Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The "this dungeon is trivial" warning seems to only check if the first level of the dungeon is trivial, even if the second and beyond would be equal or higher than your mans. this especially seems to be true of undead areas, where the graveyard you have to fight through to get to the tomb itself is *much* easier.

Will future masteries be unlock only the way necro is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Like the other poster said, I think its just checking the first level. I was deep in one getting loots and when I left and came back I got the trivial warning.

Also auto target cursor bugs out sometimes, and will target monsters in the fog of war and even display their stats there.

That doesn't seem to be a bug as much as the camera doesn't go as far up and down as it does left and right. With starting ranger skills you can fire 10 tiles away, but you can only see ..... 6? I think? To the north and south at least. It is much better now that the camera can stick to the hero, at least, so you don't end up smushed against the north or south of the screen only able to see a couple tiles away while things happily shoot you from off-screen.

I mean, they still do that, you can just see a little farther. I'm sure the dev will fix the sight range shenanigans, they just implemented camera locking a few hours ago.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Rangers seem to be far and away the best class right now with the best range, decent damage, great mobility and even area effect attacks. Even better, there is no cost at all for basic shots (which is all you need for most fights since you can shoot anything you can see).

So I just found out that the new "trivial dungeon" system includes your character complaining about how bored they are if you are slogging through trash. Made me laugh! Perhaps the trivial system needs to check the last floor of a dungeon instead of the first floor before warning you, though.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The game seems to struggle whenever you go into a new area. That is when most of the weird things people are reporting, like locking up or the screen shaking forever, seem to occur. I found that you can simply wait it out, perhaps the game is still creating the area or saving? Once it calms down play can continue as usual, but it can take several minutes. It doesn't tell you this or give you a load screen though, so if you start fighting right away you are likely to make the game throw a tantrum.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Are the master's programs implemented, or are they locked? Or is that where necro shows up?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Maybe the description for advanced shield use should mention that you can't fire a bow with a large shield equipped so players don't find out about it after already spending points to get it? This sound silly and perhaps obvious, but the game has no problem letting you fire a bow with a regular shield.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Lack of autoexplore was the only thing stopping me from grabbing this immediately after seeing the summer preview. Game is looking better and better though!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Frankosity posted:

Dungeonmans really doesn't need it. The areas are all really tightly designed and there's almost no downtime outside of going to the stairs when you've cleared a level.

I'm not sure what has changed since the preview build, but in there the only thing that "reduced downtime" was that things respawned about as fast as you killed them, so you were constantly wading through waves of trash. That works for a game like diablo 3 when you can hold down a button and clear whole screens while mashing whatever mobility boost your class has to get to the next interesting fight, and still be able to react in real time when you see a threat. In a turn based game it means falling asleep on the movement key and then taking 50 hits in a row and insta-gibbing. Auto-explore is the cure to that.

On the plus side no animations on the sprites means you don't have to wait to move each tile or wait a year for all the attack animations when the screen is full of baddies. Dredmor did that and it could be a slog at times.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Just got this game and having a blast, but have a question. I tried dabbling in necro and each skill always completely empties my pool of pulses. Is it supposed to do this? It certainly doesn't sound that way from the in game tooltips. Mooks specifically says that it empties the whole pool, but everything else says it costs 1, 2, etc pulses.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Ah, I guess it is just that skill, you're right. Actually it also seems not to scale in duration with science, even though the tooltips for science and the skill itself say it should.

Is it just me or is summon mostly only useful for detonating mostlies gained by liquidity, and mooks somewhat pointless? The hateglacier seems pretty ok, but even that doesn't seem to scale well with levels/stats. Are pets supposed to inherit a % of stats from the player?

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 12, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Bug fixes are much appreciated! Hopefully the necro stuff will be fixed next.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Any plans for expansions now that the game is officially launched and mostly polished?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be happy to buy more content. Dungeons, items, skills, monsters, more stuff to do with the academy... tons of way to expand. Even cosmetic stuff would be cool. Music, animations, sprites, tilesets, overworld looks, you name it.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Patch is great! I noticed that transition doors to alcove/grottos in mountain forts are showing up as academy alchemy supplies from the outside or just plain invisible from the inside, but that might have always been the case. This is the first time I've played far enough to get to a mountain fort. I also noticed that necro enemies using poison gas clouds don't seem to do any damage. I chalked it up to being a tanky sword and board guy with decent resists but even a mostly spawned from a pool seemed to take no damage. The damage messages just say "takes vapor damage". Being able to throw out gas clouds would actually be a neat necro skill line, could be the start of a player poison skill line for necro. Could work like an offensive banner, damage and debuff an area.

Emong posted:

I would definitely pay to get access to those playable bird-men that were mentioned forever ago.

I found Jack mentioning some design ideas on the steam forums that were scrapped a while back due to time constraints that sounded really cool as well. A retirement option to instead turn evil and become a warlord so that you can fight your previous mans and get even greater rewards. Or accepting the undead's offer of unlife to become an Ungeonman, ruler of an undead army, to get dropkicked by a future academy graduate.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 7, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Anyone know what controls the damage on necro abilities? It doesn't seem to be affected by spellpower as wielding a staff with 100+ power doesn't seem to change liquidity's damage. Is it based only on science? Str?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Necro damage is kind of all over the map. I didn't want it to rely exclusively on Spellpower, because the idea of a Necromanser with melee weapons is very appealing to me. Right now, Volatile Liquidity ticks are based on your weapon damage with a bonus based on Science. All dots are increased with additional Science.

Ah...that explains why a wizard-necro was kind of crap I guess since staves don't actually have weapon damage, just spellpower?

Does redistribution of health work that way too?

The mostly explosion (and I assume deadpulse explosions?) seemed to work off foom though, since my attempt at a wizard necro would wreck anything that was next to a mostly when it popped. Or maybe that was just because it was low level trash.

That all makes sense, it just isn't readily apparent for a player. I never would have guessed a necro spell would be drastically less effective with a spellpower staff than a damage weapon.

Also yes those shark sprites look glorious. Going to grab any and all expansions you make for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Been loving the redone gentlemans stuff lately. Really fun to play. Wizard revamp looking slick.

• Locked thread