Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I've owned Steam for a couple of years, but it's only been in the past 3-4 months that I've started playing PC games more than my console. I remember the winter sale from this past year, but it was more of a "check every once in a while" rather than a daily habit of following sales.

This year I've been eagerly anticipating the summer sale (like we all are) and over the past couple weeks I've been adding items to my wishlist. During the Steam sale, how are you alerted when a game from your wishlist is on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Rainier Wolfcastle posted:

Yeah like Hogo Fogo said above, it's spotty at best. I'd check as often as possible and even on your cellphone's Steam App/SA App.

Okay, thanks for the help (and Hogo Fogo). I'll just make sure to keep an eye out for those games.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Acquire Currency! posted:

Are any if the BL2 dlc campaigns good? I'll admit I enjoyed the gently caress out of the game.

I enjoyed Captain Scarlett's campaign, Mr. Torque's Campaign was my favorite, and while I'm not far into Big Game Hunt, it's been my least favorite. I haven't touched the new one (I find the Tina character tedious to listen to)

I loved Borderlands 2, so any DLC with a new story/weapons/etc is good enough for me to play through despite their flaws.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Bob A Feet posted:

Easily worth that. Very huge game.

I have no friends either, can I have friends please :ohdear:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978544880

I sent you and Critical a friend request because I'm in the "Have no Steam friends" club :hfive:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

thegloaming posted:

The real metagame of the Steam Sale is avoiding extraneous purchases! There ought be badges for thriftiness and fiscal responsibility.

But where's the fun in that. I don't think you can call it a Steam sale without a couple of regret purchases

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Does anybody want a copy of the first Torchlight game? I forgot I had an extra copy when I bought Torchlight 2.

I'm using the 'Goon Pay it Forward' method (if that is such a thing), so no need for anything in return.

Edit: Game redeemed.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Inverse posted:

I would love it.

Sounds good. What's your steam id?

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Bremen posted:

If you have any interest in games that involve more than shooting zombies, buy Kerbal Space Program.

KSP - Build Fly Dream Trailer

I watched a Giant Bomb video a while ago with Kerbal, and they tried to go to the moon and I was like, "oh that's seems neat.'

I didn't know you could (try to) go to other planets and it has mod support :stare:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Bremen posted:

I'm currently using a mod that adds a resource called Kethane so you can set up mining bases to make fuel on other planets, a mod that adds a campaign mode where you have a budget and make money by completing various missions, and a mod that adds pseudo-multiplayer (the ships can't interact, but you can watch others play). The mod scene for KSP is pretty incredible.

Thanks for the info. You just sold me on it :hfive:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Lord Dekks posted:

If you've played any of the Diablo games then you know what to expect, I personally found it OK, all the loot you get is only a slight upgrade than an item you were using (in my experience playing at least) so without the satisfaction of getting a massive upgrade like in say Diablo or Borderlands it all felt a bit too samey just spamming the same main attack over and over.

If you can get it on sale then its alright as a fun diversion but didn't find it amazing myself, that said one of my friends LOVES it and thinks its better than the Diablo series.

I can see where you're coming from, but personally I loved it. It's a great action-RPG, the loot is fun to collect, and you get a pet to help you fight/sell stuff. The mod scene also opened up a couple months ago so we should start to get some great add-ons (and there are some good ones out there now)

It's worth it, especially if it goes to 75% off

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Blankspot posted:

So excited Kerbal went on sale today. Knew it would eventually during the sale but sooner the better. Have friends coming over and totally going to alternate between drunken space shipping and surgery. Also maybe some medieval screaming. Now Monaco needs an extra sale and I will have picked up most of my original top 5 going into the sale.
Vote for Gunpoint if you haven't yet. Thanks.

Monaco is my number 1 game going in to the sale. It's been testing the rule of "don't buy a game until its had its daily deal/community choice"

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

TotalHell posted:

I've realized that the Steam Summer Sale makes me giddy for 1pm EST to arrive every day.

What the hell is wrong with me.

I love when 12:30 rolls around because then when know what won community choice. It's like an appetizer to the 1 pm sale.

Also it means we get to vote again and earn more trading cards

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Trickyrive posted:

Welp, Natural Selection 2 won, which is still a good choice.

Monaco only got 26% :stare:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

kevin mung posted:

I don't think I could recommend that game unless you played it when you are a kid. The interface looks like poo poo, the game looks like poo poo. It's a great game, but if you are worried about age the game REALLY shows it. Doesn't hold up nearly as well as something like SC1 does.

Thanks for the tip. Bummer it's a poor game.

I had it in my cart (I enjoyed Age of Empires of III), but that just means more funds to distribute elsewhere :getin:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Lamacq posted:

Can I ask why your av is "Georgetown"?

No reason really. When I registered way back when I couldn't think of anything to put under title so I just put 'Georgetown' because I liked their basketball program when I was a kid.

Also, this has been my favorite Daily Deal so far. Steam crushed it today

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Less than 30 minutes till we all buy games we're never going to play

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I know I'm late to the part but I picked up Sleepy Dogs thanks to the sale, and man you guys aren't kidding, the game is really, really good.

It's like someone took the Batman Arkham combat and gave it a mature rating, then put in a Grand Theft Auto style open world structure, and then set it in an awesome Hong Kong environment.

Unfortunately I now feel like I need to buy the DLC to get as much of this game as possible, especially since one is apparently a Kung-Fu tournament or something? Curse you Steam sale :negative:

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Bob A Feet posted:

Is football manager fun at all? I know nothing about football/soccer (AMERICA) but its cheap :( Would any of you recommend it to someone who knows nothing about the sport? Can I get a real talk review?

I was getting into soccer a few months ago and took a shot on football manager. It's got a steep learning curve someone who doesn't know much, if anything, about soccer (like myself during the time). It took me a long, long time to finally understand it and even now I still feel there's a lot I'm missing out on.

With that said, it's my favorite and most played game on Steam and is the best sports management sim on the market.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

ephori posted:

Alan Wake is fantastic. Play it on easy because the story is cool and the visuals are great but the combat is tedious. I also recommend taking breaks between episodes to really get the most out of it.

For me, Alan Wake is the typical Steam sale 'buy/not buy' dilemma for me. I know I'm probably never going to play it any time soon, and yet the Collectors Edition is so tempting at $3.49

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Dorroile posted:

Yeah, the actual sales this time around vary from "okay" to "eeeeeh". I guess it's more about cards than discounts now.

You guys are right in that some of the sales have been a bit underwhelming.

On the other hand, I've spent $84 dollars so far for 15 new games. That's about $5.50 per game. Not too bad (And that includes games like Tomb Raider, Dishonored, and Sleeping Dogs)

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Palpek posted:

Anyway guys the current deal: LEGO: Lord of the Rings is pretty cool.

It's cute, witty, polished and looks absolutely gorgeous:

A LotR fan will find tons of small jokes here and it's just a blast to play. It's the second generation of LEGO games too which means the gameplay is more varied and complex than the early LEGO games (Star Wars).

I'm actually holding out a small, sliver of hope that Lego Batman 2 will get a flash sale.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I keep forgetting that we still have 5 days left of the sale. I wonder what Steam has in store for the last day or two

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Duke Chin posted:

:siren: I swear to god I am not buying anymore more loving games!!! :siren:

...I swear.

:homebrew:

I said the same thing. And then another Daily Deal starts at 1 pm est and I give in again.

Also, what's marketing speak for getting customers to check back in every day? I remember reading something about the psychology of games

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Tortolia posted:

Just a note about Saints Row 3: If you don't have it yet but were interested in SR4 (go watch some trailers and you will probably be interested in SR4), you get a 10%/5$ discount on a SR4 preorder with SR3 on your account.

So you can effectively get SR3 for free now (and the DLC for under 3 bucks) and SR4 with preorder goodies at launch.

That's awesome. I just picked up Saints Row 3 tonight. Thanks for the heads up

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Why won't you put Monaco on a daily deal, Steam? :argh:

Although I hear it's worth it whatever the price, so 33% off is still a good deal

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Chris Christie posted:

Thanks for the replies re: X-COM.

Gonna buy it.

drat this Steam Sale. Already spent $70 I don't have. And I've haven't touched any of the games yet other than NBA 2K13, which is fantastic and a huge improvement over the last one I tried, NBA 2K11.

I haven't enjoyed a basketball game this much since EA's "Live" series was still actually good (and still actually produced).

Anyone who likes sports games should get 2k13 if they run a last chance sale on it.

Just to add to NBA 2k13, to me it has the best career/dynasty mode outside of a sports management sim. The way the game handles scouting, the NBA lottery, draft, free agency, and contracts is great. It's realistic and since you usually only have 12-13 players on your roster, they're all easy to manage.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Leper Residue posted:

This and Rogue Legacy is pretty much the only things I've been waiting for this sale. So glad.

So when do we start the "Monaco Multi-player Thread"? Been looking forward to playing this with other Goons

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

miscellaneous14 posted:

After this sale, the Monaco devs are probably gonna wonder why they bothered porting it to XBLA at all.

I'd love to see the sales boost the game got today when the sale went live

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Jordan7hm posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 vs Brotherhood. I've never played an AC game before. Which should I start with?

If you have both, start with 2. The second game laid the ground work, and Brotherhood made everything better

If you have to pick one, play Brotherhood

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Logan 5 posted:

I want FTL to win just so this guy can get it and play it. Every goon needs to own FTL.

While FTL is awesome, and so is Hotline Miami, I voted for Recettear. It seems like a neat Harvest Moon-type game and I already own the other two.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Lone Goat posted:

Recettear is a cross between A Link to the Past and Lemonade Stand, and was translated by goons. Vote for and get this game.

Sounds like a good game, I love those sim/shop style games. Doesn't hurt that the sale gives it a nice barrier to entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Grawl posted:

Probably asked before, but this thread moves faster than the money I'm losing. Any hidden gems I (may have) missed?

While I've never played it, I hear a lot of good things about Cart Life. I'm planning on picking it up when I make my final sale purchases, and its only $1.99