Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Awwww yeah, got my budgeted money put aside in my steam wallet, ready to add to my growing backlog and despair over ever finding the time to play through all these ridiculously cheap games. Life is good.

LordNat posted:

Anyone think grabbing up some $1 mystery cards is a good investment?

No. Nope. Nada.

I'm fully prepared to be proven wrong but there is no way in hell I'm paying money for some mystery cards on the off-chance it will be something more than just a unique badge, and I'd be pretty pissed off if whatever Valve's gimmick for this sale might be involves having to pay cash to get at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Palpek posted:

What's your status on the Mystery Cards guys? I already got my set nice, tidy and waiting :getin:

I have none, because the only way to get them is to craft badges or buy them, and those things involve me either not making free money from the trading card system or giving somebody else free money instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VisAbsoluta posted:

Gabe coming at ya, protect ya neck.

Did everybody wash their necks like Mr. Newell asked?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TotalHell posted:

I just want to report in now and say I am glad to be going on this wonderful, expensive journey with you all.

:hfive:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I think, miraculously, I have every loving PC game I could want.

So time for Steam to surprise me with poo poo I never heard of that I must own.

And then double-surprise you when it turns out you already bought it at a previous sale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

Does steam not automatically add everything new to the bottom of the wishlist? You guys have reminded me about a whole bunch of games I should add and now I'm having to rearrange everything with the dumb drag and drop system, because I'm worried I'll win one of those top 10 wishlist games things or something like that, and get a whole bunch of cheap indie games instead of all the expensive ones I want.

It's always added things to the bottom of my wishlist for me. Just checked and it still does too.

This served as a good reminder to me to remove Total War: Rome II from my wishlist, since I picked it up on GMG a few days ago but have to wait to get the code before I can add it to Steam.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn I love these times of year. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've won the Summer Sale already, since I just picked the three Legacy of Kain games :smug:

Ports of mid-90s console games are sure to hold up beyond my nostalgia value for them, right!?! :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WetSpink posted:

Is there any way to get around Origin's regional pricing or is that not cool to talk about? want to get Sims 3 University Life for $20 but it's $50 on the NZ Store :(

Stop trying to cheapen their IP!

Origin is really terrible about their regional pricing, and EA have got their big titles locked into it, so I think you're out of luck sadly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bu.... but I wanted to buy Dishonored today.... :qq:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

What do you Bastion goons suggest for playing? M+KB or controller? Because I've got both.

I'd say controller, as I found kb/m to be problematic and gave up on the game for awhile, and now that I'm finally trying it with a controller it feels a lot more natural. That said, I believe they actually released a patch to fix the kb/m issues a little while back so.... uhhh, this post isn't very helpful, is it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Saints Row 3 wins the community vote, and new flash deals in 22 minutes, yay!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hahaha, five million users just simultaneously hit the Store refresh button.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New community choice votes are for GTAIV, Mirrors Edge and Portal 2

New flash sales are Football Manager 2013, Little Inferno, Civilization V and Duke Nukem 3D

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Flayer posted:

For that free card!

I got it, it's mine! None of you can have my.... Dead Island Riptide....? :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kater posted:

Saints Row 2 is 75% off right now too. I'm pretty certain it was at 50% previously, so it's tied to the Saints Row 3 sale.

I'm sure most people know, but people should keep in mind that SR2 - while probably the best Saints Row game so far - is also amongst the worst PC ports of all time, and even with IdolNinja's excellent Gentlemen of the Row mod it is still a terrible port.... but the game itself is fantastic in spite of that.

SR3 is also a great deal of fun and is a very good port, it just lacked a little of the neat storytelling that SR2 had.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is just brilliant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh sweet I just got my first Walking Dead card drop and... oh God no it's Lee and Clem holding hands all the memories are coming back :qq:

But seriously, buy and play this game, it's amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Come on Steam, 5 million people wanna know if Sleeping Dogs won the vote!

Edit: Awwwww yes, it did! Everybody get Sleeping Dogs!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrGreenShirt posted:

Awww yisssss, t-minus 27 minutes til I finish off my Sleeping Dogs DLC collection!

:hfive:

Time to relearn the combat all over again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RandallODim posted:

The Community has spoken and Sleepy Dogs has won! Because the Triad is all about group loyalty, I'm going to celebrate this by gifting a copy to the first five pok gai to message me on Steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/RandoAlDim/

Make sure to mention you're totally not an undercover cop.

Make sure to check whether they have pork buns in their hands. You only want to give out copies to REAL men.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BIFF! posted:

Sleeping dogs now has cards.

Hahaha oh God, so it's actually got a good extra $1-$2 discount on top of it :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey hey hey, if you don't own Bully, then buy Bully.

You'll thank me later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, loaded up Sleeping Dogs for the first time in ages, started the Year of the Snake DLC and decided to be a total badass and do a flying leap out of the car with the bomb as it drove into the harbor - but I misjudged and the car got stuck on the railing, and I couldn't get back inside it. So with 15 seconds left to get rid of the bomb, I ended up standing behind it frantically kicking it trying to force it over the side, only the for the explosion to send Wei flying backwards in pure action movie fashion.

I love this game :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Critical posted:

Is there any reason why Sleeping Dogs refuses to go fullscreen for me? It just stays in a window I can only see half of because I play on a HDTV with a wonky resolution.

Try Alt-Enter, Sleeping Dogs always causes Windows to bring up an annoying pop-under window to frantically warn me that my color settings are very slightly different oh God what should I do about this Jerusalem!?! which shifts the game into windowed mode, and hitting Alt-Enter always fixed it. I am rather annoyed that this problem is STILL going on, even if I tell Windows not to bother me with that warning again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The combat in the Arkham games is better in my opinion, as well as easier to master, but Sleeping Dogs' is still excellent and they absolutely perfectly capture the feeling of being in a Hong Kong action/martial arts movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stupid time, tick down faster!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New flash sales:

Ys I & II Chronicles
Arkham City GOTY (Get this)
Farming Simulator 2013
Garry's Mod

Community Choice votes:

Hitman Absolution 75% off
XCOM 75% off
Dark Souls 75% off

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arkham Asylum is also 75% off, not just Arkham City. It holds up very well and some would argue it is better than City (not me!) because it provides a tighter, more direct narrative than City does. It's a great game anyway, and if you haven't got it, $5 is a pretty amazing price (and I think it may be even cheaper if you're in the UK?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Massive props to Tyma for getting me Tomb Raider at a reasonable price, thanks buddy!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

err posted:

This market crash is worse than the Great Bitcoin Crash of 2012.

Could you be more specific about WHICH great bitcoin crash of 2012? :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

How's the combat in Witcher 2? I tried the first one but the combat felt too clunky and I lost interest pretty fast.

Combat in the second game is completely overhauled. It takes a little bit to get used to (and the tutorial isn't particularly good about teaching you) but once you get the hang of things it becomes a lot of fun and you'll find yourself taking apart multiple enemies with relative ease soon enough. There's also three distinct paths you can take your talents/powers down which means you can actually avoid having to get too involved in direct combat if you don't want to - laying traps and throwing bombs instead, or burning up/trapping enemies with your magical abilities, or even mentally dominating them and making them fight on your behalf.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Good enough to justify my 5 bucks. Thanks.

Check out The Witcher 2 Thread as well. It's an excellent resource for helping you with the game, even if you only read the first two posts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn the new Tomb Raider game is awesome, exactly what I was looking for. It also looks great while playing smoothly, which is nice!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

So I'm thinking of buying Lords of Football based entirely on this picture.

Should I buy it or is this picture of a drunk guy sleeping on the sidewalk not indicative of what the game really is?

Oh man this looks brilliant conceptually, but it's got a pretty mediocre metacritic score so maybe it isn't executed all that well. I love the idea of the game at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

something posted:

Hey, goons. Sit down for a second. I'd like to talk with you.

Currently, on steam, there's this game. It's a game that I never played in my life, and am intensely curious to do so. It's called System Shock 2. If you were to vote for this game, for the community choice sale, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out, goons.

I've played the game before and I own a boxed copy of it.... but I voted for it and so should everybody else, because it's an awesome game and I want to own it on Steam too. Vote for System Shock 2!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yay for System Shock 2, and my wishlist drops by another game!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hugs Boson posted:

Woke up this morning to find a gift of Universe Sandbox waiting for me. Thanks a ton, Jerusalem! :D

It was $2, I think it would have taken more effort NOT to gift it to the only person on my friends list who had it on their wishlist :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whale Cancer posted:

Is fallout new vegas all its cracked up to be? I never finished fallout 3.

FNV is absolutely loving amazing and has the best DLC of any recent modern RPG. I put 130+ hours into that game and I'm on the low end of the scale, people have put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into that game and keep coming back for more. I enjoyed Fallout 3 okay but after pushing myself through the main storyline I never felt any desire to replay it, whereas the only thing keeping me from burrowing further into New Vegas is my growing backlog of other games. It's a great, great, great game. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The only people I know who like Fallout 3 the best are people who started with it. The writing/plot is godawful and there are a lot of dumb gameplay and balance decisions that get fixed in New Vegas.

Fallout 3 was my first Fallout (I could never get into 1 & 2 despite my best efforts, turn-based combat annoys me to no end) and I still found New Vegas a far, far superior game. It's just better. I do think Fallout 3 is a pretty good/okay game, it just doesn't hold a candle to New Vegas.