Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any circumstances that make low hit/high crit skills like Critical Wave viable? Or at least elevates it above "worst than useless"? For Critical Wave, I could see it MAYBE being useful if there are a lot of enemies...

On demons with high Speed they're pretty good--they'll hit more often than not unless you're facing an uber-boss. End-game I used Mortal Jihad quite a lot on my Physical-type demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any circumstances that make low hit/high crit skills like Critical Wave viable? Or at least elevates it above "worst than useless"? For Critical Wave, I could see it MAYBE being useful if there are a lot of enemies...

With higher Agility (or proper buffs) they're actually pretty accurate, and Criticals are one of the few assured ways to get extra Press Turns.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not including the amount of time needed to grind to fight the DLC superbosses, about how long would you say a single playthrough would take? I'm guessing like 20 hours?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not including the amount of time needed to grind to fight the DLC superbosses, about how long would you say a single playthrough would take? I'm guessing like 20 hours?

Closer to 40, I'd say, as long as you're actually doing sidequests. (And at least one ending requires you to do a bunch of sidequests.) I'd say 30-40 is probably the likely length for a lot of people.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It depends how completionist you want to go. If you do everything (and I mean everything) it will take quite some time. Finishing all 100+ side quests and fusing and maxing every demon took me a hair over 100 hours. According to my playlog 24:05 of that was spent in the fusing application minmaxing my demons though, and I'm pretty sure there were at least a few times I left the 3DS open while I went off to do something else so take all that with a grain of salt.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demons don't drop money, unless there's an App for that later. So does that mean that Negotiate is the only way to regularly make money?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

Demons don't drop money, unless there's an App for that later. So does that mean that Negotiate is the only way to regularly make money?

There are respawning relics you can sell, and you can complete recurring missions for money. It's mentioned in the OP.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think there was an app for shaking down demons for money.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Taking Lucifer's Lunch Money? There is an app for that.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How hard is it to take the Neutral path on your first playthrough? Is it worth it? Without spoiler how is the Neutral ending anyway? Usually in SMT games, the Neutral path is the least insane.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Neo_Crimson posted:

How hard is it to take the Neutral path on your first playthrough? Is it worth it? Without spoiler how is the Neutral ending anyway? Usually in SMT games, the Neutral path is the least insane.

Also usually features the most murder. Neither heaven nor hell--only my fist!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Two days! Cannot loving wait!

Have I beaten 3 FES or Devil Survivor Overclocked yet? Nope! But I want that sweet sweet pre-order version. And my $30 Nintendo Shop balance.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Neo_Crimson posted:

I would really love some advice as to how to stay neutral, since I'd rather do the other two on new game+ playthroughs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kthegreat posted:

I would really love some advice as to how to stay neutral, since I'd rather do the other two on new game+ playthroughs.

From what I've seen:

Stay on one side through most of the game.
There will come a very very obvious choice between Law and Chaos. Pick the opposite side.
Despite that, continue to pick mostly one side, maybe switch your choice between the two each time an option comes up.

That should keep you on a neutral path.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

From what I've seen:

Stay on one side through most of the game.
There will come a very very obvious choice between Law and Chaos. Pick the opposite side.
Despite that, continue to pick mostly one side, maybe switch your choice between the two each time an option comes up.

That should keep you on a neutral path.

So, going by that and what was stated in the OP:

My best bet would be to go Chaos most of the time (Minor decisions), then pick Law when it becomes VERY obvious (Walter vs Johnathan, or some other higher powers in conflict), am I correct?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So, going by that and what was stated in the OP:

My best bet would be to go Chaos most of the time (Minor decisions), then pick Law when it becomes VERY obvious (Walter vs Johnathan, or some other higher powers in conflict), am I correct?

What I did was side with Law 99% of the time. Most of the time this is decisions like "don't kill the guy" or whatever. Then I chose the Chaos path when it came to it, but continued to say "gently caress that" to anything that was like "killing people." In the final decision path I chose Chaos again and that put me on the Neutral path. I was locked out of the Chaos path entirely it seems, I could only go Law or Neutral.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 15, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

What I did was side with Law 99% of the time. Most of the time this is decisions like "don't kill the guy" or whatever. Then I chose the Chaos path when it came to it, but continued to say "gently caress that" to anything that was like "killing people." In the final decision path I chose Chaos again and that put me on the Neutral path.

Augh, sorry folks...

So sounds like there are other parts to where the story branches, aside from the obvious Law/Chaos/Neutral branch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Augh, sorry folks...

So sounds like there are other parts to where the story branches, aside from the obvious Law/Chaos/Neutral branch?

Yes, there is one major plot branch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think that is all I should ask for now. Sorry if I got you to reveal too much.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I think that is all I should ask for now. Sorry if I got you to reveal too much.

I don't think anything there was a major spoiler or at least one I didn't heavily obfuscate.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anything there was a major spoiler or at least one I didn't heavily obfuscate.

Oh geez, I am sorry. I thought so too, but I wanted to cut things off before they gone too far, ya know? Instead, I came off as passive aggressive.

In all seriousness, thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh geez, I am sorry. I thought so too, but I wanted to cut things off before they gone too far, ya know? Instead, I came off as passive aggressive.

In all seriousness, thanks!

It's cool! I just wanted to be sure.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just got an email from amazing that my order just shipped! I'm so excited!!!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Man, today is going to be so long and boring. I want to get to summoning demons and exploring dungeons and poo poo!

Strange Quark posted:

Here's a first hour playthrough sans commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7SV4K5bEc

Navarre's face is killing me dead every time. It's like a mixture of surprise and anger with a little hint of sadness and it is fantastic.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Holy poo poo can I not wait for this game. SMT is pretty much the only modern RPG series outside of Etrian Odyssey that doesn't feel like it's made for absolute idiots, even if it pisses me right the gently caress off sometimes. Is it true that it's only about 20-40 hours though? I was hoping from the older games and the $50 price tag it'd be a little longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo can I not wait for this game. SMT is pretty much the only modern RPG series outside of Etrian Odyssey that doesn't feel like it's made for absolute idiots, even if it pisses me right the gently caress off sometimes. Is it true that it's only about 20-40 hours though? I was hoping from the older games and the $50 price tag it'd be a little longer.

I have pretty much never gone above 45 or so hours in a SMT game unless I am specifically doing all the bonus content. Even my playthrough of P4 Golden only ran about that long. If you find yourself taking significantly longer, you probably will in this game too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 15, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ImpAtom posted:

I have pretty much never gone above 45 or so hours in a SMT game unless I am specifically doing all the bonus content. Even my playthrough of P4 Golden only ran about that long. If you find yourself taking significantly longer, you probably will in this game too.

I wouldn't say I take significantly longer, but between 45-55 is my normal time for a game clear, depending on how much grinding/extra stuff/loving around I do. I just like to take my time in RPGs, but if the length isn't from lack of content then I will be more than happy with this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

I wouldn't say I take significantly longer, but between 45-55 is my normal time for a game clear, depending on how much grinding/extra stuff/loving around I do. I just like to take my time in RPGs, but if the length isn't from lack of content then I will be more than happy with this.

No, I'd say that if there is any significant reduction in time, it's through a lack of bullshit. You don't need to grind for levels at all. You don't need to spend 20 minutes rerolling a demon to get a specific skill carried over. There are no lengthy cutscenes or periods between gameplay. There is relatively little in the way of bullshit roadblocks. (There are a few but they're relatively minor.) There's some plot points where you may have to wander a bit to trigger the next advancement of the story but that's about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So, I forgot to ask earlier, but with the extra stuff for Law/Chaos on a NG+ run, is it simply just some mini thing for a path specific piece of gear or does it add anything substantial to the overall story?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I think there was an app for shaking down demons for money.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Taking Lucifer's Lunch Money? There is an app for that.

Yeah someone on another forum mentioned that they upgraded the Fund Raiser app to level 3 and didn't have any money problems.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, I forgot to ask earlier, but with the extra stuff for Law/Chaos on a NG+ run, is it simply just some mini thing for a path specific piece of gear or does it add anything substantial to the overall story?

They're both sidequests with some nifty demons you can fight/fuse. Can't speak as to whether or not they have any extra plot stuff as I haven't seen either yet.

Also with regards to the Neutral route to add on to what ImpAtom said, you want to be careful about not going too far down one path. I did something similar to get the Neutral path (choose the opposite choice to the way I was heading for the final choice) but it's totally possible to screw yourself out of that path if you go too far.

I read the mechanics for the choices on a Japanese site after the fact and there's a ton of little choices--both side quests and the main quest--that change your alignment that you wouldn't think would. There is a 17-point window for Neutral (from -8 to 8) and the final final choice will give you either +15 Law or +5 Chaos apparently. So you can be 23 points in the Chaos direction when that plot point comes and still get Neutral, but only 13 points in the Law direction.

If you balance your choices throughout the game you'll be safest--if you go down one route too far, that's it, no Neutral for you.

Also if you want to go full-on completionist you should absolutely do the Neutral route first. You can only fight and fuse all of the Fiends on Neutral, and obnoxiously enough, you can only cash in the reward for the final DLC if you went the Neutral path as it requires a demon you'll only get on that path as a component.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah someone on another forum mentioned that they upgraded the Fund Raiser app to level 3 and didn't have any money problems.

I'm shocked to hear that. Even maxed out the Fund Raiser app is poo poo. You get a paltry amount of money for each use, even on high-level demons. You can use it over and over again, but each time you use it there's a chance that the demon will get pissed, take all its money back, and attack you. It'll fail about half the time if you try to use it twice in a row and it'll nearly always fail if you try to use it 3 times in a row. My record is 3 times in a row successfully, and I might have gotten 900 or so out of it. Considering top-level equipment costs hundreds of thousands of Makka, that'll take a while.

There are much better ways of raising cash. Dumpster diving is one, and upgrading the scouting app is another. Demons will give you more money when joining you than they would have by using fund raising.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

They're both sidequests with some nifty demons you can fight/fuse. Can't speak as to whether or not they have any extra plot stuff as I haven't seen either yet.

Also with regards to the Neutral route to add on to what ImpAtom said, you want to be careful about not going too far down one path. I did something similar to get the Neutral path (choose the opposite choice to the way I was heading for the final choice) but it's totally possible to screw yourself out of that path if you go too far.

I read the mechanics for the choices on a Japanese site after the fact and there's a ton of little choices--both side quests and the main quest--that change your alignment that you wouldn't think would. There is a 17-point window for Neutral (from -8 to 8) and the final final choice will give you either +15 Law or +5 Chaos apparently. So you can be 23 points in the Chaos direction when that plot point comes and still get Neutral, but only 13 points in the Law direction.

If you balance your choices throughout the game you'll be safest--if you go down one route too far, that's it, no Neutral for you.

Also if you want to go full-on completionist you should absolutely do the Neutral route first. You can only fight and fuse all of the Fiends on Neutral, and obnoxiously enough, you can only cash in the reward for the final DLC if you went the Neutral path as it requires a demon you'll only get on that path as a component.

I'm shocked to hear that. Even maxed out the Fund Raiser app is poo poo. You get a paltry amount of money for each use, even on high-level demons. You can use it over and over again, but each time you use it there's a chance that the demon will get pissed, take all its money back, and attack you. It'll fail about half the time if you try to use it twice in a row and it'll nearly always fail if you try to use it 3 times in a row. My record is 3 times in a row successfully, and I might have gotten 900 or so out of it. Considering top-level equipment costs hundreds of thousands of Makka, that'll take a while.

There are much better ways of raising cash. Dumpster diving is one, and upgrading the scouting app is another. Demons will give you more money when joining you than they would have by using fund raising.

Good to know!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've always enjoyed gun stuff in SMT games so what is the ideal stat layout for a gun build? Skill would be my primary, right? What should I focus on afterwards? Luck?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shlapintogan posted:

Man, today is going to be so long and boring. I want to get to summoning demons and exploring dungeons and poo poo!

Navarre's face is killing me dead every time. It's like a mixture of surprise and anger with a little hint of sadness and it is fantastic.

Auuuugh today my internet decided to crash for everyone in the house. Resetting the router does jack. Hopefully I can fix this by tomorrow!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Levantine posted:

I've always enjoyed gun stuff in SMT games so what is the ideal stat layout for a gun build? Skill would be my primary, right? What should I focus on afterwards? Luck?

Speed then Luck. Speed raises your hit/evade chance and Luck increases critical hit rate. Power also helps a little for the gun techniques as well.

Speaking of which can anyone who got the game early confirm the stat translations? In the Japanese version it was Power, Skill, Magic, Speed, and Luck.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genpei Turtle posted:

Speed then Luck. Speed raises your hit/evade chance and Luck increases critical hit rate. Power also helps a little for the gun techniques as well.

Speaking of which can anyone who got the game early confirm the stat translations? In the Japanese version it was Power, Skill, Magic, Speed, and Luck.

You can probably guess from that English screenshot in the OP, but they're Strength, Dexterity, Magic, Agility, and Luck.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 15, 2013

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

You can probably guess from that English screenshot in the OP, but they're Strength, Dexterity, Magic, Agility, and Luck.

Is that how 'skill' usually gets translated? What is Dexterity in Japanese D&D, does anyone know?

EDIT: It's 敏捷力 apparently. 'Tech' or 'Technique' would've been a better translation for the Skill attribute in SMT4 but I guess they wanted some kind of D&D analogy for the Westerners?

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 15, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Hah. Should have realized that. Wouldn't have pegged Dexterity for Skill/Technique at any rate.

ed:

NeilPerry posted:

Is that how 'skill' usually gets translated? What is Dexterity in Japanese D&D, does anyone know?

No, Dexterity in games and the like is usually kiyosa, 器用さ, instead. Agility you don't see often but is usually binshosa 敏捷さ as well.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 15, 2013

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's what dexterity means, though. It's how skilled you are at performing tasks. It usually means "tasks with your hands", but doesn't have to be. Hence terms like "mental dexterity".

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

That's what dexterity means, though. It's how skilled you are at performing tasks with your hands.

The Japanese word they used, waza, 技、has nothing to do with manual dexterity. Well, I guess it can, but it's more like "technique" in meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I clarified it. It's a perfectly fine translation.

• Locked thread