Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It works a lot better with newer hardware these days. Basically plug and play with maybe one additional step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I don't have experience with that board or chipset but afaik with gigabyte boards it's pretty much plug and play these days, with maybe one or two kexts needed. If you are an IT professional you should have no problem getting that to be a stable system. That thread seems to have all the info you need, so I'd say go with it.

That said, it's not on tonymac's buyers guide yet, so continue at your own peril!! :o:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

Is there anything at all that just doesn't work with a hackintosh? I saw mention of things like the app store not working or the login screen not being visible if you use display port or little things like that, not dealbreakers but just inconveniences everyone puts up with for the sake of having a custom mac.

edit: On the whole stability thing, for those of you who are using a custom mac setup that you consider stable, does the whole system ever just wig out while using it or once you got it all configured it's been prettymuch smooth sailing?

I use a current gigabyte mobo but I have an 8800gtx because I a) got it for free and b) don't play any games newer than like five years old. The nice part is that the 8800gtx was an option on some mac pros so it works great. I'm sure using the HD4000 would work fine, too.

My system is completely stable. The only problem I have is rarely the wifi goes out and I gotta reboot but that happens with real macs too. The only thing that doesn't "just work" is updates; I run multibeast when I'm done updating to restore audio and ethernet.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Vaguely hackintosh related:

Do you guys know if there are any drivers for Windows that will let me use my Apple keyboard volume keys? I gather that real(tm) Apple machines let you do this in bootcamp by installing some drivers. Do these also work on a hackintosh? I really want to get vol up/down running when I have to reboot into Windows every now and then.

I just use a generic USB keyboard and the volume keys work in osx and in windows (OOB).

A question of my own: today when I came out of sleep, I started reading some emails and suddenly my monitor displayed only static. Turning the monitor off and on didn't change anything, but I rebooted and everything seems fine. It's weird because it looked just like TV static but I use DVI which is of course digital. I gather that sometimes this happens on real macs too? Anybody else have this happen? (I have an 8800gtx)

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 8, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Crazy coloured static?
That is a long-standing OS X bug.

Usually turning the display off and on will fix it but I guess not in your case unfortunately.

Yeah crazy coloured static accurately describes it; good to know it's not just me.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Be warned that I have never dealt with this, so I'm basically guessing from my knowledge of other OSes:

The partition table is separate from the actual partitions, located on a special part of the disk (which is the MBR in legacy systems), so the partition is still in the same place and it's just the thing that points to it which has been changed. You should just be able to install a bootloader and you'll be good to go.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have limited success using usb 3 ports in ml. Sometimes they work, but often they don't. I just use my usb 2 ports to be safe. I think Mavericks is supposed to fix this.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It shouldn't prompt you to use a profile if you're just running myfix (it will if you select "install an extra folder" but you don't need that.) Just drag your added kexts to extra/extensions and then run myfix on the volume.

Alternatively you may need to just specify arch=x86_64 at boot time. I was getting similar errors recently on a computer I was trying to get running lion and it turned out it was due to it trying to boot into arch=i386. x86_64 fixed it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Edited because I answered my own question.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 23, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Can you get it to boot with -x (safe mode?)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Have you installed chameleon on your osx drive yet? That won't necessarily fix your PCI issue (though it might) but you'll need to install the bootloader to your osx drive to be able to boot sans USB stick. If you're not booting osx from your hard drive, it doesn't matter what kexts you have in the osx drive's extra folder because it's not booting from the drive, it's booting from your USB stick.

As far as the PCI issue goes, have you tried playing with your bios settings? Sometimes switching that stuff around will make it work, even if the bios settings you change aren't directly related to the PCI bus. But I think the problem might be that you are booting from the USB stick and not the hard drive, which means it isn't actually loading the PCI kext you have installed.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 24, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, you just missed the step of installing the bootloader onto the hard drive probably. I think myhack usually does that for you during the install, but it's certainly possible to miss it. If you can, put the OSX drive into another computer running OSX (or just put it in an external enclosure) and then install chameleon to it, then make sure all the kexts you need are in /Extra and run myfix.

What is [probably] happening is that you have all the kexts you need in your /Extra folder, but you are booting off the USB disk and it is loading all the kexts in the USB disk's /Extra instead of your hard drive's.

You should also make sure that you have selected your OSX hard drive to boot first in the bios, or alternatively some motherboards allow you to hit F12 and select which disk to boot from. Even if you have the bootloader correctly installed on the hard drive, if it's not hard drive #1 in the boot order then the system is gonna boot off drive 1 instead. (You probably know this already but I want to make sure I covered all the bases :))

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 24, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What does it stop on now? (Use -v to get all the details)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sounds like haswell is kinda funky all around when it comes to this kind of thing maybe?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah for what it's worth tonymac stuff pretty much always works flawlessly so if you ever have trouble with myhack or another method try the whole unibeast/multibeast thing out. Even though tonymac is a bit weird.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Maybe try nvenabler? That's often the go-to kext for nvidia hacks. Make sure you get the 64 bit version.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Sometime later in the year I plan on blowing some cash on my first ever Hackintosh. Since I still do some PC gaming I plan on dual-booting it with Windows. However, for some less-intensive games (DOTA 2 or whatever) it'd be handy for me to run an extra install of Windows in a VM so that I can play them while doing my main stuff on a Mac (unless there's some way to hop into my main Windows install through a VM and get access to all my stuff, in which case holy gently caress that's awesome!)

Is an SSD (currently planning two 120GB SSDs, one each for OSX/Windows) basically a must-have these days for installing software on? Or would a 60GB SSD drive for each OS and then install Steam, Adobe CS, etc on a regular ol' HDD be sufficient? It seems that my shopping list technique of "I want everything with the biggest numbers" is not going to be friendly with my bank account so I'm seeing what I can drop down on while still having a solid computer that'll last me a good few years.

As you can tell, it's been a long time since I really knew what I was doing building computers and I have very little experience with OSX's performance.

Also: 8GB RAM? 16GB?

I don't game so 8GB is fine with me for now. I'm sure I'll go to 16 eventually. Also, as I used a motherboard that has 100% working power management in OSX, I didn't sweat the whole SSD thing and I just used two HDDs. It's fine, as the only time the slower access speed is really an issue is on startup, and I rarely shut it down. I just put it to sleep, and sleep/resume is instantaneous.

I am a cheap bastard though and didn't quite trust SSDs, that's the only reason I didn't use one. I already had a couple of nice big SATA HDDs sitting around.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Don't sweat using tonymac, he may steal other people's code but he puts it together in such a way that all you have to do is use unibeast to install and then run multibeast. It's hands down the best way to do a hack; use it to get everything running and then you can delve into the nitty gritty if you want.

Seriously using tonymac will make everything go way more smoothly.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Another successful upgrade to mavericks here, which appears basically the same except for added apps and a new-looking activity monitor. Seems faster in pretty much every way, too.

EDIT: Although for some reason it now takes a minute or two to go to sleep. Not a big deal, it still wakes up instantly. I might just have a wrong kext somewhere.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 23, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I use an oldass generic linksys card that had the firmware updated to be compatible with linux years ago, it works flawlessly. Well, as flawlessly as an old g-band card can work, it's pretty slow but doesn't drop connections.

For what it's worth, even real macs have had numerous wifi woes, including randomly dropping connections.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

evol262 posted:

The claim was DMCA related, not imaging (hence why Psystar's later attempts to sell a USB device were shut down), and specifically addressed copy protection circumvention, based on DSMOS.kext. That particular claim doesn't mean much these days, but Chameleon and Unibeast are subject to exactly the same precedent -- retail OSX doesn't work unmodified, and someone's put work in to bypass Apple's copy protection, which was/is the basis of their claim

It kinda does work unmodified though, you can get a vanilla install going if you have an efi mobo. I mean, you gotta install a bootloader of sorts but it's kinda nebulous at that point, and it'll run without any added kexts, though sleep might not work.

Regardless, it's still technically a violation of the EULA. But I'm under the impression, especially in this post-Steve Jobs era, that Apple will take any name recognition they can get. I'm willing to bet that they don't care if you build a hack, because that introduces you to their ecosystem and makes you start thinking "Hey, I should buy an iPhone/iPad/Macbook, because OSX works so drat well!"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Is your motherboard's SATA mode set to AHCI?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Yes. Chrome isn't exactly running smoothly within the system, either, if it helps. Sometimes the page "locks" into place and I can't scroll up or down. But I'm not stuck on that, I really just want to be able to boot from SSD and then upgrade later on.

For what it's worth my system has been doing this too ever since the upgrade to Mavericks. Never did it on Mountain Lion so I'm hoping it gets fixed with an update.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm pretty sure if you want to use a CPU that wasn't packaged with a real Mac at some point you need a hacked kernel, and I'd imagine haswell is too new to have a hacked kernel available.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If everything works in 10.8.2 just leave it. I had 10.8.3 running flawlessly and when 10.9 hit the app store I was like "Cool, upgrade time!" It's pretty much fine but there are a few issues like random 15 sec freezes that make me wish I had just stayed at mountain lion install. Generally if it works, don't gently caress with it until the next major release comes out with a few updates, then do the one big upgrade and just keep it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So my ga-z77-ds3h based hack updated itself to 10.9.1 (not a huge fan of the app store being the update method in mavericks but whatever) and everything works except for some reason my drat audio only works coming out of the front i/o panel I have installed and not from the rear motherboard port like it always has. Not a huge deal as my audio still works, but I don't really want to have to have it plugged into the front as it ruins the smooth looks of my beige desktop case from 15 years ago.

Anybody have this problem? I can see multiple lines out in the preferences but only the front one actually works.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, apparently it actually doesn't work from any port now, what the gently caress. Yes I have the kext installed (887/888b) that has worked in the past.

It appears that 10.9.1 severely bugged out my audio to the point that it would sometimes work from the front panel, but randomly die, and never work from the back panel. Combined with the issues I had with graphical glitches and chrome/firefox freezing, I've opted to restore my Mountain Lion disk image until I can be sure Mavericks will work fully.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 2, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You need to add some poo poo to [I think] your chameleon boot.plist file. I think it's something like EthernetBuiltIn=Yes but you should probably google to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I wouldn't go above snow leopard with that laptop.

• Locked thread