Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What's the current status of using a Radeon 7970 with 10.8.4? I've tried looking at the various sites (InsanelyMac, Tonymac, OSX86 etc) and it seems like cornments vary from it being "out of box" supported to requiring a lot of effort. I'm not against either, just curious what you all think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

SourKraut posted:

What's the current status of using a Radeon 7970 with 10.8.4? I've tried looking at the various sites (InsanelyMac, Tonymac, OSX86 etc) and it seems like cornments vary from it being "out of box" supported to requiring a lot of effort. I'm not against either, just curious what you all think.

I haven't tried it, but check the versions of OSX those people were installing. Apple's 7 series support is pretty recent.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Netkas is the guy to look to for AMD graphics on OS X. To answer your question, 10.8.3 or newer should have support OOB.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I recently built a Haswell PC with the intention of making a dual-booting hackintosh. I currently have Windows on a 128GB SSD, a 1TB HDD with 500GB partitioned for windows games. I plan on buying a second 128GB SSD for OSX when 10.9 comes out and the 2nd half of the 1TB HDD will be used for OSX stuff.

Is the 2nd SSD overkill for this? I could probably get by with 64GB Windows and 64GB OSX, but I heard that it can be difficult dual-booting from the same HDD. Presumably it will be easier with 2 totally separate boot disks.

This is my first hackintosh so I'm totally inexperienced with this, aside from reading about it online.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMHO 64gb is going to be unnecessarily tight for space when it comes to OSX and Windows. The prices of 128GB SSDs is low enough that I wouldn't even think twice before buying a separate one for a second OS, regardless of what OS it is.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I recently built a Haswell PC with the intention of making a dual-booting hackintosh. I currently have Windows on a 128GB SSD, a 1TB HDD with 500GB partitioned for windows games. I plan on buying a second 128GB SSD for OSX when 10.9 comes out and the 2nd half of the 1TB HDD will be used for OSX stuff.

Is the 2nd SSD overkill for this? I could probably get by with 64GB Windows and 64GB OSX, but I heard that it can be difficult dual-booting from the same HDD. Presumably it will be easier with 2 totally separate boot disks.

This is my first hackintosh so I'm totally inexperienced with this, aside from reading about it online.

No, this isn't really too much overkill. I run the same setup with 2x 120GB SSDs and it works great. Setting up a Hackintosh these days appears a bit daunting from the outside, but in reality with newer hardware it's an incredibly easy process that just includes a different installer and some additional GUI or file. On the other hand, setting them up on the same hard drive isn't too complicated either... it's all possible.

invid
Dec 19, 2002

SourKraut posted:

IIRC it will only work if you're solo booting Mac OS X with some sleep/display rotate script. Won't work if you're dual booting Win and Mac Os X because the graphicframenbuffer won't be injected and you would not be able to select which OS to boot to.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Is there a preferred way of dual-booting? Is it like boot camp, or do I just go into bios each time and select a different boot drive?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is there a preferred way of dual-booting? Is it like boot camp, or do I just go into bios each time and select a different boot drive?

Chameleon (which most but not all other OS X bootloaders are based off of) has an interface that's pretty similar to Boot Camp's, except you don't hold down the option key. The last time I tried some of the other TianoCore-based bootloaders they had a pretty similar interface too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chameleon/Chimera actually gives me the option of booting from disks with no OS installed so it's almost too dual-boot friendly. I had to edit my config to tell it to stop showing me my data drives as bootable OSes.

But yeah, if you have Chimera or Chameleon installed then set your OSX disk to be your primary boot disk. The bootloader will scour other disks and give you the option of booting your other OSes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

invid posted:

IIRC it will only work if you're solo booting Mac OS X with some sleep/display rotate script. Won't work if you're dual booting Win and Mac Os X because the graphicframenbuffer won't be injected and you would not be able to select which OS to boot to.

That's only applicable to real Mac Pros, on a Hack you will get all the normal BIOS and bootloader screens that a PC would.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I would all ways go for one boot drive per OS. A 64gig hard drive is ok for me but I use a 1tb non SSD hard drive for data, Itunes etc.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
OK I am so close to pulling the trigger and buying a system build specifically to be compatible with Mac OS but I still have some reservations and need some advice before I proceed. The parts I have narrowed it down to are:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - This thread says prettymuch every part of the board works fine, I'm hoping he's right.
i5 4670K
16GB Kingston Black 1600MHz DDR3
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 OC
2x 180GB Intel 335 SSD (Win 7 and OS X)
2x 3TB 7200RPM HDD
Sonnet 3-Port Firewire 800 adapter
WQHD 27" monitor, planning to use displayport to get full res.
As well as case, cooler, 650w psu etc.

My early 2009 iMac is struggling to keep up with my audio needs and I considered buying the cheapest 27" iMac, but even though I am spending roughly the same on this system as I would on an actual Apple ultimately I will end up with a more powerful machine with better (actual?) future upgrade prospects. Overall my biggest concern with the DIY route is stability, I do a lot of music recording and production and the worst thing that could happen would be random crashes or other freakouts during tracking or other moment-critical music sessions.
It is a Haswell build, I'm trying to future-proof myself as much as possible even if picking these parts will give me short-term grief until the consumer release of 10.8.5 or 10.9. Is there any disadvantage to using the developer preview as the main OS? I do use a bunch of music programs and plugins, will they be cool with mavericks or should I stick with ML for the moment?
I chose that board for it's broad compatibility and very close to out-of-the-box function, and the firewire card costs twice as much as competing models but apparently the chipsets these cards use is a big deal when it comes to stable operation so I picked this one due to it having the correct chipset as well as being a product sold for use in actal Macs anyway. From what I have read I will need to do very little .kext dickery with this component list. I have never had to go this low-level with a mac before, is it wrong to say that the more .kext editing that has to be done, the less overall stability the system will have? That sort of hands on approach when it comes to vital system files was what turned me off hackintosh back when I bought the iMac, I work as an IT technician fixing macs and PCs every day and didn't want to bring the troubleshooting home with me so I am still entirely unaware of almost everything related to the setup of strange hardware in the OS X environment. Am I on the right track for easiest hackintosh possible? Cross-referencing a million threads across the internet has led me to where I am now with this parts list, a seriously overblown budget, and a slight sense of dread because every second post in any of the threads was "mine didn't work help me". I'm legit good at computers so I'm not worried about running into a few issues at the start but am I pretty certain to have a trouble free time in the spaces between installation and next update release?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Everything looks pretty good but if maximum stability is your main concern then I would stick with a card that exists in a real Mac, and preferably a reference model at that.

Someone might correct me on this point, but I thought the NV 7xx video cards were still experimental in OS X as opposed to say the 680 or Radeon 7950.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I don't have experience with that board or chipset but afaik with gigabyte boards it's pretty much plug and play these days, with maybe one or two kexts needed. If you are an IT professional you should have no problem getting that to be a stable system. That thread seems to have all the info you need, so I'd say go with it.

That said, it's not on tonymac's buyers guide yet, so continue at your own peril!! :o:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RandomCheese posted:

OK I am so close to pulling the trigger and buying a system build specifically to be compatible with Mac OS but I still have some reservations and need some advice before I proceed. The parts I have narrowed it down to are:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - This thread says prettymuch every part of the board works fine, I'm hoping he's right.
i5 4670K
2x 3TB 7200RPM HDD

My early 2009 iMac is struggling to keep up with my audio needs and I considered buying the cheapest 27" iMac, but even though I am spending roughly the same on this system as I would on an actual Apple ultimately I will end up with a more powerful machine with better (actual?) future upgrade prospects. Overall my biggest concern with the DIY route is stability, I do a lot of music recording and production and the worst thing that could happen would be random crashes or other freakouts during tracking or other moment-critical music sessions.
It is a Haswell build, I'm trying to future-proof myself as much as possible even if picking these parts will give me short-term grief until the consumer release of 10.8.5 or 10.9. Is there any disadvantage to using the developer preview as the main OS? I do use a bunch of music programs and plugins, will they be cool with mavericks or should I stick with ML for the moment?
I chose that board for it's broad compatibility and very close to out-of-the-box function, and the firewire card costs twice as much as competing models but apparently the chipsets these cards use is a big deal when it comes to stable operation so I picked this one due to it having the correct chipset as well as being a product sold for use in actal Macs anyway. From what I have read I will need to do very little .kext dickery with this component list. I have never had to go this low-level with a mac before, is it wrong to say that the more .kext editing that has to be done, the less overall stability the system will have? That sort of hands on approach when it comes to vital system files was what turned me off hackintosh back when I bought the iMac, I work as an IT technician fixing macs and PCs every day and didn't want to bring the troubleshooting home with me so I am still entirely unaware of almost everything related to the setup of strange hardware in the OS X environment. Am I on the right track for easiest hackintosh possible? Cross-referencing a million threads across the internet has led me to where I am now with this parts list, a seriously overblown budget, and a slight sense of dread because every second post in any of the threads was "mine didn't work help me". I'm legit good at computers so I'm not worried about running into a few issues at the start but am I pretty certain to have a trouble free time in the spaces between installation and next update release?

I understand you're cheap and wanting something cool for less money, but if stability for music production is a central focus of your computing needs, just get a freaking iMac.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'd suggest a 600 series geforce as well. The 700 series is almost just a relabelling anyway

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys. I chose that card because I want this to be a powerful gaming box on the windows side of things and a lot of places (this thread included) suggest the 770 as a decent mac compatible unit. I was originally aiming for a GTX660 but it doesn't seem that will handle games all that amazingly at 2560x1440, and honestly I'm a bit excited to be building such a powerful system so I might stick with this model, if I have issues I can use the onboard intel HD hopefully.
It's been over 5 years since I did my last home build and I'm kinda tired of the apple aesthetic at the moment anyway what with being surrounded by them for most of my waking hours, so I'm looking forward to revisiting the utilitarian screen-hooked-to-a-box concept. The ability to upgrade later is a big part of my decision as well, the CPU is really the only thing holding me back on my current iMac and it's a pity that I have to retire the whole machine because there's literally no way to improve it without finding a logic board for the higher end model and scraping up maybe an extra 200mhz.
I'm not a pro musician (yet) so if something did go awry occasionally it wouldn't be outright disaster, and I have backup recorders to catch fleeting moments of inspiration, but there are a lot of other people who have built some pretty serious hackintosh studio setups and they seem to work pretty well. I think overall my enthusiasm for researching and building a new PC after so long will mitigate any teething issues I have as I go forward.

Is there anything at all that just doesn't work with a hackintosh? I saw mention of things like the app store not working or the login screen not being visible if you use display port or little things like that, not dealbreakers but just inconveniences everyone puts up with for the sake of having a custom mac.

edit: On the whole stability thing, for those of you who are using a custom mac setup that you consider stable, does the whole system ever just wig out while using it or once you got it all configured it's been prettymuch smooth sailing?

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 23, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

Is there anything at all that just doesn't work with a hackintosh? I saw mention of things like the app store not working or the login screen not being visible if you use display port or little things like that, not dealbreakers but just inconveniences everyone puts up with for the sake of having a custom mac.

edit: On the whole stability thing, for those of you who are using a custom mac setup that you consider stable, does the whole system ever just wig out while using it or once you got it all configured it's been prettymuch smooth sailing?

I use a current gigabyte mobo but I have an 8800gtx because I a) got it for free and b) don't play any games newer than like five years old. The nice part is that the 8800gtx was an option on some mac pros so it works great. I'm sure using the HD4000 would work fine, too.

My system is completely stable. The only problem I have is rarely the wifi goes out and I gotta reboot but that happens with real macs too. The only thing that doesn't "just work" is updates; I run multibeast when I'm done updating to restore audio and ethernet.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

RandomCheese posted:

i5 4670K
2x 3TB 7200RPM HDD

This is pretty similar to the build I just did, except I popped an i7 4770K in there instead of the i5 and I've got a GeForce GTX 660Ti instead of the 770. It works really well; I'm running 10.8.5 (12F20) and haven't really had any stability problems. The only "problem" I'm having with it that I didn't have on my old Hackintosh build is that multi-monitor on the 660Ti doesn't work without a reboot - that is, if you just plug in another monitor it won't be detected by OS X until you reboot your computer. I haven't actually tried the onboard graphics (or audio since I use a USB thing) because I really don't have any reason to, but I could try it if you'd like.

Other than that, it's a pretty loving great build (I haven't noticed any other problems, incredibly) and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

e: forgot to mention that if you're planning on going with 10.8.5 instead of 10.9, the kext package from that post won't work, they're compiled for 10.9. If you want I could just zip up my whole EFI partition/folder I guess, it's only 2 kexts and an SMBIOS plist.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 23, 2013

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

mediaphage posted:

I understand you're cheap and wanting something cool for less money, but if stability for music production is a central focus of your computing needs, just get a freaking iMac.

Agree 100%.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Trigger pulled, the parts should trickle in from their various vendors over the next week or two and once I've got the system all nicely set up I shall tackle the mac side of things.

I've seen recommendations for a USB3 32GB memory stick in some threads related to hackintosh, is this just to have fast installation media for the initial and possibly repeated OS install or is it required as a bootloader? I'm still going through all the setup tutorials but I remember a friend of mine needing a USB loader for his hac system years back, is it still a necessity?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

binarysmurf posted:

Agree 100%.

Until everything is done and stable, there will be more trouble than you can shoot with a mini-gun. It is a simpler time then ever before, a time when parts can be slapped together with minimal-care and you can build a Macintosh. But it isn't all that simple. You might have trouble with this that and a little sumtin extra. The Genius bar will be no help, because they are narrow-focused autismals. Your only help will be the wealth of online info at your disposal. Have a laptop at your side for referencing what you need.

Poster Sinestro has successfully installed and currently runs Mavericks. It doesn't sound like the best decision to go with if you are hesitant about troubleshooting issues, but then again, he has said very little about running into problems.

Edit: USB2 is perfectly suitable for a boot drive. Either way, you only need an 8GB drive AFAIK. The 32GB USB3 would be handy to take advantage of your brand new USB3 ports.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

RandomCheese posted:

Trigger pulled, the parts should trickle in from their various vendors over the next week or two and once I've got the system all nicely set up I shall tackle the mac side of things.

I've seen recommendations for a USB3 32GB memory stick in some threads related to hackintosh, is this just to have fast installation media for the initial and possibly repeated OS install or is it required as a bootloader? I'm still going through all the setup tutorials but I remember a friend of mine needing a USB loader for his hac system years back, is it still a necessity?

A large usb 3 drive is useful to have to backup your installation on once it is up and running. Use superduper or carbon copy cloner. Then if you break something you have a back up ready. you can try out 10.9 on a separate partition but there are no guarantees it will work for you on a Mac let alone a hackintosh.(it does for me.)
:EDIT: seriously consider a 180gig partion on one of your hard drives for a clone of your osx boot drive.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 24, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I have had less issues with Mavericks then I have had with ML or any other version of OS X, and I've been doing this since 10.5 was brand new. I seriously can't think of a single Mavericks specific issue I've encountered. It's a "developer preview", but it has less problems than any full release of Windows or Linux I've ever used. If you use myHack, it is no more difficult than any other version of OS X to install. There's a reason I recommend it in the OP.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!
Anyone have ideas on getting iMessages working again? It suddenly stopped working for me today. I've tried updating from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4, using Chameleon Wizard to change/edit my smbios.plist (I tried moving from Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac 13,1 and back again, changing my serial number a few times), updating to the latest Chameleon bootloader, registering and unregistering my iphone and macbook, changing my apple id password, but no matter what I try, I keep getting the same error - Your Apple ID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time, If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with iMessage, contact iMessage support with the code below.

I've also deleted all my iMessage settings in my ~/Library/Preferences folder and I have a FileNVRAM.dylib in my /Extra/modules folder. Just browsing around on the internet, this should be working by now.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Attach your credit card to the Apple ID. I don't know why, but it worked for me.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!
Already had one attached, but just changed it to a different one. No dice :(

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Going to be building a Haswell PC soon and am trying to decide between a 240 GB SSD or two 120 GB SSDs. I've never done Hackintosh stuff before and am kind of stupid about hacky computer stuff, so if one hard drive is too hard to do, I'll pay the extra for the two drives. I assume do a partition in Windows and then erase it when installing, but I don't know beyond that.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

One is fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For two OSes I'd recommend two disks, just because it makes it so much easier to get into one OS if the other is acting up, or to unplug your OS X disk when installing windows to ensure that it won't overwrite your bootloader with its own retarded version.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So hopefully someone can educate me more on this issue since I've had a hard time finding info, but why is it that it seems like it is easier to use, say, a Radeon 79xx card on an actual Mac Pro vs. a Hackintosh? I know that with the Mac Pro, using a PC 79xx card will result in no screen until the OS fully loads, but otherwise it seems to work done. By comparison on a Hackintosh it seems as if you need to do some type of additional trick or such (such as the sleep trick or enabling the integrated GPU if available) to get the card to work. Seems as if ideally the behavior should typically be the same?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

For two OSes I'd recommend two disks, just because it makes it so much easier to get into one OS if the other is acting up, or to unplug your OS X disk when installing windows to ensure that it won't overwrite your bootloader with its own retarded version.

This is my take on it as well. It's just more flexible IMHO. If you can afford two drives and it won't put you out too much then I think this is the smarter way to go.

But that isn't to say that a one-disk solution is a nightmare or anything.

And now a question of my own:

I'm probably going to upgrade my motherboard to a different one I have lying around. I shouldn't need to reinstall the OS, right? It ought to be a matter of swapping the DSDT and any relevant support kexts? I'll probably need to remove the ethernet configuration plist or something too.

I'm basically trying to avoid reinstalling my OS until Mavericks is out, but I do a lot of VMware vSphere lab stuff with Fusion and I'm bumping up against the 12gb in my machine every now and then since I don't like to completely shut down everything else I'm doing on the machine at the time, and the other motherboard supports my i7 920 but will let me load up 24gb RAM.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 30, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't say I've ever tried (although I did go Rev A of one mobo to Rev B of the same mobo once) but in theory you should be able to do just as you said and have it boot just fine. Of course remember the BIOS settings on the new one.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm probably going to upgrade my motherboard to a different one I have lying around. I shouldn't need to reinstall the OS, right? It ought to be a matter of swapping the DSDT and any relevant support kexts? I'll probably need to remove the ethernet configuration plist or something too.

Yeah, I just did this when I built my GA-Z87X-UD3H system. All I had to do was upgrade to 10.8.5 for Haswell support and then delete the old DSDT (the Z87X-UD3H doesn't need one) and put in a kext for Ethernet support. You might also want to change your SMBIOS plist if the specs are going to be radically different.

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013

Momonari kun posted:

Going to be building a Haswell PC soon and am trying to decide between a 240 GB SSD or two 120 GB SSDs. I've never done Hackintosh stuff before and am kind of stupid about hacky computer stuff, so if one hard drive is too hard to do, I'll pay the extra for the two drives. I assume do a partition in Windows and then erase it when installing, but I don't know beyond that.

After my hassell last night i have to agree and say two separate drives.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Yeah, I just did this when I built my GA-Z87X-UD3H system. All I had to do was upgrade to 10.8.5 for Haswell support and then delete the old DSDT (the Z87X-UD3H doesn't need one) and put in a kext for Ethernet support. You might also want to change your SMBIOS plist if the specs are going to be radically different.

I ended up going to 10.9 which worked pretty well overall but I have had a couple of random crashes and sleep mode doesn't seem to work so I think I might drop back down to ML to see if those issues clear up. Does the 10.8.5 update need to be applied to the OSX image prior to installing the OS or can it just be upgraded as usual after you get the initial install done?

Despite the couple of crashes I was surprised with how easy it was to build a functioning mac, I am very happy with my new build. The worst experience of the project was the myhack install creator unmounting the USB drive to format it and then remounting it as / instead of the full path so that, as I realised too late, it wrote the 10.9 installer over my existing OS on my iMac. Being an IT professional, of course I didn't have any running current backup to easily restore my OS so I had to spend the better part of the day recovering from that before I could even make the install disk for the hackintosh project. Didn't lose any data though which is cool I guess.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

I ended up going to 10.9 which worked pretty well overall but I have had a couple of random crashes and sleep mode doesn't seem to work so I think I might drop back down to ML to see if those issues clear up. Does the 10.8.5 update need to be applied to the OSX image prior to installing the OS or can it just be upgraded as usual after you get the initial install done?

Despite the couple of crashes I was surprised with how easy it was to build a functioning mac, I am very happy with my new build. The worst experience of the project was the myhack install creator unmounting the USB drive to format it and then remounting it as / instead of the full path so that, as I realised too late, it wrote the 10.9 installer over my existing OS on my iMac. Being an IT professional, of course I didn't have any running current backup to easily restore my OS so I had to spend the better part of the day recovering from that before I could even make the install disk for the hackintosh project. Didn't lose any data though which is cool I guess.

You might need to use a donor Mac (just pop out the drive you're going to be using on the mew machine and hook it up to your iMac, I guess - you should be able to just do a clean install and then modify the EFI partition) since Mountain Lion's kernel doesn't have support for Haswell before 10.8.5 with the exception of the special build of 10.8.4 that comes with the new MacBook Airs. Like I said earlier, the Ethernet kext included with the 10.9 package won't work with 10.8.5 though, so let me know if you need it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There was some discussion a few posts back about putting OSX and Windows on the same disk... I wanted to chime in and say it can be done, but its a bit of a bitch...

I have a 512GB Samsung 840 SSD. I wanted OSX on the SSD... There are some gotchas with this:

1. OSX requires a GPT partitioned disk.
2. Windows 7/8 can boot off a GPT disk, but only if they are 64-bit editions, and you must boot using EFI mode. The traditional Windows MBR boot loader does not understand GPT formatted disks, and it won't boot from them.

After a few hours of reading up on GPT and EFI I figured out what to do.

I ended up using the Gparted Live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) to convert my SSD to GPT partition format (it does this without wiping the disk!). Still in GParted I created the required FAT32 EFI boot/system partition (it can be anywhere on the disk), and then copied the Windows EFI boot file (from c:\windows\boot\efi\bootmgfw.efi) to it. I was able to boot back into Windows using EFI mode at this point.

Using Windows disk management, I made a partition for OSX to reside on. And then went about installing OSX the normal ways.

I actually like the way EFI handles boot.. Want another boot loader? Just copy its .EFI file to the EFI system/boot partition and it will show up in your BIOS' boot sources menu :) No more mucking around with master boot records and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

-Forget what was here-
Trying to get 10.9 installed on my new Haswell (Gigabyte motherboard Z87-D3H I think, 4670k, gtx 660), since some 10.8 thing I found isn't working.
I own a legit copy of ML, is there any way for me to get at a 10.8.5 installer? I app stored it a year ago. Will 10.8.<5 work long enough for me to run the update (Assuming I can find that)?

myHack seems to boot to a grey screen and then hang, ideas?
Fixed with PciRoot=1. and updated ioPci or w/e listed on the myHack guide.
Now that the installer is running it seems like all the animation is sped up 2-3x, like playing a DOS game on a Pentium 3 back in the 90s. Is there an issue with the system timers on has well systems?
I sure hope my X-Fi (heh x-fi owner) works, I seem to recall making it work before but it was a pain.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 2, 2013

• Locked thread