Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hahaha, what the gently caress is this?

http://www.kadenshojo.com/madomagi/

Well, Pleiades started out as a shameless marketing ploy and turned into something majestic, but I suspect that the Madoka side of the production won't be given be given the creative freedom to do something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Phobophilia posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this?

http://www.kadenshojo.com/madomagi/

There has to be a line where we have to stop turning things into anime girls but I can't for the life of me find it.

And now I'll forever be unable to get angry with my computer when it freezes up. It's okay, take a break. We'll restart later and try again.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

That reminds me, did anyone see the Madoka/Magical Girl episode of Nisekoi? Was really fun, episode 8 of the most reason season if I remember correctly.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i do not quite understand why madoka is noclipping through a washing machine

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
They hosed up by not making Kyoko some sort of food making appliance.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Starsnostars posted:

They hosed up by not making Kyoko some sort of food making appliance.

I thought food naturally grows out of refrigerators?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Ahh I skimmed past the fridge and only saw the iron.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Space Flower posted:

There has to be a line where we have to stop turning things into anime girls but I can't for the life of me find it.

And now I'll forever be unable to get angry with my computer when it freezes up. It's okay, take a break. We'll restart later and try again.

And when it randomly wakes up from sleep mode in the middle of the night, I'll just assume it had a nightmare. (that happened 4 times last night, seriously)

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I've been pleasantly surprised by the Madoka manga I've read recently. Usually the spinoff manga or the adaptations are not very good, so this trend is a bit surprising. The first was Oriko Magica Extra Story, which I purchased pretty much solely to get a better sense of the characters while writing dialogue for those two in Vice Virtuoso's Madoka Civ mods. Considering how the original Oriko was, I was expecting more of the same, however, I found that Extra Story was more or less decent. It expanded on all of the original characters in Oriko, giving them the entirety of the focus and making them somewhat interesting characters. It felt like the absence of the central cast actually helped here, as their presence really does overshadow these characters specifically. As well, there's a moment in the manga which ties really well into Madoka's core philosophy, but hasn't been explored too much in the main series, at least not exactly.

The second was Homura's Revenge, which I was expecting to be terrible from what Vice told me of the Japanese reviews, but it also turned out pretty good. The premise is essentially that during the last loop Homura actually does what she thought she should have done as presented in Rebellion ("I shouldn't have allowed that to happen. No matter what it took, I should have stopped you back then."), and stops Madoka from contracting. She does this by grabbing her and resetting time, which takes Madoka back with her. It's non-canon, obviously, as it's using the series loop as part of the premise, but that twist starts another loop where things end up quite changed around. I felt like the characters were pretty on-point with the exception of Kyuubey at times, and the changes flow fairly naturally from the premise. There's a character moment with Madoka and Homura in particular that I felt was pretty well done. I'd probably rate this around the level of Portable, and if you liked what Portable did, you'll probably like this as well.

All in all, it seems like Madoka manga may be on a bit of an upswing, but I'm not terribly confident in Homura Tamura (a comedic spinoff that just sounds like an official doujinshi) or Suzune Magica (yet another spinoff based on an original character), so I'll suppose we'll see.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 22, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finally got around to watching this Rebellion review linked two pages back. Man, this guy is bad at humor and needs to take a forensics class.

e: This 'joke' about lesbians and fapping is making me embarrassed for him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, what you said about Oriko rings pretty true. There's tons of potential in the Madoka premise and setting, but the original spinoffs need to just be their own thing instead of trying to incorporate the cast of the anime.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

I finally got around to watching this Rebellion review linked two pages back. Man, this guy is bad at humor and needs to take a forensics class.

Look at this fun hater.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hommando posted:

Look at this fun hater.

I like fun, it's just that so far this "review" is him poorly delivering "jokes" while literally summarizing the movie with no further commentary.

I'd rather watch Demolition D. Or even recent Red Letter Media.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

I like fun, it's just that so far this "review" is him poorly delivering "jokes" while literally summarizing the movie with no further commentary.

I'd rather watch Demolition D. Or even recent Red Letter Media.

Some of his jokes fall flat and he has this really bad tendency to make terrible AMVs, but I still like his interpretation of some of the scenes.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Hommando posted:

Look at this fun hater.

He's pretty on-point though, while SFDebris is very good at analyzing Madoka (being in part what influenced me to analyze it), his attempts at humour in his videos come off as awful and completely tone deaf. That whole sequence about lesbians and homophobia in his video of episode 12 are utterly cringe inducing, especially considering what Madoka isn't. I.E, cheap, sexualized yuri shoujo ai otaku bait.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, an example of something that goes more for hilarity while critically analyzing a piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bWHY9xKr4

And examining it a bit more seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfM3WjyCt8s

And no, I don't have a mancrush on demod.

e:

Endorph posted:

Yeah, what you said about Oriko rings pretty true. There's tons of potential in the Madoka premise and setting, but the original spinoffs need to just be their own thing instead of trying to incorporate the cast of the anime.

Kazumi tried that and didn't do very well, even though it had some very neat ideas and exploring more of the universe is something I'd be all for.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 23, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Demo always intersperses his videos with MadoHomu. I don't have a mancrush either, he's just really level-headed and funny and I have his youtube favorites set as one of my playlists.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

He's a huge nerd, but -unlike most- his analysis is good. Yet his jokes, music selection, and punchlines are godawful.

I enjoy madoka but, just as with Eva, nerds tend to over-analyze it to insane levels (sorry Lord Justice but you're looking too much into it. Sometimes cool stuff is there just to be cool). I like rebellion, I like its ending because it is a complete 180-degree turn from the tv series one but it is not forced and actually makes sense.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 24, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked his review of the original series but not the review of rebellion, it felt like too much time was spent just saying what happens.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

trucutru posted:

He's a huge nerd, but -unlike most- his analysis is good. Yet his jokes, music selection, and punchlines are godawful.

I enjoy madoka but, just as with Eva, nerds tend to over-analyze it to insane levels (sorry Lord Justice but you're looking too much into it. Sometimes cool stuff is there just to be cool). I like rebellion, I like its ending because it is a complete 180-degree turn from the tv series one but it is not forced and actually makes sense.

My apologies, but I don't really agree with that sort of approach as it were. At least not in regards to Madoka, which I feel isn't really possible to "over-analyze" due to the complexity of the work, especially with Rebellion. My attempts at analysis are really my attempt to understand Madoka on a deeper level, which I feel is possible because Madoka's construction allows for that sort of thing. My understanding of the work has shifted remarkably from when I first watched Rebellion over a year ago, and much of that is thanks to my analysis, both here and elsewhere. Rebellion, to me, is now a better film than it was a year ago, and that completely stems from my changing perspective on the work. In a sense, it almost feels like Rebellion was explicitly designed to be interpreted such that, to really understand Rebellion, such analysis is functionally a requirement.

Of course, I'll also be the first to say that my viewpoint is subjective to myself, people are going to approach Madoka differently. How an artistic work is interpreted is always up to the viewer experiencing the work.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 24, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

My apologies, but I don't really agree with that sort of approach as it were. At least not in regards to Madoka, which I feel isn't really possible to "over-analyze" due to the complexity of the work, especially with Rebellion. My attempts at analysis are really my attempt to understand Madoka on a deeper level, which I feel is possible because Madoka's construction allows for that sort of thing. My understanding of the work has shifted remarkably from when I first watched Rebellion over a year ago, and much of that is thanks to my analysis, both here and elsewhere. Rebellion, to me, is now a better film than it was a year ago, and that completely stems from my changing perspective on the work. In a sense, it almost feels like Rebellion was explicitly designed to be interpreted such that, to really understand Rebellion, such analysis is functionally a requirement.

Of course, I'll also be the first to say that my viewpoint is subjective to myself, people are going to approach Madoka differently. How an artistic work is interpreted is always up to the viewer experiencing the work.

lol

Seriously though, please stop using 5 words where 1 will do.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like Sfdebris, Madoka, and Sfdebris analyzing Madoka.
I do not like Kill la Kill, or thinking about Kill la Kill.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Acne Rain posted:

I like Sfdebris, Madoka, and Sfdebris analyzing Madoka.

I do not like Kill la Kill, or thinking about Kill la Kill.

I'll alert the relevant authorities.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

which I feel isn't really possible to "over-analyze" due to the complexity of the work,

Lol. thus my mention of "insane levels".

Good for you to enjoy it, but just because you see overly profound/complex things in rebellion doesn't mean that they are actually present in the movie (and this has nothing to do with subjectivity)

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

trucutru posted:

Lol. thus my mention of "insane levels".

Good for you to enjoy it, but just because you see overly profound/complex things in rebellion doesn't mean that they are actually present in the movie (and this has nothing to do with subjectivity)

I don't believe this to be correct, especially in regards to Rebellion. True, I do use some concepts that exist outside of the movie in that they aren't directly referenced (the four forms of the Greek interpretation of love, or the concept of the Pharmakon as applied to Madoka's approach to love in an in-progress analysis, to name a few examples), but in those cases I feel it serves as a useful tool for understanding the work. More to the point however, I feel this is a subjective argument, precisely because of Rebellion's construction. Rebellion as an artistic work is dense and layered, with double and triple meanings behind much of the dialogue and imagery. Rebellion is not a simplistic work, and the understanding of its meaning is tied to how you appraise it. In other words, there is much more to Rebellion than is obvious after viewing it once, twice, or even sixteen times like myself. Like I said previously, my understanding of the film has changed radically since first viewing, and Rebellion's complexity is the source of that changing perspective.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 24, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lol if you read those posts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lol if you watch any anim 16 times

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

Lol if you watch any anim 16 times

I'm pretty sure I've watched Serial Experiments Lain and Escaflowne 16 times. :v:

Of course, they were the first two non-DBZ anime I ever watched.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 25, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Justice is my friend now and they are allowed to post all they want about Madoka. Namtab you are being warned.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Lord Justice is my friend now and they are allowed to post all they want about Madoka. Namtab you are being warned.

Many thanks for the support, friend.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Try and stop me

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Sharky is right

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I like Bebe the most

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

.jpg posted:

I like Bebe the most

Bebe is pretty great. And I don't get why she gets ragged for serving the same purpose to Rebellion that Mami had in the series. I get what the argument is ("fanservice! aaaaaaaaaa stop pleasing people!!!!!!") I just don't see how it has any credence.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bebe was largely unnecessary and integrated just enough into the story that removing her would be somewhat difficult, but not enough to satisfactorily justify her existence.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Bebe is pretty great. And I don't get why she gets ragged for serving the same purpose to Rebellion that Mami had in the series. I get what the argument is ("fanservice! aaaaaaaaaa stop pleasing people!!!!!!") I just don't see how it has any credence.

The issue with Bebe/Nagisa is one of characterization. In effect, she really doesn't have any, beyond liking cheese. This is the central issue; when she's supposed to be part of the central cast, but the rest of the central cast completely dwarfs her as proper and developed characters. I'm hoping that we get a spinoff manga that goes into her backstory within the series universe, and shows her development from Magical Girl there to Magical Woman in Rebellion. I would also argue that Mami is far more developed in the the series compared to Nagisa as well. Mami is characterized by her attempt to appear as the "senior Magical Girl"; to address her loneliness by impressing Madoka and Sayaka. As well, due to this, she acts as an unwitting surrogate for the Incubators, lying for their benefit in tempting Madoka and Sayaka to be Magical Girls. This then ties into Sayaka's own sense of justice and attempting to live up to Mami's "example", which in part leads to her own destruction.

As well, Mami serves as a device utilized for what I call "contrast through inversion", wherein a work flips itself from one specific form to another. Within the series, this change is created by Mami's death, to showcase the real reality of Magical Girls and how everything up to that point was essentially a fantasy. Lastly, Mami is also shown to be something of a zealot and mentally weak, crumbling under the truth of what Magical Girls really are, and attempts to kill the remainder of the Quintet.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 25, 2015

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Bebe talks the cheese talk, but is she even seen eating any cheese in the movie? She eats cake and when she transforms she dives in to a blender full of cakes, but where is the cheese??

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

.jpg posted:

Bebe talks the cheese talk, but is she even seen eating any cheese in the movie? She eats cake and when she transforms she dives in to a blender full of cakes, but where is the cheese??

29:46.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

God drat she really does love cheese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bring me the cheese witch manga!

• Locked thread