Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus warlords are definitely not trivial, even if the tower is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was wondering where all those places I was hearing rumors of were.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My wizard/necromancer has been alive for a week and is getting a bit stale at level 13. He has two items that can be stored at the blacksmith and I turned in ~120 proofs with him. I was doing summer reading and learned the level 3 cartography skill will reveal a location that can upgrade gear substantially using the start fragments I've been finding (7 so far), but it'll take quite awhile to get two more levels for that skill.

I have an idea of a new build I want to try that'll be more focused and get level 3 cartography to find this special area. With all that in consideration, I'm thinking about starting a new dude but I can't decide if it would be more beneficial to retire my current dude or go extreme adventuring and die. It's my understanding that regardless of how I end this dude, they will be available in the Academy to teach me a random skill tree. Thoughts?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you retire you have a couple more choices in that regard..

1. Becoming a professor is exactly like how an adventuremans that died horrendously out in the wilderness at level 10+ would be, except you would be using the living portrait.
2. You can become a tavernmans (with 30 purloined equipments) that will let you set up a new overworld location where that character will sell his inventory.
3. You can also become a wandermans and end up as a random encounter in the overworld, though i do not know what happens then.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's amazing and you should totally do it at least once. The unique encounter you get is pretty magical.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
These sprites are excellent. Would it be possible to get them included in the OP? I've got most of em downloaded, but just in case I miss any.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Donkringel posted:

These sprites are excellent. Would it be possible to get them included in the OP? I've got most of em downloaded, but just in case I miss any.

That's a really good idea. The OP is super out of date.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll get a few more street fighter sprites done for my psychomans addiction then I'll start drawing my own sprites again. :v:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finally ended my run at level 13. I started clearing legendary dungeons last night cause I found a crazy staff that did 190 dmg. I had to be careful but I was nuking most if the mobs. This morning I tried to enchant the rod and it broke. :(

I didn't realize there was a chance if destroying items.

So I sold his gear L, retired him, and started an archer/necromancer hybrid and it seems to be going well. My retired hero is teaching light armor! I was hoping for the necro skill line with mostly/mooks/hatred, but oh well. The shields from light armor and decent I suppose. With 100+ proofs out of the gate I was able to clear an adventurous dungeon without any stress. I think I'm going to track down a heroic dungeon and see how that goes.

What's with that Masters skill tab at the bottom of the skill tree list?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats for a discoverable bunch of skill trees. There's three I think? You get them from being very learned, maxing out certain combinations of skill trees.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Wildtortilla posted:

This morning I tried to enchant the rod and it broke. :(
Enchanting items is risk free unless you try using multiple hammers, but there are zero surprises there:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Enchanting items is risk free unless you try using multiple hammers, but there are zero surprises there:

I saw that too late. It's fine! I was getting burned out on using fire magic. If this archer turns out to be too similar I'll throw him under the bus and figure out melee.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What is the maximum prosperity that towns can get to? On my map my highest is 11. I've maxed out all the towns (i think) but by the flavor text I feel it can go higher. I don't want to reroll the map yet since I've hit cartography 3, and I'm about to beat the end game on my first dungeonmans, so I don't want to risk any unknowns.

Also what did the "Eager" enchant use to do? I see that it got hit with the nerf stick after last update. I'm assuming that it's gone completely?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Donkringel posted:

What is the maximum prosperity that towns can get to? On my map my highest is 11. I've maxed out all the towns (i think) but by the flavor text I feel it can go higher. I don't want to reroll the map yet since I've hit cartography 3, and I'm about to beat the end game on my first dungeonmans, so I don't want to risk any unknowns.

Also what did the "Eager" enchant use to do? I see that it got hit with the nerf stick after last update. I'm assuming that it's gone completely?

Eager was a buggy multistrike, it's out. Having your weapon hit more than once was the must-have enchant for every weapon, and there was nothing better than a Cosmic Eagerx7 weapon.

Max prosperity is... I don't think it's capped, but there's a soft cap in that shop tables only go so high. You can't prosperity a town into dropping 5 star weapons.

But maybe you should be able to? I would love to settle a town in the wilderness.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

madjackmcmad posted:

Eager was a buggy multistrike, it's out. Having your weapon hit more than once was the must-have enchant for every weapon, and there was nothing better than a Cosmic Eagerx7 weapon.

Max prosperity is... I don't think it's capped, but there's a soft cap in that shop tables only go so high. You can't prosperity a town into dropping 5 star weapons.

But maybe you should be able to? I would love to settle a town in the wilderness.

A special town way way out of the way with the most glittering of prizes for sale.

The mayor is a Boonie Baron.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How about a town populated entirely by Doom Talkers? Just a bunch of empty buildings, and beggars wandering around singing and dropping coins.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
A town run by DoomGuy from DoomRL.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does the pre-baconized pig not restock? I bought it once several dungeonmans ago and the guy hasnt restocked. :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I think you have to buy out their entire stock first before they will.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, alright.

Also I really wish you could alt, shift, ctrl to reach the other hotkeys. :v: I'm lazy!

edit: Ugh that didnt work, he's just become a generic store after I bought him out.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 27, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MOTHERFUCKING NURPH BAT NERFED MY FIST WHAT THE HELL

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay.

I really shouldnt use Redistribution of health around purple skeletons.
:negative:

And I'd completed 3 of the 4 corners of the crystal spire.
:cry:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Champion Nurph Bat.

why.

WHY.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Synthbuttrange posted:

Champion Nurph Bat.

why.

WHY.

I too would be irked.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also, fun side effect of the Gross! status that I got from an armor that's apparently made of faces is that the ragegolem summoning bandit wizards occasionally fall in love with me and follow me around. :gonk:

I've got a good handle on most of the skill trees, but the last tree in Southern Gentlemans completely baffles me. The first two are easy to use but the tantrum and irk draining status kind of makes it difficult? What exactly is the best way to use it?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also, fun side effect of the Gross! status that I got from an armor that's apparently made of faces is that the ragegolem summoning bandit wizards occasionally fall in love with me and follow me around. :gonk:

I've got a good handle on most of the skill trees, but the last tree in Southern Gentlemans completely baffles me. The first two are easy to use but the tantrum and irk draining status kind of makes it difficult? What exactly is the best way to use it?

The last line is my attempt to solve a personal problem where raging as a barbarian feels like any other roguelike ability. You set these buttons to maximum offense, through caution to the wind, + damage - armor, and then... you still take 5 minutes to plan each move. Which is great, because roguelikes, but it also felt like an opportunity to try something different.

You use it by getting in a good thick crowd of enemies, then you mash the buttons. Tearin' Around if you're not near someone, the other two if you are. rawaarararwar

Also I'm proud of the flavor text the first two Fire and Brimstone powers. You have to say them in Frank Underwood's voice.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hello friends I am sorry i haven't done any sprites for a long time, i got commissioned to do some pixel artwork and it has basically taught me that i can only really draw monsters i think of, drawing people is hard. also i've been busy with other stuff in life and generally lazy. I am still enjoying dungeonmans though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey my deathpulses get wiped out every time I resume a game. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey my deathpulses get wiped out every time I resume a game. :(

Mine too. I try to remember to stop by a graveyard every time I load the game for easy pulse acquisition.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I suck at this game, but man do I enjoy playing it from time to time when I have a roguelike itch. The only bad side is that my plays are far enough apart that I never remember anything. I started a new academy entirely and played a few Rangermans. Ran into a random champion that I overestimated on the first one, second one got chopped by the first Ancient King I ran into because I didn't know what it was. He knocked me down to 9hp with his first hit, and my most powerful strike did like 1/15th of his HP. Those guys are no joke, jesus.

Also ran into a portal to a "Super Awesome Monster Party" and elected not to go in, which gave me the "Smart Mans" achievement. I take it I'd have gotten ruinously destroyed if I went in there?

Oh, and is there a way to see what buffs/debuffs I've gotten from drinking wells? I have a bad habit of always eating the purple, and I don't always remember what changes my character has gotten from them. It doesn't seem to show up on the screen you get when you press C, or as an ability. I think I got one that said my character takes something like 20% more damage, which sounds... awful, but I don't remember if that was this character or last character.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

Also ran into a portal to a "Super Awesome Monster Party" and elected not to go in, which gave me the "Smart Mans" achievement. I take it I'd have gotten ruinously destroyed if I went in there?
Super awesome monster parties are fun, but only if you're confident in your skills. Otherwise you'll get mobbed and annihilated pretty quickly. IIRC there's a cheevo for reading a Xespera's Challenge scroll first thing on entering a monster party?

quote:

Oh, and is there a way to see what buffs/debuffs I've gotten from drinking wells? I have a bad habit of always eating the purple, and I don't always remember what changes my character has gotten from them. It doesn't seem to show up on the screen you get when you press C, or as an ability. I think I got one that said my character takes something like 20% more damage, which sounds... awful, but I don't remember if that was this character or last character.

Temporary buffs/debuffs should be listed directly above your little stat sheet in the bottom-right corner, and they'll also show up in the message log.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Temporary buffs/debuffs should be listed directly above your little stat sheet in the bottom-right corner, and they'll also show up in the message log.

Are the well things only temporary? I know the healing and poison are. The only buff I see above my character is "Focus", which I believe is my buff for being a Rangermans and having not fired my bow in the last three turns. I feel better knowing I won't permanently be taking 20% more damage (until I die horribly from it).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ancient Kings are to Champions as Champions are to regular monsters. They drop shards which are used for a special upgrade.

Super Awesome Monster Party has a fuckton of monsters in an arena area and one or two champions, but with 3 large chests at the end. Hall of Champions is the other version of this thing which has 4 champions and an ancient king all ready to pound you to mush.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Both are manageable if you too are a champion (hint: drink your potions before entering!) and have a decent array of skills.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I just got this a few days ago and it's definitely one of my favourite roguelikes. I played it when it was really early in development and I remember not liking it but it's really fun now.

I just lost a man to a level 15 champion I found in a secret room in a level 8 dungeon, which I was a little salty about. Then I started a new character and found that yes, you can have more than one ghost professor, and yes professors can teach master's programs like King of Battle :getin:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I've been busy as all get out, but I have an update for you guys. I'm working with Zircon on Tangledeep now effectively full time! We are both stoked about this and I even flew out to his place for a long weekend so we could kick off in style.

Dungeonmans is alive and still gets love, just much less time per week.

Details on all of this are in our two bro love steam posts:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/1438193702207689666

http://steamcommunity.com/games/628770/announcements/detail/1448326897421368642

Next dmans patch is likely next week, I fixed up a mess of bugs and some Line of Sight stuff too.

Dire Lemming posted:

I played it when it was really early in development and I remember not liking it but it's really fun now.
That rules, thank you. There's been a whole mess of updates over the last three years!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dire Lemming posted:

I just got this a few days ago and it's definitely one of my favourite roguelikes. I played it when it was really early in development and I remember not liking it but it's really fun now.

I just lost a man to a level 15 champion I found in a secret room in a level 8 dungeon, which I was a little salty about. Then I started a new character and found that yes, you can have more than one ghost professor, and yes professors can teach master's programs like King of Battle :getin:

Live professors are way more rare in my academy. I think 80% of the teaching staff are ghosts.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

madjackmcmad posted:

I've been busy as all get out, but I have an update for you guys. I'm working with Zircon on Tangledeep now effectively full time! We are both stoked about this and I even flew out to his place for a long weekend so we could kick off in style.

Dungeonmans is alive and still gets love, just much less time per week.

Details on all of this are in our two bro love steam posts:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/1438193702207689666

http://steamcommunity.com/games/628770/announcements/detail/1448326897421368642

Oh poo poo. This is fantastic. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of Tangledeep.

I mean, not that I wasn't before, but now I am twice as excited because of twice the ... program... guy.

Words are hard.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Full screen doesn't work so well as the resolution is insanely high and everything is tiny and hard to read and laggy. But windowed mode makes everything small and hard to read too. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Full screen doesn't work so well as the resolution is insanely high and everything is tiny and hard to read and laggy. But windowed mode makes everything small and hard to read too. What do I do?

Use a screen magnifier? In Windows, the Windows key and + turns on the magnifier (and Win-Esc disables it).

• Locked thread