Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I saw earlier on that stream that a demon was able to give more than one whisper skill to Flynn. Should that have happened or is it up to your digression to choose how many can be transferred?

Also, is it like Pokemon where Flynn can only know x amount of skills or do they go to an unassigned skill bank when he becomes full up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

I saw earlier on that stream that a demon was able to give more than one whisper skill to Flynn. Should that have happened or is it up to your digression to choose how many can be transferred?

Also, is it like Pokemon where Flynn can only know x amount of skills or do they go to an unassigned skill bank when he becomes full up?

You can transfer as many as you want. You don't have to transfer any if you don't want.

Flynn can only know a certain number of skills. You unlock extra skill slots for yourself or your demon through buying Apps. If you're full up you have to overwrite an existing skill. You also can't learn passive skills. (i.e: No Anti-Ice, no Endure, ect) only active skills. You can find armor and accessories that fill this niche instead.

There is an exception. Any time you already know a skill and learn it again, you'll power up that skill. So if you have Zio and learn Zio again, your Zio becomes Zio+1. Each + will either increase the spell's power or reduce its SP cost by 1. The maximum + depends on the skill. Buffs, for example, only go up to +3 and only reduce SP cost. Most elemental spells go up to +8 and can get both damage and SP bonuses.

Evil Canadian posted:

Now for hardmode, is it made with NG+ in mind? Or if you just NG+ with all your old stuff, will you completely steam roll it?

I haven't gone through Hard Mode entirely but from what I've played, having all your stuff would at very least severely blunt the difficulty for the earlier parts of the game. If you want to really be challenged, do a Fresh NG+ and don't transfer over a spotpass demon.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 13, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Minor gripe, but while I generally like the protraits, some of them can be...iffy (:byodood: Navarre :byodood: )

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Minor gripe, but while I generally like the protraits, some of them can be...iffy (:byodood: Navarre :byodood: )

Navarre's Draco Malfoy face is the funniest loving thing to me. He's just making that expression 24/7.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Just got the game, can't wait to die repeatedly!

When it comes to character builds this time around, is it better to go all-in on a few choice stats, or just emphasize a few and toss some points into other ones every once in a while?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

There is an exception. Any time you already know a skill and learn it again, you'll power up that skill. So if you have Zio and learn Zio again, your Zio becomes Zio+1. Each + will either increase the spell's power or reduce its SP cost by 1. The maximum + depends on the skill. Buffs, for example, only go up to +3 and only reduce SP cost. Most elemental spells go up to +8 and can get both damage and SP bonuses.

If I spend time leveling up a skill, then overwrite it with something else, then later on re-learn the first skill, will it come back at the level I previously knew it at, or will I have to power it up from scratch again?

Like for example, say I learned Zio, and got it up to +4 before overwriting it with something else. Later on I decide I want Zio back and relearn it; does it come back at +4 or back at its base level?

Knowing Atlus, I'd guess the latter, but I'd like to be sure.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

If I spend time leveling up a skill, then overwrite it with something else, then later on re-learn the first skill, will it come back at the level I previously knew it at, or will I have to power it up from scratch again?

Like for example, say I learned Zio, and got it up to +4 before overwriting it with something else. Later on I decide I want Zio back and relearn it; does it come back at +4 or back at its base level?

Knowing Atlus, I'd guess the latter, but I'd like to be sure.

You'll have to relearn it from scratch. It's actually not that bad once you get further in--if you max out (or nearly max out) a demon and then save it to your compendium, you can learn the skill, boot it out of your party, then resummon it from your compendium, level it, then rinse and repeat.

Of course this can get pricey at the higher levels so you'll want to do this in moderation.

Neeksy posted:

When it comes to character builds this time around, is it better to go all-in on a few choice stats, or just emphasize a few and toss some points into other ones every once in a while?

Either's viable, depends on your build. I did pretty much straight even distribution and was fine the whole game.

ed: Though I guess it would be rough if you threw everything in Speed and/or Luck since you'd then have no offensive capability.

I'd say go either balanced or Skill > Speed > Luck if you want a physical build (Skill is more important than Power for phys or gun skills) or Magic > Luck > Speed if you want a magic build.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 13, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

I feel like it would be better to go all-in on one or two stats. If you go in on Magic, I don't think you really need Str or Dex but you could benefit from some Agility. My general distribution is 3Ma/2Ag and I was pretty happy with that. I'm trying a 3Dex/2Ag build for my gunslinger playthrough.

Although there are downsides to that. The Neutral path, at bare minimum, has insanely powerful gear that is locked behind stat doors. I believe they require 100 in a specific stat (Luck, Strength and I am fairly sure Magic.) Incredibly good weapons are hidden behind those doors so you'd really want to boost stats beyond a certain level. If you want to do a Neutral Gunslinger example, I'd invest in some Magic.

You can cover other stats to some degree with stat-boosting items. There are a metric shitload of Luck and Agi Incenses in the game. Not enough that I wouldn't invest in other stats, but enough that it can carry you a bit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 13, 2013

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Genpei Turtle posted:

Magic > Luck > Speed if you want a magic build.

What make luck more important than speed for a magic build?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kthegreat posted:

What make luck more important than speed for a magic build?

It increases the chances of magical status effects, ailments and stuff like Hama/Mudo doing their thing to the maximum effect.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It increases the chances of magical status effects, ailments and stuff like Hama/Mudo doing their thing to the maximum effect.

This, plus a few more things:

Luck decreases the chance of you getting hit with status effects. This is especially important for caster characters as in my experience getting sick has more of an effect on casters than fighters. Especially in the endgame, magic damage generally does less damage than physical attacks, so getting sick hurts more. The benefit to spells is that lots of things are weak to one element or another (practically no enemies are weak to physical attacks and not that many to guns) so you'll be hitting weak points a lot and getting extra Press Turns, which makes up for the lower damage.

Speaking of which, Luck is even more important for a caster, since it affects the chances of getting Smirking status. Since you'll be targeting weak points a lot as a caster, the added chance to get Smirking helps a lot. Smirking is the best form of defense in the game, and since casting characters tend to be a little less hardy than fighters the added defense is great.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
So would you recommend something like 3 > 2 > 1 for leveling up or some other ratio?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Speaking of which, Luck is even more important for a caster, since it affects the chances of getting Smirking status. Since you'll be targeting weak points a lot as a caster, the added chance to get Smirking helps a lot. Smirking is the best form of defense in the game, and since casting characters tend to be a little less hardy than fighters the added defense is great.

I should note that even without investing a single point into Luck, I was still getting Smirking pretty much every round I hit a weak point. (Either the first time or the second time my protagonist hit it.) The rest is completely true though, Sick is a pain in the rear end status.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I should note that even without investing a single point into Luck, I was still getting Smirking pretty much every round I hit a weak point. (Either the first time or the second time my protagonist hit it.) The rest is completely true though, Sick is a pain in the rear end status.

You ought to see how often a character with high Luck Smirks. It's true that you'll still get it a lot even without putting stuff into Luck but you'll get it every. single. time. with it high. Also you'll get more criticals with high Luck as well (which is why it's good for a physical character too)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whoever mentioned the sprites being well-animated wasn't joking. These are amazing. Death animations, especially: using a physical skill chops their silhouette into two bloody pieces and being frozen smashes them to ice cubes.

The interface is extremely clean with a lot of information that's aesthetically pleasing to the eye. There's also sort of a quasi-retro feel to some elements, like the press turn icon being little Space Invaders-like icons for demons.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Speedball posted:

Whoever mentioned the sprites being well-animated wasn't joking. These are amazing. Death animations, especially: using a physical skill chops their silhouette into two bloody pieces and being frozen smashes them to ice cubes.

The interface is extremely clean with a lot of information that's aesthetically pleasing to the eye. There's also sort of a quasi-retro feel to some elements, like the press turn icon being little Space Invaders-like icons for demons.

Wait until you see the death animation for arrow-based skills. :unsmigghh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wait until you see the death animation for arrow-based skills. :unsmigghh:

That is seriously the best.

I really do like the death animations. They're simple but immensely satisfying.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

I swear that when some enemies die to elec you can see their skeletons, and hitting them with wind sweeps them away sometimes in a hilarious manner.

Yeah, great stuff done with the sprites as opposed to SJ's 3-frame loops. Feels very clean.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a first hour playthrough sans commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7SV4K5bEc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Strange Quark posted:

Here's a first hour playthrough sans commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7SV4K5bEc

Is that the SMT I title music playing in the first area? :allears:

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
This is going to be my first SMT (main line or any of the various spinoffs) game I've ever played. I hope I'm not getting myself in too deep. I've read a lot about the insane difficulty of the the mainline games, including this one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tx2005 posted:

This is going to be my first SMT (main line or any of the various spinoffs) game I've ever played. I hope I'm not getting myself in too deep. I've read a lot about the insane difficulty of the the mainline games, including this one.

It is overstated. You can die quickly but it is if you're not covering your weaknesses or being incautious.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It really seems like most claims of SMTs difficulty just came from people who thought they could play them like final fantasies and just mash the attack button over and over. Just be willing to adapt to each battle and it shouldn't be too bad.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I don't believe this won't be connected to the other main line of SMT games, even if it's just one thing anchoring it. I mean, we all thought the same with SMT3 until a certain plot twist and there's one of those space suits from Strange Journey wandering around.

It hurts that I have to import it though, you guys will all be playing it on Tuesday and I'll have to wait for Friday at the earliest.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It really seems like most claims of SMTs difficulty just came from people who thought they could play them like final fantasies and just mash the attack button over and over. Just be willing to adapt to each battle and it shouldn't be too bad.

It does lend itself to some heartrending moments though. Spend an hour finishing a floor of the Amala Labyrinth and suddenly BOOM! A party of Legions show up, Mudo on Demi-Fiend, game over.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Satanos posted:

I don't believe this won't be connected to the other main line of SMT games, even if it's just one thing anchoring it. I mean, we all thought the same with SMT3 until a certain plot twist and there's one of those space suits from Strange Journey wandering around.

It hurts that I have to import it though, you guys will all be playing it on Tuesday and I'll have to wait for Friday at the earliest.

It does lend itself to some heartrending moments though. Spend an hour finishing a floor of the Amala Labyrinth and suddenly BOOM! A party of Legions show up, Mudo on Demi-Fiend, game over.
Is it still game over if Flynn dies in SMT4?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Satanos posted:

...what plot twist in SMT3?

Reive posted:

No.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reive posted:

No, and you have a chance to play for a checkpoint revival using Playcoins or Macca if you do get party wiped. Also you can save anywhere.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Would you say not getting an instant game over from that makes the game easier, or did they compensate by making things stronger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Would you say not getting an instant game over from that makes the game easier, or did they compensate by making things stronger?

There is no more END stat so everything hits harder/gets hit harder just kind of by default. It's less bullshit deaths though.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

TurnipFritter posted:

...what plot twist in SMT3?

The one about Hijiri

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Even if this game ends up sucking, the $30 promotional credit enticed me to pick up Fire Emblem. I've never played or showed interest in the series before, but I'm addicted to it now.

As for Shin Megami, do you ever see your characters in battles? I know it sounds silly, but it's kind of important to me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Davos posted:

The one about Hijiri

That doesn't relate to SMT1 or SMT2 though.

Almost Smart posted:

Even if this game ends up sucking, the $30 promotional credit enticed me to pick up Fire Emblem. I've never played or showed interest in the series before, but I'm addicted to it now.

As for Shin Megami, do you ever see your characters in battles? I know it sounds silly, but it's kind of important to me.

You can see their status pictures on the bottom screen, but that's it. Sorry.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

TurnipFritter posted:

That doesn't relate to SMT1 or SMT2 though.

I think most of the SMT fan community agrees that it's pretty likely that whole scene also implies that Hijiri is the reincarnation of Aleph being eternally punished for the sin of directly defying YHVH.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Since there's no endurance stat how do you toughen up your character? Just...more hit points and better armor?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Since there's no endurance stat how do you toughen up your character? Just...more hit points and better armor?

Armor increases your max HP. Typically, leg gear gives the biggest increases, followed by headgear, and body armor giving the least (though body armor tends to give you your resistances, which is likely why it gives so little HP).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Davos posted:

I think most of the SMT fan community agrees that it's pretty likely that whole scene also implies that Hijiri is the reincarnation of Aleph being eternally punished for the sin of directly defying YHVH.

That's bullshit fanon, and what the (English, since I've never once seem it mentioned on a single Japanese site) SMT fan community thinks is irrelevant. Also the guy who originally came up with the theory later publicly recanted because he realized it was dumb and people were taking it too seriously.

And speaking as someone who played SMT4 from start to finish and did every single side quest, there is zero connection to any of the other series. Not even a hint. The Demonica suits are explained and they have nothing to do with SJ either. The mental gymnastics that would be required to connect it to any of the other games would be very impressive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

That's bullshit fanon, and what the (English, since I've never once seem it mentioned on a single Japanese site) SMT fan community thinks is irrelevant. Also the guy who originally came up with the theory later publicly recanted because he realized it was dumb and people were taking it too seriously.

And speaking as someone who played SMT4 from start to finish and did every single side quest, there is zero connection to any of the other series. Not even a hint. The Demonica suits are explained and they have nothing to do with SJ either. The mental gymnastics that would be required to connect it to any of the other games would be very impressive.

Yeah, there is no real way to connect it unless I missed something. There's a mention of Tokyo being targeted by missiles, but in such a way that it can't be a sequel or prequel to the existing SMTs. It's a thematic franchise iteration, not a plot sequel.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, there is no real way to connect it unless I missed something. There's a mention of Tokyo being targeted by missiles, but in such a way that it can't be a sequel or prequel to the existing SMTs. It's a thematic franchise iteration, not a plot sequel.

That particular plot point is gone over in the final DLC which even further cements the lack of connection. That DLC even explains goes so far as to discount the possibility of "alternate timelines" which is always a favorite when fans of any series/show/what have you try to grasp at straws to make connections.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Oh man, I love the cultural references in the game early on. The manga Isebeau describes reading is the very famous Rose of Versailles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there any circumstances that make low hit/high crit skills like Critical Wave viable? Or at least elevates it above "worst than useless"? For Critical Wave, I could see it MAYBE being useful if there are a lot of enemies...

• Locked thread