Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Don't mind the OP part about Nanoha, that was written by Kyuubey. You can tell because even though what's stated may not be an actual lie, there's enough omitted and implied to make the statement shamefully misleading anyways. :)

Really hoping the third movie plays in the same locations as the first two movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The only part I can actively fault him in is just up and leaving the hospital without telling her. That's just plain lack of respect. The rest can be at least partially excused.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

It really depends on what tends to push your buttons. For instance, I have a tendency to tear up at bittersweet partings. Obviously Key stuff has plenty of that, but in Angel Beats, the only time I got teared up was at the graduation ceremony. None of the earlier stuff did, because it felt a bit forced to me (or maybe overly dramatic, not sure). Not Key or Madoka-related, but the scene in Dusk Maiden of Amnesia when Yuko fades away as she and Teichi write their farewells in the notebook is another great example that got me seriously teared up (nevermind the part right after that). In Madoka, the part that actually gets me teared up every time is when Madoka goes throughout time and history, saving all those magical girls from turning into witches (though not death) and letting them be at peace. The rest I feel is sad, but never makes me tear up.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

ViggyNash posted:

The part you mentioned, time-traveling Madoka saving all the MGs throughout history, it more heartwarming to me than it is heartwrenching. It brought a smile to my face rather than a tear to my eye.

I actually agree. Bittersweet always involves both happiness and sadness, it's just that usually the mix is more heavily weighted towards sadness. This is one of those times it isn't, thus even though I'm more overjoyed than sorrowed, I still tear up. That swirl of contrasting emotions just gets me.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I love seeing new reactions as much as anybody, but my hopes keep getting dashed every time I see the thread get bumped and it's not to reveal the US showtimes and locations for the third movie.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Excellent, cancelling all other plans for the appropriate day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Saw the Raleigh showing on Tuesday with a friend, very much enjoyed it! My only real disappointment was in not getting any loot. The theater gave away the stuff by drawing numbers that were linked to individual tickets. Making it especially painful was that both the numbers directly above and directly below mine got called, but mine didn't. :negative: My friend got one of the Goddoka drawings, too.

For the movie itself... Amazing visuals and direction, as expected. Music was solid, though there weren't as many standout tracks as I was expecting. Plot wise, I think the first 2/3 (my cutoff being right before Homura captures the human part of Goddoka) makes sense and was a great choice to use for a sequel to the series. And I honestly would've been perfectly happy if they had ended it with Homura about to be relieved of her duty and pain by Goddoka. Specific observations from this part:
- The Kyuubeys' experiment setup was an inspired choice for the plot. It's a logical continuation of a plot point from the series, in keeping with their nature, and let some serious creativity be used for the witch barrier.
-Speaking of witches, Witch Homura's familiars were unusually menacing. Most witch familiars (and witches) don't show much of an expression, but some of her familiars went from nonchalant to a bloodthirsty grin right before striking. :froggonk: If familiars are a reflection of the witch, maybe Homura's mental state is even more disturbed than I previously thought.
- Great fight direction for Homura vs Mami.
- I enjoyed seeing the combination attacks during the fight against the nightmare, hopefully we can see more of that in the future.
- Speaking of the nightmare fight... I'll have some of whatever the creative team was having when they came up with that cake song sequence. :stare: Was there any significance to the specific foods Madoka, Sayaka and Homura said they were? I understand Mami's and Kyoko's choices.
- The witch/magical girl duality was cool, and made for more interesting fights.
- Thought Charlotte (in magical girl form) wasn't used enough.

The last 1/3... I also really liked it, but it took a few hours of thinking about it before I could decide it also made sense, especially with the knowledge there would likely be further continuations of the franchise in the future. The part I'm still wondering most about is that final shot of Kyuubey's eyes. I'm wondering if that implies they can now feel emotions. If so, might a Witch/Wraith/whatever form of Kyuubey be possible in the future?

Great sequel to a great series, and if the quality can be kept up, I'm all for another sequel.

• Locked thread