Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I am in-loving-love with my hackintosh. I think this is worth including in a new thread:

ALWAYS VERIFY AND REPAIR PERMISSIONS AFTER YOU USE MULTIBEAST AND/OR INSTALL KEXTS

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. Verify Disk Permissions
3. Repair Disk Permissions

I don't know what this does exactly, but it is a step that MUST be done, unless you are attempting a Snow Leopard install with Multibeast, in which case you need to check the box in MB that says "Verify and Repair Disk Permissions".

In my experience, v+r has fixed issues I have had with proper sleep and sound functionality. It takes 10 minutes at most using a 7200rpm SATAIII hard disk, and if it involves issues following the installation of new kexts, this is worth trying. Just cold-boot following the v+r and give it a run.

So why is it impossible that parts-manufacturers would market their wares as hackintosh friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
the text it spews out has a whole bunch of signifiers, which kind of looks like this

bloopity.apple has ---v--xd-, it should have -f-v---d-
bloopity.apple now has -f-v---d-

I may be reading into it too much, but each "-" probably signifies a permission, and the entire OS is a house of cards that gets mildly thrown out of whack with unofficial kexts. Repair permissions, lest your tower topple over.

I was upset when I realized my career path would force Macs into my life, but I honestly love tinkering with this thing. I'm already dreaming of a mini-hack in the future.

Edit:

Sinestro posted:

In Unix-based systems, this is also referred as 755 permissions.

That's really profound-ish sounding.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 15, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

binarysmurf posted:

Agree 100%.

Until everything is done and stable, there will be more trouble than you can shoot with a mini-gun. It is a simpler time then ever before, a time when parts can be slapped together with minimal-care and you can build a Macintosh. But it isn't all that simple. You might have trouble with this that and a little sumtin extra. The Genius bar will be no help, because they are narrow-focused autismals. Your only help will be the wealth of online info at your disposal. Have a laptop at your side for referencing what you need.

Poster Sinestro has successfully installed and currently runs Mavericks. It doesn't sound like the best decision to go with if you are hesitant about troubleshooting issues, but then again, he has said very little about running into problems.

Edit: USB2 is perfectly suitable for a boot drive. Either way, you only need an 8GB drive AFAIK. The 32GB USB3 would be handy to take advantage of your brand new USB3 ports.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I have a 300R w/ window, it is a solidly built case with great wire management features.

This next point concerns your choice of mobo and CPU:

Check if your Microcenter has a cheaper listing for the 3770. Last time I checked, the 3770k is still on sale for $249.99 at my local branch AND it is being bundled with mobos for additional savings:

One of the bundles is a 3770k w/ a Gigabyte Z77-UD3H (Normally $34 more than the DS3H) for $364.98, as opposed to the your total of $399.97 for the 3770 and DS3H.

Main differences include the UD3H having an additional PCI x16 slot and 6x USB3 instead of 4x USB2 + 2x USB3.

The 3770k is functionally the same processor as the 3770, but with the ability to overclock it. You might want to get a Hyper-212 EVO CPU Cooler as well.

In regard to your choice of monitor:

Confirm what steps you might have to take in order to get HDMI audio to function. I don't know if you have to do anything if you use a discrete graphics card, but it is a journey and a half to get it working for someone with my build. Just make sure you know what you are going to need to do ahead of time.

Good luck!

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 30, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
So...ya'll are trying to make "Hackpads" now. Except you are using real hardware and the full MacOS. You are making the iPad that everyone wanted, and no one has the balls to request from Apple because Papa knows best.

God speed you wonderful goons.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
There are plenty of reasons why an external FireWire/USB box is preferable to a card. Look into the Scarlet series for a cheaper 2-input device.

I'd stay away from anything that accepts only RCA inputs. They are easily <$50, but are not optimal for analog signals, allowing in more noise than many are comfortable with.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

Well I am needing at least two inputs and two outputs. How are the USB boxes? I am always worried about latency from them especially at high bit rates. I wonder if Thunderbolt boxes are in the pipe yet.

This is the box I referenced earlier. Two combo-jack inputs, support for Phantom power, headphones, USB2 interface, and 1/4 monitor jacks. Look around for a cheaper price, obviously, but I generally saw it for $150.

Finding a box that uses a Firewire800 interface leads to more expensive results. Frankly, thunderbolt is overkill for the level of data that is being sent. HQ audio is just not that demanding by today's standards, but FW800 is definitely the pinnacle for interface options if you wanted to push the envelope.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
The speed is certainly a HDD vs SSD problem. Your processor is still going to keep your experience using programs a lot smoother, it just can't load them any faster.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Oh do tell. How is SL on an Atom?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Depending on if this is your first Hack, it might be very worth it to get some practice with how your build works.

Do you already own 10.8? If not, you would have to spend an extra $20.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
As always, your specs are important for help. I installed the Intel and Atheros ethernet kexts for my GA-z77x-UD5H when I installed ML. Would the same apply for you? Who knows!

Edit: Sorry for getting snippy. Are you using a PCIe ethernet card as previously mentioned in the thread? What model is it?

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 27, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

agarjogger posted:

Sandy Bridge into an Ivy i5 Thinkpad.

Please explain this. How does this work out?

Edit: Found a thread on the TM forums for my model. Seems to be a bit buggy, but holy crap this would be pretty hilarious to pull off.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 10, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
That seems to be an ongoing problem with USB3 ports on Hacks. They work fine with USB3, but will fail to register USB2 devices. Maybe that is an overstatement, since they seem to register your keyboard for short intervals.

My mobo only has two USB2 ports, which I reserve specifically for my keyboard and mouse, and pray to god I never have to worry about a USB2 flash drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Y'all are making me want to scrap my stable 10.9.3 install and start from scratch with Clover. Sounds like I might actually get my front side usb3 to work.

• Locked thread