Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Dungeonmans is a--

Uncle Jam posted:

Dungeonmans is a fun game where you kill scrobolds and think about nothing else other than having fun. Then you die, and you go look at the fresh grave with your next character.

I'll allow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYMNvwqSvs

Dungeonmans can be purchased at the link below. Steam Early Access begins 28 May 2014, or you can jump into the Balpha right away.
http://www.dungeonmans.com/?p=362

The Dungeonmans Kickstarter was a great success! Goons were one of the top sources of contribution to the project. There wouldn't be Dungeonmans without you! :tipshat:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

Dungeonmans is a lighthearted 2D roguelike set in a persistent world of high adventure that grows and evolves as you play. Explore untamed wilds, delve the deepest dungeons, crush terrible and remorseless monsters, and roll around in piles of shiny loot. A new overworld is created for you when you start a new campaign, and from there you set out to explore and conquer it, one Dungeonmans after another.

Dungeonmans is a 2D Dungeon Crawler, where you explore, fight beasts, take their stuff and get stronger in order to fight better beasts, take their better stuff, and get stronger. :black101:

Dungeonmans is a Roguelike which means that combat is turn-based, tactical, and difficult. Monsters only act when you do, meaning you have time to think about every move you make and plan accordingly. Mistakes are often punished mercilessly, and you can get yourself killed easily. Death is permanent, when your hero dies you'll have to start a fresh graduate from...

The Dungeonmans Academy is your home base, an ever-growing bastion of knowledge and learning that sends hero after hero out into the wilds to go die in a dungeon. While out adventuring you'll find lost knowledge, stolen equipment, or other artifacts that can be used to expand the Academy. This results in benefits for your future graduates: heroes can start with potions and scrolls pre-identified, or get a bonus to their starting stats!

The Academy and the various facilities inside will evolve over time as you bring back resources.

Character development in Dungeonmans is handled by spending points in various Masteries fields of study that provide skills for your hero to use while slaughtering heaps of foes. Even the simple fighter, sword and board in hand, can make area attacks, dashes, and do plenty more than just stand still and trade blows with enemies.

You're free to pick from any and all of them, but here's a run down of the core Masteries:

Sword and Board Classic and heroic! Crush with one hand, block with the other, couldn't be easier. Designed to keep your defense high and beat down foes one at a time.
  • High Guard: Hunker down for a few rounds to raise your chance to block and maybe throw out a counter attack!
  • Shield Rush: Charge forward up to 5 tiles and smack into an enemy. That foe and everyone nearby is addled for two rounds, meaning they can't use any abilities. Great for chasing down spellcasters.
  • One Stood Against Many: Shout a mighty battle cry that strips buffs off enemies and gives you combat bonuses based on how surrounded you are.
  • Furious Assault: Make 5 melee attacks against a single enemy, pushing them backwards with every blow. Keep the heat on your target while getting out of the crowd.

Legendary Armsman A two handed weapon, weilded by a titan of stremf. Legendary Armsmen have powerful, sweeping attacks but little in the way of defense.
  • Press The Attack: Move forward one step and make a slashing bleed attack at the three tiles in front of you. A great gap closer, and the dots help bring down fleeing enemies.
  • Crowd Control: Sweep in front of you and knockback your enemies. Good for when you need some breathing room and just want to get the chumps out of your way.
  • Storm Driver: Leap into (or out of!) danger and make a 360 degree attack with your weapon of choice.
  • Wheel of Pain: You're so mighty you just ambiently slash and crush everything around you, no matter what other actions you take that turn. Drinks up lots of stamina but it helps when you need to clear a room fast.

Iron Marksman A single target hunting machine. Bring down fire and thunder from a distance, after all you graduated top of your class in the Dungeonmans Academy and have participated in numerous secret raids on the Scrobold Warrens with over 9000 confirmed kills.
  • Shellbreaker Shot: A high power missile that cracks enemy armor and makes your future shots count more.
  • Power Drive: An arrow fuled by magic that can't miss and scales with your level. Great for quick, dodging enemies or jerks with big shields.
  • Venomizer: Four rapid fire poison arrows that fill the enemy with deadly toxin. Most regular enemies are doomed after the first application.

Skirmish Archer Keep on your toes, round up the baddies, and lay waste to them in groups. You won't have the individual punch of Iron Marksman powers... so take them both and weave them together into an awesome arrows ballet.
  • Ranger's Focus: Your first shot in a battle deals extra damage. This power resets after going three rounds without shooting.
  • Stick and Move: Jump up to three tiles away and automatically fire a shot at the nearest bad guy. Great for getting out of trouble!
  • Many Feathers Shooting Stance: While in this stance your shots generate two arrows, one of which picks a nearby secondary target. Right now this secondary target might even be out of LOS, so exploit away!
  • Drink the Typhoon: Launch three quivers worth of arrows at a large group of enemies. Just keep shooting, they deserve it.

Foominology Magic dedicated to blowing things up and burning them down.
  • Lava Lance: Focused blast of foom four tiles long that also knocks enemies backwards. Keep them out of your face!
  • Cinderfist: A solid, damning punch from a fist made of lava. Powerful, but requires you to get in close.
  • Foomsplosion: Let loose a wild frenzy of foombolts and see who remains when the ash settles.

Cryoscience The study of making things really, genuinely cold. Provides both defense and offense in equal measure.
  • Conjure Ice Block: Fill up one tile with ice, great for sealing doors and creating obstacles to prevent the baddies from swarming you.
  • Rhombus of Rime: A blast of superchilled Foom in an area defined by four lines of equal length. Might also freeze enemies in place.
  • Coldnado: Stand at the center of a whirling, freezing storm that damages enemies every round. Feel free to drink potions or launch more fireballs while you're at it!

Tricksonometry Chicanery and legerdemain used to keep the caster safe and the enemy confused.
  • Hero Cloud: Surround yourself with delightful illusions that cause enemy attacks to miss. Best when facing down one foe, as crowds will pick it apart easily.
  • Decoymans: A completely convincing decoy that enemies love to hate! Buy yourself some time to run, or position yourself for even more attacks.
  • Vanish: You become the color of water: invisible. This and Decoymans should ensure that no one ever gets a hold of you. Right?

A terrible pair of Masteries, strictly forbidden by the Academy! No one would dare teach this sort of terribleness and so the class is locked. Locked!

Deadcrafting The dark science of building horrible dead things and filling them with dread unlife. Gross!
  • Raise a Mostly: The most junior of conjurings, you'll put together a lackluster collection of random parts that will try really hard to keep you safe, mostly.
  • Build Gravemooks: Actual conjurings from a real professional. Skeletons who spring forth from grossness to fight by your side, and scale with your level.
  • Freeze Hatred: Take all that grimdark Necromanser angst and freeze it into the form of a mighty golem... the only creature who understands the real you.

Necronomics A completely safe and reliable science concerning that most liquid of investment currencies: blood.
  • Redistribution of Health: Draw health from nearby enemies and give it to you. What a simple transaction! Works extra well on the Undead, so use it around a whole crowd of them, all the time.
  • Blood Futures: Take a big chunk of damage now, recover a greater amount over the next ten rounds. Requires you to keep collecting Deadpulses, so hustle!
  • Volatile Liquidity: A nasty poison on a single enemy that melts them away. When they finally do die, they explode, damaging their allies and creating a gross new Mostly under your control.

Music by Andrew Aversa aka zircon. The man is a beast, and channeling his inner Sakimoto to create an awesome Final Fantasy Tacticsesque soundtrack that fits with the style of the game.

https://soundcloud.com/zircon-1/academy-theme-dungeonmans-ost
https://soundcloud.com/zircon-1/overworld-battle-theme
http://zirconmusic.com/

Watch some video! During last year's Kickstarter a quartet of streamers participated in a live race to see who could get to level 10 first! Skip around a bit in the stream to see some monster crushing action.

http://www.twitch.tv/thefatwizard/c/2527317
http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr/b/425857095

Danger! Dungeonmans can make you very sad (warning: full wizard regalia ahead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tvKVJTl3I

Geokinesis posted:

Also nearly got murdered by a massive red bee, I was overconfident as I'd been slaughtering a lot of different bees (including some wearing berets) then it used used a very powerful fire distance attack and I had to run away to dungeonmans another day but I will be back to complete the Peak of Violence!

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grayrobot
Jul 20, 2002

colour malfunction
CAPITAL! This is completely awesome. MadJackMcMad has delivered to us the invitation to the polygamous marriage of pain, humility and glory.

I didn't even know they were dating!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm Axemans and I approve this game. Looking good, glad to see you moving forward with it.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I've been really interested in Dungeonmans since you started talking about it ages ago in the Roguelike thread. Liked the demo (even if I never did figure out how to sell items) and I can't wait to see more of this game. I really like the way it plays and I hope there will be a whole bunch of different skillsets and abilities come launch.

Glad to see the Kickstarter is growing too. I'll have to finally back a project :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

This looks really cool and I would be ecstatic to check it out!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I've been following the development in the roguelike thread and played a bit of the game a couple of times (although I suck at it), and can say it looks like it's been coming along really well.

Pledged!

Any chance we can get an explanation on why the shipping prices are all over the place? Or a preview of what the deck of cards looks like? I've been thinking about upping my pledge.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Yo. I've never contributed a Kickstarter campaign before (in fact, I've never even pre-ordered a game except in 1st grade when my mom pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country for me), but Dr. madjackmcmad* has a game here that I am really, really excited for. Dungeonmans, I think, combines gameplay elements from ToME4 (a persistent overworld and tactical fighting), the visual and written sense of humor in games like Dungeons of Dredmor, and a soundtrack makes you feel like you're playing Final Fantasy Tactics, all for so L-I-T-T-L-E M-O-N-E-Y that you might as well support it. Also consider that the creator has been working on this game for some time already, and has provided a substantial demo--so if the sick gameplay videos and music samples aren't enough for you, give the test build a run and spend a few hours crushing some scrobolds and bee knights.

*madjackmcmad received his Doctor of Philosophy in Sick Gameology from Roguelike University in 2009. His dissertation, "Thirteen Ways of Hilariously Crushing Trash Mobs" was expanded and published by Oxford University Press in 2011.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Any chance we can get an explanation on why the shipping prices are all over the place? Or a preview of what the deck of cards looks like? I've been thinking about upping my pledge.

Ha! Shipping is cheaper for the 150 tier because I entered the wrong amount, but I'll stand by it. I'm generally terrified of eating the sheets when it comes to the cost of physical goods. I think the deck of cards and the book will be unique and very cool for people who dig on Dungeonmans, which is kind of why I skipped doing posters or t-shirts, they just didn't seem like they mattered.

I'll have some sample card images when they are ready, might be a week or so. The idea is that they're something an adventuring Dungeonmans studies by the campfire, so he can tell a Paingolin from a Dungeon Crab-Rat by silhouette alone and will be ready to spring to action. Players can keep them by the keyboard and look up monsters (and special items) as they encounter them. It's a little gimmicky, but such is the way of physical rewards!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm getting a sort of modernized Castle Of The Winds vibe here, with a bit more overt humor and a bit less unintentional humor.

Splendid! I totally dig it.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh cool, a thread for this, was keeping an eye on it but forgot about it. And a demo? Downloading. :allears:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'm already anxious to see the Southern Gentleman become available.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
How did you get Andrew Aversa to do the soundtrack for you? He probably is my favorite modern musical artist and that alone makes it worth the price of admission for me.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Keru posted:

I'm already anxious to see the Southern Gentleman become available.
Awesome! Do tell, what would you like to see in it?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

How did you get Andrew Aversa to do the soundtrack for you? He probably is my favorite modern musical artist and that alone makes it worth the price of admission for me.

Well the first guy I had lined up to do music had to decline, and recommended me to Andrew. My reaction was probably the same as yours "What? No fuckin' way!" because I've been a fan of OCR basically forever and I very much like his stuff. We clicked near immediately though, just super similar ideas as to what Dungeonmans should sound like and what the music could do for the game, as well as just really liking dungeon crawlers. In a double dose of magic serendipity, I had to move across the country in February and ended up living not half an hour from him. He's as cool as you could hope for and collaboration has been wonderful.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
After murderlizing not-kobolds all day I went prancing around in a more difficult dungeon and found some cool loot, then I guess a magician blew me up and I died. Losing is fun :( :unsmith:

Is there a way to add custom character icons in this? The selection is kind of sparse.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently Paradox is looking to publish a Roguelike:

https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/354234478954151941

Might want to try getting in touch with them...

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I saw this on Steam Greenlight a while back. Looks interesting, can't wait to check it out when I get home from work. And that's a great kickstarter video.

VVV No mod support gets a double thumbs up definite kickstart vote for me.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 8, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

nftyw posted:

Is there a way to add custom character icons in this? The selection is kind of sparse.

I don't want to support modding for Dungeonmans, buuuuuuut man everyone wants to put hero sprites in. Given what's going on right now I can't say it is a priority, but I want to be able to make people smile when they see their own hero crushing monsters.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently Paradox is looking to publish a Roguelike:

I didn't know that, thank you!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is a great game. I've backed it and encourage everyone to do the same.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I posted about this in the Kickstarter thread a bit ago but I think it wasn't noticed much in between all the talk of DoubleFine. I didn't know you were a goon. That's neato.

Also yeah I'm totally stoked you got zircon for the music. Do you know how many tracks are going to make up the soundtrack? I'm seriously considering the soundtrack pledge.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Chmining in to say how fun this game is even in alpha.

(Also to continue from what madjackmcmad quoted in the OP: I died, beaten by a fancy skeleton.)

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Got to level five and died, loads of fun so far.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I just wanted to say I loved all the Necronomics jokes and look foward to more :allears:

Seriously this game has some pretty good humor so far, looking foward to it!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Going to try this, being a big fan of roguelikes and all.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I'm getting ready to release version 1.06 to the wild, any of you guys think you can bang on it for a little bit to make sure I didn't poo poo the bed with one of my changes?

http://www.dungeonmans.com/dungeonmans106.zip

There are some non-documented changes, this is the first time I'm trying that out, specifically adding gameplay elements that are going to be a surprise. Maybe that's a bad idea? Roguelikes!

code:

* Crashes related to save game reading and audio loading should be fixed. Save games are now stored in your User/AppData/Roaming folder
* Crashes involving the Necromanser have been fixed.
* The Dread Spire will no longer teleport you shamefully back to the Convenient Scrobold Warren.
* Legend Lore correctly identifies every item you pick up.

New Options!

* You can lock the camera on Dungeonmans from the options menu.
* You can also toggle the display of small Health Bars over the monster's heads.
* Holding SHIFT will allow you to move diagonally with the arrow keys. Small icons appear in game to help you remember which key moves you where.
* You can rest with the Period key!
* You may LOCK items in your inventory to prevent them from being part of the mass-sale option. Do this with the Rest key, or Right Bracket.

Trivial Dungeons

* Attempting to enter a dungeon that is Trivial will provoke a warning, giving you a chance to change your mind. Trivial dungeons have no loot and no experience, don't go in them!

New Monsters and Behaviors

* The Razor-Jawed Jibbasnap, Winged Windsnake, and Crimson Bloodslime have joined the fight!
* Enemy casters have new tricks to get you out of safety and keep their allies up in your grill.
* Watch for enemies who warn their allies about your cheap, OP, Rangermans tactics...

Mysterious Treasures!

* They are mysterious.

Balance

* Increased monster health and damage from level 6 onward.
* Added a new curse! 
* Added new weapon modifiers to Tier 2 and 3 weapons. Better versions of the elemental effects, as well as some entirely new effects.

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 9, 2013

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Played a bit again for the first time since the initial playtest early June and it seems a lot has improved, good job :) Sent some feedbacks but the biggest issue is still not having the camera center on the player well enough, I can get as close as 4 rows from the top of the screen which is absurdly bad, especially given the lack of ability to manually move the view. Otherwise keep it up, hope you meet your Kickstarter goal, will love to see the game improve.

EDIT: oh poo poo update, well I'll try it after dinner, seems you've already taken care of most of my feedbacks!

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 9, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I've lost four five characters in one of the dungeons already. Enemies go from doing 20 damage on a good hit to well over half your life pretty fast in this.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 9, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm getting ready to release version 1.06 to the wild, any of you guys think you can bang on it for a little bit to make sure I didn't poo poo the bed with one of my changes?

http://www.dungeonmans.com/dungeonmans106.zip

There are some non-documented changes, this is the first time I'm trying that out, specifically adding gameplay elements that are going to be a surprise. Maybe that's a bad idea? Roguelikes!

Trying to run Dungeonmans 1.06 leads to straight up crashes so all I see is your new crash report form, no idea why as obviously I was able to play the previous release.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Trying to run Dungeonmans 1.06 leads to straight up crashes so all I see is your new crash report form, no idea why as obviously I was able to play the previous release.

Yeah, was just about to report the same thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm not too sure if it would be infringing on the Fighterman's territory too much, but since the Southern Gentleman's flavor stuff talks about the harsh climates and stuff of the Southern areas, could there be some sort of Berserker class called a Southernzerker or something of the sort? :allears:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, was just about to report the same thing.

Ok, the crash report works! Check!

Try again, I uploaded a new build. One of the big and dangerous bug fixes for 1.06 is my attempt to save the games in the proper place. The users\name\appdata\roaming\ folder. Before, the save games were just going into the folder you ran the game in. That works great for lots of people, but other people are getting the business from their antivirus software. The AV software scans the files saved for world and dungeon maps, which causes crashes when players try to open them.

Should be good now. Thanks for your patience!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely one of the rising stars from the Roguelike thread, and certainly a refreshing breath of fresh air!

Is the aim for the eventual variety of Mans to spiral blissfully out of control to the point that is the sweet doomed embrace of a scroll bar, or do you have a rather concrete assortment in mind with the particulars still being food for thought? If you lock it down, please spend excess time in dev hell just to give them an awesome Bitmap Brothers Soldiers of Fortune intro/profile sequence---just because and we all want that fated remix from your talented musical goon.

Beyond goodies strewn about the world, it is the potential for different Mans and fodder for the machine that is the Dungeonmans 5 point'ers that holds extra appeal.

Also, can we get some kinda Used Salesmans aspect going for shopping? It'd be a nice way to still have a line on your old finds while not cluttering up the Shiny and the New from proper vendors.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Rolled some mans, started a rangermanslady, kicked over my second dungeon. Oh god, where did the last 3 hours go.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can say that Rangermans are the best mans. Many Feathers + Stick & Move is awesome.

One thing I noticed, though (and I don't know if this was fixed in the new build) is that when you clear a road battle, it's not marked as "completed" on your map.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm getting a sort of modernized Castle Of The Winds vibe with a bit more overt humor and a bit less unintentional humor.

Splendid! I totally dig it.

I thought this exact same thing, and I loved Castle of the Winds. If this is like a better, modern version of that i'm all over it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I do like the mechanic of "do I use books for skill points, or return them to the base to level it up." Maybe there could be an equivalent for boosting your base stats - do you make this run stronger, or do you take it home to make all you future runs a little better? It gives you the decision of choosing whether this run is going to be one where you're going for a win or not.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I would definitely like to try this, but 1.06 is crashing every time I try to run it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

I would definitely like to try this, but 1.06 is crashing every time I try to run it.

The first version of the build I put up was bad, but I have since corrected it. I just saw a 1.06 crash on launch come in, so I'm guessing that's you. I'm on it!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

The first version of the build I put up was bad, but I have since corrected it. I just saw a 1.06 crash on launch come in, so I'm guessing that's you. I'm on it!

Yeah, that'd be me. Let me know if you need me to crash it any more.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

madjackmcmad posted:

* Holding SHIFT will allow you to move diagonally with the arrow keys. Small icons appear in game to help you remember which key moves you where.

This. Holy poo poo this. It's such a simple thing, but it's almost always overlooked. For people without numpads on their keyboards (laptops), this is a godsend. Never, ever change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The "this dungeon is trivial" warning seems to only check if the first level of the dungeon is trivial, even if the second and beyond would be equal or higher than your mans. this especially seems to be true of undead areas, where the graveyard you have to fight through to get to the tomb itself is *much* easier.

Will future masteries be unlock only the way necro is?

• Locked thread