Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

shalcar posted:

"Traitorous cowards" bellowed Yasunaga, the missive crumpled in his gauntleted fist. "So be it! If the other lords wish to sacrifice themselves, then I will see the flames burn bright."

Those magnificent, magnificent bastards. You are probably thinking "The Takaoka are on the west of our empire, right? Our vassals? What the hell is going on?" and you would be right, they are. So let me explain what's going on here. The Takeda want to go to war with us, not the Takaoka. If they declare war on us directly, our vassals, the Takaoka and the Bessho will join us in the fight. However, the Takaoka and the Bessho are not allied, so if the Takeda declare war on the Takaoka, there are two possible outcomes. The first is that I support my vassal and so the Takeda are at war with me and the Takaoka, a net win on declaring on me directly. The second option is that I abandon my vassal and lose them, at which point the Takeda will do the same thing with the Bessho and then finally with me, after which they will peace out with the Bessho and Takaoka leaving just me vs the Takeda. Given the choice between losing my vassals and going to war or just going to war, there really is only one choice.

Okay, I'm confused here. In the first picture, you're given the opportunity to either support your ally (Takaoka) or decline, breaking your alliance with them. But in the second picture, it shows you breaking your alliance with... the Takeda? If you were allied with both of them, why was the option to join the Takeda on the attack grayed out? And is there some indication I missed that both the aggressor and the defender had alliances with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

FredMSloniker posted:

Okay, I'm confused here. In the first picture, you're given the opportunity to either support your ally (Takaoka) or decline, breaking your alliance with them. But in the second picture, it shows you breaking your alliance with... the Takeda? If you were allied with both of them, why was the option to join the Takeda on the attack grayed out? And is there some indication I missed that both the aggressor and the defender had alliances with you?

The Takaoka aren't just allies of the Hattori, they're vassals of the Hattori. You don't get to attack your own vassals, no matter how much your allies want to.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

shalcar posted:

you might find that turn 40 is... rather heroic.

"Heroic". When you consider that in Japanese terms, that usually means something not that good is coming... Oh dear.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This update made my day! :3:

Good job on the Takeda declaring war right when your best general is sitting in their territory with a huge army, but I guess they'd have to fight eventually either way.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always wonder what possible expenditures agents make when tasked to do something simple like oratory or setting a building on fire, to cost a hundred koku?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

I always wonder what possible expenditures agents make when tasked to do something simple like oratory or setting a building on fire, to cost a hundred koku?
The ninja probably need to buy some foul-smelling alchemical concoction that allows the fire to accellerate quickly.
As for the monks, well you can't just stand in a square in any old hobo and expect people to recognize a holy man. Clearly the monk is getting a fine new robe, and paying for varnish of his soapbox.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

GhostBoy posted:

The ninja probably need to buy some foul-smelling alchemical concoction that allows the fire to accellerate quickly.
As for the monks, well you can't just stand in a square in any old hobo and expect people to recognize a holy man. Clearly the monk is getting a fine new robe, and paying for varnish of his soapbox.

Preaching and converting are free, actually. The only Monk action that costs money is rebellion!

I just figured for ninja that staying hidden requires buying off a lot of people.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

shalcar posted:

Preaching and converting are free, actually. The only Monk action that costs money is rebellion!

I just figured for ninja that staying hidden requires buying off a lot of people.

CHISATO'S JOURNAL

"Local metsuke was looking at me a little too closely - possible my leper makeup was smudged. I managed to blind him by throwing koku at him until he remembered he had an appointment on the other side of town."

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Now all I can think about is a ninja going "Shoo! Shoo!" at a beggar while throwing rice at them and I'm cracking up.

(A koku is ~150 kilograms of rice but it was a handy value to peg your currency to, being roughly what one person can live on in a year).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A spin on crushing people with your kindness.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

shalcar posted:

Now all I can think about is a ninja going "Shoo! Shoo!" at a beggar while throwing rice at them and I'm cracking up.

(A koku is ~150 kilograms of rice but it was a handy value to peg your currency to, being roughly what one person can live on in a year).

To be fair, this is pretty effective in it's own way. Chuck a 10kg bag of rice at some peasant's head, and they certainly won't be remembering you. :v:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Just thought I'd let you guys know that there's a weekend Steam sale on all Total War games (except Rome 2), they are all (except Rome 2) 75% off!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Ninja don't work for free, yo. Ninja got to gets paid, son. :whatup:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
A direct quote from a pre-battle video with Taketoshi in charge: "I could never work out who was in charge of a Takeda army. Then I realised they were all idiots, so what use is a leader?"

:allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sweet mercy that bridge battle. drat cheaty ninjas!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:ninja:- Hey guys, nice bridge! What's on the other side?

:downs:- Oh man, it's gonna be sweet, we've got a ton of bows, and we're gonna shoot the crap out of... those... ninja..

:ninja:- :smug:

:saddowns:- ...

Fade to black, squelching sounds and a 50s sitcom laughtrack.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 28, 2014

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

shalcar posted:

Well, it's certainly been a while! September is a big month in my families calendar and combined with my career no longer loving around, I'm plumbing new depths of no free time. Student me would barely recognise my life at 30, more money than time is odd, to say the least.

Still going strong and I'm absolutely going to finish, I have not forgotten you all! We move into high gear now as we power towards the finish and if my plan comes to fruition, you might find that turn 40 is... rather heroic.

My plan is to have this all finished by Christmas, but with that only 13 weeks away, it might be pretty tight. Nevertheless, we will see!

The fact we have no new updates since this post is worrying... did October somehow have less free time than September? Oh well, hoping this still gets finished eventually, good luck and we all believe in you. Apologies to anyone this post gave false hope to.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

The fact we have no new updates since this post is worrying... did October somehow have less free time than September? Oh well, hoping this still gets finished eventually, good luck and we all believe in you. Apologies to anyone this post gave false hope to.

I appreciate the concern. October was... a less than ideal month, with two deaths, one the suicide of a family friend and the other a sudden passing of a family member.

I've been putting in LP work whenever I found the time and the drive and I've got ~3 updates worth of images and video ready to go, so I'll have an update up in the next few days. Sorry for the delay.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

shalcar posted:

I appreciate the concern. October was... a less than ideal month, with two deaths, one the suicide of a family friend and the other a sudden passing of a family member.

I've been putting in LP work whenever I found the time and the drive and I've got ~3 updates worth of images and video ready to go, so I'll have an update up in the next few days. Sorry for the delay.

Yikes, that sounds depressing, I won't hold not updating against you when stuff like that happens, still even if it's selfish of me, glad to see my attempt to nudge you seems to have worked.

Again, you have my condolences.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

shalcar posted:

No apology needed, dude. I think dealing with grief is a bit higher on the priority scale than elpees.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

shalcar posted:

drat. I am sorry to hear that. Suicide is never easy to deal with take all the time you need.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

shalcar posted:

Once again, belated condolences. Take all the time you need to work through your personal losses, and we'll wait for you to post an update on your own schedule when you feel up to it. Sorry if I bothered you over Steam.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Let's have an update to end this rather awkward conversation about my personal life.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Taketoshi Unleashed

Summer of 1553

"We have a lot of land to cover" noted Korekata, sweeping his hand over the map. "But we have orders from Yasunaga. We will not fail them."

With the need to move Korekata and his defensive army around quickly on the western flank, we construct Roads in Settsu. The additional replenishment is nice, but the real benefit is the additional movement, allowing Korekata and his forces to defend a wider area of our empire, as well as making it faster to get reinforcements to him.

"My Lord, our metsuke are terrifyingly proficient at their tasks, but our enemies do not fear their reach as they should" noted the advisor. "Perhaps a more direct show of power is in order?"
"Our metsuke are too busy performing critical missions" replied Yasunaga. "But there is wisdom in what you say. We shall see."

Another basic mission, this time to bribe an army with one of our Metsuke, with the reward increasing our Metsuke success rate by 10%. I'm not too worried about this one, our Metsuke are far too valuable producing additional koku right now and the extra 10% to success would really only be useful for apprehending enemy agents. If the opportunity arise to snag a baby stack cheaply then it might be worth taking, but even that has to be weighed up to the opportunity cost. One neat thing that I've not mentioned before is that the artwork for the agent missions is each of the 4 agent types as silhouettes, which I think is a nice touch (The Geisha is obviously above mere missions!).

"I only mention it because our enemies have struck with underhanded tactics, critical infrastructure in Kaga has been sabotaged" continued the advisor. "It was heavily damaged and would take a large investment to restore."
"That takes guts!" laughed Yasunaga. "We are the Hattori! Let them have their small victories, when the time comes for our gaze to shift upon them, they will never see the blade coming."

We are not the only clan with access to ninja! Our Blacksmith in Kaga to the north has been sabotaged, with the repairs in excess of 1000 koku, money which we simply don't have. For the time being, it will have to burn, the advantage it provides us lost. Buildings which are not repaired will regenerate 5% of their total health a turn but will never fully repair, so we can save some money by waiting it out. This can be especially helpful on buildings like the State Academy which are incredibly expensive to repair. We have no agents in the area and buildings/gates tend to be cheap to repair, so this is more of an annoyance than a huge threat, but we will need to work out how to deal with this threat.

"There should be peace" preached Nobuchika. "Harmony between brother and brother. The Takeda have long been willing to stand with their allies, why not now?"

With the Takeda betraying us, Taketoshi is trapped, unable to move and given no choice but to fight his way out. Nobuchika has a chance to demoralise the enemy force and we will take it. The Takeda almost certainly have a 2 stack army based on their power rating and we will need to make solid headway while losing minimal forces in order to be able to weather their betrayal. Securing swift early victories will go a long way towards achieving that.

"Together, the Hattori and Takeda were ascendant" continued Nobuchika. "But apart, they can only fall, tearing at each other like dogs."
The assembled Takeda forces looked nervous.
"Trapped by your own hand is Taketoshi, a ferocious demon that strikes with the fury of lightning" boomed Nobuchika. "Surrounded by thousands of the Hattori's finest soldiers! How can you hope to win when you enrage such a monster?"

Success! Although Nobuchika isn't a hugely powerful monk and only provides -1 morale, even that can make a huge difference between a unit holding the line when charged in the rear or instantly breaking.

Words came easier now, the passion in them genuine. The fire of youth burned brightly, so sure of his place in the world.

Monks rarely stay low level forever with how cheap their actions are and Nobuchika is no exception (They either get good fast or dead fast). Luckily for us, it's the positive sort with another level under our belt.

It was infectious, the dangerous combination of passion and reasoning. Even a seasoned and loyal man could find those words offering an enchanting view of the world, a simplicity of action that could be so difficult to grasp in the murky politics of total war.

This close to hostile territory, we can expect a constant influx of enemy agents, so we need to be prepared to take them out. Religious Advisor gives us just that boost, not only increasing the likelihood of success when converting enemy agents (converted agents just retire to a life of religious contemplation, we don't get them like with army bribery despite what the name implies) but also making those attempts cheaper. It's an offensive approach as it doesn't help us defend against those wishing to harm us, but since we will likely be one or two provinces behind the front lines while converting, we should see them coming.

Ikko Ikki or Shinto Buddhist alike, few could doubt the potential that rested in Nobuchika.

A relatively versatile monk! Able to deal with both enemy agents and also keep the peace in towns suffering unrest (religious or otherwise), Nobuchika is a good agent to have on the pointy end of our conquest.

"My Lord, Takeda forces approach!" reported the scout. "They are in battle formation with support of the garrison!"
"I see" noted Taketoshi. "If the Takeda have chosen to die then so be it. No mercy."

With no options to move, Taketoshi is forced to attack! Not that we would have done anything else, but missing out on the replenishment because the Takeda betrayed us is somewhat annoying. I guess if you want to replenish in a province, you have to take it yourself. Let's unleash the beast.

"This thick fog will make maneuver difficult" noted Taketoshi, a slow smile forming on his face. "Let's see who brought the superior force!"

With the Takeda garrison reinforcing their army, they bring a respectable 6 Yari Samurai and 4 Bow Samurai against our 5 Hattori Katana Samurai, 9 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 3 Hattori Bow Ashigaru. While they have a quality edge, there can be no doubt we have the leadership edge, with Taketoshi completely outclassing his opponent.

Click here to see the battle!
"Charge!" bellowed Taketoshi, spurring his horse onwards as arrows whipped in both directions. "For the Hattori! Spare no-one!"
The fog was thick and the terrain difficult, blunting much of the Hattori charge. Yet despite these arduous conditions, no Hattori soldier faltered. They knew their general would lead them to victory and bring them home.

With heavy forest, bows and cavalry are going to be much less effective, which is both a blessing and a curse. With Taketoshi limited from sweeping the enemy ranged units we are going to be forced to rely on infantry power to take the field, but with their bows of limited use we can use our ashigaru to do the bulk of the fighting. We will need to leave a garrison force behind in Owari when we take it, so it's probably best to have the most easily replenished part of our forces do the dying.

"The Takeda banner has fallen, my Lord" a bodyguard announced. "They are in retreat!"
"Pursue them!" ordered Taketoshi. "They must not reach the safety of the fortification."

A great success at not quite 3 to 1 casualties in our favour. Considering our losses were primarily ashigaru and theirs were all samurai, I would say we came out ahead on this deal! Taketoshi's force is now quite heavily veteran, but also worn down by the constant fighting. Unfortunately for them, there is still plenty of fighting left to do!

Despite the thick fog, none could escape the honed senses of the Hattori forces and Taketoshi. Slowly, methodically and without mercy, the survivors were hunted down and eliminated.

Look at those kills. Losing 3 of Taketoshi's bodyguard for a mere 13 kills is pretty embarrassing, but the rest is a great deal, with the loss of roughly 2 units worth of Yari Ashigaru in exchange for completely obliterating traitors.

"We can't let the traitors have a moments rest" ordered Taketoshi. "We will take Owari and teach the Takeda the meaning of the word fear!"

The enemy defensive garrison has been crushed, there is now only one thing left to do. We must assault the castle.

"The enemy can not resist us, for we are the Hattori!" bellowed Taketoshi. "The Takeda have awakened a demon and we will deliver the their obliteration!"

With 5 Hattori Katana Samurai, 9 Hattori Yari Ashigaru and 3 Hattori Bow Ashigaru against 1 Samurai Retainers, the outcome is not remotely in doubt. Thanks for the free 10 experience for Taketoshi!

There is no battle video
"My Lord, the garrison is small" reported the scout. "Barely a single unit."
"Arrogance!" snorted Taketoshi. "Fly high our banners, light our lanterns, bang the drums and blare the horns. Let the Takeda know that their destruction comes for them with the fury of Heaven."

One of the tougher maps to attack, if the Takeda actually had any defenders.

"My Lord, a rider approaches!" noted the scout.
"I seek council with Taketoshi" stated the rider. "I bring terms."
"I am Taketoshi" replied Taketoshi. "State your terms."
"We offer our surrender" responded the rider. "As long as we are allowed to leave peacefully."
"A sensible offer" nodded Taketoshi. "I accept. Go tell your men."

Flawless victory.

As the rider departed, Taketoshi turned to the samurai captain.
"When they are free of the fortification, cut them down" stated Taketoshi. "Leave none alive."
"My Lord" protested the samurai captain. "You gave your word."
"They are traitors to their lord and to Yasunaga" responded Taketoshi. "My word with them means nothing."

Swept away by arrows like leaves down a raging river. Traitors get their just desserts.

"The province is ours, my Lord" stated the samurai captain. "A lucrative province, both strategically and economically. This would be a good place to replenish our forces."

One province closer to victory! Although Owari isn't a key province, once we seize Mino it will mean we no longer have Omi on the front line, which will buy us a lot of peace of mind. If nothing else, these provinces serve as critical buffer to our heartland.

"It would, but we have other plans" replied Taketoshi, briskly. "Tell the captains of the units which are not combat ready to garrison and fortify this place. Everyone else is to prepare to march immediately."
"March for where, my Lord?" asked the samurai captain.

Owari is quite rich and a great prize, netting us an additional ~500 koku a turn which will more than cover the garrison we need here. With Ikko Ikki faith gripping roughly 1/3rd of the populace, the garrison will be larger than I would like, but Nobuchika should help bring that down to a more manageable level soon enough. Although Owari is only sparsely developed with a Fort, Yari Drill Yard, Improved Irrigation (Very Fertile Soil), Roads and Trading Port, it has great wealth thanks to the very rich soils.

"We march for Mino" ordered Taketoshi. "Reports indicate that the Takeda can offer little resistance. Who can resist the Hattori?"

Our job here is far from done, however. The Takeda foolishly betrayed us with Taketoshi on their doorstep and I intend to show them the price of their arrogance. Leaving behind only enough to barely suppress rebellion in Owari, we march onto the undefended Mino.

"Our approach has gone unnoticed, my Lord" the scout reported. "The enemy garrison is merely a skeleton and they have no long range patrols."
"Then we move with speed" replied Taketoshi. "All units are to attack. Sweep them from the field!"

Blitzkrieg, it works just as well in the Sengoku Jidai! With no defenders, they have no chance.

There is no battle video
As Hattori soldiers leapt over the battlements the alarm bell rang, the garrison rushing to repel them. Their task was hopeless, their numbers too few. Soon they would fall.

We had to leave some of our bows behind, so we might make it to the walls this time before the defenders are all dead.

"Fall back!" yelled the garrison commander. "Fall back to the Tenshu. There we will make our stand!"

We made it to the walls and lost some Yari Ashigaru. A fair trade, in my opinion.

Taketoshi wiped his blade on the uniform of a fallen Takeda soldier.
"Another glorious victory" he noted. "Report!"
"Two dozen incapacitated or killed" reported the samurai captain. "No enemy survivors."
"Good" nodded Taketoshi, grimly.

Seems we need 3 units to take a single Samurai Retainer unit. Those guys were the rookies anyway, we needed to toughen them up as wall fodder.

"We have control of the fortification and the outer areas" continued the samurai captain. "The road network is excessive for a province of this size. They must be expecting to move many troops through here."
"They may come to regret that" replied Taketoshi. "Roads work both ways."

Another province captured but this time it's a critical one! Mino was the last named province (outside of Kyoto) that we need for our victory conditions. Now we simply need to reach 25 provinces in size and take Kyoto to win. Thank you Takeda for saving me the trouble of backstabbing you!

"My Lord, there is an enemy unit to the west moving towards the town" reported the scout. "They must be unaware that we have taken control here."

Unlike Owari though, Mino is rubbish and produces barely enough wealth to sustain a garrison. With a Fort, Yari Drill Yard, Improved Irrigation (Average Soil) and Post Roads and Stations. The only thing of note in the province is the exceptionally well developed road network and given the relatively large size of the province and the rather battered state of our troops, it's a nice boon that is a welcome relief. Ikko Ikki presence here is basically non-existent, so while it won't support much of a garrison, it won't really need one.

"Leave behind a small garrison, have everyone else prepare to move out" ordered Taketoshi. "We have one last job to do."

You thought we were done after defeating an army and taking 2 provinces? Taketoshi is just getting warmed up! Leaving behind another skeleton garrison, we sally forth to push the Takeda completely out of our territory.

"CHARGE!" bellowed Taketoshi, spurring his horse onward. "Leave none alive! For the Hattori!"

A single Bow Samurai caught on the way to reinforce what would have been their armies had we not completely obliterated them all. This won't end well.

This battle was autoresolved

The Hattori forces swarmed upon the Takeda troops like ants upon a carcass. Their ferocity was unmatched and the Takeda ill equipped to deal with it. Wavering for a moment, the Takeda broke and ran.

It's going to be tricky to beat a 30 to 1 kill ratio, but I'm willing to give it a shot. A complete massacre.

"We are unstoppable!" celebrated the samurai captain. "The Takeda can mount no opposition!"
"We have sent a strong message" stated Taketoshi. "But their forces will regather and they will strike back. We must not underestimate them as they underestimated us."

Not much to talk about here, pretty standard autoresolve numbers when the fight is ludicrously one sided.

Of great concern is the remainder of the Takeda forces. I'm expecting at least 1, if not 2 full stacks left and with the speed of our advance they would be 1, maybe 2 turns away at most and Taketoshi is in no condition to fight a full stack, let alone more than one even if we were behind walls. I really want to push forward that little bit harder and take South Shinano as it's one of, if not the best choke-point in the entire game, but I'm nervous. Are we biting off more than we can chew?

Sneak Peek: A Friend in Need

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

shalcar posted:

Are we biting off more than we can chew?

We would be, but this is Taketoshi we're talking about. The Conqueror of Shikoku does not know the meaning of the word "restraint"! :black101:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VostokProgram posted:

We would be, but this is Taketoshi we're talking about. The Conqueror of Shikoku does not know the meaning of the word "restraint"! :black101:

Well, yes, he probably doesn't speak English. :v:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

my dad posted:

Well, yes, he probably doesn't speak English. :v:

What's Japanese for restraint then?

Also, glad to see you updating shalcar.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Good to have you back, Shalcar!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, quite a blitzkrieg by Taketoshi there... 4 battles in one turn, and taking 2 provinces? Sure, 3 of those battles were just you cleaning up a single unit, but that's still pretty impressive. Your bows acquitted themselves well against samurai, even with the poor terrain and weather conditions, though I guess the latter hurt the Takeda army there more than they did you. Still, you did take massive casualties on one of your more experienced Yari Ashigaru units, which will probably take forever to replenish, knocking down their experience in the process, which is a shame. The terrain really blunted your use of numbers too, as charging uphill caused your initial ashigaru wave to take more casualties than they would otherwise. Oh well, those units will be cooling their heels in garrison duties for the next couple of turns, provided those Takeda armies you're fearing they have don't materialize anytime soon and attack.

And your turn isn't even over yet, right? There's still Yasunaga's front to deal with, as well as anything Koretaka has to deal with. This looks to be a productive turn for you. How many provinces do you have now and what's your economy look like? While taking Owari and Mino probably added a bit to your coffers, do the costs of maintaining them offset that gain?

Also, good to see you back in the saddle, shalcar. Again, sorry for pestering you on Steam last night.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

GhostStalker posted:

And your turn isn't even over yet, right? There's still Yasunaga's front to deal with, as well as anything Koretaka has to deal with. This looks to be a productive turn for you. How many provinces do you have now and what's your economy look like? While taking Owari and Mino probably added a bit to your coffers, do the costs of maintaining them offset that gain?

That's right, this turn is our biggest yet and will span 3 updates. The economy question will be answered and I believe we have 6 provinces left to get (Kyoto included) but don't quote me on that.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

shalcar posted:

It's going to be tricky to beat a 30 to 1 kill ratio, but I'm willing to give it a shot. A complete massacre.

Tricky, but not impossible. I would heartily recommend Fall of the Samurai for this. Armstrong guns are just unfair against traditional troops.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

David Corbett posted:

Tricky, but not impossible. I would heartily recommend Fall of the Samurai for this. Armstrong guns are just unfair against traditional troops.

I'm looking forward to when Shalcar gets to Fall of the Samurai. I picked it up on a steam sale and proceeded to not understand anything I was doing and lose all my battles. Can't wait to see it done right.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm looking forward to when Shalcar gets to Fall of the Samurai. I picked it up on a steam sale and proceeded to not understand anything I was doing and lose all my battles. Can't wait to see it done right.

the beginning can be tough when you don't have artillery and all fights are basically 2 lines of dudes who can't hit poo poo shooting at each other while you try and maneuver horseman around, but once you get the ball rolling though and start getting canons and modern infantry, you'll regularly be destroying armies twice the size of you with minimal losses.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

David Corbett posted:

I once tried out max Armstrong guns versus max Ikko Ikki ashigaru during a siege battle. So many wonderful explosions. :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How does each AI prioritize the growth of provinces?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:neckbeard:

Good to have you back, Shalcar! Does the game model fatigue at all? Four back-to-back fights implies not, though the later ones were simple enough I'm unsure.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

petrol blue posted:

Good to have you back, Shalcar! Does the game model fatigue at all? Four back-to-back fights implies not, though the later ones were simple enough I'm unsure.
It models in-battle fatigue, but the troops start each battle fully rested.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Remember that the "four back to back" battles take course over approximately a season. Heck, the weather can change between four battles from four different armies camped outside your city, implying they take place on different days.

Also, I was quite delighted to see this resuming, and second the "looking forward to Fall" comment!

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

petrol blue posted:

:neckbeard:

As both Fat Samurai and Nekomimi-Maiden so kindly pointed out, the game does model fatigue on a per unit/battle basis, with each fight resetting their fatigue (with a turn being roughly 3 months in length). In addition, actually engaging in a fight consumes a fair chunk of your army movement points (~15% or so), representing that your troops need time to rest and recover after a battle in which they can't be marching. We are able to sneak 4 fights in because we didn't have very far to move and where we did move was all on highly developed roads. In practise, it's incredibly difficult to have 4 fights with the one army in a single turn!

Scalding Coffee posted:

How does each AI prioritize the growth of provinces?

I'm not sure I understand the question. By growth, do you mean how does the AI determine what buildings to put in what slots and when to upgrade existing buildings or did you mean something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

shalcar posted:

As both Fat Samurai and Nekomimi-Maiden so kindly pointed out, the game does model fatigue on a per unit/battle basis, with each fight resetting their fatigue (with a turn being roughly 3 months in length). In addition, actually engaging in a fight consumes a fair chunk of your army movement points (~15% or so), representing that your troops need time to rest and recover after a battle in which they can't be marching. We are able to sneak 4 fights in because we didn't have very far to move and where we did move was all on highly developed roads. In practise, it's incredibly difficult to have 4 fights with the one army in a single turn!

Still, get enough turns like that and Taketoshi could become a 6 star general! How close is he to 5 stars at this point?

• Locked thread