Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I know you said there wouldn't be mods, but there are some that remove arbitrary unit limitations. You might be able to test out units you wouldn't be able to field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I will always remember my first game I used my son in several deals. Each time I got him back, the clan died one or two turns after. I don't know if they kill the wife of a Daimyo, but his sister was married off just in time to move my troops through some troublesome province which quickly fell. My future Shogun ended up invading that province and wiping out the clan.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't remember the game telling you about certain difficulties of climbing walls.

One of the first mods I ever installed was getting rid of that Horo. It did make an amusing sight of people very prepared to loot the province.

If you want to use siege weapons, you play Fall.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Autoresolve also handles naval battles in a weird way, but that is for later.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have liked the advice of expanding early on instead of building an army, when I first started. Fall for that in every 4X.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GhostStalker posted:

Dunno where I can go from here, I'm nowhere near Realm Divide, only about 2/3 of the way up the meter. Only hold 11 provinces outright, so unless I declare on the Hattori or something, all my avenues for expansion are blocked. And once Realm Divide hits, the Chosokabe are in a perfect position to hit my tender underside in Kyushu, unless I deal with their holdings in southern Honshu first.
I always land troops in big clans with beachfront property. Does anyone have established front lines and lots of empty provinces behind that? Land a small and capable enough group to each weak province. Move those troops to reinforce any threatened foothold. Break their economy and hope for other clans to attack them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Flock of birds up high
Turned to arrows in the sky
Took one in the eye

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I should have watched an LP of the series before going in without guides. I would have wanted someone like you to tell me why I was so bad despite playing many 4X games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I enjoyed naval battles and got a better handle of them long before land battles. Naval fights practically pay for themselves. I won't spoil future battles, but did anyone notice the stats on Hull Strength? Funny thing about the differences of Bunes and what you can consider the Japanese dreadnought.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
As disappointed I was with the use I got out of horses in my first corrupted game, I naturally learned the Hammer and Anvil strategy and named it as such. Those horses can make great disposable assassins, if enemy troops won't come out and play.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bad as it is to make allies mad at you, sabotaging defenseless places is a great training spot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your Light Cavalry and a bunch of other units have no experience on the Battle Deployment screen, yet the Battle Results screen shows they already had one chevron and gained another if they did.

I guess you are going to delete that unit and build replacements from Awa?

Medium Bunes are great ships, so long as they can board and your AI doesn't get retarded and stare at enemy ships. The interaction between the two ships seem so awkward and I don't think I can have two ships board at the same time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am surprised you did not encounter foreign pirates yet or are you not surveying the waters?

Not often you see more enemies killed than lost.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Affi posted:

Couldn't find anywhere else to put this but i'd like to know if there are any recommended mods for Shogun 2? I know you're showing off the base game, but I keep getting either swamped by cheating AI on higher difficulties. (Yes that full stack of samurai is completely reasonable for a dude with 2 provinces.) Or I get way too little challenge at the lower difficulties.

Anything that spices up the game a little would also be appreciated.
I go crazy with whatever mods look good in the Workshop. Not sure if anything has changed since I last played a year ago.http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=34330&browsesort=mysubscriptions&browsefilter=mysubscriptions&p=1

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 6, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The highly upgraded castles have archer towers, with the largest ones having more than those less developed. It is the same for each game, but Fall does it with a twist. They also surrender quickly since your guys are getting beat up taking them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I didn't know it shows up in Rise. It is funny that the more common little brother is a transport.
I first beat it with a ton of fire arrows in two encounters. Glitched itself into surrender.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sydin posted:

Welp. :v:

Yeah, that was pretty much the maximum amount of damage you could inflict. The only other option was a suicide rush on the general
Which one?:haw:

It is surprising that all previous success was accomplished without the military arts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I still remember my first time with enemy Agents swarming my few Chosokabe mainland provinces and they would knock out my Agents the instant I recruited them. About five Metsuke from five different clans were fighting each other in my territory and it continued more than ten turns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think a naval invasion in their rear is going to save you or the other way around.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 13, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shameful display for the lack of DLC though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kind of sad there won't be remakes of the other Sim games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only way to handle Realm Divide is to invade them first, from behind.:mrapig: The concept of defending your provinces while sending your mass of troops to a far away enemy is lost on the AI.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Much as I fear for the trade fleet, the AI loved to park one ship in the lane instead of fighting them. I always had ships protect them and fight off future attackers by spreading out from there. Might as well focus on provinces with docks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is that small because the other ships are too busy sinking instead of joining your fleet through force.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have enjoyed seeing use of the Hammer and Anvil tactics for that siege. Was holding the other Light Cavalry back really needed?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Alectai posted:

Huh, that kind of makes sense, though it doesn't explain why all of the Vassals who wardeced me still had a -50 Realm Divide malus, and most of the ones I made were ones I had no diplomatic relations with before hand :(

What happened was that it was me versus Mega Takeda, I started a lightning war and stampeded across half of the country, then lured their main force into an ambush with two of my stacks hiding in the forest. I hit a couple more of their provinces and then Realm Divide hit, at which point I started creating Vassals instead.

The weird thing about it is that I actually did what you guys were saying. Most of my army was in the area of operations that all of my buffer vassals were (Because at this time, my navy was doing a decent job holding my coasts, because my economy hadn't been crippled yet), but when they started wardeccing, I found that most of them were at -50 or higher for Realm Divide, even though you mentioned that shouldn't have happened (Since it was that -50 malus that took them into the range where they disliked me enough to do so on a whim apparently).

I did take Kyoto and was pronounced the Shogun, but I stopped being able to make forward progress thanks to my vassals all betraying me at the same time, and by the time I was done puting out fires, the three clans that were actually threatening had managed to break my defensive lines and land troops into my heartlands and start taking provinces there :(
So glad there is a Workshop for this game. I would not have noticed this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My favorite part of naval battles are my tiny men jumping ten feet between boats.
Fleets are easy to grow when you impress everything weaker than you. A few Bow Kobaya turned into 40 ships and covered every hostile harbor.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How often do you merge units?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leif. posted:

So it seems that Shogun requires you to maintain a rate of conquest somewhere between every 4-7 turns for a new province, in order to win. Do the other games in the series (Rome 2 specifically) require a similar pace, or is it viable to expand a bit, then spend 20-30 turns teching up, getting your construction out of the way for what will become your "core" provinces, and then start building stacks to go on a conquest blitz later?
There should be a mod that extends the number of turns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is Nanban.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The part about it being a trade ship made me lose it. Here is some poorly defended European merchant vessel that is stronger than any Japanese navy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

my dad posted:

So, the Black Ship mentioned before is just a regular combat ship of a Western fleet?

Talk about out-of-context problems...
I sent a few SoDs to beat that thing and I only managed to capture it because it glitched out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That finally explains why your casualties seem to extend beyond the numbers in the battle results screen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always wonder what possible expenditures agents make when tasked to do something simple like oratory or setting a building on fire, to cost a hundred koku?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A spin on crushing people with your kindness.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How does each AI prioritize the growth of provinces?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had a victory I should have lost when I first fought an army with guns. I was too busy moving cavalry to sneak behind the general, to notice my lines were too thick and were not fighting at their best. My horses were mauling the general who was isolated from his group before dying, when my flags were dropping off the map. Close victory.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are there any charts that list how many kills each class needs to upgrade?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Stephen9001 posted:

Actually, it's quite simple, a successful mission give 15xp, a failed one gives 3. This applies to all agents expect General in which case a successful battle only gives 10 (if they are the leading one in the case for when there's more than 1 general on the field, otherwise they just get 3), but this is in part to compensate for the fact they can have more then 1 battle a turn.

If I remember right the first level up takes 20 xp, the 2nd 40... and I don't remember how it scaled from there other than the final level (I think) taking 180xp.
I meant the soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I rarely see three rank promotions outside of naval battles.

• Locked thread