Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
It seems like whenever I use Shellbreaker shot on my Rangermans the game goes crazy and breaks in exciting ways. Sometimes the screen just shakes, forever. Sometimes the game locks up (sometimes permanently, sometimes only until I hit escape or something).

Also, is there any auto explore button?

Also also, can space do the same thing as enter instead of being pause? I keep trying to use it to kill things and do stuff and the menu pops up. Or is there an option to rebind controls anyhwere?

And yeah, 1.06 doesn't work for me at all, 1.05 seems to though.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Awesome! Do tell, what would you like to see in it?

Has to carry a mint julip in a highball glass and be dressed like Tom Wolfe.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This looked really appealing to me on Greenlight, so of course I will chip in for the kickstarter. Downloading the demo now.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
Demo was great, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Definitely needs some form of auto-explore with the size of the dungeons, although that might be tricky with the way enemies seem to spawn. The idea of the trivial dungeon check is fine, but implementation seems weird: after beating one non-crobold dungeon the next 6 dungeons in a row were "trivial" and the first one I could find to enter was way over my head. Don't know if you want to add light level scaling to the dungeons (2-3 levels, nothing drastic) or just tone down the number of starter dungeons you generate, or both.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

whateverfor posted:

Demo was great, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Definitely needs some form of auto-explore with the size of the dungeons, although that might be tricky with the way enemies seem to spawn. The idea of the trivial dungeon check is fine, but implementation seems weird: after beating one non-crobold dungeon the next 6 dungeons in a row were "trivial" and the first one I could find to enter was way over my head. Don't know if you want to add light level scaling to the dungeons (2-3 levels, nothing drastic) or just tone down the number of starter dungeons you generate, or both.

Like the other poster said, I think its just checking the first level. I was deep in one getting loots and when I left and came back I got the trivial warning.

Also auto target cursor bugs out sometimes, and will target monsters in the fog of war and even display their stats there.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Like the other poster said, I think its just checking the first level. I was deep in one getting loots and when I left and came back I got the trivial warning.

Also auto target cursor bugs out sometimes, and will target monsters in the fog of war and even display their stats there.

That doesn't seem to be a bug as much as the camera doesn't go as far up and down as it does left and right. With starting ranger skills you can fire 10 tiles away, but you can only see ..... 6? I think? To the north and south at least. It is much better now that the camera can stick to the hero, at least, so you don't end up smushed against the north or south of the screen only able to see a couple tiles away while things happily shoot you from off-screen.

I mean, they still do that, you can just see a little farther. I'm sure the dev will fix the sight range shenanigans, they just implemented camera locking a few hours ago.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This looks very cool, and I'm a sucker for new roguelikes, especially ones with a bit of constant progression thrown in. Threw a little donation your way.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I backed this game because it has Gelatinous Cubes in it. I love those things.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I had a perfectly good fightermans who I had successfully changed into a two handed blendermans that mauled the gently caress out of everything and suddenly in a doable dungeon this asshat called Dead Eye pops up and hits for 30 damage a turn. ranged. :mad:

He still had stremf to return to the academy. :(

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Rangers seem to be far and away the best class right now with the best range, decent damage, great mobility and even area effect attacks. Even better, there is no cost at all for basic shots (which is all you need for most fights since you can shoot anything you can see).

So I just found out that the new "trivial dungeon" system includes your character complaining about how bored they are if you are slogging through trash. Made me laugh! Perhaps the trivial system needs to check the last floor of a dungeon instead of the first floor before warning you, though.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The game seems to struggle whenever you go into a new area. That is when most of the weird things people are reporting, like locking up or the screen shaking forever, seem to occur. I found that you can simply wait it out, perhaps the game is still creating the area or saving? Once it calms down play can continue as usual, but it can take several minutes. It doesn't tell you this or give you a load screen though, so if you start fighting right away you are likely to make the game throw a tantrum.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Carnalfex posted:

The game seems to struggle whenever you go into a new area. That is when most of the weird things people are reporting, like locking up or the screen shaking forever, seem to occur. I found that you can simply wait it out, perhaps the game is still creating the area or saving? Once it calms down play can continue as usual, but it can take several minutes. It doesn't tell you this or give you a load screen though, so if you start fighting right away you are likely to make the game throw a tantrum.

I can't get this to happen on any machine I've got, but I've heard it from multiple people. The loading and saving should be done as soon as the screen fades in, the area generation is usually very quick. It's an obnoxious bug and I need to find an answer.

New build of 1.06 us up
http://www.dungeonmans.com/dungeonmans106.zip

This has a fix for the dual weapon crash, crimson bloodslime crash, and should finally (?) fix the crash some people were having when they loaded the game for the first time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really love the tileset that the game utilizes. It's fun, vibrant, and colorful.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Mindblast posted:

I had a perfectly good fightermans who I had successfully changed into a two handed blendermans that mauled the gently caress out of everything and suddenly in a doable dungeon this asshat called Dead Eye pops up and hits for 30 damage a turn. ranged. :mad:

He still had stremf to return to the academy. :(

An Ignore Laughable Projectiles scroll would have come in handy! Also, in the build I just put, I fixed Razor Fury which wasn't working as intended at all. It's way stronger now.

When a hero dies, I should see to it that he drops whatever Proofs he was carrying too.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Not to ruin anyone's fun, but one thing I noticed is that the Cryostorm (or whatever it's called) mage effect goes through walls. This can trivialize the indoors dungeons, to some extent, by brushing up against the walls of the room you're about to enter.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

madjackmcmad posted:

An Ignore Laughable Projectiles scroll would have come in handy! Also, in the build I just put, I fixed Razor Fury which wasn't working as intended at all. It's way stronger now.

When a hero dies, I should see to it that he drops whatever Proofs he was carrying too.

Yeah I need to start identifying scrolls so I know what they do and don't accidentally set myself on fire. I'm still taken aback by the last mystery scroll I read; it stole my drat shoes!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Mindblast posted:

Yeah I need to start identifying scrolls so I know what they do and don't accidentally set myself on fire. I'm still taken aback by the last mystery scroll I read; it stole my drat shoes!

That one is hilarious, because what it actually does is trade your shoes for a random item that drops on the floor nearby you.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

If this is you

code:
C:\Users\Brian\Desktop\
Could you send me a PM, or an email? Thanks!

grayrobot
Jul 20, 2002

colour malfunction

madjackmcmad posted:

If this is you

code:
C:\Users\Brian\Desktop\
Could you send me a PM, or an email? Thanks!

What, this link didn't work for you?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

grayrobot posted:

What, this link didn't work for you?

hah awesome. No, someone is running Dungeonmans right from their desktop and getting an audio crash on startup. I need like three more machines and some extra hands here. I should consider running a kickstarter.

code:
1.06 | Crash on start.
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Brian\Desktop\Content\Audio\dmans2013audio.xgs'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
Did the file get corrupted? Are they trying to run it right from the .zip? Did they just delete their Content directory for kicks? :iiam:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
drat. Undead colonels are tough assholes. Lost my level 7 rangerman to one. :( That haste they get and then hitting twice for 20 damage a pop means I'm running out of stamina before I can take them down.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

madjackmcmad posted:

I don't want to support modding for Dungeonmans, buuuuuuut man everyone wants to put hero sprites in. Given what's going on right now I can't say it is a priority, but I want to be able to make people smile when they see their own hero crushing monsters.

$4.99 randomized dungeonman hero pack DLC :v:

Hello! I'm the other goon in the op :P
I've had the distinct pleasure of doing a TON of the art for Dungeonmans - back even before it was a "for-real" project. This has easily been one of, if not the best, project I've ever been involved in. as a special treat for the thread I was going to post some art that's not in the current build but that I'm super happy with.

I present - The Bravians!

The bravians are a strong, courageous and industrious race that hails from the wild deserts. A cross between Chocobos and Howard the Duck they fill in the "dwarfy" spot in the Dungeonman fantasy world. They take no poo poo from anyone else but have plenty of poo poo to shovel out! It was decided that even the townsie-ist townsperson should feel like they could leave town and go crunching by themselves.

I did a lot of looking at adobe houses to create the look of the houses. I wanted them to feel like even their houses were rough and tumble

Harlock posted:

I really love the tileset that the game utilizes. It's fun, vibrant, and colorful.
*dances*

Old Man Mozz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 10, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
New 1.06 runs fine :)

Some thoughts:

-Definitely fix the issue where sometimes the ranged autotarget doesn't autotarget anything. For that matter, as basic wizard zaps (and, I assume, ranger shots) don't do anything unless targeted at an enemy, I would suggest making the target automatically snap to other enemies when moved. Basically, right now, given this situation (@ is player, A and B are monsters, x's are targeting line):

code:
...A
...x
...x
B..@
if you hit the left arrow, it becomes

code:
..xA
..x.
...x
B..@
while I'm suggesting hitting left would result in

code:
...A
Bxx@
-The chests in the undead-themed areas block the view of what's underneath. The dropped items should show on top of the chest.

-Some kind of resolution control would be nice. on a 1366x768 screen, the top and bottom of the window are cut off, and resizing the window smaller just cuts off the bottom more.

-NPC's that can be spoken to should not be swappable by moving into them, and (if this is changed) they should never wander into a spot that blocks the way into and out of a building.

-I had a town spawn where one of the building's hedgewalls ran all the way off of the screen, so I couldn't get inside of the building.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Carnalfex posted:

Rangers seem to be far and away the best class right now with the best range, decent damage, great mobility and even area effect attacks. Even better, there is no cost at all for basic shots (which is all you need for most fights since you can shoot anything you can see).

So I just found out that the new "trivial dungeon" system includes your character complaining about how bored they are if you are slogging through trash. Made me laugh! Perhaps the trivial system needs to check the last floor of a dungeon instead of the first floor before warning you, though.

I doubt it. I mean I've only been a magic dude but wizards rule. coldnado deals around 100 damage to pretty much any enemy you can see by the first time you can cast it, and lasts forever.

my first dungeonman is a wizard and still hasn't died. vanish and coldnado basically means nothing can touch you

I mean christ. I've used one potion to counteract poison because I was very careless once. That's it. I've never used a potion or scroll for combat otherwise

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fighterpeoples can definitely hold their own for sure, or at least the 2-handing ones can. Wheel of Pain is insane when you truck right on up into a group of things.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Also, the AOE of coldnado extends to rooms you're not even in. it's disgusting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Echoing that this game is rad. I'm a sucker for roguelikes with nice aesthetics and simple controls.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I honestly recommend not playing a wizard dude. I am so incredibly overpowered that the game has become boring.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
This game is cool but is there any chance of an auto explore button? DCSS has spoiled me for every other roguelike.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
How long have you been working on the game?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what do you do if you've got a level 1 duder and no dungeons at an appropriate difficulty level to take on?

Also, I'm going to echo Infinimonkeys and recommend copying a great deal of DCSS's 'quality of life' features :v:

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
Are saves between 1.05b and 1.06 not compatible? I installed 1.06 over 1.05b and my hero and Academy were gone, although the files were still there. They were available again when I reverted back to 1.05b. I'm only Level 2 + one dead predecessor in, so it's not that painful to start over from scratch, but if you think this is a bug then I can send you my files.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tollymain posted:

So what do you do if you've got a level 1 duder and no dungeons at an appropriate difficulty level to take on?

Also, I'm going to echo Infinimonkeys and recommend copying a great deal of DCSS's 'quality of life' features :v:

I'm pretty sure the Scrobold Warren spawns really close to the academy every time, hence its convenient name.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Can I use my 1.5 save with 1.6?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm pretty sure the Scrobold Warren spawns really close to the academy every time, hence its convenient name.

What if I don't want to retread cleared dungeons?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I went in a "trivial" dungeon and got mobbed by ice-slinging skeletons and died in a few turns. That makes me wonder if the trivial dungeon mechanic is implemented correctly and in a well-balanced way.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Then you need to get explorin'. I've been tripping over dungeons still close to the Academy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tollymain posted:

That's why you bring back your proofs of stremf and books back to the academy! Just blow that stuff up yo.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I've really enjoyed a lot of the designchat that the dmans team has brought to the roguelike thread, so despite being a current mac user, i kicked in ten bucks for the kickstarter on the expectation that i'll have a windows box again someday. So it better be good I guess.

Along those lines I've been loving around trying to get .net 4.0 and xna 4.0 working in wine but haven't had any luck, if anybody has done so please let me know how!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does bringing books back to the Academy do other than make the library bigger and the librarian douchier?

• Locked thread