Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

P.N.T.M. posted:

There are plenty of reasons why an external FireWire/USB box is preferable to a card. Look into the Scarlet series for a cheaper 2-input device.

I'd stay away from anything that accepts only RCA inputs. They are easily <$50, but are not optimal for analog signals, allowing in more noise than many are comfortable with.

Well I am needing at least two inputs and two outputs. How are the USB boxes? I am always worried about latency from them especially at high bit rates. I wonder if Thunderbolt boxes are in the pipe yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Nothing thunderbolt has been released yet apart from a few MADI interfaces that aren't particularly useful for a home setup. USB and Firewire boxes work fine on hackintoshes as long as you have a compatible chipset. Latency is generally a non-issue as long as your machine is relatively peppy. If you can handle running at higher sample rates, that slashes the latency to a couple ms usually. Staying under 10ms should not be a problem on a reasonably modern setup.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I recall using a third party KX drivers for my SoundBlaster Live years ago on the early builds - worked fine but the site seems dead. :(

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

http://kxproject.com/
Still up, just hasn't been updated. It'll work on anything Pre X-Fi.
Post-X-Fi may work on VoodooHDA, it depends on random chance.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

Well I am needing at least two inputs and two outputs. How are the USB boxes? I am always worried about latency from them especially at high bit rates. I wonder if Thunderbolt boxes are in the pipe yet.

This is the box I referenced earlier. Two combo-jack inputs, support for Phantom power, headphones, USB2 interface, and 1/4 monitor jacks. Look around for a cheaper price, obviously, but I generally saw it for $150.

Finding a box that uses a Firewire800 interface leads to more expensive results. Frankly, thunderbolt is overkill for the level of data that is being sent. HQ audio is just not that demanding by today's standards, but FW800 is definitely the pinnacle for interface options if you wanted to push the envelope.

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!
Anyone have experience getting Open GL/CL with ATI HD cards?
I'm running a setup like this Slugnet's Video Editor (GA-Z77X-UD5H / i7-3770k / 16GB RAM). My video card however is an ATI HD 6770. I'd rather not HAVE to buy a new video card just yet. I had After Effects convinced via some .kext editing to use Open CL, then my HD crashed. (Didn't know how bad Vortex's were when I bought one.)
There is a link here but I have not been able to get it to work. I have tried adding the name of my card as it suggested, but no dice so far.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

BluDiE posted:

Anyone have experience getting Open GL/CL with ATI HD cards?
I'm running a setup like this Slugnet's Video Editor (GA-Z77X-UD5H / i7-3770k / 16GB RAM). My video card however is an ATI HD 6770. I'd rather not HAVE to buy a new video card just yet. I had After Effects convinced via some .kext editing to use Open CL, then my HD crashed. (Didn't know how bad Vortex's were when I bought one.)
There is a link here but I have not been able to get it to work. I have tried adding the name of my card as it suggested, but no dice so far.

if it worked before, you should try all the usual bootstring settings like graphicsenabler, npci and pcirootuid

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
10.8.5 is out. Anyone with a haswell system going to try it, or just wait for mavericks?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the last release of OSX that ran "reliably" on AMD hardware? I'm asking purely for shits and giggles, I don't actually plan to put together some kind of weird AMD hackintosh.

I'm guessing it was probably the same one that ran reliably on Intel Atom chips, right? They both required a kernel replacement IIRC.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

What's the last release of OSX that ran "reliably" on AMD hardware? I'm asking purely for shits and giggles, I don't actually plan to put together some kind of weird AMD hackintosh.

I'm guessing it was probably the same one that ran reliably on Intel Atom chips, right? They both required a kernel replacement IIRC.

None of them. You need a custom kernel for any OSX on Atom or AMD. 10.6 is probably the best bet because of how mature it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Right, that's why I mentioned the replacement kernel at the end :haw:

But yeah, it was probably 10.6.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

chupacabraTERROR posted:

10.8.5 is out. Anyone with a haswell system going to try it, or just wait for mavericks?

I've been using 10.8.5 on a Haswell system for a few months now. The only problem I'm having is that it keeps trying to get me to install a Thunderbolt firmware update (which can't install, obviously), but that's probably not a 10.8.5 issue.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Quine Connoisseur posted:

I've been using 10.8.5 on a Haswell system for a few months now. The only problem I'm having is that it keeps trying to get me to install a Thunderbolt firmware update (which can't install, obviously), but that's probably not a 10.8.5 issue.

confirmed, I have thatr problem on 10.8.4 because I chose a "iMac 13,1" system definition.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

You said the "best one", but the thing is they are all equally horrible with kernel replacement stuff.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Back when I built my ivy bridge setup (intel H77 motherboard DH77KC) last year, I googled some hackintosh stuff and found out that since I didn't have a gigabyte motherboard, I shouldn't bother. This thread seems to give me hope, and I've actually seen my motherboard on some compatibility lists now.

I put one of these 2.5" docks in when I built my PC, which I've been really happy with, as it lets me swap out 2.5 drives really easily - I usually run Windows 7 on a SSD, but I play with Windows 8 by just swapping another drive in.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-5-Inch-Removable-Expansion-S25SLOTR/dp/B002MWDRD6/

Most hackintosh stuff doesn't require any bios config changes from a standard install, right? I figure I should just be able to swap the drive in when I want to play with OSX, and not risk loving anything up with partitioning.

I picked up one of the new MBA's a couple months ago and have been loving OS X. This should consume all my free time this weekend. I normally run a 3-display setup via HD4000 and a PCI-E HD 5450, but I'd just be happy to get dual display off the intel graphics.

Kacho
Sep 13, 2013
How hard is it to get HDMI audio working with the HD 7xxx series? Last time i checked, i don't think it worked. I have a gigabyte h61ma-d2v motherboard that doesn't need a dsdt, i3 3220, HD 7870 tahiti, everything works fine apart from HDMI audio.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kacho posted:

How hard is it to get HDMI audio working with the HD 7xxx series? Last time i checked, i don't think it worked. I have a gigabyte h61ma-d2v motherboard that doesn't need a dsdt, i3 3220, HD 7870 tahiti, everything works fine apart from HDMI audio.

I have never had HDMI audio working with any card AMD or Nvidia with OSX. Don't even bother trying to go down that K-Hole.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Djarum posted:

I have never had HDMI audio working with any card AMD or Nvidia with OSX. Don't even bother trying to go down that K-Hole.

HDMI audio works perfectly well on my 660 Ti, I just needed to install NvAudio.kext.

Kacho
Sep 13, 2013

Djarum posted:

Thought so, although i reckon Nvidia cards would fare better due to being supported longer than the newer AMD ones. I'm glad everything else works. I spend the whole day setting it up, browsing the web for a few minutes then switching to Windows again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Martytoof posted:

I believe derivatives of the Voodoo kernel have been updated all the way to Snow Leopard, but my personal experience with 10.6 on a nForce board was that it was a sad pile of weird custom kexts and dirty hacks just to get going, and that broke like clockwork with every update.

Its so awesome with a 7 series Gigabyte board. Everything just works.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Civil posted:

Most hackintosh stuff doesn't require any bios config changes from a standard install, right? I figure I should just be able to swap the drive in when I want to play with OSX, and not risk loving anything up with partitioning.

There's some bios settings that need to be set for mac, but they wouldn't hurt Windows for dual boot. Such as AHCI enabled, HPET setting, fast boot mode, etc. You wouldn't have to disable any onboard devices.

Gigabyte is the easiest to install on, but practically any intel chipset mobo is doable if it's an i-series CPU. OEM desktops are harder, laptops are harder still, and AMD is where you'd have to really want it.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Just got a Haswell Macbook Air as a gift and was wondering if I can get an install file for Mountain Lion from this thing or if I still need to get the installer from the App Store. I'll be running a Haswell Hackintosh once my parts get in.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
edit: Wrong thread!

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 14, 2013

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I got my system up and running 10.8.5 using a DH77KC (Intel brand) motherboard, but onboard ethernet isn't working, which is kind of a big deal.

Should I:
a) Give up, you'll never get it working
b) Should have done something during the install
c) You need to ________

Besides that, it seems to work fine. So far, it's only giving me 1 of 2 displays (using displayport and DVI on motherboard HD4000), but everything else is fine. I've got an i5-3750k, and it feels slower than my MBA, though I'd attribute that to the fact I installed it on a 2.5" HDD, and my mac is SSD. But it's been a fun project so far.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Civil posted:

I got my system up and running 10.8.5 using a DH77KC (Intel brand) motherboard, but onboard ethernet isn't working, which is kind of a big deal.

install the kext for intel ethernet

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yep, I have presumably the exact same ethernet as you but on a PCI-E card and installing the kext from MultiBeast works perfectly.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
The speed is certainly a HDD vs SSD problem. Your processor is still going to keep your experience using programs a lot smoother, it just can't load them any faster.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.7) on a Dell Mini 10v and can poke my tongue out at the OP and say nyah nyah, you can hackintosh an Atom processor :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had 10.6.8 running just fine on my Mini 9. Then I had what appears to be a common main board meltdown and the drat thing doesn't charge batteries anymore. :mad:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Weatherman posted:

I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.7) on a Dell Mini 10v and can poke my tongue out at the OP and say nyah nyah, you can hackintosh an Atom processor :v:

Nobody said you couldn't it's just a pain and the atom sucks so much that you might as well just not bother.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'm following the MyHack instructions and have got everything installed, but am getting a PCI Configuration error. The guide says the following:

quote:

Symptom: System hangs at “PCI configuration (begin/changed/end)”
Resolution: Boot with npci=0×2000 or npci=0×3000
Note: If neither of the above boot flags help you with this problem you will need to install a patched IOPCIFamily.kext, simply place in /Extra/Extensions/ and run myFix. You can obtain the latest patched IOPCIFamily.kext from netkas HERE.

I've tried the flags, they didn't work, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to do for the IOPCIFamily.kext. Do I need to connect the drive I installed OS X on to my Mac and drop the file in that folder, then run myFix on that? I tried doing that before, and it prompted me to use a generic profile, or one of my choosing, but couldn't figure it out from there.

I know this is a pretty common problem, but it's not really working how I think it should.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It shouldn't prompt you to use a profile if you're just running myfix (it will if you select "install an extra folder" but you don't need that.) Just drag your added kexts to extra/extensions and then run myfix on the volume.

Alternatively you may need to just specify arch=x86_64 at boot time. I was getting similar errors recently on a computer I was trying to get running lion and it turned out it was due to it trying to boot into arch=i386. x86_64 fixed it.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Ok, good to know I was on the right track. I'll try again tomorrow.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Edited because I answered my own question.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 23, 2013

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SRQ posted:

Nobody said you couldn't it's just a pain and the atom sucks so much that you might as well just not bother.

Fair enough, I was just in a hurry to post for some reason and managed to poo poo on the thread. Sorry!

With the Dell Mini 10v, though, you're stuck with an Atom so I guess we should be happy that someone went to the trouble of making the install packages for us. I'm stuck on 10.6.7, however, because reports indicate that the update can gently caress you up something shocking.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Oh do tell. How is SL on an Atom?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

It shouldn't prompt you to use a profile if you're just running myfix (it will if you select "install an extra folder" but you don't need that.) Just drag your added kexts to extra/extensions and then run myfix on the volume.

Alternatively you may need to just specify arch=x86_64 at boot time. I was getting similar errors recently on a computer I was trying to get running lion and it turned out it was due to it trying to boot into arch=i386. x86_64 fixed it.

Got a chance to try this. I added in the IOPCIFamily.kext, ran myFix, still didn't get it to boot. Also tried the arch=x86_64 boot flag and that didn't work. It still freezes on the PCI Configuration bit.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Can you get it to boot with -x (safe mode?)

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Can you get it to boot with -x (safe mode?)

Nope. Doesn't work with the arch flag either.

I also just noticed something that is possibly related. I can't seem to boot from the disk unless I have the USB stick I put the OS X installer inserted, select that, then manually select the volume from the prompt at the beginning. Otherwise it just boots into Windows no matter what disk I select (I have two SSDs and one HDD).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Have you installed chameleon on your osx drive yet? That won't necessarily fix your PCI issue (though it might) but you'll need to install the bootloader to your osx drive to be able to boot sans USB stick. If you're not booting osx from your hard drive, it doesn't matter what kexts you have in the osx drive's extra folder because it's not booting from the drive, it's booting from your USB stick.

As far as the PCI issue goes, have you tried playing with your bios settings? Sometimes switching that stuff around will make it work, even if the bios settings you change aren't directly related to the PCI bus. But I think the problem might be that you are booting from the USB stick and not the hard drive, which means it isn't actually loading the PCI kext you have installed.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 24, 2013

• Locked thread