Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

1) Good idea
2) Some are in the character sheet, all should be
3) I've been putting this off because I'm trying to think of a clean way to do it. You can always press S to see every power, cost, and cooldown rounds.

Realizing that S shows cost and cooldown helps a lot, thanks.

As for displaying it in the quickbar -- overlay it with the number of rounds left? Show the stamina cost in the corner, and have it change colour when it's increased? I don't think I've played another game with this mechanic, so I can't say offhand what's used elsewhere, and UI design isn't really a strength of mine.

quote:

I can show you over a thousand deaths from players jumped by ambushes in the wild :)

Do ambushes become non-optional at some point? So far every one I've gotten has given me a "fight y/n" prompt.

quote:

I guess I can't help you. I think I get what you're saying, which is "Because I have the ability, at any time, to fight my way back out of the dungeon, traverse the overworld to the Academy, and have the headmaster ID all my items for free, I shouldn't have to ID items at all." That's a perfectly valid opinion but I don't feel like it makes the Dungeonmans experience better on the whole.

If that's a mistake, I'll feel it, and lesson learned. It is the very best feeling to make development mistakes and be punished for them personally, as opposed to being on a team where choices are made 4-7 levels above me and no matter how much I disagree with them, it's me and my developer comrades who end up eating poo poo when the time comes.

What I'm actually saying is "since having this makes IDing items in the field largely superfluous, it should be something gradually unlocked and upgraded like the alchemy lab and library, rather than something automatically available as soon as the game starts"; I don't seem to be communicating very clearly today, for which I blame the baby and the cats. I don't know if that changes your assessment any.

Then again, the upgrades seem to go way faster than I expected anyways; I maxed out the alchemy lab after only three characters. I guess most of the upgrade depth is in the smithy and monster memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ToxicFrog posted:

Bug reports! Playing in Wine 1.7.

- The help text has some serious glitchiness:

- The description of Light Shield says "Surround yourself in a Science-based shield that absorbs [var1] points of damage before breaking. Blowout:, knock adjacent enemies backwards 3 squares." Pretty sure [var1] should be an actual number and the , after : shouldn't be there.
- If the game crashes during character creation, it becomes impossible to create a character with the name you entered before it crashed
I

Would you mind posting exactly what you did to get that installed and running?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ToxicFrog posted:

Do ambushes become non-optional at some point? So far every one I've gotten has given me a "fight y/n" prompt.

I got a non-optional ambush from spellcasters one time. I'm not sure if it's based on distance from the academy or danger level relative to your mans.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Would you mind posting exactly what you did to get that installed and running?

It's hard to say exactly, because it's in a wineprefix I use for all windows steam games on my laptop, not just Dungeonmans, so some steps may be unnecessary, and others may be things I did ages ago to get other games working and have now forgotten. This should get you pretty close, though.

- Install PlayOnLinux
- Install Steam (there's a script for it, just click Install and search for Steam)
- Install the latest Wine (tools->manage wine versions) and set Steam to use it (configure->wine version)
- Start Steam, log in, and install Dungeonmans
- Turn off the Steam Overlay for Dungeonmans, if you leave it on the game is extremely crashy
- Play!

If the game doesn't even give you the splash screen but just crashes instantly, force XNA to install (Configure->Install Components->xna40) -- Steam should handle this automatically, but it doesn't always work for some reason.

Once it's installed, it doesn't need Steam to be running, so you can create a direct shortcut (Configure->Make a New Shortcut) to dungeonmans.exe and play it without starting Steam.

I have found that switching workspaces when playing is extremely likely to crash it, even without the Steam overlay, so try to context switch only just after a save (which I think happens automatically on floor transitions?)

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Hi madjack, my game crashes on load - it's been like that for a week. Where can I find the savefile and where should I e-mail it to?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Happylisk posted:

Hi madjack, my game crashes on load - it's been like that for a week. Where can I find the savefile and where should I e-mail it to?

c:\users\(you)\appdata\roaming\Dungeonmans

send it to jim@dungeonmans.com

Sorry about this!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I must not understand how mastery programs work. am I just supposed to max out the required skill trees or is there an extra step? Doing the former has yielded nothing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
You just max out the required skill trees. I think there's a bug with the King of Battle mastery requirements, in that it says one thing but actually requires 3 points in Cartography. In theory as soon as you meet the requirements you should see a pop-up and get a free point in the first skill of the line.

Speaking of masters programs, I just completed the game with a Grimdark Grimmans! Starting from a Dungeonmans background was better, since I was able to invest only two points into summoning Mostlies and the rest of the points into getting Real Armor and 2H skills up and running.

The summoning branch of Necromansy is so good it's unbelievable. Mostlies and Skeletons act as really good distractions, and they continue to scale into the late game (I even got the skeletons to upgrade from discount skeletons into returned veterans and the like). The real star, of course, is the Hateglacier and its pal the Bloodrager, which are both permanent and endlessly durable.

Blood Futures and I Am Death Incinerator both suffered from constantly burning deathpulses to use -- not in that it was expensive or that I was lacking deathpulses, but rather even with the Deathpulse Defense buff I never felt I could spare the time to scoop them up in dangerous fights. I also never noticed the bonus damage from I Am Death Incinerator, but probably because at that point I was hitting things for over 200 damage and IaDI was adding maybe 10 fire and 10 cold to each attack (I did have ~27 points in Foom, but only 23 or so in Science -- maybe that's why).

There Is Only Winter also didn't feel that strong to me even fully charged. This is mostly the afore-mentioned "deathpulse collecting is dang annoying in the middle of a fight" less than the power, since it was dealing well over 200 damage (with splashes of bonus poison damage from my rings). The amount of mobility I had also made the ranged component not as valuable -- Press the Attack, Storm Driver, and Scoot And Shoot meant I could reposition myself at will and smack things around for hundreds of damage with Crowd Control without having to collect any deathpulses first.

And two bug reports -- deathpulses don't expire if you leave the level. Kind of marginal utility honestly, but it's there.

On a more serious note, Volatile Liquidity doesn't take a turn to use and doesn't use any deathpulses. Maybe as a result, it never dealt much damage, but it meant I could generate half-a-dozen Mostlies by tagging everyone in a room and blowing them up. Also, as far as I can tell, Mostlies generated by Volatile Liquidity seem to either not time out or have a much more generous timeout option.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That sounds awesome but GrimDark Grimmans just plain doesn't show up. Ever. It's annoying... It's the one I want too. To check, its all the two hander skill tree and necromanser summon tree, right?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It was both the summoning and the buff/debuff skill tree in Necromansy (necronomics?) as well as every 2H skill.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

You just max out the required skill trees. I think there's a bug with the King of Battle mastery requirements, in that it says one thing but actually requires 3 points in Cartography. In theory as soon as you meet the requirements you should see a pop-up and get a free point in the first skill of the line.

I didn't get the free skill point when I unlocked King of Battle. The tree unlocked fine though. But I died before I could put any points into it.

Are King of Battle and Grimdark Grimmans the only masters programs?

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014
Anyone got an idea what might've caused 200+ dmg upon killing the boss in the monster party at level 8? I saw fire and heard a bunch of bullshit but didn't have a chance to peep the text box.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SpruceZeus posted:

I didn't get the free skill point when I unlocked King of Battle. The tree unlocked fine though. But I died before I could put any points into it.

Are King of Battle and Grimdark Grimmans the only masters programs?

There's also Disintegral Calculus, which is unlocked with all three wizardly skillsets (IIRC).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ArgoATX posted:

Anyone got an idea what might've caused 200+ dmg upon killing the boss in the monster party at level 8? I saw fire and heard a bunch of bullshit but didn't have a chance to peep the text box.

Was the boss a mummy, by any chance? I killed a mummy and got the living poo poo blown out of me by something. I'm not entirely sure how much damage it was since I had Light Shield up, but it spammed out my entire log with text about ancient wounds or something, plus well over 300 damage.

Also, chalk me up as another victim of Starwarper Catastrophus. RIP, level 13 Wizard. The beam hit me for 697 damage. The dumbest thing is that I could've survived that if I hadn't gotten cocky. :(

korora
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Wine stuff

Just to add a second data point, I got Dungeonmans running in Wine on Mac yesterday and here's how:

0. Obviously install Wine if you don't have it.
1. Install Steam: Download the Windows SteamInstaller.exe, wine SteamInstaller.exe
2. Run Steam: wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe -no-dwrite (if you leave dwrite enabled no text shows up in Steam)
3. Install and launch Dungeonmans through Steam, go nuts. With Wine 1.6.2 I got a splash screen but never made it to the game, it seems to work fine using 1.7.33 though.

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014

Sundae posted:

Was the boss a mummy, by any chance? I killed a mummy and got the living poo poo blown out of me by something. I'm not entirely sure how much damage it was since I had Light Shield up, but it spammed out my entire log with text about ancient wounds or something, plus well over 300 damage.

Also, chalk me up as another victim of Starwarper Catastrophus. RIP, level 13 Wizard. The beam hit me for 697 damage. The dumbest thing is that I could've survived that if I hadn't gotten cocky. :(

Oooh, could've been! It was a caster sprite but had some kind of undead twist to it, I was too busy chugging champion potions and spamming my mostly to really get a look. There was definitely a poison cloud on the ground, is there a detonate effect associated with that?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Speaking of the text log, ignoring the direly needed post-death log, it would help the spam a lot if damage messages were consolidated. Right now a weapon with a bunch of damage types (or any attack really) spams the poo poo out of the log.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
Double-speaking of the text log: is there any way to scroll up to previous messages or page-up the log etc? When many multi-stacked weapon enchantments proc at once, or when Trigers or other many-actions-per-turn monsters start going ham, or when you just get surrounded by a cadre of captain-enhastened lizardmans, in those cases the log becomes a bit useless as far as discerning exactly what happened just now.

Also: the gold/silver/copper coin icons don't fade out in the log the way text does, which sometimes tricks me into thinking there's something in those squares.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Dungeonmans is XNA right?
Maybe of interest, the author of FNA is looking to port a commercial game to Mac/Linux and dungeonmans struck me as a good canditate: https://plus.google.com/+flibitijibibo/posts/Yo9R1m9BQdm

And is there a way to see your current resists without adding them up manually from the items?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
The 'c' key brings up your character sheet, which has detailed info on your resists and what they do for you, like you have 800 armor, this reduces physical damage from <level> monsters by <blah> percent and so on. I stumbled on it by accident one time and that info is not available anywhere else.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Of note on the keyboard, you need to move the cursor down to the stat in question - I didn't notice you could do that for quite awhile

Generally you need to get your fire/ice/poison resists up once you get into the mid game, or you risk sudden death from mages or necromancers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Speaking of the text log, ignoring the direly needed post-death log, it would help the spam a lot if damage messages were consolidated. Right now a weapon with a bunch of damage types (or any attack really) spams the poo poo out of the log.

Dredmor and ToME4 have the same problem. ToME especially, if you have a bunch of attacks or procs or buffs or whatever every damage type from each one of them generates its own message.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Woo! Finally beat this game, after many many tries and 11 deaths on this academy. Got far enough with the predecessor to bring back 4th level artifacts and got a two handed axe right out the gate. Snowballed from there.

The two handed skills are all pretty great, Crowd control is nice not just for the knockback, but also the guaranteed hit if you've got a shield user blocking your attacks. Storm diver is a great skill for both the movement and the 'clear out the chaff' ability. Wheel of Pain doesn't get used as much, but against high hp bosses turning that on can stack on the hits, and it's funny if you do it before you storm dive into the middle of a group.

The hate golems are both incredibly helpful. The one you get from the Grimmans tree just plows through all but the toughest of monsters, only being eventually brought down by attrition. Despite all that, having top tier gear (And ensuring that Freezinating is always on my bow) I pretty much could facetank the final boss, thanks to the HP vamp I had on my gear. Between Storm Diver and Stick And Move, I had all the movement I needed to dodge big attacks and chase down fleeing casters.

I also had over 60 in both Stremf and Skills though thanks to a few Xespara's Challenge scrolls :v:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Dredmor and ToME4 have the same problem. ToME especially, if you have a bunch of attacks or procs or buffs or whatever every damage type from each one of them generates its own message.

Dredmors issue is more the chat log being only 4 or so visible lines than damage types spamming it. It does truncate quite a bit as it gives total damage and an icon based breakdown after it with line wrapping if sufficiently long enough.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a fightermans with Real Armor but took Medium armor to get the dash. I have medium armor on...why can I not dash? its grayed out.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You need to have only medium armour on. Make sure you took off all your real armour.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Which is a shame, because I'd love to mix/match armor special abilities, but I understand.

edit: The passives work, though -- if you cheat the Infinite Library and get skill books to max out all the armor trees, you'll see that Reactive Linens and Bend like a Reed fire off when appropriate, even when decked out in heavy armor.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhh thats too bad. Well I DID only have medium armor on, and it was the leggings. Oh wel he died.

This game is really hard. I've died twice now in the beginner warren. Should I be clearing out the ENTIRE floor before going down? Does the dungeon change each time I die or is it the same once I enter it? And holy poo poo its hard to find healing in this game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Don't hesitate using potions you end up getting better versions and you end up with a ton anyway.

To the prior 2H comments, yes all the skills are great. Wheel of Pain is huge later on when you get swamped often. I would akways turn it on before entering monster portals or opening the challenge chests.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

palecur posted:

edit: The passives work, though -- if you cheat the Infinite Library and get skill books to max out all the armor trees, you'll see that Reactive Linens and Bend like a Reed fire off when appropriate, even when decked out in heavy armor.

Ooh, that one slipped by! Thanks.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

madjackmcmad posted:

Ooh, that one slipped by! Thanks.

You son of a bitch.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

This afternoon's update did, in fact, fix the black screen I was getting when launching the game in full-screen mode -- woo-hoo Science! -- but now it seems like monsters just don't interrupt my rest. I was yanked around and pummeled by a chain-banger, repeatedly speared by a scrobold, and peppered with arrows by some kind of archer I didn't see the name of in my panicky rush to hit a key that would interrupt resting. I'd never really had a problem with this before. Anyone else? It makes me a bit scared to play...

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

atholbrose posted:

This afternoon's update did, in fact, fix the black screen I was getting when launching the game in full-screen mode -- woo-hoo Science! -- but now it seems like monsters just don't interrupt my rest. I was yanked around and pummeled by a chain-banger, repeatedly speared by a scrobold, and peppered with arrows by some kind of archer I didn't see the name of in my panicky rush to hit a key that would interrupt resting. I'd never really had a problem with this before. Anyone else? It makes me a bit scared to play...

Oh come on seriously?

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

atholbrose posted:

Same here, was rather jarring!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Same here, was rather jarring!

Heyyyyy look who might have put the debug build in the buildy build folder and tested the buildy build in the argahrgahr sorry

Edit: New build is away!

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 7, 2015

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
So it looks like you can use Beckon Monster to full bees from the Hive of Savings out from behind their counter. Sometimes they'll immediately teleport back - sometimes they won't. This guy decided to stick around outside.

Interestingly, he sells different things when you talk to him than if you walk up to the counter where he used to be.

I wish I had one of those "Turn monsters into Champions within 5 tiles" scrolls, as I'm curious what that would do.

edit: Aaaaand I just pushed him over a portal. Good thing I can use Crowd Control again to get out, otherwise I'd be stuck forever.

Super edit: Much easier way is to just use Stick and Move behind the counters. Doubles the amount of items you can buy from each Hive of Savings. Neat!

jsr v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 7, 2015

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
So, how can I tell if I have a bugged Overworld? I've cleared the Mountain fortress but there doesn't seem to be a way into the bottom right corner of the map. There's also the issue of a Cathedral with a lost dungeonmans not spawning either the boss, the stairs, or the fallen dungeonmans in question. I don't know if they're related.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Another crash bug report, kind of a weird one. I've got it at about a 90% repro rate though.

Here's what I've got so far, but it can probably be narrowed down.

1) Get your Dungeonmans about 1 kill away from leveling up
2) Kill an adjacent enemy so that you level up
3) Move the mouse cursor over your Dungeonmans so that it shows the character info box
4) Wait

I'm crashing at this point about 90% of the time right now. The crash happens before the "LEVEL UP" effects disappear.

If you can't repro it, I have a save file that can repro the crash about 10 seconds after loading. Just let me know what files to send and to where and I can provide.

Edit: At this point, I'm just crashing when leveling up. The above steps might not be accurate at all, after all.

jsr v2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 7, 2015

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

jsr v2.0 posted:

Another crash bug report, kind of a weird one. I've got it at about a 90% repro rate though.

Here's what I've got so far, but it can probably be narrowed down.

1) Get your Dungeonmans about 1 kill away from leveling up
2) Kill an adjacent enemy so that you level up
3) Move the mouse cursor over your Dungeonmans so that it shows the character info box
4) Wait

I'm crashing at this point about 90% of the time right now. The crash happens before the "LEVEL UP" effects disappear.

If you can't repro it, I have a save file that can repro the crash about 10 seconds after loading. Just let me know what files to send and to where and I can provide.

Edit: At this point, I'm just crashing when leveling up. The above steps might not be accurate at all, after all.

Could you send in your crash report? That would be a big help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

madjackmcmad posted:

Could you send in your crash report? That would be a big help!

Where can I find it? I get the windows "DungeonMans has stopped working" prompt, and my only option is to Close Program.

• Locked thread