Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Namtab posted:

I am literally incapable of watching a dub with Christina Vee in after finding her youtube videos of her doing lovely dubs of like the Haruhi OP and other poo poo.

Except those are all amazing and she's a great singer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It won't happen, but if it somehow did, I'd watch it (and just be prepared to be disappointed).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cubemario posted:

How does that work anyway? I see it a lot in anime where teenagers live alone in an apartment, how is that legal?

My understanding is that it's not super uncommon for (rich) parents to get their high-school aged children an apartment near their school if it's all the way across town (which it often is because of the system where children apply for the schools they want to enter, rather than just being assigned the nearest one). That's obviously different than the parents being out of the country, but it's plausible the same set of laws cover it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bro Enlai posted:

You know, those things are going for $400 on eBay, compared to $50-75 for the others. Everyone in my theatre got either the Sayaka/Kyouko or the Mami/Nagisa.

They said the exact same thing at the Seattle showing. And speaking of, this marquee seemed oddly fitting--

Funny, I was at one of the Seattle showings and we didn't get any of that.

Camrips tend to be too lovely anyways--I'll wait for the BDs for my inevitable rewatch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lamhirh posted:

The bluray box's retail price is 26250 yen, but Amazon is selling it for about 19000.

I'm fine with how Aniplex does it. For normal localized releases, they're so worried about Japanese customers reverse-importing it to save money that they purposefully make the releases subpar, stripping out all the extras. Aniplex's business model of charging more but giving the same thing is nice if you're a fan who wants the extras. And this is just speculation, but I would think the market of people who want to own physical copies but aren't hardcore fans is shrinking, what with most people watching things online.

Does that version still have the english subtitles?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jonjonaug posted:

The Japanese box set release? No.

So when someone said Aniplex is ripping off people too lazy to import, they actually meant they're ripping off everybody who wants it in english, which is very very different.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jonjonaug posted:

OK here's how Madoka's disc releases work.

Series Individual Volume Release: The BDs released in America are slimmed down versions of the Japanese release, but only slightly. The Japanese release has cast commentary for every episode with a different production staff member sitting in on each one, along with three drama CDs. The English release has a dub. The limited edition English release has the soundtrack CDs that were released with volumes 2, 4, and 6 of the Japanese release. The Japanese release by volume would cost around 350 dollars or so, I believe, at the time they were released on Amazon (not including shipping costs, which were higher at the time). The English limited edition, while having less contents, cost around 225 dollars.

Box Set Series Release: This was Japanese only and does not include the bonus CDs, it's just the episodes plus commentary. This set costs around 190 dollars on Amazon. It's closest equivalent would be the regular edition Blu-rays, which cost about 120 dollars total on rightstuf.

Movies - These are all direct imports of the Japanese release with translations for the included booklet containing staff interviews and the like. They're priced nearly equivalently to the Japanese retail cost. Amazon has them for cheaper in Japan, but with the added shipping costs to import it yourself it works out to about even, I think.

Ok, thanks. I was mostly wondering if I should move my purchase of the new movie to import or not, and this helps a lot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rebellion only became a good movie the second time I watched it. It's incomprehensible gibberish the first time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PerrineClostermann posted:

It was easily comprehensible the first time. My friends and I debated it the entire ride back.

None of my group did better than "I think I understand maybe most of it" coming out of the theater.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked his review of the original series but not the review of rebellion, it felt like too much time was spent just saying what happens.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

lord justice, can you type 5000 words about mami's boobs?

Are you the boob fairy, going from thread to thread making sure people are talking about boobs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can easily see a reading that as the Magical Girl->Witch transition is or can be a metaphor for puberty, it's only natural that Homura, the only Magical Girl who owns her transition, rather than being ruled by it, would embrace her place as an adult, and the sexuality that comes with it. There's definitely more to it than "tits are good"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The devil Homura figure is pretty cool, and looks good next to the Godoka figure.

Also, stop freaking the gently caress out over cleavage, it fits thematically and sexuality won't kill you. Yes, some works are over-sexualized, but that doesn't mean sexualization is inherently bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the same cannot be said for nisekoi

Um Nisekoi is good though????
Like it's sort of gradually trending downwards but it started out pretty high so it's still good. It'll probably suck in season three though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Those swimsuit figures are bad but not because of sexualization, they're just extremely mediocre.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My translation of that post is "I am either asexual or a literal child, and the concept of sexuality coming anywhere near me frightens me."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was gonna say there's a difference between seinen and shounen but apparently seinen means teenagers and shounen means actual children, I always thought the term meant something older. Well that's your update into my life.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thuryl posted:

is that actually any good? most of what i've heard about it is "vaguely dark, vaguely gay magical girl show made in the wake of madoka"

I've watched the other two of those shows (good but jumps the shark and mediocre throughout, respecticely), so I want to know this too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Justice posted:

Sexualization is, at least in the case of female characters, designed solely to objectify them for the purposes of male titillation. This becomes even worse when it using teenage characters in a similar fashion. I don't see why it is a controversial or contrarian opinion to be against that sort of thing.

Sometimes boobs are just boobs, not weapons used by the patriarchy to oppress women.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here's a handy cheat sheet:

The closeup of Mami's boobs? Titillation, the "bad" (though that's debatable) kind of sexualization
Homura's devil outfit? A character expressing her sexuality in-universe in a way consistent with her character, the "good" kind of sexualization

Please nobody write an effortpost on how this analysis is incredibly simplistic and there's shades of gray, I don't think Lord Justice could withstand it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Namtab posted:

sorry, but you have noticed an example of sexualisation in madoka, which goes against shafts vision for the series, this makes you a paedophile

Foils, you saw through my agenda to turn everyone who watches this deep show which exists solely for the sake of pure art into a pedophile.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Justice posted:

If you're referring to the change from Godoka saving Homura to the creation of Demon Homura, this happened early in the writing process.

It happened early in the writing process in order to leave it open for a sequel.

Seriously dude, things can have both good and bad aspects.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thuryl posted:

ok thanks for the info, my girlfriend and i have been looking for a trashy action anime with cool ladies in it to fill the dirty-pair-shaped hole in our hearts but it sounds like we should probably just watch symphogear or gatchaman crowds instead

Symphogear is also pretty mediocre.

Have you watched Kill La Kill? If you're looking for something "trashy" then oh boy does it deliver.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Justice posted:

Are you attempting to argue that Urobuchi compromised his writing? Because he didn't, he made the change to Rebellion on his own after getting Shinbou's input. Everything in Rebellion, including the ending, works as an extension of the series, Urobuchi didn't write what he did solely for the monetary implications. He's a better writer than that.

Praise lord Urobuchi, for he can do no wrong.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Packing all my figures up would be a huge pain so my plan is to never move again for the rest of my life.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Space Flower posted:

Nagisa's mom was dying in the hospital and she wished for one cheesecake. 8yos are the real evil.

Basically, every single magical girl but Madoka is extremely bad at wishes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

The first timeline's Madoka used her magical girl wish in order to save a cat from being run over by a truck.

I take it back, they're all bad at wishes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually Mami's wish was probably "I want to live, also make me have tits the size of my head at age 14" so maybe she's not so bad at it after all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Starsnostars posted:

Sayaka got increased healing powers after her healing wish, I wonder what extra powers a cake wish would have granted.

The impression I got is that becoming a magical girl doesn't actually fulfill your wish, it just gives you the magic you need to fulfill it your own drat self. So Kyubey would probably just toss her a cookbook and call it a day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I took his advice and put him on ignore, I suggest you all do the same.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Srice posted:

All this kerfuffle has reminded me that I never watched Rebellion and heck, maybe I'll fix that this weekend.

Don't bother, it objectified homura by showing her shoulders, thus retroactively ruining the entire franchise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Torquemadras posted:

Okay.

So I'm not an Animes man. Watched the Bebop, Akira, Evangelion, Miyazaki, and I reaaaaaally liked Satoshi Kon. That's the extent of my anime knowledge right there. I figured once I'd give the moving pictures versions of Berserk and JoJo a try, but it fell kinda flat for me. Too little motion, stupid CGI, dialog feels stupid when condensed to a Magical Narration Second instead of some speech bubbles.

And then some girl starts talking about Madoka, how it's apparently awesome, but it's also recommended to me by a self-confessed brony, so like hell I'm stepping near that one.
When I actually gave it a try, I literally knew nothing about it except there's magical girls and a bunnycat which is evil, but I thought people exaggerate.

:stare:

Seriously, I've seen nothing like it. I've later read people comparing it to the insanity of late Evangelion, but Evangelion was painful until the last six episodes + End of Evangelion or so. The fights scenes were so great, and I love the different styles for the witches. I couldn't really imagine how to continue from the series except for a major retcon (and I guess the last movie did, in fact, have a character in-universe forcibly retcon the story?), but Rebellion did a nice job. Liked how people kept punking time-stop powers.

Is there anything comparable to this? I'm not even that sure what was so compelling to me about this. The freaky mixture of styles, the time travel reveal, the apocalyptic atmosphere, a story not afraid of outright tormenting its characters, gloriously insane battles (Za Warudo army, gun-fu in slowmo, chainspear (???) shenanigans)... And something else that bothers me in many shows: although there are many talking heads scenes (hell, the bunnycat does a ton of deliciously evil monologues), it's not static, they do tons of camera tricks. The whole anime didn't feel static to me at any point. Maybe it's just a production value thing, or typical for that studio, I have no idea. I don't know anything about cinematography either, I just suddenly noticed the lack of something that bothered me elsewhere.
Any recommendations? I'm hooked, and I've run out of anime.

The author is Gen Urobuchi (fate/zero, psycho-pass, tons of other stuff I'm forgetting), though this is his best work or close to it.

The animation was done by shaft (nisekoi, monogatari series, tons of other stuff).

The closest thing to more Madoka (besides watching the third movie, which is good) is probably Fate/Zero. Same author (though he was working with someone else's IP), same music composer, one of the best animation studios around (though the art is much more grounded than Madoka, there's nothing like the witch sequences).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nanoha was cool at one point but the writers have absolutely no idea what made the franchise cool in the first place so they've been loving it up since strikers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't mind so much the extra characters if they knew how to focus on the cool ones.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

epitasis posted:

my thoughts on Madoka is playing her must have been really grueling for the actress because after a point like 90% of her lines are just absolute anguish and desperation

Nobody told Kyubey's voice actress anything about the role besides he was a cute animal companion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Kyubey just wants her to wish for no more Mondays.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In my experience, Urobuchi does good work 3/5 the time, bad work 1/5 of the time, and mediocre work 1/5 of the time. I have seen five things he did.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Incomplete list of things that are cool:
Madoka
Fate/Zero
Fat/Stay Night

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Namtab posted:

None of those things happen in kara no kyoukai

Or Tsukihime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Space Flower posted:

"I find it kind of weird to try and compare Fate/Zero and Madoka rather than the work Fate/Zero is supposed to be compared to"
"F/Z has nothing in common with its parent other than the premise and setting"

Sorry, I didn't know we were switching goalposts from F/SN to Kara no Kyoukai. I'll try to keep up.

I guess you could say that fate/stay night and kara no kyoukai, or fate/stay night and tsukihime are companion works, in that they were written by the same guy, years apart.

Except your post explicitly called out certain things as being facets of TYPE-MOON works. And then we listed TYPE-MOON works without them.

• Locked thread