Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay, here's my thought process: Jaina plays Unstable Power, so my obvious best move is to block, because her most economical damage is out of a dodge-attack normal. Her counterplay to that is to play a throw, even though her throws are somewhat slow and she's encouraged to throw with a 10. The correct counterplay to that, in turn, is throwing as well, because it beats both sides of the card. Attacking is bad, because in the vast majority of the cases, she can just flip into either block, dodge, or even fast J if she's feeling sassy. In other words, the best you can reasonably hope to accomplish is forcing her to block, and if that happens, well, you could've thrown instead.

And that's why Knee Bash has such poor damage compared to the other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

Personally I think it's supremely bizarre that Rook's blocks still don't draw or return to hand when counterspelled. The natural way to understand a counterspell's effect would be "ignore the special ability box altogether," I would think.

And yet that's exactly how it works with Gloria's remedy. Not exactly something people would intuitively grasp without looking into it online. The more I play the game with physical cards the more little questions keep coming up about some unclear minutiae about the game's rules and interactions.

Siivola posted:

Okay, here's my thought process: Jaina plays Unstable Power, so my obvious best move is to block, because her most economical damage is out of a dodge-attack normal. Her counterplay to that is to play a throw, even though her throws are somewhat slow and she's encouraged to throw with a 10. The correct counterplay to that, in turn, is throwing as well, because it beats both sides of the card. Attacking is bad, because in the vast majority of the cases, she can just flip into either block, dodge, or even fast J if she's feeling sassy. In other words, the best you can reasonably hope to accomplish is forcing her to block, and if that happens, well, you could've thrown instead.

And that's why Knee Bash has such poor damage compared to the other options.

But why would the counterplay to Jaina throwing be doing a faster throw rather than attacking? Remember unstable power only allows her to flip her card if she reveals an attack. She can't turn the throw into a block. Any attack will beat her throws, her 6 unless it's particularly slow, and if she used a 2-5 normal you out-sped she'll have to dodge rather than going into a full combo, probably resulting in less damage for you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I, er, read good. :downs: You're absolutely right, I was thinking she could flip throws around as well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Schlub Husband posted:

But why would the counterplay to Jaina throwing be doing a faster throw rather than attacking? Remember unstable power only allows her to flip her card if she reveals an attack. She can't turn the throw into a block. Any attack will beat her throws, her 6 unless it's particularly slow, and if she used a 2-5 normal you out-sped she'll have to dodge rather than going into a full combo, probably resulting in less damage for you.
Actually, I thought a bit more about this, so I'm going to double-post like a chump and try this again because I don't think your reasoning is quite correct either.

If she plays Unstable Power and then normals 2-5, you will lose if you play any attack or throw. But unless it's the difference between life and death, her getting two Aces for hitting you is more significant than exactly how much damage she dealt off that hit. If she hits you after UP, she gets ahead in both life and cards, and that's a serious pain. You really should default to blocking if she goes all Super-Sayian, because you should absolutely try to deny her those Aces. If you succeed, it'll be that much easier to turn things around.

Now, her only counter here is throwing herself, otherwise she takes a hit herself and doesn't get those Aces. But if she hits, hey, free Aces! Now she doesn't really even have to combo, because a KD with Aces up your sleeve is pretty good a position to be.

So, an attack and a throw are both equally good choices here, since they're just as likely to win combat. Playing either is risky, however, so I absolutely agree you should play to cover your rear end. The thing is, I don't think it's the hit points you should be worrying about, but correct hand management. Instead of going for the option that results in least expected damage (a fast attack), you should use the card that you will miss the least on the next round.

This is where my bias shows: I'm most familiar with Midori, so I don't really give a hoot about a single throw card. I can run those into attacks all day long and I can still keep up. If I play a humanform special attack and it gets dodged, I'm kinda hosed. Because I have no disposable fast attacks, I might as well trust my reads and rely on my throw speed to counter her - and that leaves me (and presumably other grapplers too) vulnerable to a Knee Bash "option select".

But of course, I could just use Glimpse of the Dragon instead. :smaug:

Of course, not every character has the throws to spare. If your hand is full of attacks faster than 2.6, hey, go for it. If you mess up but force her to flip to a dodge, less damage is still less damage. But you shouldn't trade a good card next round for some extra hit points this round.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
There may be other matchups where it's good, but UP into 6 is pretty good against Rook. It beats all of his options except 4, 5, J, Q, and double A attacks, but that's a pretty ballsy callout. In the case of 5 you're also throwing away a Special Block.

Ofcourse, he can still trigger Armor if he puts out a slower attack, but that's a huge swing in resources in Jaina's favor.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 13, 2015

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

I, er, read good. :downs: You're absolutely right, I was thinking she could flip throws around as well.

She did in v1. That's probably what you're remembering.

I'm playing lots of Jaina and really enjoying the character. 5 combo dots is a lot of fun, particularly how it means she still gets 3 after throws, enough for a straight or a little "gently caress you" extra 6 before a Letter J. Also, Letter J. Also, full-pump Red Dragons or Crossfire Kicks on dodge. And having a card that rewards you once it's in discard is so sweet - perfect pump fodder, or better yet, Joker bluff. How do you guys use your Jaina 10s?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just had a good set against Bob199, and this replay was a loving tense match. I might record and commentate it but in case I don't I figured I'd just post the replay for anyone bored. I made a few really obvious misplays (and some general weird things, like just not doing extra damage when I could have after a throw) but I feel I really got my game together at the end.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Just had a good set against Bob199, and this replay was a loving tense match. I might record and commentate it but in case I don't I figured I'd just post the replay for anyone bored. I made a few really obvious misplays (and some general weird things, like just not doing extra damage when I could have after a throw) but I feel I really got my game together at the end.

Actually enjoyed this haha. Great ending :)

Thought you were lucky as hell at the end there he didn't have a joker, but then looked at his cards and he just didn't put it down :doh:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Countblanc posted:

I intended to watch this on the Yomi app but you've played too many games since then and it's off the listed replays :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bosushi! posted:

I intended to watch this on the Yomi app but you've played too many games since then and it's off the listed replays :(

Weird, I haven't played any games since that set (which was only 3 games). And yeah I guess he just gambled that I would not have the aces or something.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So, how do I obtain the Second Edition characters? I see the pack that lets me buy four of them, but I don't see a way to purchase the other 6.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

So, how do I obtain the Second Edition characters? I see the pack that lets me buy four of them, but I don't see a way to purchase the other 6.

They haven't been officially released yet. Release schedule posted here:
http://www.sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-games-announces-complete-yomi-release-schedule

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sweet, thanks. That brings up a few more questions.
1: There is something pack of revised cards out for the first ten characters. If I get that, will it cover the revisions of the rereleases of the original ten?

2: Will there be a complete second edition with all 10 characters?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Shadow225 posted:

Sweet, thanks. That brings up a few more questions.
1: There is something pack of revised cards out for the first ten characters. If I get that, will it cover the revisions of the rereleases of the original ten?

2: Will there be a complete second edition with all 10 characters?

1) Yes. The revised pack has all the necessary updates for the first edition characters

2) Highly unlikely. One of the biggest complaints about Yomi first edition was that it was too expensive so Sirlin packaged it in a way that's less daunting.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think I'm beginning to 'get' yomi, once I found Vendetta really gels with me . He's got this nice mix of jank, pressure and dumb tricks that makes the deck feel like something I'd slap together in a LCG. I really like the fact that most normal attacks each feel like tools for particular purposes, rather than just generic combo fodder.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Online Fantasy Strike, eh? I just made this:

https://pandante.neocities.org

Updated to Pandante 2.0 after a marathon of coding!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So, umm do you maintain all of the Sirlin apps? Any chance of doing a sweet Unity port of Puzzle Strike to iOS? I would :homebrew: the hell out of that, and play it pretty much non-stop for a while

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I just made the Pandante thing in my spare time. Thelo is who you're thinking of.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Pandante Kickstarter exhibition stream VODs:That last one is the real gem IMO.

Remember, the kickstarter ends Friday!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Stream is live again: http://www.twitch.tv/sirlingames

You can join too, if you can Skype! Let me know in stream chat.

Shoutouts to forums user RobustLaser on stream right now!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How does the inscribed card pack system work in Yomi? Sirlin said you'd be able to grind out the cards at no cost over time but other than getting 1 pack after 1 game when I logged in the other day I haven't noticed anything. Is there a random chance per game to score a pack or a hidden meter filling up akin to Hearthstone gold (seeing as how this seems to be pretty much just like Hearthstone in so many ways)?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

:toot:

Looks like it's :10bux: for the base ten characters. Any word on how much the other ten will be?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

SuperKlaus posted:

How does the inscribed card pack system work in Yomi? Sirlin said you'd be able to grind out the cards at no cost over time but other than getting 1 pack after 1 game when I logged in the other day I haven't noticed anything. Is there a random chance per game to score a pack or a hidden meter filling up akin to Hearthstone gold (seeing as how this seems to be pretty much just like Hearthstone in so many ways)?
It's secret.

inthesto posted:

:toot:

Looks like it's :10bux: for the base ten characters. Any word on how much the other ten will be?
$15.
Also, :10bux: is a sale price for release week.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got Yomi on Steam after watching inthesto and other people stream it a couple of times. Any goon group/list of people to play with semi-regularly? It seems that playing against the same people would make the game better.

Also, are there any flagrant errors in here? It looks like a pretty good overview of the characters.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I only checked the Midori section, but that one was alright. Nothing exciting or in-depth, but a decent introduction

I suppose I should dust off my ios version and come play with y'all.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
Just grabbed this from steam, always wanted the physical edition but seemed too expensive to justify with no idea whether or not I'd like the characters I got.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Grgmo/

I'm terrible at the game, add me if you want easy wins.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

edit: wrong thread

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, are there any flagrant errors in here? It looks like a pretty good overview of the characters.

I don't see any errors but it doesn't do more than give a cursory glimpse at their most powerful cards, and even that's pretty ehhh (lots of characters have important non-face cards and the guide doesn't seem to mention them much). Still if you don't know the game well it does a good job getting you into the general gameplan of a character and maybe helping you pick who to play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's a whole bunch of imp zone players that just got on board so there should be plenty of goon players around. We got even a small tourney up but once it's over we can probably get more people on board.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Fat Samurai posted:

Got Yomi on Steam after watching inthesto and other people stream it a couple of times. Any goon group/list of people to play with semi-regularly? It seems that playing against the same people would make the game better.

I play now, and I'm new and terrible. Name is the same in Yomi as on this forum.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dazh posted:

Just grabbed this from steam, always wanted the physical edition but seemed too expensive to justify with no idea whether or not I'd like the characters I got.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Grgmo/

I'm terrible at the game, add me if you want easy wins.

Corbeau posted:

I play now, and I'm new and terrible. Name is the same in Yomi as on this forum.

Sent you a couple of invites, I'll be playing around this time tomorrow.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I go by the name "Arghy" in Yomi. Say hi if you see me around.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unfortunately I change my steam name all the time and afaik there's no way to use a "stable" separate yomi name, but right now I'm The Anti-Teen Teen

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Countblanc posted:

Unfortunately I change my steam name all the time and afaik there's no way to use a "stable" separate yomi name, but right now I'm The Anti-Teen Teen

Oh hey, I ran into you the other day while streaming. Small world.

I currently go by Mavis Beacon Zombie Slayer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh yeah I remember you, don't really remember the match though unfortunately.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh so that was you I tossed out a combo escape against after I'd discarded both jokers :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

StashAugustine posted:

Oh so that was you I tossed out a combo escape against after I'd discarded both jokers :v:

Correct.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I made a couple Imp Zone thread posts about the EX characters since I couldn't find their abilities easily online anywhere, here's the links for anyone who wants to check them out:

Grave, Valerie, Rook, Lum, and Midori
Jaina, Setsuki, Argagarg, Geiger, and DeGrey
Quince, Bal-Bas-Beta, Menelker, Gloria, and Vendetta
Onimaru, Troq, Gwen, Zane, and Persephone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I bought Yomi on Steam, and it's pretty fun. Does anybody know what you have to do to unlock the second ten characters?

• Locked thread