Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Beeftweeter posted:

Do you have a Logitech keyboard or mouse? Their horrible loving drivers crash literally every few minutes for me (look for LCCDaemon in Console) and sometimes when that happens I get what you're describing.

Nope :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Might be an ATI thing then (maybe it doesn't like your crossfire setup?), I'm not really sure. I've been team green since like 2005 :getin:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Since Google seems to be completely worthless for this, is there any way to get iMessage working in Vmware 11 (or in general) without a donor mac? I don't really have a machine that will do Hackintosh well (my laptop uses optimus graphics and the wifi is completely unsupported) but I have some software for work that I want to be able to run at home. I have the VM basically working as well as it's going to but it'd be nice to use iMessage.

The OS itself I got through my roommate's machine but he's super paranoid about getting locked out of iMessage so he won't let me use the info on it, so I don't really have a mac I can use otherwise.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Which OS though?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the prognosis like for 4K displays with a Hackintosh? Will a GTX 760 drive a 4K display decently?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Chris Knight posted:

Which OS though?

Sorry, was running Yosemite but I think I found my answer (no, unless I get lucky and generate some legit info.) All good though, a coworker of mine is selling me his Mac Mini so I won't really need to worry about it in a week.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the prognosis like for 4K displays with a Hackintosh? Will a GTX 760 drive a 4K display decently?

Seems to work fine for me. I have a 760 driving two 4k screens and it's totally fine.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Crap, I meant to post this in the OS X Software topic, not Hackintosh.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 9, 2015

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah I'm on 10.9.5 and use a 4k screen with a 770. Had to choose "best for this display" when choosing resolution otherwise it wouldn't go above 30hz but once I ticked that option everything works smoothly. I didn't need to install any additional Nvidia drivers, my display is MST so I think they work natively.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

So i currently have two hackintoshs in the house. My desktop using Mac Mini 6,2 SMBIOS and an Intel NUC as an HTPC. The NUC was originally using an iMac SMBIOS but i recently changed it to a Mac Mini 7,2. All that went through just fine and to OS X it appears to be showing up as a Mac Mini (Late 2014). My problem is, there seems to be some cruft leftover from the iMac SMBIOS. These are just visual issues, everything is functioning correctly, but it just aggravates me.

This is how the HTPC shows up in my finder on my desktop. The Icon is the icon of an iMac. I have tried using Onyx to delete all kinds of caches and everything else but it's still not showing up as a mac mini.

On the NUC the system thinks it's a Mac Mini, but it's still showing up as an iMac visually.

Obviously, again, these aren't affecting the operation of the machines but it's annoying me anyway. Any suggestions on a fix?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lignicolos posted:

So i currently have two hackintoshs in the house. My desktop using Mac Mini 6,2 SMBIOS and an Intel NUC as an HTPC. The NUC was originally using an iMac SMBIOS but i recently changed it to a Mac Mini 7,2. All that went through just fine and to OS X it appears to be showing up as a Mac Mini (Late 2014). My problem is, there seems to be some cruft leftover from the iMac SMBIOS. These are just visual issues, everything is functioning correctly, but it just aggravates me.

This is how the HTPC shows up in my finder on my desktop. The Icon is the icon of an iMac. I have tried using Onyx to delete all kinds of caches and everything else but it's still not showing up as a mac mini.

On the NUC the system thinks it's a Mac Mini, but it's still showing up as an iMac visually.

Obviously, again, these aren't affecting the operation of the machines but it's annoying me anyway. Any suggestions on a fix?

Is the serial number you generated (or cloned I guess) an iMac serial?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I've just installed Yosemite on a Dell Optiplex 760 using Clover. Everything works except iMessage, the App Store, and iCloud. I've tried changing the UUID, ROM, MLB, SN, etc., and I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried EFIStudio, deleting all the network adapters and re-adding the ethernet adapter, with no luck. I've checked that my MLB and ROM are persistent across reboots.

I'm using the built-in ethernet, which is en0. I followed the install instructions at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302877-guide-mavericks-1010x-dell-optiplex-780-760/

and this is my first install, so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Any suggestions? My AppleID should work, since I use it on my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad.

The errors I'm getting are "The AppleID is valid but is not an iCloud account" when trying to sign into iCloud, "validation error" with the app store, and something generic with iMessages.

Khelmar fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 11, 2015

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

Is the serial number you generated (or cloned I guess) an iMac serial?

The original serial # was an iMac serial, but a generated one not a cloned one. when i changed the SMBIOS i changed the serial as well, to a new one that matches the format of the mac mini 7,1 serial number. As far as I can tell the system thinks it's a "mac mini (late 2014)" everywhere but those two things.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Works fine so long as it is an SST display and not MST.

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah I'm on 10.9.5 and use a 4k screen with a 770. Had to choose "best for this display" when choosing resolution otherwise it wouldn't go above 30hz but once I ticked that option everything works smoothly. I didn't need to install any additional Nvidia drivers, my display is MST so I think they work natively.

You're the only person I know to have MST working on 10.9. It used to work on 10.10 with the Nvidia WebDriver and some loving around with AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy, but not anymore. Weird!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lignicolos posted:

The original serial # was an iMac serial, but a generated one not a cloned one. when i changed the SMBIOS i changed the serial as well, to a new one that matches the format of the mac mini 7,1 serial number. As far as I can tell the system thinks it's a "mac mini (late 2014)" everywhere but those two things.

That's weird, it might be cached somewhere (on either computer, who knows) then. Now that I'm thinking about it I had the same problem when I changed my SMBIOS from an iMac to a Mac Pro, so it's definitely an actual issue.

Khelmar posted:

I've just installed Yosemite on a Dell Optiplex 760 using Clover. Everything works except iMessage, the App Store, and iCloud. I've tried changing the UUID, ROM, MLB, SN, etc., and I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried EFIStudio, deleting all the network adapters and re-adding the ethernet adapter, with no luck. I've checked that my MLB and ROM are persistent across reboots.

I'm using the built-in ethernet, which is en0. I followed the install instructions at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302877-guide-mavericks-1010x-dell-optiplex-780-760/

and this is my first install, so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Any suggestions? My AppleID should work, since I use it on my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad.

The errors I'm getting are "The AppleID is valid but is not an iCloud account" when trying to sign into iCloud, "validation error" with the app store, and something generic with iMessages.

Try cloning one of your real Macs using the values from imessage_debug (see this post) to rule out it being an issue with your Apple ID. I haven't heard of this particular problem before, but it might just be Apple not liking the generated stuff. If that works, you could try generated values afterwards and see what happens.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

enMTW posted:

You're the only person I know to have MST working on 10.9. It used to work on 10.10 with the Nvidia WebDriver and some loving around with AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy, but not anymore. Weird!

Wait, sorry got my acronyms wrong, my screen is sst, the good type of the *st genus. Philips 40" 4k.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I have a NUC that I'm not using anymore. Can I easily put OSX on it ? NUC DN2820FYKH 4Gigs, running a 2.4GHz N2830 Celeron.
It's either this or Lakka (https://www.lakka.tv/)

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Beeftweeter posted:

Try cloning one of your real Macs using the values from imessage_debug (see this post) to rule out it being an issue with your Apple ID. I haven't heard of this particular problem before, but it might just be Apple not liking the generated stuff. If that works, you could try generated values afterwards and see what happens.

Right after I post the message, I figured out that ethernet had magically switched to en1 instead of en0. A quick delete of the NetworkInterfaces plist and I'm set. Thanks!

Khelmar fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Khelmar posted:

Right after I post the message, I figured out that ethernet had magically switched to en1 instead of en0. A quick delete of the NetworkInterfaces plist and I'm set. Thanks!

I kind of hate that. Every time I ever ended up doing a Hackintosh build, ethernet would end up on en1 because I'd init WiFi first, since my machine had a sort of natively supported card, which I purchased ages ago. It was that, or have no network at all, then somehow get both ethernet and wifi drivers installed and restart the wizard so I could restore my Time Machine backup.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I just got a Dell P2415Q a few days ago and it works perfectly with my GTX 970 over DisplayPort. The display is incredible for the price and all of the same scaling options that you would get by using a retina Mac are available. You probably won't have any problem with just normal desktop use, but you might be a little disappointed with gaming performance with your 760 :shobon:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a objective reason why gigabyte boards work better or is that not the case anymore?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They have more standard compliant parts which have many drivers and support from the community making them an easy choice for a Hackintosh.

As you might have seen in the thread other boards and complete packages can be used, but whether they work or not is a little more spotty or require more work or might be missing features than a GA board.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm trying to build my first Hackintosh for a friend, who is trying to do video and 3D rendering, as well as standard Adobe works.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2NWzdC

Will everything in this list generally be good? Are there any things that will NOT work with this build? I've designed it with as many CPU cores that can fit in the budget, so I went with Xeon, basing it off the hardware that I THINK was in one of the newer Mac Pros, but sometimes Apple does a pretty decent job obfuscating hardware stats.

TIA for any help that can be offered.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm trying to build my first Hackintosh for a friend, who is trying to do video and 3D rendering, as well as standard Adobe works.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2NWzdC

Will everything in this list generally be good? Are there any things that will NOT work with this build? I've designed it with as many CPU cores that can fit in the budget, so I went with Xeon, basing it off the hardware that I THINK was in one of the newer Mac Pros, but sometimes Apple does a pretty decent job obfuscating hardware stats.

TIA for any help that can be offered.

Use a Gigabyte board/Haswell-EP does not have great OS X support yet (Apple doesn't use it in the current Mac Pro)

GTX 970 requires the Nvidia WebDriver, too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Pretty sure you can get an AMD Radeon 290x for the same price as that 970 and it'll perform better in Premiere and Resolve (though it may require a bigger power supply). It'll also work natively in Yosemite.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

1st AD posted:

Pretty sure you can get an AMD Radeon 290x for the same price as that 970 and it'll perform better in Premiere and Resolve (though it may require a bigger power supply). It'll also work natively in Yosemite.

enMTW posted:

Use a Gigabyte board/Haswell-EP does not have great OS X support yet (Apple doesn't use it in the current Mac Pro)

GTX 970 requires the Nvidia WebDriver, too.

I was working off of this guy's information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWa2z34Kps

I didn't realize that motherboard manufacturer was such a big issue.

I'm trying to build this thing with as many cores as possible in the budget of $1000-2000; I used to do 3D modelling and Mac, but that was 8 years ago. I remember core counts and OpenGL really making a difference with render times -- now CUDA is out, I thought that Nvidia was the hot manufacturer for compute acceleration.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 2, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I was working off of this guy's information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWa2z34Kps

I didn't realize that motherboard manufacturer was such a big issue.

I'm trying to build this thing with as many cores as possible in the budget of $1000-2000; I used to do 3D modelling and Mac, but that was 8 years ago. I remember core counts and OpenGL really making a difference with render times -- now CUDA is out, I thought that Nvidia was the hot manufacturer for compute acceleration.

Yeah, it matters a lot. Gigabyte is always the right choice if you want things to work.

You can totally go X99, but power management isn't there yet and it's a bit hacky.

CUDA is great, but the GTX 9XX and 750ti and a couple other cards need the Web Driver, which may matter to you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

enMTW posted:

Yeah, it matters a lot. Gigabyte is always the right choice if you want things to work.

You can totally go X99, but power management isn't there yet and it's a bit hacky.

CUDA is great, but the GTX 9XX and 750ti and a couple other cards need the Web Driver, which may matter to you.

What's the deal with web drivers? Do you mean to unlock their full potential I just download it from their site? Seems easy enough.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For me to install the Web drivers you need a "Native Card" to boot up on first before you can install. Once you installed it and set the appropriate flag, then you can swap out the GFX card. However every time a new system kernel comes out there is a high chance that it either breaks the driver or the driver considers itself out of version and stops working. Which means you either eagle eye every system update and wait for new Web Drivers or wait for the a-ok from others. If you are willing to deal with the extra maintenance and hazards, go right ahead.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Maybe he was assuming that unsupported video cards simply booted up to a VESA framebuffer? I know I was, somehow. It's probably been at least six months since I parted ways with my last Hackintosh installation, though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

oohhboy posted:

For me to install the Web drivers you need a "Native Card" to boot up on first before you can install. Once you installed it and set the appropriate flag, then you can swap out the GFX card. However every time a new system kernel comes out there is a high chance that it either breaks the driver or the driver considers itself out of version and stops working. Which means you either eagle eye every system update and wait for new Web Drivers or wait for the a-ok from others. If you are willing to deal with the extra maintenance and hazards, go right ahead.

Oh that's loving awful, OK, I see now.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

What's the deal with web drivers? Do you mean to unlock their full potential I just download it from their site? Seems easy enough.

A card that requires the WebDriver does not get graphics acceleration (so a super laggy UI) or the full resolution of the card without said driver.

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh that's loving awful, OK, I see now.

nv_disable=1 = you can install just fine. No need to swap. For things to be 'supported', you just have to wait for a new WebDriver for each point release (though usually a beta driver comes out before the final point release) and install it. Final drivers usually come out a day or two after Apple ships an update.

You also probably should mod the driver to remove the strict version check. Very rarely does a point release actually require a new WebDriver. 10.10.2 was the first one I can remember in years. There is also the whole 'Apple bumping version number of OS up with each Security Update' thing they've been doing lately.

Requiring the WebDriver is annoying but not the end of the world.

Speaking of betas: Here's the WebDriver for 10.10.4 (seeds) http://us.download.nvidia.com/ipgCkMiRhadhtNldetR3gz0e8zu7KdF2/WebDriver-346.01.03b01.pkg

It doesn't do a strict version check, will load on all '14E' OS X builds.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 3, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enMTW posted:

A card that requires the WebDriver does not get graphics acceleration (so a super laggy UI) or the full resolution of the card without said driver.

For me I get black screen on update after the Apple logo (780ti). Maybe I am doing something different. I really should switch over to 10.10 clover sometime, did try before, but it didn't take. I currently use Chameleon or some variant of it and clover does seem to be better in the long term, but I will have to learn a lot of new things. Any recommended guides?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

For me I get black screen on update after the Apple logo (780ti). Maybe I am doing something different. I really should switch over to 10.10 clover sometime, did try before, but it didn't take. I currently use Chameleon or some variant of it and clover does seem to be better in the long term, but I will have to learn a lot of new things. Any recommended guides?

Clover is much better in a lot of ways (I posted some basic tips earlier in this thread) but it doesn't have a lot to do with the WebDriver.

Which version of OS X are you on? Describe your issue in detail, please. I can help!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OS X 10.9.5 (13F34). I stopped right there since a new driver didn't come out for mysteries known, I couldn't figure out why changing the version on the driver didn't work. At this point there is no trying to fix this when I should just move to 10.10.X. When I tried loading clover it just wouldn't boot from the stick I had prepared. I tried several guides, but same result, likely messed up setting up the partition. I have another disk with OSX on it that exists pretty much to be experimented on so if whatever you suggests breaks it, it's no biggie.

As I said before, better off moving up to(10.10) solve the problem than to stay put. Thanks in advance.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

OS X 10.9.5 (13F34). I stopped right there since a new driver didn't come out for mysteries known, I couldn't figure out why changing the version on the driver didn't work. At this point there is no trying to fix this when I should just move to 10.10.X. When I tried loading clover it just wouldn't boot from the stick I had prepared. I tried several guides, but same result, likely messed up setting up the partition. I have another disk with OSX on it that exists pretty much to be experimented on so if whatever you suggests breaks it, it's no biggie.

As I said before, better off moving up to(10.10) solve the problem than to stay put. Thanks in advance.

Ok, so:

If you get a black screen after an OS update, boot with these args: 'nv_disable=1 -v'. On 10.10, use 'kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1 -v'.

I believe in Chameleon (it's been a long time) to enter args, you select the OS drive with the arrow keys and just start typing, hit enter when done etc.

That'll get you into the OS so you can update the WebDriver.

To remove WebDriver strict version checking: /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext

Copy the kext out of the folder (obviously), go into Contents, go into Info.plist, go to IOKitPersonalities, NVDAStartup. Under 'NVDARequiredOS', change the value to 13. Reinstall the kext, done. To do the same on 10.10, change the value to 14. You can also straight-up delete the 'NVDARequiredOS' entry, but don't do that. The WebDriver has never worked between OS versions anyway.

The Security Updates for 10.9.5 don't change anything graphics related, they just bump the version up. Removing the strict version check like that will fix it. If you want, I can walk you through going to 10.10 as well.

A brief guide to Clover: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558672&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

enMTW fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 3, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kext-dev-mode=1

This is new to me. I have saved the post to reference to later. If it works like it should it would save me a lot of hassle down the line. What about moving to 10.10? Audio and network would have to figure out mostly by myself unless there is a nice database somewhere I don't know about or I can simply use existing kext drivers ala Kext wizard and the like.

Don't worry, I won't start anything on the main drive until the test drive is stable and I will Time machine the main anyway just in case I have to reimport the data. Has happened before, takes like half a day to sort out.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

kext-dev-mode=1

This is new to me. I have saved the post to reference to later. If it works like it should it would save me a lot of hassle down the line. What about moving to 10.10? Audio and network would have to figure out mostly by myself unless there is a nice database somewhere I don't know about or I can simply use existing kext drivers ala Kext wizard and the like.

Don't worry, I won't start anything on the main drive until the test drive is stable and I will Time machine the main anyway just in case I have to reimport the data. Has happened before, takes like half a day to sort out.

ah yeah forgot you're not on 10.10 when I wrote that. You'll need that in 10.10 but don't use it on 10.9, it doesn't do anything.

What motherboard and specs do you have? I'll walk you through Clover and 10.10 once I get the specs. :)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i7 4770K with Intel graphics disabled at bios, not currently OC.
GA Z97X Gaming 7 Mother board
32 GB DDR3 Rated for 1800, but was never stable at this speed so runs at 1600
EVGA 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 Super clocked version
Multiple HDD and one 1TB Samsung SSD 840 EVO as main.

I also should a get or generate a serial number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

i7 4770K with Intel graphics disabled at bios, not currently OC.
GA Z97X Gaming 7 Mother board
32 GB DDR3 Rated for 1800, but was never stable at this speed so runs at 1600
EVGA 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 Super clocked version
Multiple HDD and one 1TB Samsung SSD 840 EVO as main.

I also should a get or generate a serial number.

Perfect. I have a similar motherboard, even. I'll write something tonight/tomorrow. Grab Yosemite off the Mac App Store while you wait. You're also going to want two USB sticks - one 8gb or higher, one of any size above, say, 100mb.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 3, 2015

• Locked thread