, different units use different guns, which have their own reload times and other stats. Only after you get Imperial/Shogunate/Republican infantry can you spam armies made of nothing but infantry that can just mow down any melee army. (You've won the game at that point though).

Kneel fire is good though, because the second line doesn't usually fire and just sits there reloading.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Well, it turns out the last Rome 2 update which had a small Shogun 2 launcher update has broken all my replays, which I normally leave till last.

I'll have to test to see if replays work at all (I'm sure ones made in this version will be fine), but all my update stuff that I had in the bank is now worthless. Sorry everyone, the next 2 updates won't have any battle videos (although I might post up our frontline slamming into their frontline with me mid commentary and then my response when right as the lines clash it pops up "Close Defeat!" right as the enemy all start breaking).

It's a real pity too, we had some great fights lined up =(

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

shalcar posted:

Well, it turns out the last Rome 2 update which had a small Shogun 2 launcher update has broken all my replays, which I normally leave till last.

I'll have to test to see if replays work at all (I'm sure ones made in this version will be fine), but all my update stuff that I had in the bank is now worthless. Sorry everyone, the next 2 updates won't have any battle videos (although I might post up our frontline slamming into their frontline with me mid commentary and then my response when right as the lines clash it pops up "Close Defeat!" right as the enemy all start breaking).

It's a real pity too, we had some great fights lined up =(

Well that sucks. And how the hell did you get a defeat in what sounds like a winning situation? enemy took a tenshu or something? (let me guess, wait till the update to find out).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had a victory I should have lost when I first fought an army with guns. I was too busy moving cavalry to sneak behind the general, to notice my lines were too thick and were not fighting at their best. My horses were mauling the general who was isolated from his group before dying, when my flags were dropping off the map. Close victory.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

Well that sucks. And how the hell did you get a defeat in what sounds like a winning situation? enemy took a tenshu or something? (let me guess, wait till the update to find out).

Nothing like that, we won the fight in the game, but the replay shows it as a loss so I can't do a battle commentary because it doesn't play back right, nor do any of the matches from before the patch.

It doesn't impact the actual campaign, it just means we won't have battle commentary for the fights in the next two updates.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Were any of the jumbled up/incorrect replays hilarious to watch in their entirety?

Impressive in a very sad way that they've apparently managed to screw something up with what I always assumed were odd, consistently sized advertisement updates.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well that sucks.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
gently caress it dude, just replay the 2 turns again, can't be that bad. Stiff upper lip and all that :v:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Sucks, but short of redoing everything (which i can only imagine your enthusiasm for), nought to be done. We'll live.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

In FotS are there any good money makers? I'm having my first attempt at doing as run as the Republic and my economy got kind of overwhelmed so that I'm only bringing in a few thousand per turn and pretty much all of that is being spent on repairing damage to ships from the steady flow of fleets heading my way. I got one trade port up and got a fairly massive boost from that. Will additional trade ports open up extra routes with the foreign powers and give similar boosts to the first one or is there anything else cost-effective for getting money? I had been planning to form some vassals to trade with, but when I tried it my vassal turned against me the very next turn.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

team overhead smash posted:

In FotS are there any good money makers? I'm having my first attempt at doing as run as the Republic and my economy got kind of overwhelmed so that I'm only bringing in a few thousand per turn and pretty much all of that is being spent on repairing damage to ships from the steady flow of fleets heading my way. I got one trade port up and got a fairly massive boost from that. Will additional trade ports open up extra routes with the foreign powers and give similar boosts to the first one or is there anything else cost-effective for getting money? I had been planning to form some vassals to trade with, but when I tried it my vassal turned against me the very next turn.
No experience playing as a republic but foreign trade routes will help the most. Helps more if you are on the west end of Japan, because you're less likely to have blockades on England and France which will help squeeze more koku out per turn.

Other than that, part your best Geishas in your most wealthy towns, and make sure to just specialize your towns. So unless they are in any imminent danger or they have a military-based specialty (papermakers, iron, warhorses, copper, etc.) you should just sink your money into developing the province to produce more wealth. Usually stuff like cottage industry makes the most money, followed by the market and then the gambling den chains. Build them all if you have to. Helps if you also do this in provinces with fertile soil.

Usually by the end of the game most of my best provinces have all their slots filled out with +wealth buildings with a geisha, and have ~10k koku wealth. I would suggest also making sure you generally take the building chains that give more +wealth/turn. Be warned though this is usually the option that also provides -happiness from industrialization but the small difference in the flat wealth from the upgrade is usually overcome by the extra +wealth/turn.

Otherwise just make sure to take advantage of other buffs, the geisha gives +wealth/turn buffs too, and be careful with unhappiness, as if the province is pissed you have to endure -25 wealth/turn for a while as well.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

team overhead smash posted:

Sober's advice is pretty good, but it's not all perhaps as accurate as it could be. He's absolutely spot on that the foreign trade routes seriously help given the lack of domestic ones, but you do need to beware of blockades or piracy which will end up making you a net loss thanks to the fact that unsold trade goods will sell internally for half their base value while those that are lost to blockade or piracy give you absolutely nothing. Keep those trade routes clear!

In addition, even though those three trade routes don't soak up all that many trade goods, generally speaking the best possible upgrades you can make are to the trade good buildings. Open the trade window (the abacus to the right and then the trade tab) and mouse over all of your trade goods to ensure you are exporting 100% of each of them. If you are not, that trade building is the one you should upgrade as an absolute priority! Even if you are at 100% exporting, those buildings are still generally your best bet to upgrade. Coal, Tea and Silk are the best in the damned game.

Coal Mines give 580 koku a turn(~2400 wealth!) if you export it all through land trade (more if by sea) and even if you can't sell a single bit, it's still 290 koku a turn (That's the equivalent of ~1200 wealth) in addition to the boost to wealth and other benefits of the building. Silk and Tea are the same, worth 340/170 koku a turn (~1360/700 wealth) at half the cost of coal upgrades.

In fact, let's run some maths (I know, I know):

The base trade buildings are free, so I won't consider those. I'm going to assume that everything is internal value (ie. half of what you can get if you are actually selling it, so it's worst case for trade goods)

Industry Chain (Taking the best return picks)
Cottage Industry : 560 wealth, 1200 cost (2.14 koku per wealth)
Silk Weaving Shed : 740 wealth, 3800 cost (5.13 koku per wealth)
Factory : 400 wealth, 5 growth, 7200 cost (18 koku per wealth)
Cotton Processing Plant : 500 wealth, 10 growth, 12000 cost (24 koku per wealth)

Business Chain (Taking the best wealth pick, Market chain)
Inn : 360 wealth, 1400 cost (3.8 koku per wealth)
Market : 360 wealth, 2 growth, 2400 cost (6.6 koku per wealth)
Financial District : 540 wealth, 2 growth, 3600 cost (6.6 koku per wealth)
Junin Ryogae : 990 wealth, 4 growth, 13500 cost (13.6 koku per wealth)

Coal Chain
Deep Seam Coal Mine : 20 coal (~1160 wealth), 200 wealth, 1 growth, 4250 cost (3.125 koku per wealth)
Coking Plant : 20 coal (~1160 wealth), 200 wealth, 3 growth, 8500 cost (6.25 koku per wealth)

Copper Chain
Copper Refinery : 10 copper (~460 wealth), 100 wealth, 1 growth, 3800 cost (6.7 koku per wealth)
Smelting Mill : 10 copper (~460 wealth), 400 wealth, 1 growth, 8000 cost (9.3 koku per wealth)

Iron Chain
Deep Seam Iron Mine : 10 iron (~400 wealth), 90 wealth, 1 growth, 3000 cost (6.12 koku per wealth)
Iron Smelting Plant : 10 iron (~400 wealth), 360 wealth, 1 growth, 6800 cost (8.9 koku per wealth)

Silk Chain
Raw Thread Silkmaker : 20 silk (~680 wealth), 350 wealth, 2200 cost (2.13 koku per wealth)
Sericulturist : 20 silk (~680 wealth), 300 wealth, 5000 cost (5.1 koku per wealth)

Tea Chain
Matcha Plant : 20 tea (~680 wealth), 300 wealth, 2000 cost (2.04 koku per wealth)
Tea Exporter : 20 tea (~680 wealth), 300 wealth, 4800 cost (4.89 koku per wealth)

Note that these are the worst possible matchups for trade goods. If you can sell everything, even the worst upgrade (Iron Smelting Plant) is better than everything except Cottage Industry or Inn, both of which require a whole building slot which hasn't been factored into these costs and that's why they are so good. If you do get a free building slot from either conquest, the free slot a province starts with or simply not requiring a building chain anymore, it's vital to know just how good those base buildings are. Matcha Plant, even in the worst possible situation is still the best value building in the game.

So that's trade goods and buildings covered. I've always found those numbers alone really help make the game easier.

As a republic, you want to get to Military Society (Propoganda chain) as it means that Imperial and Shogunate influence no longer impact your provinces, letting everything go Republic without interference. That can save you thousands of koku as you can get rid of your garrisons significantly faster and makes enemy agents much less dangerous.

Geisha in your most wealthy town is actually a bad idea. Geisha go in your most developed town (as in, most building slots) as the only thing that impacts tax rate for a province is the city development side and Geisha give a flat growth boost so their return is purely based on tax rate. For exactly the same reason, it really doesn't matter much where you put your economic buildings, at most you lose 10% of their return, but in reality it's usually closer to 2-4% and so it's better to build a good value building in a poorly developed province than a poorer value building in a better developed province. The Industry chain gives the best early returns but poor later ones, while the Business chain gives more average returns at the beginning but stays solid as you upgrade it.

Don't chose buildings based on the growth they give, despite the fact the game is 144 turns long, going for something like Cotton Weavers Shed over Silk Weavers Shed will take 66 turns before it has made you the same amount of money. Go for the early solid returns, especially if you are in Republic RD. Growth is nice and all if you can get it, but you want bulk wealth ASAP to restore liquidity to your finances. Build accordingly.

Unhappiness is -25 town growth to a province for a single turn, but that can't happen 2 turns in a row without a rebellion and at that point you have bigger problems. Keeping everyone happy is worth it.

You may consider going for arts to help your economic situation out. Merchant Houses is quick and easy (and you probably already have it), but don't overlook Central Reforms as the reduced administrative cost can be worth far more than you think. Not only that, but it leads to Revised Land Tax which grants an additional 10% tax rate. They are fairly late game techs and take a while, but if you are just holding on it can be worth putting a plan B into place to get you out of the rut.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 25, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
This is what the Chinese must've felt like when the Westerns showed up and told them how to actually do calculus and algebra whereas I'm still twiddling around with my abacus.

And then we learned their goddamn math because how else are you supposed to use artillery effectively :getin:

or opium

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FYI: Current Humble Bundle has Empire Total War and the Caesar DLC for like $4 and also Fall of the Samurai for anything over $12.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
A Friend In Need

Summer of 1553 (Continued)

"My Lord, I bring terrible news" burbled the scout. "Our vassals, the Bessho, are about to be overrun by the Amako and rumours abound of enemy agents sowing chaos throughout the land!"
"These are serious matters" noted Korekata, a flicker of annoyance briefly touching his face. "Prepare my forces to march and send word to our assets. Do what must be done."

Our vassals, the Bessho, are in serious, serious trouble with a large Amako force marking a blitz for their town. In addition, enemy Metsuke from the Otomo and Ito are streaming into our lands in an attempt to cause havoc. Especially concerning is the fact that the Otomo metsuke is rank 4 and the Ito one are rank 3, more than enough to cause serious damage!

Tameshige lay in wait outside the inn, his slouched form in the gutter looking all the world for a man lost in drink, but his eyes remained far too sharp. His informant had told him the Otomo metsuke intended to be meeting someone today.
"His ancestors" thought Tameshige to himself, suppressing a grin.
Hours passed before the Otomo metsuke arrived, but something wasn't right. His manner was alert, his hand on his sword hilt. Spotting Tameshige, he drew his sword ever so slightly...

The greatest threat to us is the Otomo metsuke, so we have to deal with him first. Luckily, we have none other than Tameshige in range, with an aptitude for murder that exceeds even Chisato. However, even with his enormous skill in assassination, the fact that metsuke are the natural counter to ninja and the high rank of the Otomo metsuke means this is little more than a coin flip. Assuming we fail, we have Fuyusuke stationed in Settsu to have a second bite of the cherry, but that leaves the Ito metsuke free to cause havoc...

Click here to see the mission!

With a practised motion, Tameshige glazed his eyes before dry heaving, then vomiting on his legs. The Otomo metsuke shook his head slightly, letting go of his sword and turning away in disgust. Taking his opening, Tameshige leap up and jammed his dagger into the side of the man, his other hand on the metsuke's sword hilt.
"No-one ever suspects the drunk" whispered Tameshige into the dying man's ear, before twisting the blade.

Never, ever doubt the skill and expertise of the Hattori ninja! One dead metsuke makes a big difference in our ability to hold this line, especially considering the Otomo will have a hard time replacing him. Tameshige was, in fact, trained and created for exactly this purpose, to deal with the enormous number of agents that will come across our borders in Realm Divide, especially the incredibly dangerous Missionaries.

Brutality was every bit as effective as finesse, if Tameshige was to be believed. Rumours circulated about people found hacked up by bizzare weapons, suffering from gruesome, jagged wounds. Like a cat toys with a mouse without compassion, so was Tameshige with others, toying with enemies through both word and deed.

A deadly combination of practise and natural skill make Tameshige deadlier than ever. Where Chisato holds the Hattori ideals deep in her heart, Tameshige embodies the Hattori ruthlessness.

For all the effectiveness of Tameshige, he was an uncontrollable weapon, eager to serve in these troubled times, but a man who would be most unsuited for peace. Or perhaps, all too well suited for a world at peace...

We are going to need more killing power without a doubt, so we fill in the final point in Exotic Weapons, boosting Tameshige's skill in assassination as well as making those we fail to kill take even longer to recover. You don't want to be a one trick pony, though, especially with only Korekata's army to hold this entire front. Sometimes you need to sabotage an enemy army to hold the line, so we take a point in Misdirection, giving us a slight edge with our army sabotage skill.

Less likely to get caught when you fail is fantastic, but when weighed up against making you less likely to fail in the first place, it's a simple choice. I'm simply less worried about failing an army sabotage than I am about failing to assassinate an enemy agent.

"The secret is the preservative" noted the merchant, his room perhaps a little too opulent for an honest trader. "It not only keeps the Fugu poison on the blade, but stops it from decaying for several days."
Tameshige grinned, his eyes gleaming. "I like it!"

Not that he looks likely to fail with a full 10(!) stars in assassination, beyond which the game simply gives you a (+) instead of showing how many stars you have. The actual amount skill counts, of course, but diminishing returns are certainly a thing. Regardless, no-one, no matter how skilled, is likely to survive an encounter with Tameshige (...well, Chisato would but...).

"Go to hell" the Ito metsuke spat, his broken arm hanging uselessly by his side as two guards held him up. "You have no right to do this."
"No right?" laughed Fuyusuke. "I have every right. I am Kotani Fuyusuke, working under direct orders of Yasunaga himself."
He gestured at the two guards and one twisted the metsuke's broken arm.
"Don't make me do that again" warned Fuyusuke. "Now I ask you one last time, what was your mission here and what is the objective of the Ito force near Tosa?"
"You win" blubbered the metsuke. "I'll tell you. Come closer."
Fuyusuke leaned in...

With one of the 3 major threats dealt with, we are able to make a move on the lesser agent. Although we will lose the income boost from Fuyusuke for this turn, we can't risk having that metsuke take out Fuyusuke and lose the income boost forever! Luckily for us, the odds are much better than for Tameshige.

The Ito mestuke spat in his face. "I would rather die than betray my Lord."
"Regrettable" noted Fuyusuke, drawing his sword across the Ito metsuke's stomach, entrails spilling hopelessly onto the ground.
The metsuke could only sob, broken.
"Leave him" ordered Fuyusuke. "He is no longer of use to us."

Woohoo! Our dice are running hot at the moment, but that can come to an end all too quickly. Even so, we have bought ourselves a turn or two of quiet on the agent front and a neat 15 experience to Fuyusuke which will go a long way towards ranking him up and increase his tax rate boost, something we sorely need right now.

"My Lord, a rider approaches!" noted the scout. "He wears Bessho colours!"
"Bring him to me immediately" ordered Korekata. "We shall see what our allies have to say."
"My Lord, it brings us great joy to see you here beside us" stated the rider. "I have been charged to tell you that we sally forth together, brothers in arms. Our forces are yours."
"Your loyalty is beyond question" noted Korekata. "That is why we are here today. The Hattori will uphold our end, for as long as you uphold yours."

The Bessho need our help and we are (for once) in a position to provide it. After all, if the Bessho fall then we have to deal with that Amako army anyway and then re-establish another vassal. Far more practical to keep them alive. Vassals make great buffer zones, but it can be worth looking after them sometimes. In reality though, I'm purely motivated by wanting to make the Amako as miserable as possible.

"The Amako are ahead!" yelled the scout. "They are in full battle array!"
"They could hardly miss us" noted Korekata, making a sweeping motion. "Captains, prepare your men for battle. My orders are simple, we strike with the force of a raging torrent and sweep them from these lands."
"An unusual tactic for you, my Lord" noted the ashigaru captain.
"You forget who you are addressing" admonished Korekata. "Your position is not to question my orders, but to execute them."
"Yes, my Lord" replied the captain, saluting.

Our first battle with an ally reinforcing us, as the Bessho bring 2 Generals and 2 Yari Samurai out to assist Korekata and his 1 Hattori Katana Samurai, 1 Hattori Yari Samurai, 13 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 4 Hattori Bow Ashigaru. The Amako forces of 2 Generals, 2 Katana Samurai, 3 Yari Samurai, 1 Yari Ashigaru and 4 Bow Ashigaru is actually a pretty solid force, so we can expect to take casualties but there can only be one outcome. Luckily, there isn't much action with other enemies on this front, so we will hopefully have time to replenish.

There is no battle commentary as an update bricked the replay
The lines crashed with great force and the fighting was bloody.
"Ready up, we charge!" ordered Korekata to his bodyguard. "We will carry this day on our own backs!"
"My Lord?" questioned the bodyguard. "The battle will fall in our favour."
"The Hattori are fearless, untouchable warriors who strike with endless fury" stated Korekata. "That is our reputation and I will not be anything less in front of our vassals. Yasunaga's honour demands no less."
"Honour is going to get us all killed" grinned the bodyguard, drawing his sword and spurring on his horse.
"Just as long as it kills them first!" replied Korekata, a faint smile on his face.

The Amako have a great hill to defend, so we will need to take advantage of our capacity to deploy outside the zones in order to pin them down from the start. In addition, we don't really want our vassals arriving in the fight to get themselves killed (and steal our glory), so we want to do this fast and hard.

The Amako samurai carved a heavy path through the Hattori ashigaru, but even taking such terrible losses, the Hattori never wavered. Korekata's banner was seemingly all over the battlefield, striking the enemy from the flanks, behind and then side by side with the hardest hit units, his cries of encouragement letting the Hattori forces find more than they thought possible. Panic started to ripple through the Amako ranks, was there no end to the Hattori? How could they be everywhere at once? Why couldn't they just die?

For every Hattori that fell, we took 2.5 Amako with us. A fair trade considering they were samurai and we were Hattori ashigaru. A powerful lesson to those who think that we are weak on the west flank because we don't have Yasunaga or Taketoshi there!

The Amako were in full flight, the combined Bessho and Hattori forces at their heels. There could be no doubt that no more than a handful would leave the field alive. The celebrations that night were long and loud.
"Masterfully fought" Tsunemitsu, Daimyo of the Bessho complimented Korekata. "They won't be back and we are in your debt."
"There is no debt" stated Korekata. "It is reward enough to have helped a friend in need."

Korekata himself demonstrates that his cold, methodical and incredibly practical manner extends to hand to hand combat, taking an impressive 115 kills and only losing 7 bodyguard in return. They might not be Yasunaga or Taketoshi numbers, but they are certainly enough to inspire respect! The real heroes of the fight were our archers, who racked up an incredible kill tally. Of course, 3 of our ashigaru units needed to tie up the enemy Katana samurai, and those units get rocked, one with only 13 troops left and the others left at half strength. Even so, this is a resounding victory!

Sneak Peek:Tosa Stands Tall

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've got to hand it to you, that Ashigaru army is kicking some rear end. Last time I tried to field an army like that I got my teeth kicked in.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
drat, your dudes continue to kick extreme rear end! Don't suppose you plan on trying to research the thing that lets you build an infamous Mizu Shobai (or however it was spelt) district? because I would love to see you put that in a ninja specialty province thus allowing you to recruit ninja at level 5 out the gate, because I can't imagine how much havoc you could dispense to your foes with that. I get the feeling it's more likely you will have simply won by the time you could have built that, but still, something I'd love to see (and I'm sure many others would like to see it too).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are there any charts that list how many kills each class needs to upgrade?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are there any charts that list how many kills each class needs to upgrade?

Actually, it's quite simple, a successful mission give 15xp, a failed one gives 3. This applies to all agents expect General in which case a successful battle only gives 10 (if they are the leading one in the case for when there's more than 1 general on the field, otherwise they just get 3), but this is in part to compensate for the fact they can have more then 1 battle a turn.

If I remember right the first level up takes 20 xp, the 2nd 40... and I don't remember how it scaled from there other than the final level (I think) taking 180xp.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Beautiful.

And hey man, look on the bright side. While the R2 update may have bricked your replays, the karma was balanced by those hilarious critical success dice rolls you pulled out of your rear end. Seriously, that Metsuke murder was something else.

Also, good to see Korekata getting his hands dirty a little in combat. Sure, he's still a little green compared to your other generals at the moment, but he's on the right track. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Stephen9001 posted:

Actually, it's quite simple, a successful mission give 15xp, a failed one gives 3. This applies to all agents expect General in which case a successful battle only gives 10 (if they are the leading one in the case for when there's more than 1 general on the field, otherwise they just get 3), but this is in part to compensate for the fact they can have more then 1 battle a turn.

If I remember right the first level up takes 20 xp, the 2nd 40... and I don't remember how it scaled from there other than the final level (I think) taking 180xp.
I meant the soldiers.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

I meant the soldiers.

Oh. In that case I have no idea, though I do remember something like one generals bodyguard being worth 12 yari ashigaru kills...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, two takedowns in one turn. How long are those agents that you took out going to be out of the game?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
From the reports, both attacks were fatal, so they're out of the game permently - or at least until their commander can train replacements.

There's a different message entirely if the assassin merely wounds, the Metsuke merely imprisons, or the monk merely confuses their target.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Hey everyone, thanks for being so patient and I hope everyone had an equally amazing and relaxing Christmas/New Years break. Always a slow time for LP, but even LPer's need a break sometimes too!

There was going to be an update tonight, but it turned out that the battle I really wanted to show off wasn't impacted in a game changing way and the bulk of it played out correctly, so I spent tonight preparing the battle video instead!

Update tomorrow and we get to see a Fortress defence in action!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Good news. I love Total War battles in which I defend a big castle.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
<- Petrol Blue Balls :cheeky:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Tosa Stands Tall

Summer of 1553 (Continued)

"We will strike the Ikko Ikki with force and they will shatter like flawed steel" commanded Yasunaga. "Recall Chisato, her skills will be needed soon."

A look at the man behind the curtain! The sharp eyed of you will notice that Mino is still listed as Takeda controlled, even though we took it last update! That's because although I did this before Taketoshi, that onslaught was far too good to leave to the last update of the turn. As such, just pretend everything is Hattori owned as it should be. Yasunaga needs to be down south taking the fight to the Ikko Ikki (or backing up Taketoshi against the Takeda!) and making a real difference. His movement is good, but I think it's time I showed the thread exactly why high level ninjas are the best thing ever.

"My Lord, you summoned me and I obey" stated Chisato. "What are your orders?"
"We must move with haste while the advantage is still ours" ordered Yasunaga. "You are to forward scout for our forces and to ensure that the destiny we carve is our own and no others."

When you put a ninja in a stack, you scout ahead for the army. This increases the line of sight of the army by 5 for each star in scouting, as well as increasing the movement speed of that army by 5% for each star in scouting. Chisato is also skilled in increasing the movement of the stack above and beyond her stars, so this will translate into a large movement boost.

"This path is safe for a night march, my Lord" reported Chisato. "We can yet catch a few more hours on the march without fear of misfortune."

What a movement boost that is! Note that Yasunaga didn't need to rely on Taketoshi to take out Mino, he could have done it himself all the way from Wakasa! With movement power like that, we can change fronts in a mere 2 turns and show the terrifying power that is the Hattori war machine.

"Let there be no doubt" stated Yasunaga, firmly. "We march to crush traitors and to end the threat to our families. The end is in sight and we will reach it!"

With no need to go to Mino (remember, Taketoshi took it last update), we move as far south as we can in order to prosecute our continued war against the Ikko Ikki. This crusade can have only one end. There will be no mercy and no remorse.

"Heard this is the big one" noted one soldier to another. "One last push and our enemies will collapse."
"Maybe" replied the other. "The Hattori are twice the size of any other clan and Kyoto is surrounded. The Emperor will surely see the failure of the old shogunate soon."
"Worry about staying alive and doing your duty!" bellowed the sergeant. "Leave the politics to the nobles!"

We have too many forces in Ise given that the front has moved away from it, so we dispatch some forces to meet up with Yasunaga in order to bolster his army. His forces, while relatively veteran, are still ashigaru and need the benefit of numbers especially considering the garrison forces we will need to prevent Ikko Ikki uprisings.

"Four sails, enemy flags!" yelled the lookout. "They are trying to slip past us!"
"Best of luck to them" laughed the admiral. "I was getting bored of chasing fat merchants anyway. Order the fleet, set an engagement course."

The Hojo and the Ikko Ikki attempt to sneak a fleet past us, but we won't let them through so easily. A chance to sink/capture 4 enemy ships at once is a great opportunity for our eastern fleet.

"They have been in rough waters for some time" noted the captain. "Their hulls and sails seem badly battered."
"We will make the roughest weather seem like a pleasant cruise" the admiral responded. "Send the order, aggressive tactics and no quarter."

Luckily for us, all the enemy ships are at less than full strength, but their force of 2 Sengoku Bune and 2 Bow Kobaya is quite reasonable compared to our 3 Medium Bune and 3 Bow Kobaya. With careful sailing we can use our superior ranged fire power to wear down the Sengoku Bune and to overwhelm the Bow Kobaya in melee combat, but getting it wrong could be quite expensive.

There is no battle video because an update bricked the replay
With a mighty splintering, the two Bune collided, held firmly in place with Hattori grapnels. Hattori sailors swarmed onto the Hojo ship, their years of sea warfare giving them an incomparable edge over the green Hojo sailors.
"The boarding proceeds well, my Lord" noted the captain, drumming the hilt of his blade with his fingertips. "It will be over soon."
"And you wouldn't want to miss the glory" laughed the admiral. "Very well, go join your men and take me that ship!"

It is open sea though and that gives us plenty of room to sail. This is our fight to lose.

"She's all yours, my Lord" reported the captain, saluting. "They never stood a chance."
The admiral nodded. "A fine prize to deny our enemies. We will not fail Yasunaga."

The Hattori have never bothered to learn the meaning of the word "lose"! Although we didn't manage to sink/capture all their ships, only a single Sengoku Bune managed to escape and it is certainly in no condition to fight us. Right now we can't really afford the extra ships, nor to de really need them, as the eastern seas remain relatively secure for the time being.

"The losses were light, my Lord" reported the first mate. "The Kishimaru took heavier losses than us, but she is still battle ready. There was little other of note."

Losses were minimal but are starting to eat into our combat effectiveness, although this loss is partially offset by the ever increasing veterancy in the fleet. Times like this really make me wish the game had naval replenishment, although then we wouldn't get to keep our absolutely ludicrous combat ranks.

"It's good to have the sea air on my face again" cheered the admiral. "You can't trust ground that doesn't move beneath your feet."

Our western fleet receives their newly repaired reinforcements and restores the fleet to a force to be reckoned with.

"You heard our orders!" barked the captain. "We must secure the straights and keep the homeland secure."

The southern fleet move back towards the natural chokepoint, continuing their mission to keep our incredibly vital trade lanes open and secure, as well as providing a second line of defence for any ships that slip past our eastern fleet.

"These numbers make no sense" complained Masanari. "Why are our coffers so lean?"
"War is expensive" replied the tutor. "Soldiers, horse and food all command a heavy price in this turmoil."
"That can't be all of it" replied Masanari. "Our forces are not that much larger, I have seen the reports."
"Garrison forces add up swiftly" replied the tutor. "But you are correct. Our trade partners severing their trade routes has left our merchants screaming with little to tax."
"How can we protect our people if we can't afford to feed our soldiers?" sighed Masanari. "I wish I was out there, making a real difference like father."
"Learning how to manage the good times as well as the bad will make you a better ruler" responded the tutor. "You are Hattori, your power is far more than leading an army."

Realm Divide has collapsed our income hard, although our expansion this turn has helped put some fat back into our coffers. Even so, a full half of our per turn profit comes from raiding the Ikko Ikki trading lanes and the rest comes from our own trade fleet importing incense, which almost certainly won't last much longer. For the moment the bank balance is healthy, but it's precarious and we can't afford to increase costs with additional troops or fleets. We have to take more land. Since we last saw our finances (6 turns ago!) we have managed to increase our total income by ~1280 koku, almost the entirety of which is raiding the Ikko Ikki. Our military upkeep, on the other hand, has exploded by ~3900 koku! The reality is that we have turned most of the trade income that we lost due to Realm Divide into raw tax income from provinces, but the transition period can be rough, especially if you are unprepared for it.

Summer of 1553 (Enemy Turn)

"My Lord, an Ito force is making it's way to here" reported the scout. "It seems they intend to attack."
"That can't be right" replied the cavalry captain. "We outnumber them two to one."
"If they have a death wish" noted the naginata captain. "Then they came to the right place. It's your call Hamanari, what do we do?"

"We prepare to fight."

The Ito, treacherous bastards that they are, launch their attack on Tosa as I had expected. Although the other provinces were less well defended, the AI didn't know that and Tosa is the closest town to that particular beach, so the AI can be relied upon to almost always attack south (especially if Tosa has upgraded roads and your other provinces do not).

"We hold the outer concourse here and here" stated the naginata captain, pointing at the map. "Our archers can rain fire down upon them from 3 directions before withdrawing safely."
"Two units per side should do it" noted Hamanari, cavalry captain. "We should use the blooded ashigaru."
The naginata captain nodded. "Fallback positions are the second gate and central courtyard. If they threaten the upper section my soldiers and I will hold them there until we are overrun."
"You seem to have it all worked out" replied Hamanari. "What should my forces do?"
"Sit pretty on your horse seems to be what most generals do" grinned the naginata captain, before looking thoughtful. "You are going to need to shine that bridle."
Hamanari burst out laughing. "They do at that! Let's show the Ito that we don't need a Taketoshi to whip them all the way across Japan!"

This must be an elaborate form of suicide. Although they do have 4 Generals, 3 Bow Samurai, 4 Yari Ashigaru and 1 Bow Ashigaru, we have 1 Light Cavalry, 1 Hattori Naginata Samurai, 7 Hattori Yari Ashigaru, 4 Hattori Bow Ashigaru and 1 Samurai Retainers! We outnumber them almost 2 to 1 and have the benefit of a Fortress, the first time we have seen such powerful defences under Hattori control in this LP. In a field battle this wouldn't be too much of a problem and the Power Bar suggests it is a 50/50. The Power Bar is incredibly wrong. :getin:

Click here to see the battle!
"Here they come" boomed the ashigaru captain. "Spears ready! Hold! HOLD! Let them have it!"
The Ito forces met the Hattori forces and the battle was joined. Sidestepping a sword stroke, he pushed the samurai back with the shaft of his spear before stabbing him.
"They die like anyone else!" he shouted. "Keep fighting!"
Despite the captain's encouragement, the samurai inflicted a heavy toll and pushing the Hattori forces back even as they paid for each step in blood.
"We can't hold much longer" yelled a Hattori soldier. "Where is the order to withdraw?"
"That's far enough!" boomed the naginata captain from the battlements. "ARCHERS! LOOSE!"
Suddenly, the world was full of the sound of hundreds of angry bees.

I love the long, thin fortress map, as it allows absolutely brutal punishment of anyone foolish enough attack without an overwhelming advantage. The high central walls allow archers to easily rain arrows down on enemy troops that are in the courtyards, over the heads of the defenders. Although your units will rout in the outer courtyards, it can often be worth sacrificing them to allow your archers to attack the enemy from 3 sides with a large height advantage as even a simple ashigaru unit can hold for long enough for your archers to kill far more opposition than the unit could possibly have done by themselves. In addition the thin concourse to the central tenshu allows your (likely incredibly depleted) units to hold many times their number through the choke-points while they fight to the death. It is a simply superb design intended to excel at one thing: killing your enemies.

The effect was instantaneous, as the Ito push slowed and faltered, before breaking completely.
"It's payback!" yelled the ashigaru captain. "Charge!"

Not bad for an "even" fight. This has been a hard lesson for the Ito, don't mess with the Hattori!

"The Ito won't try that again so soon!" boasted the naginata captain. "I even got a nice little bit of fighting from those stupid enough to not run."
"I'm glad you had fun" responded Hamanari. "But we must ensure their forces are eliminated to the last soldier."
"True" replied the naginata captain. "But you will need to be fast."
"Now that, my friend" grinned Hamanari. "Is where I have an edge on you."

Look at those Bow Ashigaru kills :allears:. A great performance all around for our forces and a solid victory. Yes, the unit in the meatgrinder got nearly obliterated, but that's why you use ashigaru for that job. If you really want to see endless slaughter, use a Naginata Samurai unit for the outer concourse and watch enemies break like waves on a rock. Regardless, a turn of replenishment will fix ~50% of our casualties. I'm starting to feel like we can't be stopped...

Sneak Peek: Hard Choices

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Wow, that fort attack sure was brutal! I almost feel sorry for the Ito, except no-one forced them to attack. Silly Ito...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So where would you have put the garrison ashi to be blockers? I know there'd be one in the gap in the lower concourse, but where would the bows go?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Do you not put yari ashigaru in spear wall formation? It's really amazing how much more powerful yari ashi get if you can stick them in spear wall and let them stand their ground vs an enemy. And that would have been a perfect place and time for it.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, that narrow castle is one of my favorites too. Not only is it easy to defend, the lvl. 1 version of the castle is usually very easy to attack too. With the lvl 1. version of the castle the AI usually deploys a good chunk of it's army outside the walls, thus allowing you to defeat it in detail. Most peculiar.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The castles are the same in both vanilla and FotS, right? Attacking that would be so much worse if the archers were riflemen. Even if you brought artillery, you'd probably run out of shells before you could really thin their numbers that much, unless you brought something crazy like a half-stack of just Armstrong Guns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I rarely see three rank promotions outside of naval battles.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

VostokProgram posted:

The castles are the same in both vanilla and FotS, right? Attacking that would be so much worse if the archers were riflemen. Even if you brought artillery, you'd probably run out of shells before you could really thin their numbers that much, unless you brought something crazy like a half-stack of just Armstrong Guns.

It's definitely something of a small slice of hell, but FotS actually has a bit of a "hidden bonus" to the attackers - namely, the fact that kneel fire works for units outside walls while units on walls can't take advantage of that. Throw in the improved power and accuracy of rifles that make a mock of the shielding of the walls, and a rifle unit with kneel fire can sweep an equivalent unit from the walls fairly easily if they just stand and trade fire.

The advantage goes back to the defenders when they simply back away and kneel fire on units trying to clamber over the walls, though. It's a good thing the AI tends not to be bright enough to recognize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tomn posted:

It's definitely something of a small slice of hell, but FotS actually has a bit of a "hidden bonus" to the attackers - namely, the fact that kneel fire works for units outside walls while units on walls can't take advantage of that. Throw in the improved power and accuracy of rifles that make a mock of the shielding of the walls, and a rifle unit with kneel fire can sweep an equivalent unit from the walls fairly easily if they just stand and trade fire.

The advantage goes back to the defenders when they simply back away and kneel fire on units trying to clamber over the walls, though. It's a good thing the AI tends not to be bright enough to recognize this.

Generally speaking in FotS, if you're trying to clear riflemen off of walls the easiest way is to have a couple units of Sharpshooters (or Tosa Riflemen, if you want a good laugh) and just let them sit right outside gun range and deplete the defenders. Just spread thinly parallel to the wall and watch the numbers go down. Combined with the attacker's ability to effectively use artillery (Parrott and Armstrong guns can't generally shoot out of the fort), there's really very little reason you should lose even a moderately disadvantageous assault in the late game.

Artillery in FotS isn't like artillery in vanilla Shogun - Parrott and Armstrong guns, especially with some veterancy and/or building accuracy boosts are absolute murder on defenders. When a wall segment is fully damaged, all units standing on the wall are sent flying and generally killed. Units standing away from the wall can be targeted normally and generally will take large casualties, Parrott/Armstrong guns carry ammo for 20 volleys, so there's really no way to avoid taking severe casualties before you ever get the chance to shoot a single attacker. All the attacker needs is some patience.

• Locked thread