Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely one of the rising stars from the Roguelike thread, and certainly a refreshing breath of fresh air!

Is the aim for the eventual variety of Mans to spiral blissfully out of control to the point that is the sweet doomed embrace of a scroll bar, or do you have a rather concrete assortment in mind with the particulars still being food for thought? If you lock it down, please spend excess time in dev hell just to give them an awesome Bitmap Brothers Soldiers of Fortune intro/profile sequence---just because and we all want that fated remix from your talented musical goon.

Beyond goodies strewn about the world, it is the potential for different Mans and fodder for the machine that is the Dungeonmans 5 point'ers that holds extra appeal.

Also, can we get some kinda Used Salesmans aspect going for shopping? It'd be a nice way to still have a line on your old finds while not cluttering up the Shiny and the New from proper vendors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

nvining posted:

This is dreadfully fun looking, and it's cool to see another roguelike. I'll be checking it out this weekend for sure, and will put some links up on our forums at Gaslamp.

Whimsy Roguelike Solidarity is a glorious thing!

Anybody have any special tricks to impart on dealing with those new insane leaping charge frogs? They hit like trains, have a good bit of HP, and there has to be another way beyond chain Foom Bolting then being out of Mana because a 2nd one spawned and that's that?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What's the intended efficacy spread designed around in the grand scheme of things in terms of stats doing what they do? A recent moment where I had to calmly step away from the keyboard involved an intentionally heavily Stremf/Skills boosted Heavily Armed Archer Turret kinda Mans with a Tier 2 enchanted bow that also started with high scores in the above. Things go as they do, and I find myself in Trivial territory staring down a small room packed with the truly Trivial---I unleashed my grand Square Storm of Arrows as per usual.

Except, every single one, for every single instance, parried the hell out of me leaving the move entirely wasted.

Obviously, out of dumbfounded respect for their apparent Mathemagically Inscrutable Moxy, I then proceeded to Wait-kill myself to a death of A Thousand Or So Nibbles---but seriously, that was nuts and leads me to reckon something must at least need some tweaking in terms of Skills defeating things that protect things.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, it was straight Parries for all with nary a Block or Dodge among them---these were like Green Oozes, those tiny little worm snake things, and one of those Green Guys that remind me of a sinister poisonous aerial Echo the Dolphin or some such...the Truly Trivial even by Scrobold Warren standards and no Buffing was afoot like the various humanoids can bust out.

I guess it is hard to reckon the stat threshold in, say, D&D terms where you know that only at extremes does it ever get so high and what you can expect that to mean along the way. As in, is 50's meant to be the most a Mans can ever expect to aspire to/balance the game around in a given stat...or a 100 point spread or..? Could be nice if there come to be dedicated perks maybe to reaching certain breakpoints in a given one, like a certain Skill score will force at least one hit of any multi-hit attack launched to land true no matter the Maths of how Clouded-up and Dodgy/Tanky/Blocky a foe prides themselves on being.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Though I mourn the passing of Bombast into the mists, I definitely like what little I've seen so far of the Dungeon redesign---gonna toss some hours in as I can today in a quest to finally unlock the Necro and maybe survive for once as a 2-hander.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Finally unlocked the Necro today---seems promising! Also, have I just got an odd world going, or are the only traps afoot the teleport variety here in the lands of v1.07b?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That's a fine update---Archers en masse were pretty much a death sentence otherwise even with a Hero Cloud going. Though it surprises me to see that they were all busting similar, as while that happened here and there with double Shattering Shot insta-kills, mainly I'd get foiled by a little of everything arriving all at once which pretty much wipes you out/suspicions of double turns on their part especially when my last action was opening a secret wall.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely a good day on seeing this vaulted up here in the final hours to success---here's hoping on those stretch goals while there's still a bit of time left for surging!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Congrats on a fine KS run of it---definitely within Shield Rushing distance of that first stretch goal in the hereafter, if not a merry Quick Dash.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
As soon as I found my first Monster Party invitation I expected to find a giant dead enemy with perhaps a unique 2-hander inside---the actual result was quite different as it turns out, but I managed to survive getting smashed all over the room into the southeastern corner and burn all manner of consumables against the many foes...many of which all stacked on the same tile.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Lootsplosion honestly looks like something that will never get old and is sorely missing from the instant pile of gravity weighing down all the fun in other Roguelikes, especially if it occasionally gets even more outlandish---surely I alone dare not dream for a lavish spectacle bordering on a Rube Goldberg scene for extra-loot packed bosses?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I will immediately proceed to rain grievous blows upon my backlog in all respects such that it can do naught but bear witness and slowly(Denial can be a form of optimism!) redouble in power to eventually destroy me whilst watching me dive deeply and recklessly into this newfound Dungeonmans. 2014 proper begins now---the Gregorian Calendar could not have foreseen such whimsical swagger and bombast.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If we just want to go crazy here, have it heal you to full and drop you off in a mysterious pocket arena, perhaps vaguely Valhalla/Castle of the Winds flavored---where you must literally overcome your exact Mans in the form of a Doppelganger. Win, and you are out of danger to plot from there upon your great trials that just sent you packing---but it is thy doom if you can't surmount your own strengths and weaknesses when they are thrashing you about the face as it is on top of literally.

The ultimate teaching moment, wood doesn't hit back as a shot across the bow to ToME 4's training dummy, it is to crazy to fail, etc.

I confess to listening to the last bits of this while forming, imagining, and posting this idea as it is applicable to all of Dungeonmans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EPEfJ5fzw

ExiledTinkerer fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 30, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That first monster is triggering some seriously wonderful Golden Axe nostalgia---all look super sharp!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm totally in favor of concentrating it on down to just awesome and no filler on the towns---let them be as much a rollercoaster of interesting doings as dungeons.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well earned for all the hard work you've been putting into it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, though a dramatic closeup on the majestic Triger is never a bad idea to impress/horrify. Flows well with the music and all else to boot.

I still elect to dream of a day when you guys have more success and loot than crunching launch stress/mundane concerns and can whip up a GrimDark'ish homage video to the classic intro one from Soldiers of Fortune featuring all of the 'Mans in profile just because it would probably wind up amazing.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
After watching the new trailer many times over: Once everything in the game Just Works---it would be grand to see your take on that most classic of call-outs...surely The Secret Cow/Unicorn Levels would recoil in awe from The Majestic Trigerscape. It just feels so perfect as to be fated---like a Monster Party upgraded to the revelry at the grand table in Valhalla or some such. Cow King despairs before the visage of the Bombastic Triger/Triger of Bombast that was too strong for this world!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Feature bloat request: Can we have Fantastical Doors that lead to Splendid Treasure Vaults Great and Small? The aim would be a sneakily interwoven tutorial/Fun Times meant to impart The Good News About Damage Spiking. You could put them in the Academy, in Towns, serve as a loot-bearing/load-bearing canary in the coal mine as far as Danger Levels go at the start of Dungeon levels, anywhere a Mans can hoof it---the notion being that these are doors you have to Kool-Aid-mans through all at once, however you can reckon with resources buffing and class powers/eq, with varying damage thresholds to further prime the foe destructing mind and signify yet greater loot contained within.

Too many open doorways and doors to open---not enough beneficial edutainment violence in the mix with respect to them. Even aside from the Dream of Dreams for a special area where it is all destruction upon inanimate, clearly haughty objects and fabulous loot all the time...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Give us an outro cutaway to a retired general Dungeonmans kicking back in ever-more-elaborate/majestic Rocking Chairs ala the Throne of Conan and the world will be a better place for future generations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dungeonmans is the dream of the future, and that dream now includes the world's first, and best, fantasy analogue to an Inner City Wizarding School with the new retirement/teaching option.

There's no other Roguelike that offers anything comparable to this system of ongoing victory and interaction, maybe that oddball Hero Generations game that is still in early days, but even that's more timeline oriented---closest that isn't even close is Triangle Wizard where your full-blown game winning characters actually ascend to demi-god/goddess status, as in demonstrably getting personally super charged as opposed to just a text blurb, and can then show up at random on future character runs as an allied engine of pure destruction and spectacle until such a time as they are randomly called away to deal with other matters of cosmic import.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
One day there'll be a class(in a Roguelike) that gets exponentially and divergently more powerful the less items are in your inventory and perhaps equipped(Weave Transformation in OWH withstanding) outright---the ultimate in teaching The Lesson that, win or lose, you went out raging and/or naked with nothing left on the table as is good and proper with the loot beyond gold having held no purchase over your destined soul seeking conquest and high adventure.

Or just a riff on people bugging DarkGod for years now to have another class that simply eats pretty much everything in existence save maybe the those actually trying to kill you for passive and active gains so as to impart the spirit of the thing from the other direction.

• Locked thread