Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

It hurts, I know. But not only does Eager break the game sometimes but it's mechanically a nobrainer. People feel like the ultimate weapon would just be Eager x 7 with no other enchants. Instead, I'm adding top-tier enchants for the different weapon types

1h: Each swing increases weapon damage by 20% for the next round, stacking to 100% as long as you keep hitting stuff.
2h: When you kill a monster you immediately get another action during which your weapon damage goes up by 50% (not stacking, sorry) and Press The Attack is free.
Bow: Critical hits reset the strain on all your bow powers and the next one you use has additional effects
Polearm: something
Wizard Staff: probably make Bolt of Foom splash, we'll see
Fists: ha ha fists can't be enchanted... wait, can they!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Soup du Journey posted:

i bet he smokes cigarettes too. i bet he flips the bird at passing cops.
I do what I want

Selling skins doesn't feel right to me. Those feelings were challenged by the moths flying out of my wallet recently, but I stood my ground. Besides, who's to say I'll actually make money on selling the skins? The cost to get them made might be more than the return on DLC sales.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

So I've done the absolute absurd and have read nearly 100 pages of a topic of a game I don't even own

madjack, I just want to say I really appreciate and admire the way you handle yourself as a game designer. Your actual thoughts are interesting and insightful, but it's the way that you communicate, talk through your ideas, and then ultimately (and quickly!) implement said ideas that I really envy

This topic is a really interesting historical record of how the game has transformed over the years, moreso than even most devlogs I've read

Anyway, hopefully that's not too weird, and now that I'm done catching up I think I'll go ahead and buy the dang thing

Wow, thank you! Being able to be open about ideas and take responsibility for mistakes is one of the biggest joys of indie work. I'm really happy when stuff goes right, but I'm also happy that I know exactly who to point the finger at when stuff goes wrong. World of difference from being on a huge AAA team. I've learned a mountain during dmans and really want to put them to use on new content as well as a new game.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Temellin posted:

This is a superb game, and I have put too much time into it already - love what you are doing with it!

I was playing on the 1.7a4 build and the Combat Log Density changes are great - but if you have it set to "Less Things" it doesn't show you if your damage is being resisted, whereas with "Everything" enabled you can see it. Any chance we could have the "Less Things" option still show you if a portion of your damage is getting resisted?

Less Things:

Everything:

Good find. I'd like to do that in one line, I wonder how to word it. Maybe a simple (R!) or something, but that could confuse people. Hmm. I'll chew on this, thank you!

The markup text shows those images coming from a discord server! I hope your friends are enjoying the game, I'd be happy to swing by if they have any questions. You can also jump up ons the dmans server: https://discord.gg/0tYnHDpQ7v9rViPD

(lol gonna feel real dumb if those are screens posted in the dmans server that I just didn't see)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This sounds like the poo poo people used to make up about the cow level in Diablo 1.

Exactly the point.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

:siren:Two cool things today:siren:

1) Zircon's game is out in Early Access, if ya didn't know: http://store.steampowered.com/app/628770/Tangledeep/
It's awesome, if you like dmans you are very likely to enjoy TD. Zircon is the composer for Dungeonmans, he got so tired of hearing his great music tied to mediocrity that he went off to make his own game! I got to help him a little along the way, as well as do some fiction, dialog, and flavor text writing for TD. Do check it out.

2) Today (19 July 2017) I'm running a gamedev stream for many hours, working on Rangermans love as well as the replacements for Eager, AND... enchanted fists. https://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans that happens around 10am pst today, or 30 minutes from right meow.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Drink the Typhoon, first is just a visual upgrade for the power (with sound, in game) and the second is the Fired Up version.

Venomizer -> Pinomizer, holds the enemy in place. First use in a turn does not cost you any AP.

Fired Up Stick n' Move, attack three targets

"Fired Up" is part of the new top-tier Bow enchant. When you shoot, all your Strain drops by 1, and when you crit, you get Fired Up and your next Rangermans ability has a bonus effect.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Sakco posted:

I was able to exploit it semi-successfully by putting a weight on the "." key and reading a book while my char went from lvl 6 to lvl 9. Few mins later I was dead, zombies must have hit me in quick succession. loving karma :D

Sounds like working as intended :D

I thought I had set zombies to noxp/nodrop, maybe not. Thank you for letting me know, I'll take a look.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is anyone besides me going to post?

Also enjoy sprites. :v:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40bl9pamxWM3B6a28

Ok that rules. The psychomanser kit has to be really fun with Ryu as a sprite.

I'll be doing another dev stream today around 10a pacific, finish up the fist enchants / psychofocus and try to get all the ranger enchants done too, then on to the bannermans enchants.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Do my AOE spells damage me? I'm wondering if I can drop the meteor spell on my head if I ever find myself swarmed by enemies.
Do not do this.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I generated another fuckload of sprites, this time from Elminage. Genders assigned at random. :v:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40RlJKaHRraDJOQ0E
Outfuckingstanding, thank you.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Caros posted:

The correct answer is not to use loving meteor.

Both times I've used it I have ended up getting thrown or pulled into the radius and killed by my own spell.
One day I'll add a Meteor Hat that does something like break the damage from your own meteor into 10% / round for 12 rounds.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Catpain Slack posted:

Dammit! Killing the orc boss of an adventure map crypt makes my game crash every time without fail, just as the loot is about to drop. No enchants for me..

I can help! Go to the discord and drop your save in the save clinic, help mr figure out what I screwed up.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Donkringel posted:

These sprites are excellent. Would it be possible to get them included in the OP? I've got most of em downloaded, but just in case I miss any.

That's a really good idea. The OP is super out of date.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This morning I tried to enchant the rod and it broke. :(
Enchanting items is risk free unless you try using multiple hammers, but there are zero surprises there:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Donkringel posted:

What is the maximum prosperity that towns can get to? On my map my highest is 11. I've maxed out all the towns (i think) but by the flavor text I feel it can go higher. I don't want to reroll the map yet since I've hit cartography 3, and I'm about to beat the end game on my first dungeonmans, so I don't want to risk any unknowns.

Also what did the "Eager" enchant use to do? I see that it got hit with the nerf stick after last update. I'm assuming that it's gone completely?

Eager was a buggy multistrike, it's out. Having your weapon hit more than once was the must-have enchant for every weapon, and there was nothing better than a Cosmic Eagerx7 weapon.

Max prosperity is... I don't think it's capped, but there's a soft cap in that shop tables only go so high. You can't prosperity a town into dropping 5 star weapons.

But maybe you should be able to? I would love to settle a town in the wilderness.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also, fun side effect of the Gross! status that I got from an armor that's apparently made of faces is that the ragegolem summoning bandit wizards occasionally fall in love with me and follow me around. :gonk:

I've got a good handle on most of the skill trees, but the last tree in Southern Gentlemans completely baffles me. The first two are easy to use but the tantrum and irk draining status kind of makes it difficult? What exactly is the best way to use it?

The last line is my attempt to solve a personal problem where raging as a barbarian feels like any other roguelike ability. You set these buttons to maximum offense, through caution to the wind, + damage - armor, and then... you still take 5 minutes to plan each move. Which is great, because roguelikes, but it also felt like an opportunity to try something different.

You use it by getting in a good thick crowd of enemies, then you mash the buttons. Tearin' Around if you're not near someone, the other two if you are. rawaarararwar

Also I'm proud of the flavor text the first two Fire and Brimstone powers. You have to say them in Frank Underwood's voice.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I've been busy as all get out, but I have an update for you guys. I'm working with Zircon on Tangledeep now effectively full time! We are both stoked about this and I even flew out to his place for a long weekend so we could kick off in style.

Dungeonmans is alive and still gets love, just much less time per week.

Details on all of this are in our two bro love steam posts:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/1438193702207689666

http://steamcommunity.com/games/628770/announcements/detail/1448326897421368642

Next dmans patch is likely next week, I fixed up a mess of bugs and some Line of Sight stuff too.

Dire Lemming posted:

I played it when it was really early in development and I remember not liking it but it's really fun now.
That rules, thank you. There's been a whole mess of updates over the last three years!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

NewMars posted:

When the game warns you about overusing blasphemous tirade, my god they are not kidding. :staredog:

On a different note: I feel like the game needs a few more masters programs, like, maybe there could be one based off of combining dungeon dervish and all of the psychomansery talents that gives some serious upgrades for two-fisted dungeonmans?
Yeaaaahhh actually the next patch is going to decouple Dungeon Dervish from Psychomanser :(

Barehanded combat should feel different from weapon-in-each-hand combat. It was a gap in the weapon equip code that let it happen for so long.

Barehanded based masters program is probably the next one, if there is a next one.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Zeerust posted:

Will taking the Dervish capstone still allow you to make double attacks with fists, or using a fist in conjunction with a 1-handed melee weapon?

All that's changing is that Razor Fury, Decimanser's Dance, and the quick slash power are not usable unless you have a 1h weapon in both hands, fists don't count.

One point in any psychomanser power should unlock "offhand fist", which means not really dual wield but you can punch with both fists. This isn't working currently but it will before I patch it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Bug report:

- start creating a character
- get to portrait selection
- alt-F4
- start the game back up and try to create a new character with the same name.

It will say that "[name] is the name of a Dungeonmans currently adventuring" but there's no way to actually load that character.

E: while I'm here, is it possible to use a shield with a Psychomanser?

E2: also, I'm having trouble with custom herosprites; I installed a bunch that were posted in this thread, and, well, they all come out looking like this:

Not just in the sprite selector and load game screen, but in game as well.

Looking at the sprite sheets outside of the game, they're all properly transparent.

E3: another bug report: if you use Toss Weapon so you have a bunch of weapons floating around you, and then kill an enemy with a melee attack, you'll throw a weapon at the enemy after it dies and the log will show you doing ranged damage to it after the death message.

It is possible that sprite is not actually properly transparent. If the pixels are like even 0.01f alpha the XNA loader will draw them as white.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Streaming today, and putting out a patch this afternoon.

http://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

Halloween kicks off today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

NewMars posted:

So the patch just dropped for me, how long until the notes come?
Kept you waiting, huh?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/1448330532482231383

code:
The Horseless Headsman Returns!

He's back (or maybe he never left) and there's a little something new this year. Spooky Adventure Maps will drop during the season, 
leading to all new dungeon types with new boss encounters. You can also collect Rare Mostlies, pets with unique names and 
a full set of class powers that have no time limit and hop back into your inventory when you change areas.

Line of Sight Improvements

Targeting powers and ranged attacks should cleaner and make more sense. Bugs that occasionally let one target see another 
but not vice versa have been fixed. Note that there still may be situations where you can't see a monster but they can see you, 
it's just that those situations won't be based on wonky LOS calculations.

Redistribution of Health
	* No longer targets enemies out of LOS
	* Improved audio/visual effects
	* Will sum all the health leeched and lost before applying it to the caster

Combat Changes
	= Wizard staves can now parry, Fists cannot.
	= Dungeon Dervish powers can no longer be used with fists, and require a 1H weapon in each hand.
	= Debug code that allowed anyone to always equip staff + 1h was still lingering in the game. Whoops. It is gone now.
	= Many delayed attacks -- attacks that happened as part of animations during a special power -- were NOT using the offhand. They are now.
	= Most status effects that require armor will go away when you change out a piece of armor, even if they are the same type.

Bug Fixes/QoL
	= Scrolls of Armor Ascension now properly deliver top-shelf armor mods.
	= UI Fix: clicking on consumables in hotbars while the Use Item window is open won't toss your items in the trash.
	= Status Effect display should be a little more responsive when removing effects.
	= The "Belt" slot, that little box in the bottom right, no longer accepts any items. It will again soon!
	= Deep Rolled the Thunder is no longer usable in the Overworld.
	= Certain legendary items that weren't showing up in the Armor tab will do so now.

• Locked thread