Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope it's got co-op again. Had a pretty good time playing the last one online with goons.

e: boy a space game with the crazy anime plot and fun Ace Combat gameplay would be fun.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Yo Skwerl, if you want to expand the OP to include the whole series, I would be more than happy to do writeups for the portable games. There's also my blurb about the first game in the other thread.

A remake of 3 would be wonderful. The version we got in the US is far too stripped down, and our version's story is too barebones to justify its existence.

As for spAce Combat, the closest thing we have to that right now is Strike Suit Zero/Infinity. They're both great, but they don't quite scratch the itch.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Astro Creep posted:

Yo Skwerl, if you want to expand the OP to include the whole series, I would be more than happy to do writeups for the portable games. There's also my blurb about the first game in the other thread.

A remake of 3 would be wonderful. The version we got in the US is far too stripped down, and our version's story is too barebones to justify its existence.

As for spAce Combat, the closest thing we have to that right now is Strike Suit Zero/Infinity. They're both great, but they don't quite scratch the itch.

you're more than welcomed! I am just a little bit worried about if the OP will reach max length or whatnot. Otherwise, feel free to join us!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Space Ace Combat would be the closest thing to a proper Macross game I'd probably get in my lifetime, so I support that 100%.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Psion posted:

Space Ace Combat would be the closest thing to a proper Macross game I'd probably get in my lifetime, so I support that 100%.

only if I can buy DLC that lets im@s girl do the singing for me :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Wait. Thinking about remakes, maybe this new Ace Combat is an Ace Combat 2 Remake :tinfoil:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwerl posted:

only if I can buy DLC that lets im@s girl do the singing for me :colbert:

sing along karaoke and dance for extra missiles and infinite boost
Kinect support confirmed

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

OneDeadman posted:

Wait. Thinking about remakes, maybe this new Ace Combat is an Ace Combat 2 Remake :tinfoil:

But...we've already got that.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Skwerl posted:

something fun for you guys:

Now if you wonder what this is.... this is a garage kit created by AC series head artist/art director 20 years ago. According to him, arkbird and stonehenge are strongly inspired by this design.

God, I love 80s to early 90s era Japanese Sci-Fi aerospace designs.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Psion posted:

I hear the Macross game that recently came out for PS3 is actually legit good. You know, if you want to pay about $100 USD to import it. which I'm probably about to do

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Fair enough, I guess I jump on the AC4 Prequel Sequel train because I really want a dogfight in the midst of Ulysees falling and fragmenting. (gently caress if I know the physics that would be needed for this to be an actual thing)

Typical Pubbie posted:

God, I love 80s to early 90s era Japanese Sci-Fi aerospace designs.

Sci-Fi Plane Designs are the best :swoon:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

As long as it does that typical Ace Combat thing where it starts incredibly normal and realistic, and gradually ramps up to crazy lasers and nukes I'll be happy.

Most memorable mission for me was in 4, when that sub was launching huge explosives that you had to be above 5000 feet to avoid. Screaming down towards it, dropping bombs, fending off fighters, and climbing frantically, only to do it all over, was fantastic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Hope it's got co-op again. Had a pretty good time playing the last one online with goons.

e: boy a space game with the crazy anime plot and fun Ace Combat gameplay would be fun.
If you have a 360 check out Project Sylpheed. It is pretty much spAce Combat and it is fan loving tastic. Also I like Macross 30 a lot, but if you want space anime AC you're better off getting your hands on Sega AM2's SDF-1 game back on the PS2. It is straight up Macross Ace Combat where 30 is more like Skyrim with giant robots.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

As long as it does that typical Ace Combat thing where it starts incredibly normal and realistic, and gradually ramps up to crazy lasers and nukes I'll be happy.

Most memorable mission for me was in 4, when that sub was launching huge explosives that you had to be above 5000 feet to avoid. Screaming down towards it, dropping bombs, fending off fighters, and climbing frantically, only to do it all over, was fantastic.

That was in 5? The Scinfaxi-class subs.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Always happy to find an excuse to post the trailer for Ace Combat Zero. It is easily one of my favorite of any game period, even if I'm more partial to Ace Combat 5 in the end.

This is the best quality I could find and sorry for the IGN watermark; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRRH1DMpPM

It blew my mind when it came out. I was so hyped for the game. The music, the movie scenes, the incredible in-game footage of dog fights, all of it just works to get you excited. I really should get around to playing those games again. I've always wondered if Ace Combat 4,5,0 would get a HD re-lease like so many PS2 classics. I adore the Jak&Daxter one and would love to see the series get the attention. Probably not with all the new console buzz but It would be nice.

Famethrowa posted:

Agreed. The Razgriz and SOLG missions were the high water mark for me in the series.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Weissritter posted:

That was in 5? The Scinfaxi-class subs.

Was it? I can't keep them straight especially since they stopped using numbers :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Famethrowa posted:

Was it? I can't keep them straight especially since they stopped using numbers :(
5 had the super subs with the missiles you had to avoid by flying high. 4 had the super artillery battery that you had to avoid by flying low.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Crazy Ferret posted:

Always happy to find an excuse to post the trailer for Ace Combat Zero. It is easily one of my favorite of any game period, even if I'm more partial to Ace Combat 5 in the end.

This is the best quality I could find and sorry for the IGN watermark; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRRH1DMpPM

It blew my mind when it came out. I was so hyped for the game. The music, the movie scenes, the incredible in-game footage of dog fights, all of it just works to get you excited. I really should get around to playing those games again. I've always wondered if Ace Combat 4,5,0 would get a HD re-lease like so many PS2 classics. I adore the Jak&Daxter one and would love to see the series get the attention. Probably not with all the new console buzz but It would be nice.

Agreed. The Razgriz and SOLG missions were the high water mark for me in the series.

Ah, the SOLG mission with this playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Qkzj5bStU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

Ive gone ahead and extracted the best part of that trailer for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XAJKqRU9k

Listen, get psyched. Between the classic logo, the || on the teaser page and the unmistakable laser nuke godrays on the front end it definitely looks like we are looking at shattered skies 2. If they brought on the team that did the OST for Zero, had no bullshit non plane missions and dropped that stupid close combat thing then I will buy this so fast that Namco will have my money before it even leaves my wallet. I swear, I will break temporal laws, spit in the face of Einstein and even god himself to see that. Granted I'd rather see the Unsung War return because Razgriz for life but so long as its classic play style and I can wreck poo poo in an SU-47 I'm done.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
spAce Combat.

To dance with the angels, you need to reach the heavens, Mister!

Come on!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Arach posted:

spAce Combat.

To dance with the angels, you need to reach the heavens, Mister!

Come on!

All this means is that we will have a mission where we dodge massive gamma ray bursts from an orbital death station while blasting through a narrow canyon at 500 knots picking off AA guns before the final battle where the space station descends into the atmosphere, transforms into a massive mech with angel wings piloted by our ex wingman and has to be destroyed before it somehow generates a series of tectonic disturbances to open up the ground under the homeland.

You know, standard Ace Combat. Best poo poo ever.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

tooooooo bad posted:

Like homeless snail said, look for Project Sylpheed on the 360, is full of dumb and forgettable anime, but the actual game parts are pretty fun. Plus with the right weapon loadout, you can easily cheese the poo poo out of annoying missions. What is really fun is at start, capital ships take some effort to take down, you need multiple passes to disable sheilds, take out weapons etc. By the end of the game, you cut through them as fast as fodder fighter squadrons.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
How anime is Project Sylpheed, you might ask. For one, the main character's name is Katana. I'm pretty sure that isn't his callsign. His actual name is Katana. But yes, the game is a lot of fun.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Spaceman Future! posted:

All this means is that we will have a mission where we dodge massive gamma ray bursts from an orbital death station while blasting through a narrow canyon at 500 knots picking off AA guns before the final battle where the space station descends into the atmosphere, transforms into a massive mech with angel wings piloted by our ex wingman and has to be destroyed before it somehow generates a series of tectonic disturbances to open up the ground under the homeland.

You know, standard Ace Combat. Best poo poo ever.

Every space mission in Ace Combats have been loving amazing so yes.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

PunkBoy posted:

How anime is Project Sylpheed, you might ask. For one, the main character's name is Katana. I'm pretty sure that isn't his callsign. His actual name is Katana. But yes, the game is a lot of fun.

I wouldn't even say it's too "anime". I think Project Sylpheed is probably better described as "too Squeenix".

:shepface:

Aww yeah, lookit that lovely hair style and those barely above Poser quality character models.

I'd love something that looked more like this though:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Authorman posted:

While they are at it they need to do a HD remaster of the Ps2 Ace Combats.

I doubt that'll happen mostly because of the reason that Japanese devs never seem to save their old assets once the game is finished. I mean if you look at MGS Peace Walker they had to re-record stuff from MGS3 because they didn't have the stuff saved. Not to mention the Silent Hill HD re-release had to redo a lot of stuff and then the Kingdom Hearts HD version was in the news recently as well saying they had lost most of their stuff and had to rebuild it.
As much as I'd love for it to be true myself I doubt it'll happen.

Psion posted:

And with 100% less chance of Harmony Gold going ape poo poo over it.
Seriously, gently caress HG.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

I doubt that'll happen mostly because of the reason that Japanese devs never seem to save their old assets once the game is finished. I mean if you look at MGS Peace Walker they had to re-record stuff from MGS3 because they didn't have the stuff saved. Not to mention the Silent Hill HD re-release had to redo a lot of stuff and then the Kingdom Hearts HD version was in the news recently as well saying they had lost most of their stuff and had to rebuild it.
As much as I'd love for it to be true myself I doubt it'll happen.

And with 100% less chance of Harmony Gold going ape poo poo over it.
Seriously, gently caress HG.

Don't forget FFVII, they had to put together custom scripting and basically inject their new features on top of the original pc release for the re-release because SE didn't keep any of the source. You would think someone would have burned that poo poo to a series of disks or something just in case but nooooooooope. Hell, that's one of SE's most profitable games of all time and they don't have the assets.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I mentioned it in the other thread, but man, I really hope they give us just a massive amount of planes to fly. The best part of the PS2 Ace Combat games was bounding around at stupid speeds in the MiG-31, or playing really hard missions on Ace difficulty in the MiG-21. AC6 having such a limited selection of planes and a complete absence of older, shittier planes really ruined it for me. Missions can be whatever (as long as it isn't like that stupid balloon mission from AC04 or any of the scripted poo poo from AH), I just want to fly rickety Soviet poo poo all day.

Also, bring back having like 5 or 6 schemes for the planes. There were some goddamn awesome colors for the MiG-31 and F-4 and whatnot.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 13, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cannot Find Server posted:

Also, bring back having like 5 or 6 schemes for the planes. There were some goddamn awesome colors for the MiG-31 and F-4 and whatnot.

I like being able to paint up my own aircraft but having some more presets would be nice. Unfortunately for both of us, Namco has learned that selling paint presets is pretty profitable.

Also, AH is $9 on Steam today.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I played AH for a bit and I have never seen a game that goes out of it's way to constantly break it's momentum. I don't know how they were planning on hooking anyone in with the mission after the tutorial being the slowest turret gunning mission in history. And then the Ac-130 mission was okay, but really didn't convince me to keep playing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Like I posted, they frontloaded all the terrible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RZnEnN2eI

here's a random three minutes out of mission 9. It's hard to believe, but AH turns into a real Ace Combat game .... eventually. Namco :rolleyes:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope this is a PS4/Xbone/PC game, so it can have both AH's really cool plane destruction and 6's gigantic battles.

Then add in 0's music and a campaign as long as 5's and make it the perfect game. :swoon:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psion posted:

Like I posted, they frontloaded all the terrible stuff.

I don't get it, all I'm seeing here is the loving abysmal rail shooter mechanic.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Sindai posted:

I hope this is a PS4/Xbone/PC game, so it can have both AH's really cool plane destruction and 6's gigantic battles.

Then add in 0's music and a campaign as long as 5's and make it the perfect game. :swoon:

Have a Mobius 1 skin or boss battle then it will be perfect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'd actually also prefer 4's style of cutscenes over the rendered ones of the more recent games, but there's a snowball's chance of that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And throw in as many variants of planes as 5. I want GT/Forza amounts of plane selection. Also the thing I never understood disappearing after 4: momentum. If I let off the throttle, the plane shouldn't immediately slam back to cruising speed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Deeters posted:

And throw in as many variants of planes as 5. I want GT/Forza amounts of plane selection. Also the thing I never understood disappearing after 4: momentum. If I let off the throttle, the plane shouldn't immediately slam back to cruising speed.
Yeah after 4 the physics became super arcadey (well, even more so). It's especially bad in 5, Zero, and AH, where planes will go from maximum speed to stalling in like a second. 6 was a lot closer to 4 in regards to acceleration and deceleration but it was still a lot faster and you could just high-G in a tight circle to lose speed fast.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Sindai posted:

I'd actually also prefer 4's style of cutscenes over the rendered ones of the more recent games, but there's a snowball's chance of that.

They're kind of an established thing in the Strangereal games, though. Considering how far AH deviated from the formula, and how lukewarm the reception was, I don't think it's too far-fetched for them to go back to the old style.

EDIT: Oh, wow, I could have sworn 5 and 0 had them too. Nevermind :v: I haven't played those two in a looong time. So maybe not such a "traditional" thing, but if it does end up being a sequel to 4, I could see them going back.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 14, 2013

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Giggily posted:

I don't get it, all I'm seeing here is the loving abysmal rail shooter mechanic.

I think the thing I can stand least about it is that your like 40m from the plane in front of you and your gun cone is loving TERRIBLE, often requiring you to fire missiles at a target that is just stupid close.

I remember in 5 where you actually had to get good at using the gun at normal combat ranges and angles because you could run out of missiles halfway through most missions if you were sloppy. Hell, I loved in 4 where you had to run to the end of the map to reload if you wanted to S out some missions, like the Oil Refinery/Platforms one.

I really wish my copy of AC5 wasn't ruined right now :negative:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
There was a game for the PS2 I used to scratch my Ace Combat itch once upon a time called Airforce Delta Strike. It's basically the story of Gundam but with airplanes and it didn't play as well as AC but it did some neat things. You could fly propeller aircraft all the way through awesome space age aircraft and the final missions actually took place in space with space physics. It was pretty neat but also hard as balls. It also had some neat mission set pieces like shooting parachuting tanks before they hit the ground to pound your troops or a mission where a space elevator takes a hit and you have to destroy the debris in the high atmosphere before it crashes to earth.

That said, overall it's not an amazing game but definitely worth a look for how different it was for its time.

• Locked thread