Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You are right about hostages being of questionable usefulness, I don't think I've ever gotten one back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

twig1919 posted:

It pretty much will give him less incentive to use archers and more incentive to get cavalry. Just a guess since I don't own vanilla Shogun 2.

From my experience night battles don't play very differently from day battles. Their main advantage is that there are no enemy reinforcements in night battles.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Is it possible for Honour to drop below 1 (to 0 or even a negative number)? What are the effects if it does drop to 0 or lower? Have you ever gotten to a point where your Daimyo's Honour was so low that you deliberately tried to kill him off by marching him into a stack of yari ashigaru, so that his heir could take over?

Killing off bad family members was a crucial family management strategy in Medieval 2 to keep bad traits from spreading. Because Shogun 2 takes place over at most 50 years compared to 250+ of Medieval 2 the family management aspect is much reduced.

That said, if you manage to get to 1 or 2 honor and don't have many ranks on your Daimyo, it is definitely worth it to kill him off to get a new one.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Why didn't that naval battle give you the option of chasing down routers? In land combat the auto will usually do it better, but in naval combat its a great way to capture ships. Can you not do this in Shogun 2? I did it a ton in Empire/Napoleon and cant remember if they removed it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

One thing I'm a fan of when your archers' original targets have moved into bad positions, but I don't want to pause and give everyone new orders is: select all of them, turn off file at will, tell them to stop attacking, then turn back on fire at will. They will reacquire better suited targets, it seems like.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

In the first battle with the Ikko was there a strategic building on the minimap? I've never seen one in a non MP battle before.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

quote:

we can see a new penalty to Taketoshi's loyalty - "Upstart Generals". At rank 4, 5 and 6, this debuff to loyalty will increase by 1 as the general starts to wonder if maybe they wouldn't be doing a better job leading the clan. It's different to "Delusions of Grandeur", which happens if your Daimyo is 2 ranks lower than the general. Other sons will still get the Upstart debuff, but it's called Upstart Sons.
I think upstart generals comes from when you enlist new a new general all your existing ones get the penalty. Upstart sons is when you adopt more sons.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

That castle is interesting. Its very easy to defend as a human, but the AI is terrible at defending it. Virtually no matter the garrison it can be taken without losses by putting most of your forces out front and looking menacing while setting 2 units of ashigaru up the backside to take the Tenshu.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

That bug is new to me, but you should almost always continue naval battles anyway and chase the routers yourself. For example in this case you could have easily captured all 4 of those Sengoku Bune, but 2 managed to get away in the auto resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Promontory posted:

Do all bridge battle maps in Shogun 2 have two different crossings? Is there any difference between going over the ford or the bridge? I suppose you can move more people across the ford at once, but they'll be slowed down and have to fight uphill. I can see why would choose to have at least two options. Bridge battles have always been spectacularly brutal in Total War games, but there's not much room for tactics if there's only one crossing.

Speaking of spectacle, after a little pause your videos struck me with how pretty Shogun 2 is! Nice colours, lots of little animations and details and a sleek UI. I don't know why, but Rome 2 just looks a little offputting to me. Maybe it's the colour filter.

I think all the bridge maps have at least 1 other crossing. Fords are wider, but you move slower and get more fatigue moving through water, and they are usually at a lower elevation so there are penalties there too. Bridges don't have those, but are very narrow, letting less men through and making them easier to kill with arrows when the clump up. Also sometimes the movement AI does weird things when giving orders around bridges.

• Locked thread