Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
It's good to see some articles popping up. It might be a good idea to remind them next month if you do another Kickstarter. If you do, make it clear that the goal has been reduced with some content moved to stretch goals.

If you do make a second Kickstarter, don't forget to post an update to the first one so the backers will know.

The 'learning-based' concept for puzzles sounds really interesting. It fits very well with the character of Dropsy - he's only capable of doing simple things, and the main challenge for him is understanding situations in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

mr sad posted:

Your talent deserves more support. It's a shame other goon-related projects get funded while this does not. Is there a thread about it in GBS? There ought to be. Isn't that where the original Dropsy CYA thread started?

He posted a link in the GBS Dropsy thread but a mod wouldn't let him actually say anything about it in the thread under threat of being banned.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 26, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Could you post the banner ad here when you do another Kickstarter so goons can help out and pay for it if they want?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Could you please start accepting cash via Paypal when you hit 100%? It'd be more convenient for me.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

If you want to reach your stretch goals, it might help to make a couple of things clear your campaign page: how much you've gotten via Paypal, since that'd go towards them, and the fact that reaching stretch goals will result in the game being finished sooner (rather than later, which is often the case with other campaigns).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 30, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

Yeah, perhaps giving backers reasons, however slim, to believe there will be bugs is not the best idea, man.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I just hope people viewing it understand that it was just a little dorky thing I put together quickly. I'm not even a programmer. :smith:

Yeah, it'd pay to make it clear that you won't be doing programming for the main game. If you can't fix all the bugs today/tonight/ever, it might be best to take it down at least until you do. And still make it clear that you won't be doing programming for the main game.

Also, will you still be adding a Paypal option?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 31, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I'd like to email you about making a bigger-than-$10 payment. Also, it might be a good idea to offer the $25 option as a standard Paypal option as well as the $10 one (what with all the extra digital stuff).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Finally sent my email.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just uploaded another small teaser trailer. Not MUCH new in here, just a bit more concise than the last:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9weQcaCnY

Just got it, thanks!

I see you still included the epic CGI dropsy. Also, still thinking of my additions to the game.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

A thought about Dropsy's gameplay:

One of the best things about this game is that the gameplay is synchronized with the nature of the player character. Another game that does this is Deadly Premonition.

Deadly Premonition is an open-world game about an FBI agent hunting a serial killer and discovering the secrets of the town where the trail seems to have ended. In this game, the player can stop pursuing the story at any time and do side-quests, indulge in various activities such as fishing and darts, and so on. Normally, this would be inappropriate for a game like this, except that the player character, Francis York Morgan, is weird. He talks about inappropriate things to others and chats with his unseen friend Zach while driving. His is exactly the kind of person who'd screw around between story-related events.

In Dropsy, puzzles do not involve figuring out how the details of how to do something, but simply figuring out what needs to be done. For example, in most adventure games, if the player needs to activate a machine, simply realizing this isn't enough. It's probably missing a piece or something, and that piece might be attached to a necklace worn by a high priestess or a jerk or something. But in Dropsy, the puzzle would consist of realizing that the machine needs to be used in the first place, and simply finding it. This works well with the character's nature - he's not the brightest crayon in the box, and his motor skills aren't so hot. All he can do is walk, look at things, make feeble attempts to communicate, and try to manipulate things with his stubby hands. Simply understanding what's going on and what needs to be done provides the challenge for both the clown and the person controlling him.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

As for Deadly Premonition, a lot of people do notice his weirdness. I think the difference lies more in acceptance of that: The characters in DP realize York is weird, but they resign themselves to that weirdness. It's just York, which makes his weirdness more of an 'internal' factor. From what I've seen of Dropsy, that weirdness is a major outward factor, one that actively changes his experiences compared to someone else in a similar situation.

York's skill and status might also come into play. TVTropes calls this 'Bunny Ears Lawyer'. Characters put up with characters like that because of their exceptional brilliance or skill, although with York it might partly or entirely be because of his rank as an FBI agent on an investigation. Dropsy, on the other hand, gives people no automatic reason to tolerate him. Except maybe fear.

Edit: Another random thought: will it be made clear in-game that Dropsy's ability to communicate with animals is not normal? Perhaps a human character could say, "Holy poo poo, you can talk to animals?" - which could be represented as (turd with halo over it)-(Dropsy)-(mouth)-(animal)-(question mark). That first symbol would be the best way to represent an exclamation, because Dropsy would only know what the individual words mean at best, not the phrase. That dialogue system is a good way of showing not what people say, but what Dropsy comprehends when they say things.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 18, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

edit: fixing doublepost

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 18, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Don't forget that $25 Paypal option. Also, will it be possible for people to buy the Book of Secrets after the game is released?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Maybe if you end up on Steam it could be DLC (not all Steam DLC has to be in-game content - there's soundtracks, for example).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Oh, and another thing - are you taking the ten-to-eleven percent cut that Kickstarter and Amazon take from your final total into account?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy, you might want to change the phrasing of 'choose your own adventure'. ChooseCo, the company that owns the rights to the series, politely asks people to not use the name as a generic term - example. Some other possibilities are 'select your own journey' and the thematically appropriate 'euuurgh your own auuhuhuhurgh'.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Are the $200 pledges KS only or can we PayPal them later. This ends right between ps4 launch and black friday so V:shobon:V

I did it by Paypal. Email him at DropsyTheClown@gmail.com to arrange it. I don't know if he'll accept it after the Kickstarter ends but it can't hurt to ask.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 22, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Still haven't thought of a dreamworld set-piece and a character for the game. How soon do you need them?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 22, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What did you end up calling that 'choose your own adventure'-type coloring book?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Should I start preparing to email you about my dreamworld set-piece and character?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yeah, definitely. dropsytheclown@gmail :)

I have a question, which I'm putting in spoilers. I'll delete it once you've read it.

Auueugh uhhuhhurrgh.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 8, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ah, I forgot. I'll keep thinking.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

If you REALLY want that, we could shoehorn it in, but it would have to be a secret area or something as it would kind of be breaking the world's logic. :0)

No, that's okay, I'll think of something else. Another idea below:

Heeeuuuaugh. Au au uuugh.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 16, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Oh, I think I added that newest idea in an edit, so I don't know if you've seen it/been notified of it. Sorry for the doublepost.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Should we continue this in email?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

Looks good!

The inventory not opening instantly might get frustrating, though. Will there be an option for that?

The option icon would have to be wordless. Perhaps Dropsy looking into his pants while a frustrated man taps his foot and checks his watch (an icon that gets a big red X put over it when toggled off).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Did you get my email about my waking-world character idea? I can come up with another idea if you want.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

That dialogue system would be great at showing how Dropsy would have trouble interpreting some terms and phrases. He'd know what the individual words mean at best.

(Adjective: dripping blood) (Noun: fire and devil) (Punctuation: !) = Bloody hell!

(Adjective: face with halo over it) (Noun: turd) (Punctuation: !) = Holy crap!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I like how it's pretty obvious what one of the words is. Classic cryptography trick.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

SOONDAY, SOONDAY, SOONDAY!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I've found the perfect subject for a sequel to Dropsy: Chopsy.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I want to confess something (and I'll delete it if Gaspy, a mod or an admin says disclosing this isn't okay) - the reason I was being annoying about talking up the Kickstarter campaign on the forums way back when was because Gaspy was told by then-GBS-mod Abe that if he mentioned the Kickstarter in his GBS Dropsy thread, 'even a whisper', he would be punished. I was worried that if I ever mentioned it myself outside of Games, Abe would flip out and I wouldn't be the only one in trouble - something like "Kill off Dropsy forever and never use him in anything ever again, on or off the forums, or you're permabanned. LEAVE THESE FORUMS OR WE'LL SHOOT THIS CLOWN"

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 31, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Am I on the B list? If I'm on the A list, I never got your email.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Speaking of the dreamworld, are my backer rewards (statue in the dreamworld and character in the real world in the aquarium) still in the game?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

If you've sent me any emails about the beta or backer content I haven't gotten them. I'm not impatient, just paranoid about my stupid-rear end email account.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

The .sav files would be a huge help. Email them to dropsytheclown@gmail when you get a chance to test. :) And any/all bugs would be helpful to report.

Let me know if you've got yours now!

Sorry, I didn't realize you'd replied. I still haven't gotten it. Could you do it in PMs here instead? I hope it's not too late to finalize my game content backer thingy requests. 'About two weeks' has passed - is it too late?

I've also sent this as a PM.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 20, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I tried sending a reply to your latest message but your mailbox is full, so I'll ask it here: will you be using my real-world character suggestion as well as the dreamworld suggestion? It's okay if you don't.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

^^^ I'm brute force sending all of the keys today. It may take a while, but you'll get it soon enough. :)

You should have it by now? Check your humble account maybe. They're on weird business hours.

I you've finished sending them, I haven't gotten it. I'm on Humble, under my usual email address.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ratpick posted:

If you preordered through Humble the email you got confirming your order should have a link to your personal download page.

I backed via Paypal during the Kickstarter. The Humble Store talk confused me.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 11, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Repost for new page - I don't have my key yet, either. I backed via Paypal during the Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Bill Posters posted:

Same here. I never responded to the beta invite since I didn't want to spoil it.

I got a beta key too but I never used it for the same reason. I just used it and although it initially said 'Dropsy for Beta Testing', it seems to have given me the full version.

Also, I was told that some extra content, including at least one new area, is going to be added in an update. Is that still going to happen?

• Locked thread