Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Dungeonmans is a--

Uncle Jam posted:

Dungeonmans is a fun game where you kill scrobolds and think about nothing else other than having fun. Then you die, and you go look at the fresh grave with your next character.

I'll allow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYMNvwqSvs

Dungeonmans can be purchased at the link below. Steam Early Access begins 28 May 2014, or you can jump into the Balpha right away.
http://www.dungeonmans.com/?p=362

The Dungeonmans Kickstarter was a great success! Goons were one of the top sources of contribution to the project. There wouldn't be Dungeonmans without you! :tipshat:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

Dungeonmans is a lighthearted 2D roguelike set in a persistent world of high adventure that grows and evolves as you play. Explore untamed wilds, delve the deepest dungeons, crush terrible and remorseless monsters, and roll around in piles of shiny loot. A new overworld is created for you when you start a new campaign, and from there you set out to explore and conquer it, one Dungeonmans after another.

Dungeonmans is a 2D Dungeon Crawler, where you explore, fight beasts, take their stuff and get stronger in order to fight better beasts, take their better stuff, and get stronger. :black101:

Dungeonmans is a Roguelike which means that combat is turn-based, tactical, and difficult. Monsters only act when you do, meaning you have time to think about every move you make and plan accordingly. Mistakes are often punished mercilessly, and you can get yourself killed easily. Death is permanent, when your hero dies you'll have to start a fresh graduate from...

The Dungeonmans Academy is your home base, an ever-growing bastion of knowledge and learning that sends hero after hero out into the wilds to go die in a dungeon. While out adventuring you'll find lost knowledge, stolen equipment, or other artifacts that can be used to expand the Academy. This results in benefits for your future graduates: heroes can start with potions and scrolls pre-identified, or get a bonus to their starting stats!

The Academy and the various facilities inside will evolve over time as you bring back resources.

Character development in Dungeonmans is handled by spending points in various Masteries fields of study that provide skills for your hero to use while slaughtering heaps of foes. Even the simple fighter, sword and board in hand, can make area attacks, dashes, and do plenty more than just stand still and trade blows with enemies.

You're free to pick from any and all of them, but here's a run down of the core Masteries:

Sword and Board Classic and heroic! Crush with one hand, block with the other, couldn't be easier. Designed to keep your defense high and beat down foes one at a time.
  • High Guard: Hunker down for a few rounds to raise your chance to block and maybe throw out a counter attack!
  • Shield Rush: Charge forward up to 5 tiles and smack into an enemy. That foe and everyone nearby is addled for two rounds, meaning they can't use any abilities. Great for chasing down spellcasters.
  • One Stood Against Many: Shout a mighty battle cry that strips buffs off enemies and gives you combat bonuses based on how surrounded you are.
  • Furious Assault: Make 5 melee attacks against a single enemy, pushing them backwards with every blow. Keep the heat on your target while getting out of the crowd.

Legendary Armsman A two handed weapon, weilded by a titan of stremf. Legendary Armsmen have powerful, sweeping attacks but little in the way of defense.
  • Press The Attack: Move forward one step and make a slashing bleed attack at the three tiles in front of you. A great gap closer, and the dots help bring down fleeing enemies.
  • Crowd Control: Sweep in front of you and knockback your enemies. Good for when you need some breathing room and just want to get the chumps out of your way.
  • Storm Driver: Leap into (or out of!) danger and make a 360 degree attack with your weapon of choice.
  • Wheel of Pain: You're so mighty you just ambiently slash and crush everything around you, no matter what other actions you take that turn. Drinks up lots of stamina but it helps when you need to clear a room fast.

Iron Marksman A single target hunting machine. Bring down fire and thunder from a distance, after all you graduated top of your class in the Dungeonmans Academy and have participated in numerous secret raids on the Scrobold Warrens with over 9000 confirmed kills.
  • Shellbreaker Shot: A high power missile that cracks enemy armor and makes your future shots count more.
  • Power Drive: An arrow fuled by magic that can't miss and scales with your level. Great for quick, dodging enemies or jerks with big shields.
  • Venomizer: Four rapid fire poison arrows that fill the enemy with deadly toxin. Most regular enemies are doomed after the first application.

Skirmish Archer Keep on your toes, round up the baddies, and lay waste to them in groups. You won't have the individual punch of Iron Marksman powers... so take them both and weave them together into an awesome arrows ballet.
  • Ranger's Focus: Your first shot in a battle deals extra damage. This power resets after going three rounds without shooting.
  • Stick and Move: Jump up to three tiles away and automatically fire a shot at the nearest bad guy. Great for getting out of trouble!
  • Many Feathers Shooting Stance: While in this stance your shots generate two arrows, one of which picks a nearby secondary target. Right now this secondary target might even be out of LOS, so exploit away!
  • Drink the Typhoon: Launch three quivers worth of arrows at a large group of enemies. Just keep shooting, they deserve it.

Foominology Magic dedicated to blowing things up and burning them down.
  • Lava Lance: Focused blast of foom four tiles long that also knocks enemies backwards. Keep them out of your face!
  • Cinderfist: A solid, damning punch from a fist made of lava. Powerful, but requires you to get in close.
  • Foomsplosion: Let loose a wild frenzy of foombolts and see who remains when the ash settles.

Cryoscience The study of making things really, genuinely cold. Provides both defense and offense in equal measure.
  • Conjure Ice Block: Fill up one tile with ice, great for sealing doors and creating obstacles to prevent the baddies from swarming you.
  • Rhombus of Rime: A blast of superchilled Foom in an area defined by four lines of equal length. Might also freeze enemies in place.
  • Coldnado: Stand at the center of a whirling, freezing storm that damages enemies every round. Feel free to drink potions or launch more fireballs while you're at it!

Tricksonometry Chicanery and legerdemain used to keep the caster safe and the enemy confused.
  • Hero Cloud: Surround yourself with delightful illusions that cause enemy attacks to miss. Best when facing down one foe, as crowds will pick it apart easily.
  • Decoymans: A completely convincing decoy that enemies love to hate! Buy yourself some time to run, or position yourself for even more attacks.
  • Vanish: You become the color of water: invisible. This and Decoymans should ensure that no one ever gets a hold of you. Right?

A terrible pair of Masteries, strictly forbidden by the Academy! No one would dare teach this sort of terribleness and so the class is locked. Locked!

Deadcrafting The dark science of building horrible dead things and filling them with dread unlife. Gross!
  • Raise a Mostly: The most junior of conjurings, you'll put together a lackluster collection of random parts that will try really hard to keep you safe, mostly.
  • Build Gravemooks: Actual conjurings from a real professional. Skeletons who spring forth from grossness to fight by your side, and scale with your level.
  • Freeze Hatred: Take all that grimdark Necromanser angst and freeze it into the form of a mighty golem... the only creature who understands the real you.

Necronomics A completely safe and reliable science concerning that most liquid of investment currencies: blood.
  • Redistribution of Health: Draw health from nearby enemies and give it to you. What a simple transaction! Works extra well on the Undead, so use it around a whole crowd of them, all the time.
  • Blood Futures: Take a big chunk of damage now, recover a greater amount over the next ten rounds. Requires you to keep collecting Deadpulses, so hustle!
  • Volatile Liquidity: A nasty poison on a single enemy that melts them away. When they finally do die, they explode, damaging their allies and creating a gross new Mostly under your control.

Music by Andrew Aversa aka zircon. The man is a beast, and channeling his inner Sakimoto to create an awesome Final Fantasy Tacticsesque soundtrack that fits with the style of the game.

https://soundcloud.com/zircon-1/academy-theme-dungeonmans-ost
https://soundcloud.com/zircon-1/overworld-battle-theme
http://zirconmusic.com/

Watch some video! During last year's Kickstarter a quartet of streamers participated in a live race to see who could get to level 10 first! Skip around a bit in the stream to see some monster crushing action.

http://www.twitch.tv/thefatwizard/c/2527317
http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr/b/425857095

Danger! Dungeonmans can make you very sad (warning: full wizard regalia ahead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tvKVJTl3I

Geokinesis posted:

Also nearly got murdered by a massive red bee, I was overconfident as I'd been slaughtering a lot of different bees (including some wearing berets) then it used used a very powerful fire distance attack and I had to run away to dungeonmans another day but I will be back to complete the Peak of Violence!

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Any chance we can get an explanation on why the shipping prices are all over the place? Or a preview of what the deck of cards looks like? I've been thinking about upping my pledge.

Ha! Shipping is cheaper for the 150 tier because I entered the wrong amount, but I'll stand by it. I'm generally terrified of eating the sheets when it comes to the cost of physical goods. I think the deck of cards and the book will be unique and very cool for people who dig on Dungeonmans, which is kind of why I skipped doing posters or t-shirts, they just didn't seem like they mattered.

I'll have some sample card images when they are ready, might be a week or so. The idea is that they're something an adventuring Dungeonmans studies by the campfire, so he can tell a Paingolin from a Dungeon Crab-Rat by silhouette alone and will be ready to spring to action. Players can keep them by the keyboard and look up monsters (and special items) as they encounter them. It's a little gimmicky, but such is the way of physical rewards!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Keru posted:

I'm already anxious to see the Southern Gentleman become available.
Awesome! Do tell, what would you like to see in it?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

How did you get Andrew Aversa to do the soundtrack for you? He probably is my favorite modern musical artist and that alone makes it worth the price of admission for me.

Well the first guy I had lined up to do music had to decline, and recommended me to Andrew. My reaction was probably the same as yours "What? No fuckin' way!" because I've been a fan of OCR basically forever and I very much like his stuff. We clicked near immediately though, just super similar ideas as to what Dungeonmans should sound like and what the music could do for the game, as well as just really liking dungeon crawlers. In a double dose of magic serendipity, I had to move across the country in February and ended up living not half an hour from him. He's as cool as you could hope for and collaboration has been wonderful.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

nftyw posted:

Is there a way to add custom character icons in this? The selection is kind of sparse.

I don't want to support modding for Dungeonmans, buuuuuuut man everyone wants to put hero sprites in. Given what's going on right now I can't say it is a priority, but I want to be able to make people smile when they see their own hero crushing monsters.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently Paradox is looking to publish a Roguelike:

I didn't know that, thank you!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I'm getting ready to release version 1.06 to the wild, any of you guys think you can bang on it for a little bit to make sure I didn't poo poo the bed with one of my changes?

http://www.dungeonmans.com/dungeonmans106.zip

There are some non-documented changes, this is the first time I'm trying that out, specifically adding gameplay elements that are going to be a surprise. Maybe that's a bad idea? Roguelikes!

code:

* Crashes related to save game reading and audio loading should be fixed. Save games are now stored in your User/AppData/Roaming folder
* Crashes involving the Necromanser have been fixed.
* The Dread Spire will no longer teleport you shamefully back to the Convenient Scrobold Warren.
* Legend Lore correctly identifies every item you pick up.

New Options!

* You can lock the camera on Dungeonmans from the options menu.
* You can also toggle the display of small Health Bars over the monster's heads.
* Holding SHIFT will allow you to move diagonally with the arrow keys. Small icons appear in game to help you remember which key moves you where.
* You can rest with the Period key!
* You may LOCK items in your inventory to prevent them from being part of the mass-sale option. Do this with the Rest key, or Right Bracket.

Trivial Dungeons

* Attempting to enter a dungeon that is Trivial will provoke a warning, giving you a chance to change your mind. Trivial dungeons have no loot and no experience, don't go in them!

New Monsters and Behaviors

* The Razor-Jawed Jibbasnap, Winged Windsnake, and Crimson Bloodslime have joined the fight!
* Enemy casters have new tricks to get you out of safety and keep their allies up in your grill.
* Watch for enemies who warn their allies about your cheap, OP, Rangermans tactics...

Mysterious Treasures!

* They are mysterious.

Balance

* Increased monster health and damage from level 6 onward.
* Added a new curse! 
* Added new weapon modifiers to Tier 2 and 3 weapons. Better versions of the elemental effects, as well as some entirely new effects.

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 9, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Trying to run Dungeonmans 1.06 leads to straight up crashes so all I see is your new crash report form, no idea why as obviously I was able to play the previous release.

Yeah, was just about to report the same thing.

Ok, the crash report works! Check!

Try again, I uploaded a new build. One of the big and dangerous bug fixes for 1.06 is my attempt to save the games in the proper place. The users\name\appdata\roaming\ folder. Before, the save games were just going into the folder you ran the game in. That works great for lots of people, but other people are getting the business from their antivirus software. The AV software scans the files saved for world and dungeon maps, which causes crashes when players try to open them.

Should be good now. Thanks for your patience!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

I would definitely like to try this, but 1.06 is crashing every time I try to run it.

The first version of the build I put up was bad, but I have since corrected it. I just saw a 1.06 crash on launch come in, so I'm guessing that's you. I'm on it!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Carnalfex posted:

The game seems to struggle whenever you go into a new area. That is when most of the weird things people are reporting, like locking up or the screen shaking forever, seem to occur. I found that you can simply wait it out, perhaps the game is still creating the area or saving? Once it calms down play can continue as usual, but it can take several minutes. It doesn't tell you this or give you a load screen though, so if you start fighting right away you are likely to make the game throw a tantrum.

I can't get this to happen on any machine I've got, but I've heard it from multiple people. The loading and saving should be done as soon as the screen fades in, the area generation is usually very quick. It's an obnoxious bug and I need to find an answer.

New build of 1.06 us up
http://www.dungeonmans.com/dungeonmans106.zip

This has a fix for the dual weapon crash, crimson bloodslime crash, and should finally (?) fix the crash some people were having when they loaded the game for the first time.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Mindblast posted:

I had a perfectly good fightermans who I had successfully changed into a two handed blendermans that mauled the gently caress out of everything and suddenly in a doable dungeon this asshat called Dead Eye pops up and hits for 30 damage a turn. ranged. :mad:

He still had stremf to return to the academy. :(

An Ignore Laughable Projectiles scroll would have come in handy! Also, in the build I just put, I fixed Razor Fury which wasn't working as intended at all. It's way stronger now.

When a hero dies, I should see to it that he drops whatever Proofs he was carrying too.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

If this is you

code:
C:\Users\Brian\Desktop\
Could you send me a PM, or an email? Thanks!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

grayrobot posted:

What, this link didn't work for you?

hah awesome. No, someone is running Dungeonmans right from their desktop and getting an audio crash on startup. I need like three more machines and some extra hands here. I should consider running a kickstarter.

code:
1.06 | Crash on start.
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Brian\Desktop\Content\Audio\dmans2013audio.xgs'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
Did the file get corrupted? Are they trying to run it right from the .zip? Did they just delete their Content directory for kicks? :iiam:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Let me answer some of these questions, sorry for getting behind. I treated myself to 8 hours of sleep last night, is nice.

Tollymain posted:

Are the Deft and Sturdy enchantments explained anywhere?
Deft is a 5% Parry Bonus, Sturdy is 5% Block. This should be showing up in 1.06. I've been bad about making sure every bonus appears in the UI.

Carnalfex posted:

Are the master's programs implemented, or are they locked? Or is that where necro shows up?
First Master's Program should be in the next game update. If not, then I'll talk about them in a KS update and implement them in 1.08 or something. Short version is that they are unlocks that are unlocked through Mastery selection.

Tollymain posted:

What does bringing books back to the Academy do other than make the library bigger and the librarian douchier?
That's a reward all its own, imo.

You can pre-identify more and more scrolls as the Library grows, and when you cap the Library then each character gets four books at random to start. That's a pretty big boost, though you could get four books you don't want. I've seen players change their mind about what they want their new character to do based on the books that show up, I like that.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I went in a "trivial" dungeon and got mobbed by ice-slinging skeletons and died in a few turns. That makes me wonder if the trivial dungeon mechanic is implemented correctly and in a well-balanced way.
The graveyards and crypts swung from "easy joke dungeon" to "bullshit icegrinder death trap." I didn't give the creature tables the same love I gave the regular dungeons, which means there's near vertical power cliffs at some points. 1.07 Dungeon update includes unfucking them.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can I use my 1.5 save with 1.6?
No, unfortunately. The save files changed as did the structure of item data. This will probably happen again for 1.07, honestly. It's possible to code the game around that, of course, but for the Summer Preview I want to spend that time on bug fixes and feedback requests. "Here's my feedback, then: Fix your buggy save code between patches :colbert:"

Tollymain posted:

So what do you do if you've got a level 1 duder and no dungeons at an appropriate difficulty level to take on?
Dungeons restock with each new graduate. If you're tired of the Warren, there should be another Dungeon nearby, but it is random so you might have to look. If there's nothing safer than Dangerous and you refuse to do the Warren, right now you just gotta nut up and prove the valor of Dungeonmens.

GulagDolls posted:

I honestly recommend not playing a wizard dude. I am so incredibly overpowered that the game has become boring.
Coldnado is SO BROKEN. It's on the list of fixes, but I've actually let it sit out there for a little bit because I've seen an arc like this among more junior Dungeonmans players:

1) oh god I died where'd my save go
2) ok I get it this game is hard
3) 12 dungeonmens later I might have a wizardmans that can get past level 5...
4) Woo! I'm so good at Dungeonmans and I made it so far!

I'm not really going to aim the game at filthy casuals, but I have a soft spot for this sort of thing. I'm gonna fix it. The correct fix for Coldnado is to way reduce the damage and also ensure LOS works.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Also yeah I'm totally stoked you got zircon for the music. Do you know how many tracks are going to make up the soundtrack? I'm seriously considering the soundtrack pledge.

I don't know exactly how many. He's really excited about it though, and I love video game music, so I predict the number to be "many". There's interest in doing tracks that are sort of based on the themes of Dungeonmans even if they aren't used directly in game. Like, if Dungeonmans had cutscenes where the hero and the Headmaster are dueling on a crumbling stone bridge during a thunderstorm, and then the Headmaster reveals he is actually a Betrayermans. But we'll see.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Any of you who are fans of zircon's music might want to check out his livestream tonight, he'll be working on a new track for Dungeonmans!

http://www.livestream.com/zirconmusic

6pm EST

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 10, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

JTG posted:

1.06 and 1.05 crash on startup for me, I wanted to play this game too.

Did you install the XNA 4.0 Runtime? I assume you have, but just checking.

Did the crash catcher pop up? If so, would you mind crashing the game again for me and letting me know it's you in the message? I want to help!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm gonna chalk this up to not understanding the game mechanics, but as I go up in level my spells cost more mana for more effect, but my mana pool increases at a rate that is about the same - so I can cast the same number of spells, but a mana potion does less and less - so really it feels like I'm being punished for having the audacity to level up. What is intended with this mechanic?

Some spells go up in cost, some don't. Some of the ones that go up in cost I feel are too expensive, but I made that change and wanted to see what the feedback was like.

The purpose behind the mechanic is that some early spells don't become trivial to cast later on in your career. Hero Cloud, for example, is a pretty useful spell and can really help when you 1v1 powerful enemies. In 1.05, Hero Cloud didn't scale and it was nothing to blow 4 mana on protection when you had a mana pool around 80.

On the other hand, it sucks and doesn't feel powerful to get to level 5 and be able to throw the same number of Bolts of Foom before running out as you did when you were level 1. This is something I'll correct in short order.

You should be finding better mana potions as you level up, but perhaps you're unlucky. Or, perhaps, the treasure table isn't correct and they aren't showing up. I'll check. Could be both!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

JTG posted:

The crash catcher didn't pop up, it just crashes immediately the moment I try to run it, and yeah I have XNA 4.0 up.

drat. What OS are you on? Also, I think I might have licked most of the problems with International players but maybe I haven't. Are you outside the US?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

By "doesn't work properly" I mean it plays an anoying buzzing at the beginning of launching it. Then, next time I hit the hotkey for it, the arrow keys stop working until I alt-tab (but the first one I press goes through, though no others, and doesn't show up as moving until I alt-tab), and when I launch the second Bolt it is silent, then plays the buzzing right before hitting the target. It's almost like there's a long sound effect being condensed into a horrible short buzzing sound.

What in the world? It makes a buzzing noise and then makes your arrow keys not work? I'm really sorry. I've been seeing a number of wacky crashes and bad times with XNA's audio. More reason to move to OpenAL.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

E-Tap posted:

If Dungeonmans do however possess the stremf to slay foes with projectiles blocked so hard they strike the attacker, far be it from me to disagree!

Yeah the first time High Guard counter attacked a ranged enemy I just sat there and laughed. It's a bug, but it adds character so it's low priority.

Drakenel posted:

Was toying with the necromanser. (Dear god they're such a liability at the beginning before your first kill)

This was fine, however i learned that the dead tokens that got dropped since I used the stairs caused me to crash if I tried to pick them up.

I think I've corrected this in 1.06. Otherwise, yeah, it was an oversight on my behalf and the deadpulses become crashy landmines.

Since you've got Necromansy unlocked, you can roll a class with bow use, light armor, and just enough necromansy to conjure a Mostly. I've been hoping people try using conjured undeads as shields. Alternatively you could do a heavy melee build and take Redistribution of Health. Necromansy rewards people who wade into the fight because you can keep snapping up deadpulses.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: and is there a Deckard Cain-style identifier in some towns, or am I just SOL if I find five times as many magic items as Scrolls of Identify? I'd spend a skill point on an Identify spell in a heartbeat.

The ID Scrolls to loots ratio gets poor rather quickly, especially mid game. An ID shrine or something is a good idea, as is just increasing the drop rates.

GeekTheMage posted:

Speaking of the Warren restocking, I ran the Warren with 4 different Dungeonmans and got the same Academy Artifact for alchemy each time. This seems a little broken since I've now got a fully upgraded alchemy lab for just rolling out the gate a few times. A fixed artifact like that should probably only be obtainable once.

The code I'd written for making sure the artifact was only obtainable once got a little flaky when someone would pick it up and then die before bringing it back. This was about a day before I pushed 1.05 out, and I already had other bugs to deal with so I just erred on the side of easier for the player.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This one's embarrassing, but I have a touch of carpal tunnel, so my fingers shake sometimes. I levelled up, went into the menu to look at what I should spend skill points on... and promptly double-tapped enter when I meant to single-tap to select a tab and then move the cursor, spending it immediately. Can you add a slight buffer that would prevent that?

e: also, this happened twice now

(It's not due to the Coldnado, I didn't have one up last time.)

Man, that's a screenful of developer fail, right down to "[victim] wields a mighty coldnado!" :-/

I should add a confirm window to the Mastery screen really. UI is just taking a back seat to everything else.

JTG posted:

I'm on 64 bit vista, and I'm in the US.

I've got another case of Vista being completely unable to even launch the game. I don't have a Vista box around here so I'm not sure what to do. There are Vista-specific XNA libraries but the other player I have with Vista tried those and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll keep looking for answers, XNA on Vista might be tricky but clearly there's a solution out there.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It could easily have just been that I should have alt-tabbed out and back in to see if the stairs would work then instead of Combat Blinking and trying to fight... but yeah. Not a very helpful bug report.

Next build, I'm going to include a troubleshooting feature where you can disable sound entirely and you can see if the game still acts lovely. I appreciate you enduring that crap.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Goffer posted:

Shops could be a little more dynamic as well, they all seem to sell the same stuff.

Yeah, they're bad. It's noted in the readme, they're just all the same right now. They don't have variety or scale by level. It's not a difficult thing to finish up but it always falls by the wayside, so much time is consumed trying to keep the kickstarter flames fanned.

GeekTheMage posted:

It seems that dual wielding Dungeonmans can become unstoppable juggernauts of destruction at higher levels.

I buffed Razor Fury in 1.06 because it was practically useless before and I wasn't seeing a lot of Dual Wield players. It's too strong but at least it enticed new people to stick with DW. Tuned back down for 1.07

GeekTheMage posted:

Not pictured: Dodging everything even without Hero Cloud up (always have Hero Cloud up).

What kind of armor are you wearing, and what is your dodge?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Earthkrash posted:

I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not BUT

:smug:

Was it fun to do? I hope so!

Looking at the log in the second screen and your half empty stamina bar it seemed like it took a bit of thinking. I do wonder if the Orc Warriors knocked you around any with Danger Shuffle, they should have if they didn't. Game shouldn't be easymode, but it feels very Dungeonmansy to me to walk into a room full of bad guys and take them down with style. I'll tune it right, eventually.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Got some screens up with examples of new dungeon layouts, including this old busted vs new hotness

I put the rest in a KS Update which you can read here

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike/posts/537004

and leave comments if you like, which increases the meta-social-SEO-hypertext rankscore value of the project which Kicktraq then uses to decide what projects to hotlist.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How does the range on the magic staff attack actually work? From this picture, I assume it's just a 7x7 box centered on yourself, so that it's "three squares" in any direction, which is definitely not what I expected. (But it's in the player's favor, so I ain't complaining.)

It's actually fair to everyone all around. Here's the science :science:

It costs just as much AP to move diagonal as it does to move cardinal, so an enemy 3 squares away diagonally is just as close as one 3 squares away dead ahead. It also makes spells like Lava Lance more useful. If shooting at diagonals made for worse range, you'd get less interesting shots and less interesting positioning.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This rocks. What controls whether or not this happens, pure chance? Haven't seen it before, but haven't had that many deaths yet.

Here's how it goes. If your hero dies between levels 5 and 9, he leaves behind his weapon or armor, with a special enchant that can only happen in this way. Heroes level 10-12 do something even better.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does it bother you th
You can almost always assume the answer is yes.

jsr v2.0 posted:

Backed it for $25. The music is fantastic. Reminds me of old FF games.
Thank you! zircon just recently streamed about two hours of his music making process. Brand new track! Skip to the end if you want to just hear it, but it's really a cool video overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1dfn9A88w

Runic Edge posted:

A lot of :words:, but this game is amazing so it deserves them.
You have no idea how cool this is to read. From a strictly developer stand point, these sort of write ups go into a text file and when I'm readying I new build I double check them, saying "How much better is Dungeonmans for this person?"

From a more personal perspective, there have been a number of tough days working on the game where I was just really frustrated and shouting (at no one in particular) stuff like no one is going to give a poo poo about your dumb spells, positioning and lovely "systems", this is stupid you're stupid and you're basically doing the game designer jerk off. I'm always happy when I hear about someone being entertained by the game's mechanics.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

GeekTheMage posted:

I think the ultimate dungeon in the game probably should start out a little more challenging. The area outside was Legendary, after all.

That is a straight up bug and I'm bad at making video games. I can probably fix that with just an exe change, no new academy required. Jesus.

Edit: http://dungeonmans.com/dmans_spire_repair.zip it's a zip with an exe, should (should!) just be able to replace your current one. No other changes of note except that the Dread Spire won't be trivial anymore.

Edit x 2: I just got your feedback that the last dungeon was too easy. Congratulations though!

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 13, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

jsr v2.0 posted:

I just started my 3rd dude and checked out the dungeon right next to town. I ended up going 8 floors down (!!) before opening a door and being 3 shotted by some orc-bear-bull looking thing. Fucker got me by surprise, no one up to that point was denting my armor. And then, bam, dead. Didn't even get to return to the Academy to upgrade it. Roguelikes!!

What level did he get to? It might be worth heading back down there!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

jsr v2.0 posted:

2) Question - How do I unlock doors as a Fighterman? I got the bottom level of a dungeon I've been trying to clear for hours, I walk in to a room and get the boss message, and then I'm moved a few steps back and a door appears in front of me that tells me that it is locked and that I cannot unlock doors. What happened here?

This might actually be another bug. Once I opened the door, I was immediately blown back in to the hall by an enemy Wizard, right before the boss message appeared. If the boss is supposed to lock you in with him, then I may have been blown out of the room before the door locked.

The doors won't lock anymore, and being knocked back / pushed through doors will break them down.

jsr v2.0 posted:

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've now lost 5 level 5-6 characters to those "Jibby Jibby Jabaroo" enemies in one hit.

They're too tough. Some people got around them but basically they're an unreasonable difficulty spike.

jsr v2.0 posted:

edit2: And lost a character, I think. Zoned from Level 3 to Level 4 as a shield specced guy. Saw a poison scorpion so I used "High Guard" without moving off the Steps. I then used "Shield Rush" and targeting the scorpion, but it didn't do anything. I pressed enter a few times more, and then it dashed at the scorpion, but it never actually stopped. My character went gliding off the bottom of the screen past the outer bounds of the map. I Save & Exited to try to fix it, but now whenever I load, I crash. Probably a good time to go to bed, anyway!

I'll have some troubleshooting options available in 1.07 that might help.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Started playing this game a couple days ago, and have been having a tremendous amount of fun with it since.

It does feel very incomplete at the later levels though (as is expected of a beta). I kind of wish that I didn't have to go through so much hassle to unlock Necromansy (Crypts are not a fun dungeon. Going through three crypts is not a fun experience.) Caves are a dungeon I'm a little confused by, is there supposed to be a boss somewhere in there, or are they just passages you can take to go through the mountains?

I've been making good use of the feedback button whenever I do feel the need to comment on something. I love all the different aspects of the game and hope to see it expand tremendously. More academy stuff, please! I also think it would be cool if you could donate the gold you obtain to the academy for some completely ostentatious poo poo, like diamond floors and gold plated walls. Maybe have color coordinated statues in the graveyard to represent what level the player was when they died.

I'm a little bummed out now because my Fightermans has hit level 11 and I *think* I'm nearing the end of the game. It must be a Good Thing if i'm already hankering for new classes and content.

I'm glad you're having a good time!

What would make the Crypts more fun? Enemy variety? Challenge?

You are nearing the end of the Summer Preview at level 11. If you're playing build 1.06, you should grab the exe fix here to make the final dungeon not count as Trivial: http://dungeonmans.com/dmans_spire_repair.zip it's a zip with an exe, should (should!) just be able to replace your current one. No other changes of note except that the Dread Spire won't be trivial anymore.

Having the statues in the graveyard be fancier based on the death level of the hero would be a sweet touch!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

New Kickstarter update here, I go through a bunch of feedback (one of them at least is a known goon!) and talk about the changes ahead. There's also a trio of awesome Let's Play videos, and a touch of information on 1.07 features.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike/posts/540863

I really wanted to crank away on code the last couple of days but there's been a lot of media / business stuff to handle and a full day of that makes me just want to stick my head in the microwave. I did get knockbacks fixed so that they destroy doors and breakables, that is super fun.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Devor posted:

You used one of my comments in the Kickstarter update! :allears: Actually I feel like a bunch of those were from this thread. That's cheating!

They were pulled straight from the feedback files I have on the server. If most of that feedback came from goons, it's because goons are the best at writing feedback!

My favorite one so far is

quote:

when i identify an item and then equip it my ranged attacks stop auto-targeting and i have to save/quit and re-enter game to get it to work again. awesome game other than that. great job!

Player: fuckthisgame

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That player is silly, you only need to uenquip and reequip the bow to get automatic targeting back. Still needs fixing though.

The humor to me was that he ended with "Awesome game, great job!" and his character was named fuckthisgame.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

victrix posted:

The soundtrack in this game is ridiculously good

Just in case you missed the link earlier, here's zircon livestreaming his work on a new track for the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1dfn9A88w

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mind a more detailed list of the stats or something, because sometimes I forget what does what when I'm adding extra points mid-game.

I should do that. I'm also thinking of renaming some of them, particularly Bombast. It was originally called Swagger which fit perfectly in 2010 but is now co-opted by the yolo jit crowd. They aren't just a skin on STR DEX CON etc, they really are organized differently. Maybe that's to the game's detriment.

Runic Edge posted:

Kind of prying open the lid here, but can you talk a bit about the formulas and uses of the Science stat? Out of all the stats it feels like the worst,

Science is supposed to reduce the cost of powers, and it doesn't. It does raise your dungeon sense a little, which will be more important in 1.07. It's also supposed to make your items more potent (it kinda does) and status effects more effective on enemies. That is hard to notice because they usually die very quickly anyway.

Ideally, when Dungeonmans is truly balanced, you'll be able to have five different characters, each with 40 points in a different stat, and feel the difference.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

What's the intended efficacy spread designed around in the grand scheme of things in terms of stats doing what they do? A recent moment where I had to calmly step away from the keyboard involved an intentionally heavily Stremf/Skills boosted Heavily Armed Archer Turret kinda Mans with a Tier 2 enchanted bow that also started with high scores in the above. Things go as they do, and I find myself in Trivial territory staring down a small room packed with the truly Trivial---I unleashed my grand Square Storm of Arrows as per usual.

Except, every single one, for every single instance, parried the hell out of me leaving the move entirely wasted.

Obviously, out of dumbfounded respect for their apparent Mathemagically Inscrutable Moxy, I then proceeded to Wait-kill myself to a death of A Thousand Or So Nibbles---but seriously, that was nuts and leads me to reckon something must at least need some tweaking in terms of Skills defeating things that protect things.

I'd have paid good money to watch th Man I'm really sorry about that. Was it Parry specifically? I know that there are bad guys now who will alert everyone within 3 tiles about ranged attacks and give them a pretty strong ranged attack defense (-5 off the top, then 50% of the remainder) and you can see the little arrow shield icon bouncing over their head.

Skills as a stat that helps you defeat parry makes sense though.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Gooch181 posted:

My poor level 5 rangermans just started wearing armor when I got cocky and proceeded to get ate by a toad named rot guts. :-(

That Toad is likely the Totally Fair and Balanced Monster, who is eating the nerf stick for 1.07.

I should have a goonbuild of 1.07 late tomorrow. Been working on it non stop.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Alright, here's a look at 1.07! I'd appreciate anyone who downloads it and kicks the tires. I've done a lot of testing but we all know what developer testing is worth.

If it doesn't crash and format harddrives, it goes to the public tonight.

http://www.dungeonmans.com/dungeonmans107.zip

No readme update or patch notes yet, they show up later today. If you really want to be a helper, hit one of the dungeons and see what you think of the new layouts, secret areas, and other stuff.

Edit for crashes:

Seen one crash if you pick the bottom row of stats on char creation.

Got someone who blew up the targeting window, I've tackled that one.

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 23, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

E-Tap posted:

Thankfully the game stopped crashing when I got brave enough to delete my old save files from 1.06.

That's interesting, the game should have handled that for you when you started. Or at least forced you to begin a new Academy.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Devor posted:

I'm glad about the update to 1.07 to fix the really really really low damage bug. I hadn't played the last build, and when I decided to give a melee 2hander a try for the first time, it was like, holy poo poo, I can't make it to level 2!
Yeah, glad that's behind us.

Devor posted:

Is Science as terrible a stat as I think it is?

It's a secondary stat, to be sure, but it shouldn't be terrible. If it feels like points spent in science are wasted then something is wrong. Science has a material effect on bleeds and poisons done and taken, as well as all the health/mana/stam potions which are all heal over time. Stuff like Wreck Armor lasts longer on the enemy and less time on you. If given the choice between a point in stremf and a point in science, I'd probably take stremf, but as the cost required to raise your stats increases, you can get a bigger benefit out of 4 Proofs of Stremf bringing up science than you can nudging stremf.

Devor posted:

And the perk that gives you an extra action every 4 rounds seems incredibly overpowered. It's like a 25% damage increase if you're trading blows, and if you're dodging it lets you kite things that would normally be unkitable without using stamina.

I left it in 1.07 because it's a bit of a crutch for softer players, but the reality is the perk either needs a penalty to go with it, or to just be pulled entirely.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Protagorean posted:

The Greatest Story Ever Told

That is fantastic. I'm sorry you got beat down so hard but it seems like you're enjoying yourself. One of thing of note you said was:

Protagorean posted:

in a combination of T3/T4 plate armor (all enchanted) and with about 200 health,

That's not impossible, but worrisome, so I took a look. I went through the uploads and grabbed your death log, maybe I can help you out.

pre:
Brigand Deadeye gathers strength and focus!
Brigand Deadeye gathers strength and focus!

Ghee Buttersnaps opens the door.
Brigand Sharpshooter shoots for the legs!
Ghee Buttersnaps is slowed by a painful arrow!
Brigand Sharpshooter steals 17 stamina.
Brigand Sharpshooter's attack bounces off Ghee Buttersnaps's armor!

Brigand Deadeye uses Shellbreaker Shot!
Brigand Deadeye crushes Ghee Buttersnaps for 56 damage!
Brigand Deadeye steals 13 stamina.

Ghee Buttersnaps's defenses are shattered! Armor and Block greatly reduced.
Brigand Deadeye uses Shellbreaker Shot!
Brigand Deadeye hits Ghee Buttersnaps for 72 damage!
Seems like you got worked over by the first two shots, which were armor breakers. Armor and Block greatly reduced is serious business for somebody in full plate. Good thing you made the pro move and stepp-
pre:
Select a target for Cinderfist.
:wth:
pre:
Ghee Buttersnaps uses Cinderfist!
Ghee Buttersnaps's Cinderfist hits Brigand Sharpshooter for 268 damage!
The Brigand Sharpshooter dies! Ghee Buttersnaps earned 19 XP.
Brigand Deadeye shoots for the legs!
Brigand Deadeye hits Ghee Buttersnaps for 48 damage!
Brigand Deadeye steals 17 stamina.
Ghee Buttersnaps parries Bloodstrike Buzzer's attack!
Brigand Deadeye shoots for the legs!
Brigand Deadeye hits Ghee Buttersnaps for 51 damage!
Ghee Buttersnaps is dead!!
Doesn't afraid of anything. Well, I can learn from this. It might not have been obvious that you just got your teeth kicked in so hard, maybe the health bar could be brighter. The shield break effect is pretty noticeable, being a big broken shield and all, and if Armor or Blocking is your thing you should take note when that happens.

I do wonder why it said the enemies were stealing stamina from you. I don't think that's true.

Protagorean posted:

It was a nice surprise that his ghost gave my Necromanser, Dr. Orpheus, all of the Tricksonometry masteries, though.

I'm glad you found him! Not everyone checks the academy after losing a high level hero.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

victrix posted:

'everything is a threat' and 'engage nothing, cheese everything in the safest way possible' Maintaining that level of alertness for several hours is actually kind of exhausting,

I'm trying to build around that in Dungeonmans. Monsters are there to be crushed down, just so long as you keep your head about you. I know in a lot of roguelikes you survive by avoiding the biggest nasties and just stealing the orb/rune/chalice and bolting. That's cool but it's not the same as besting them in combat, hence the Heroic part of the Dungeonmans spiel.

Really, if your next move couldn't get you out of LOS of those archers, hero cloud would have done you well so that the next 4 shots miss. There should be a good way to occasionally purge negative effects on you. Maybe I can just charge 2000 gold for that and solve two problems at once :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

INsecurity posted:

Just downloaded 1.7 and the libraries needed but I can't get it to start at all on my win7 machine. No sound no window no anything just double click the icon and nothing happens.

If you'd be so kind as to grab this and replace your exe with it.

http://www.dungeonmans.com/dmans_crashcatcher_test.zip

it's 1.07b with a better crash catcher, it helped me pin down a problem for someone else who was having similar issues. Hopefully this will help me help you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Protagorean posted:

Also, I just got teleported into a room with five champion Bandit Foomansers. One of them was a big baddy with like 160ish health, and I pounded his face in with Bolts of Foom, but when I was OOM, suddenly, the other four popped into view. Luckily, they pushed me back next to some cover, which I took advantage of to regain my mana, and spent the next few turns using a mana tincture, popping Vanish, coming out and blowing one of those suckers up, popping back behind. Rinse and repeat; but god was it tense.

e: Oh, it was a Hall of Champions. Neato. 10 Proof of Stenf's richer, now! The exit portal drops me in a completely blocked off room though. :manning:

e2: Oh, there's a whole corridor that's hidden. Heh.

An Ancient King! Congratulations. Though, you shouldn't have been teleported into there by accident, that's a bug. Did the fancy champion drop anything interesting?

Lodin posted:

Man, I should have known there was an active dev thread for this here. I found it as the second Google hit on "Dungeonmans forum".
Anyway, I'd just like to say that this is my favourite roguelike ever and it's the Kickstarter I've given the biggest backing to.
Also, how is the 'starter going? It's missing a thousand Dollars with only a few days left. Will development continue even if it goes tits up?

Thank man, that's really great to hear. It keeps me going. Ah, yeah, the Kickstarter isn't looking too good, is it? It's not over yet though. If the KS fails then development will take a markedly different course.

• Locked thread