Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
For the third movie, it's still entirely written by Gen right? I'm just curious about the chances of an extension to a completed story being as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's subtitled "Rebellion"? Now I'm really curious what Gen has in mind.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I just want to know whether it fits with the original story and whether it's worthy to be a sequel. If it's like Another Story that that's great but if it's like Oriko, then I'll be conflicted.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

As I understand it, the movie starts in a few hours in Japan. Are you guys ready for the spoilers?

I just want to know if the movie is a worthy sequel. If it overturns everything, it has to do it in a good and conclusive way. If it's just tacked on or changes things for simply shock value I will be very disappointed.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
If the stuff I'm reading is true, I no longer have any interest in the 3rd movie. Even all the accolades I've waxed rhetoric on for Madoka seems hollow if Rebellion is the conclusion. Makes this thread's title ironic.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 25, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Isn't there going to be a fourth movie too?

I haven't heard that but I haven't been keeping a close eye out either.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'm clinging to extreme misunderstanding as my last hope right now =)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

By the way, they are considering a third season and more movies. Not that I blame them. The franchise is a cash cow; they'd be fools to abandon it.

They're trying really hard to jump the shark here.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Sounds like it was a good movie then with a weird ending. I wonder how long the end sequence was compared to the rest of the movie.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Got my ticket to see it on the 9th. Ending spoilers notwithstanding, I'm starting to get pretty excited about this again =)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I thought it was interesting how QB almost appeared to be feeling fear. I wonder if they'll work with that in the inevitable continuation

As for the last 1/3rd, I didn't hate it but I dislike the "went crazy because of love" plot element so I'm biased against the direction they went with Homura. I think I would have been a lot more fine with it if her justification was almost anything else.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 12, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

Chrono: Given the reason for the plot's existence, what else could it be? That also assumes Homura went yandere instead of just being crazy by the point she realizes no john you are the demons. Or when the Platonic Madoka says she'd never want to do what she did in the series if it'd hurt Homura or anybody she cared about. You can see the point where Homura's heart and mind breaks in that scene, like that one episode of the Simpsons.

I honestly wonder why people keep thinking Homura hadn't left on the Shinkansen to Crazytown long before she snatches Madoka.

I felt that what Madoka had innocently said could be interpreted in a somewhat different way, that is, if she made a wish she would choose it so that it wouldn't leave herself completely lonely. And she didn't since Sayaka and Nagisa clearly maintain their individual identity. And that Homura would eventually get to join her.

I strongly believe that Madoka accounted at least some for the consequences because her final wish included taking care of her own grief to the point where she too won't have to despair. This is the ultimate Madoka saying that with every timeline integrated so I'm pretty convinced.

Considering Homura's eventual response all the way up to "that moment", I was able to believe that she had interpeted it that way as well.

But given the events, she definitely interpreted it the way in your spoilers.

What really bugs me more than that is why Homura would have the ability to hijack Madoka at all. It makes enough sense that she could bork things such that even Mami and Kyoko could see Madoka descending but it's not like her wish's power increased like Madoka's could.

It's funny because I was wondering how the QB could try to hijack Madoka but it turns out their method and idea was sufficiently convincing while I'm still wondering why Homura could do what she did.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 12, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Eej posted:

Madoka's power wasn't anything special in the original timeline. Homura constantly looping for a hundred years or however many times in order to save Madoka as the target of her wish caused the karmic imbalance to build up in Madoka's existence such that she was able to become a god. I imagine similarly enough, the fact that Homura has been working towards her wish probably longer than the lifespan of every magical girl's career put together would also build up this karmic potential. Also the unique circumstances of her short existence as a witch.

Basically she made Madoka into god so why wouldn't she also have that potential?

Because Madoka still had to make a new wish to unlock that power. Homura is still operating under her original wish made when she wasn't actually anything special.

And even if it increased her power, it still doesn't actually explain the ability to hijack a concept because her (still operating) wish didn't actually involve that.

In fact, considering the wording of the original wish, if Homura had gained enough power to overrule an universal concept, then it should have erased Godoka altogether for yet another reset

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

Chrono, you are both way underthinking and way overthinking this poo poo at the same time.

Because this poo poo is blindingly obvious to me but a lot of people are struggling with it, so I want to get people up to my level.

I'm not sure why you think your interpretation is blindingly obvious when your spoilered interpretation is full of assumptions. I'm just not willing to make the assumptions because they're not necessarily good ones even if it juryrigs the result to fit. It's simply _too easy_ and _rather unsatisfactory_ considering the level of expectation I now have for the series ever since the TV run ended. I might even say it's trite and boring.

It's partly why I'm concerned that Urobuchi has left the subsequent conclusion to others because I already saw what that results in with Gargantia.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

The writer's way is the way that's backed up by Chrono and other people getting mad about this movie: make Homura look as bad as possible as fast as possible so people buy her being the next major antagonist
Wow.

I didn't even say I disliked the last 1/3rd of the movie (after I watched it) and I'm still quite interested in where it's going to go (and also very tentative because it takes skill to make even a good idea work).

So you can stop trying to fit people who don't happen to feel the same way you do into "the other box". I don't have to "hate Homura" in order to think that there are visible seams that may or may not be sewn up in the followup.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 13, 2013

• Locked thread