Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Ah, seems like I missed a step. Will try again tomorrow. For what it's worth, in the boot loader that showed up, I always selected the drive that had the install of OS X on it, although maybe it wasn't actually selecting it. I'll give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, you just missed the step of installing the bootloader onto the hard drive probably. I think myhack usually does that for you during the install, but it's certainly possible to miss it. If you can, put the OSX drive into another computer running OSX (or just put it in an external enclosure) and then install chameleon to it, then make sure all the kexts you need are in /Extra and run myfix.

What is [probably] happening is that you have all the kexts you need in your /Extra folder, but you are booting off the USB disk and it is loading all the kexts in the USB disk's /Extra instead of your hard drive's.

You should also make sure that you have selected your OSX hard drive to boot first in the bios, or alternatively some motherboards allow you to hit F12 and select which disk to boot from. Even if you have the bootloader correctly installed on the hard drive, if it's not hard drive #1 in the boot order then the system is gonna boot off drive 1 instead. (You probably know this already but I want to make sure I covered all the bases :))

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 24, 2013

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Ok, I installed Chameleon, and tried booting up. I got the bootloader correctly, but it still won't boot up. I tried all the flags that were mentioned before, but to no avail. I'm not sure what other extensions I might need to install, either.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What does it stop on now? (Use -v to get all the details)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I tried installing 10.8.5 last night on my haswell system with a gigabyte motherboard. I got it to boot off the USB to the desktop but the system timer was going like 3x the usual speed, so everything was messed up. Animations were fast, typing was impossible because it thought one key press was 10 presses, I had to hold the mouse button to click something.

I didn't have much time to look into it, but does anyone have any ideas?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

What does it stop on now? (Use -v to get all the details)

Same place. PCI Configuration Begin.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sounds like haswell is kinda funky all around when it comes to this kind of thing maybe?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I tried installing 10.8.5 last night on my haswell system with a gigabyte motherboard. I got it to boot off the USB to the desktop but the system timer was going like 3x the usual speed, so everything was messed up. Animations were fast, typing was impossible because it thought one key press was 10 presses, I had to hold the mouse button to click something.

I didn't have much time to look into it, but does anyone have any ideas?

I fixed it by putting

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=34</string>

into the boot plist. The value of busratio depends on what frequency you have your CPU at, which given it's a haswell will be 34 for the 4670k or 35 for the 4770k providing you have them at stock. This was with mavericks though, hopefully it still applies to ML.

I recently redid my hack away from 10.9 and installed 10.8.5 by following this guide and it is so much better, under Mavericks I was getting entirely random system lockups or graphical freezes on an almost daily basis, and the times when it was working I had to do things like restart the system before I used Logic X because if I'd used itunes or even played a youtube video in Opera then every recording I made in the DAW would be filled with pops and clicks, but from fresh startup it was fine. I don't know if that was anything to do with voodoo HDA as I had it installed originally before the firewire card arrived and I could use my interface, but it could have been something related to it being a pre-release OS as well, even though I had issues all the way up to DP8. It's been a few days now since I have had the ML install going and it's been 100% in functionality and stability, I did skip trying to install any audio drivers for onboard this time due to the interface so hopefully that's one less thing to go wrong later, but I am a lot happier with the 10.8.5 install than 10.9 DP. With the guide I linked I didn't need to modify the boot plist in any way or use any other modifier strings, everything installed without issue and runs great. For all the crap tonymac gets he sure delivers good results, the unibeast/multibeast/chimera combo worked really well (except for the stupid cartoon faces. WHAT ARE THEY ALL LOOKING UP AT?!?) and the unibeast installer creator at least had the decency to not entirely destroy the existing OS on my iMac, unlike myhack.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah for what it's worth tonymac stuff pretty much always works flawlessly so if you ever have trouble with myhack or another method try the whole unibeast/multibeast thing out. Even though tonymac is a bit weird.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

P.N.T.M. posted:

Oh do tell. How is SL on an Atom?

It's really not bad at all. I find the built-in trackpad to be more of a bugbear than any performance issues. My regular machine is a late-2007 MacBook, which isn't that fast itself, and I don't often notice the Dell being noticeably slower than the MacBook.

I think that the fact that it runs well is thanks to all the effort that's gone into making the bootloaders and patchers and that for the Dell Mini. Once I'd got the stupid BIOS issues sorted out (had to go from A00 to A04 by using a -~= floppy disk +~-), it was just a matter of prepare install image, install, apply patch image, update to 10.6.7, apply patch image.

It's really at the end of its useful life, though, because apparently no one has made a stable installer/patcher for 10.6.8, which is required to install the latest version of iTunes, which is required to install iOS 7, etc. But it's perfect as a "I want to read sideways in bed" throwaround.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Has anyone found a SMBIOS from one of the new 2013 iMacs yet? Since they're pretty similar to most Haswell Hackintoshes it might be useful.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If anyone wants a tip for a decent laptop to use, I recommend the Dell E6410 with Nvidia card. Works pretty well with 10.8.5, and there are premade bootpacks and guides on osxlatitude.com

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So Mavericks GM just released, so the public release shouldn't be too far out. Is it better to wait for that than to try my hand at a 10.8.5 Hackintosh using an i7 Haswell, 700 series nvidia card and Gigabyte UD4H?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Depending on if this is your first Hack, it might be very worth it to get some practice with how your build works.

Do you already own 10.8? If not, you would have to spend an extra $20.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

P.N.T.M. posted:

Depending on if this is your first Hack, it might be very worth it to get some practice with how your build works.

Do you already own 10.8? If not, you would have to spend an extra $20.

Yeah I've got it on my MacBook, I suppose practice makes sense.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm having some problems with my 10.8.5 install (Haswell i5-4570, Z87-D3HP, GTX650Ti Boost). I used the tonymac unibeast method and I am able to boot into the OS in safe mode only.

The last line I see is:

com.applefscompressiontypedataless load succeeded

Anyone seen this before?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Hey, I'm stuck there too. I tried tonymac as well, and everything works up until that point. Safe boot works, but anything I try in multibeast renders the system either unbootable (even in safe mode) or seemingly does nothing.

Am I right in assuming that even if I have the right drivers and all for my sound and my graphics card, if I boot in safe mode, I won't get QE/Core Image or sound? I'm on a Z87M-HD3, GTX760, and Haswell i5 4670k (haven't bothered overclocking yet).

Edit: Should also mention that searches online show some people who installed nVidia drivers and this worked, but I'm really not sure what drivers they installed. The ones on nVidia's site don't seem to work.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Maybe try nvenabler? That's often the go-to kext for nvidia hacks. Make sure you get the 64 bit version.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If you're using a modern nVidia card you always want to make sure the key GraphicsEnabler is set to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. The tonymacx86 unfortunately sets this to Yes by default.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
couldn't hurt to track down all the multibeast kexts that were installed before the 10.8.5 update, that's always what causes my system to stop booting after an upgrade. But if it's a clean install, try various flag settings like pcirootuid, graphicsenabler, npci.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

GraphicsEnabler=No isn't the issue, that's for sure. The usual boot flags won't work. As I installed the supplemental 10.8.5 from the start, the NVIDIA drivers won't install. I'm going to re-install the pre-supplemental update 10.8.5 and see if the NVIDIA drivers will install. If that doesn't work then I may just wait until Mavericks.

edit: Went back to regular 10.8.5. Tried to install the NVIDIA graphics drivers, but they wouldn't install. I think it was because I can't boot into regular mode, only safe mode. The system needs to be restarted after the install, and obviously it can't restart normally. NVEnabler kext didn't work either.

Posted a thread over here with more details if any of you could help out: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/111076-stuck-com-apple-applefscompressiontypedataless-load-succeeded.html#post675087

moon demon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 6, 2013

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I am running into the same brick wall.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
If you're trying to install those web download drivers from Nvidia, I don't think they work. I got them to install just fine, but the menu won't switch over from the stock OSX drivers. I'm using a 650 non-TI, which has the same actual chip that's in one imac model. I really think someone has to come up with a patch. Not that it's such a big deal, I have done lots of gaming on the stock drivers and they work great.

One idea that might help, buy a spare low-end video card like an AMD 5400 or a Nvidia 8400gs. You can get them for $10 if you shop around, and they would help you troubleshoot any problems that are related to your good card.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Demie posted:

If you're trying to install those web download drivers from Nvidia, I don't think they work. I got them to install just fine, but the menu won't switch over from the stock OSX drivers. I'm using a 650 non-TI, which has the same actual chip that's in one imac model. I really think someone has to come up with a patch. Not that it's such a big deal, I have done lots of gaming on the stock drivers and they work great.

One idea that might help, buy a spare low-end video card like an AMD 5400 or a Nvidia 8400gs. You can get them for $10 if you shop around, and they would help you troubleshoot any problems that are related to your good card.

Cant you just download the kexts and put them into S/L/E repair permissions and you are good to go?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Demie posted:

They do work, they just require a NVRAM setting in order to be enabled. The proper boot string (for Chameleon anyway) is nvda_drv=1.

flyingbuttbiter
Sep 22, 2003

by toby
Hey You!
You're reading this thread to figure out if it's right for you.

I was worried about building a Hackintosh because I thought it would feel janky like the widows OS.
If you've been using both you know what i mean.

The only drawback from it is the monitor. Bought one of those Monoprice ones and have been rolling
and making a beautiful dollar ever since.

I like this whole set up better than my machine at work. Go for it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sometime later in the year I plan on blowing some cash on my first ever Hackintosh. Since I still do some PC gaming I plan on dual-booting it with Windows. However, for some less-intensive games (DOTA 2 or whatever) it'd be handy for me to run an extra install of Windows in a VM so that I can play them while doing my main stuff on a Mac (unless there's some way to hop into my main Windows install through a VM and get access to all my stuff, in which case holy gently caress that's awesome!)

Is an SSD (currently planning two 120GB SSDs, one each for OSX/Windows) basically a must-have these days for installing software on? Or would a 60GB SSD drive for each OS and then install Steam, Adobe CS, etc on a regular ol' HDD be sufficient? It seems that my shopping list technique of "I want everything with the biggest numbers" is not going to be friendly with my bank account so I'm seeing what I can drop down on while still having a solid computer that'll last me a good few years.

As you can tell, it's been a long time since I really knew what I was doing building computers and I have very little experience with OSX's performance.

Also: 8GB RAM? 16GB?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Sometime later in the year I plan on blowing some cash on my first ever Hackintosh. Since I still do some PC gaming I plan on dual-booting it with Windows. However, for some less-intensive games (DOTA 2 or whatever) it'd be handy for me to run an extra install of Windows in a VM so that I can play them while doing my main stuff on a Mac (unless there's some way to hop into my main Windows install through a VM and get access to all my stuff, in which case holy gently caress that's awesome!)

Is an SSD (currently planning two 120GB SSDs, one each for OSX/Windows) basically a must-have these days for installing software on? Or would a 60GB SSD drive for each OS and then install Steam, Adobe CS, etc on a regular ol' HDD be sufficient? It seems that my shopping list technique of "I want everything with the biggest numbers" is not going to be friendly with my bank account so I'm seeing what I can drop down on while still having a solid computer that'll last me a good few years.

As you can tell, it's been a long time since I really knew what I was doing building computers and I have very little experience with OSX's performance.

I don't game so 8GB is fine with me for now. I'm sure I'll go to 16 eventually. Also, as I used a motherboard that has 100% working power management in OSX, I didn't sweat the whole SSD thing and I just used two HDDs. It's fine, as the only time the slower access speed is really an issue is on startup, and I rarely shut it down. I just put it to sleep, and sleep/resume is instantaneous.

I am a cheap bastard though and didn't quite trust SSDs, that's the only reason I didn't use one. I already had a couple of nice big SATA HDDs sitting around.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Jesus I'm a moron, I'd almost forgotten all about sleep/resume. I fancied SSDs for the quick startup time since I may need to switch back and forth between OSX and Windows if I was doing gaming, but sleep and resume means that it'd only be about a minute going to the other OS.

I suppose at least if I go for 8GB then it wouldn't cost much to just buy another couple of sticks of RAM to up to 16GB.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

1. Why not run the OS X version of DOTA2?

2. VMWare Fusion can run your Windows install as a VM while you're booted into OS X.

3. I would suggest a 120GB SSD for each OS, but that's hardly a strict requirement if cash and/or storage space are issues.

4. 8GB RAM is fine.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

~Coxy posted:

1. Why not run the OS X version of DOTA2?

2. VMWare Fusion can run your Windows install as a VM while you're booted into OS X.

3. I would suggest a 120GB SSD for each OS, but that's hardly a strict requirement if cash and/or storage space are issues.

4. 8GB RAM is fine.
Just used DOTA as an example, forgot it had a Mac version. It's generally for older games that don't have Mac ports but also don't need some crazy high-end machine to run nicely.

That's awesome news about VMWare Fusion! Looks like I'll be able to avoid having to copy save files back and forth then. So I can run that Windows install as a VM as well as natively, or is it just converting a native install into a VM then I have to run it virtualised from then on? Also, are VMs still unable to do much with the graphics card or is that a thing of the past now?

I've just looked up pricing for 60GB SSDs (same make etc as the 120GB ones) and the saving between 60GB and 120GB is so minimal that it really seems wasteful not to go for the larger ones.

Thanks for the advice, guys, and sorry for all the questions! Whenever I'm closer to the time and have settled on final(ish) parts I'll so be excited. I was using that Tonymacx86 guide for what parts to buy but after reading the OP I should make sure to remember to take those affiliate things out if he really has been stealing code without credit. I was hoping to get a trial run on OSX going on my current PC in a VM or second HDD, but it's all AMD stuff and I couldn't get it going after a full weekend of trying.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Don't sweat using tonymac, he may steal other people's code but he puts it together in such a way that all you have to do is use unibeast to install and then run multibeast. It's hands down the best way to do a hack; use it to get everything running and then you can delve into the nitty gritty if you want.

Seriously using tonymac will make everything go way more smoothly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That's awesome news about VMWare Fusion! Looks like I'll be able to avoid having to copy save files back and forth then. So I can run that Windows install as a VM as well as natively, or is it just converting a native install into a VM then I have to run it virtualised from then on? Also, are VMs still unable to do much with the graphics card or is that a thing of the past now?

You can run the Windows install as a VM or boot into it natively as much as you wish.

Games/OpenGL performance in the VM is not great, but is certainly playable especially for older stuff.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm thinking of going the hackintosh route so I can have Mac, Windows, and Linux all on one machine for various development and testing needs. The tonymac guide mentions a specific SanDisk SSD with a Sandforce-based controller because it doesn't need native trim support in the OS. Will any Sandforce-based SSD work just as well? I have a Corsair Force GT SSD I'd like to reuse and am curious if I should be concerned about trim support.

Also, if I have a MacBook Air (~2012 model) with mountain lion already, is that all I need to make a USB stick that can install mountain lion? Do I still need to buy a $20 copy of mountain lion from the OSX app store (not a problem if so, I'd prefer to be as legit as possible)?

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 17, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1. TRIM support in OS X has a check for an "Apple" vendor string on the SSD. There is a very simple patch that removes this artificial limitation so that any SSD will have proper TRIM support.

2. I believe you can go into the App Store, find the Mountain Lion entry, then option-click on the button to re-download the installer image.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

mod sassinator posted:

I'm thinking of going the hackintosh route so I can have Mac, Windows, and Linux all on one machine for various development and testing needs. The tonymac guide mentions a specific SanDisk SSD with a Sandforce-based controller because it doesn't need native trim support in the OS. Will any Sandforce-based SSD work just as well? I have a Corsair Force GT SSD I'd like to reuse and am curious if I should be concerned about trim support.

Also, if I have a MacBook Air (~2012 model) with mountain lion already, is that all I need to make a USB stick that can install mountain lion? Do I still need to buy a $20 copy of mountain lion from the OSX app store (not a problem if so, I'd prefer to be as legit as possible)?

You can do it on a real mac with rEFInd. I know because I have done it before.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

1. TRIM support in OS X has a check for an "Apple" vendor string on the SSD. There is a very simple patch that removes this artificial limitation so that any SSD will have proper TRIM support.
Well, assuming the SSD actually supports TRIM. Early Apple OEM SSDs didn't and relied on the drive's garbage collection.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Well I bit the bullet and just ordered some hardware for what I hope to be a hackintosh. Going for a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI mini-itx Haswell motherboard and a Core i5-4570S processor. This is going into an Antec ISK300-150 case with an SSD. I would have preferred the slightly cheaper H87 motherboard, but it looks like Newegg doesn't carry it and they're running a 10% off promo now so the Z87 is the same price. Hoping to have a small and very power efficient system that can run a few operating systems in parallel without breaking a sweat.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Well I bit the bullet and just ordered some hardware for what I hope to be a hackintosh. Going for a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI mini-itx Haswell motherboard and a Core i5-4570S processor. This is going into an Antec ISK300-150 case with an SSD. I would have preferred the slightly cheaper H87 motherboard, but it looks like Newegg doesn't carry it and they're running a 10% off promo now so the Z87 is the same price. Hoping to have a small and very power efficient system that can run a few operating systems in parallel without breaking a sweat.

you'll probably have to put in a video card. intel hd graphics 4600 isn't in any macs, so mac os probably has no drivers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Demie posted:

you'll probably have to put in a video card. intel hd graphics 4600 isn't in any macs, so mac os probably has no drivers for it.

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into that more. It looks like the 4600 is part of one of tonymacx86's golden builds, so hopefully it won't be too bad to get going: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/106748-tonymacx86s-haswell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-a.html

• Locked thread