Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question for those who completed it: after you complete the main story, can you go back and pick up any fruit you missed?

Edit: While I think fruit hunting is a brilliant reconciliation of allowing freedom while imposing a time limit, I have to admit, I miss treasure hunting.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Question for those who completed it: after you complete the main story, can you go back and pick up any fruit you missed?

Edit: While I think fruit hunting is a brilliant reconciliation of allowing freedom while imposing a time limit, I have to admit, I miss treasure hunting.

To collect missing fruit you have to go back in time at least one day after you win.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That fifth boss was kicking my rear end horribly until I figured out the trick.

Throw a ton of flying pikmin at it after knocking it down, the tongue can't get them because they're hovering above it. Their lower damage is offset by more time doing damage because you don't have to call them back.

Edit: Hahaha tied-up Louie just floating around the room, shouting for food. That makes no sense but it's hilarious

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 4, 2013

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Just completed the game.

Something like 45/66 fruits. I swear I remember seeing the final boss in the first game...still, it's sort of creepy. Do like how it wasn't just "throw all the pikmin at it when it's weakpoint is showing" and was a bit different. Reminded me a bit of the nectar, to be honest.

Credits were too cute for me to handle.:3: And then someone crashed on the planet again, same as it ever was.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009
Welp, lost a group of about 20 pikmin. They just weren't fast enough carrying the carcass of a boss to the onion when the day ended. Watching them die was the saddest animation I've ever seen in a video game :smith:

Now I feel bad about the thirty or so that died killing the boss. Part of me wants to restart the day, but that seems like too much effort.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finally out in the US today! I've played for a few hours, beat two bosses, and collected 17 pieces of fruit. This game rules. There's already been some incredibly tricky time management and puzzles juggling between the captains and the boss fights are intense. And I don't even have the last two Pikmin types yet!

One question - how to I get the drat data log in the tundra up on the ledge with the snowman head? I can't seem to throw a captain up there and it's been driving me crazy, taunting me. Is it just a matter of I need something I don't have yet or am I missing something I can do now?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Registering my game and saw this:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Finally out in the US today! I've played for a few hours, beat two bosses, and collected 17 pieces of fruit. This game rules. There's already been some incredibly tricky time management and puzzles juggling between the captains and the boss fights are intense. And I don't even have the last two Pikmin types yet!

One question - how to I get the drat data log in the tundra up on the ledge with the snowman head? I can't seem to throw a captain up there and it's been driving me crazy, taunting me. Is it just a matter of I need something I don't have yet or am I missing something I can do now?

You can, in fact, toss a captain up there - you just need the right location and angle.

Hint: If you throw a captain directly towards the ledge, you'll never get enough height.

Solution: To the east of the landing zone, the path slopes downward slightly. If you stand next to the ledge on top of the slope and aim on top of the ledge at the bottom of the slope, the extra height from the slope allows you to just barely throw a captain high enough.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
This game rules. I've basically been playing since the moment I got home with it, and it is absolutely worth the wait. I just unlocked the fourth area, hopefully I'm pretty close to getting Blues and Pinks so I can clean up the first few areas.

I haven't reset a whole lot, except in some really bad situations, like losing a ridiculous number of Pikmin or a boss fight taking so long I can't get any of the spoils to the ship.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need some help just killed boss #3 and got the winged pikmin

I've crawled all over Twilight River and I have no idea how to get to this signal. I've gotten the fruit from the cave; I've gathered everything my pinks can grab (I think) and I'm at a loss.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Finished this up yesterday. Amazing game! Completed with 100% fruit in 32 days, but missing 2 or 3 secret memos. There were definitely many places where I could cut down on days, I do wonder what the quickest possible run will be. I finished with a little over 1000 pikmin, but I lost around 200 so I feel like a irredeemable monster.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have no idea how to get to this signal.

Head back to where you found the pink onion and break the dam.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DuFfY posted:

Head back to where you found the pink onion and break the dam.

This nailed me for at least 3 days. Also I just finished!

Oh the humanity...gently caress the final boss.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
^^Two things, how did you take a picture of the stats screen? And oh god the pikmin total deaths. It's the number of the beaaaaaaaaaast.

Also have a pretty cool looking picture I took using the captain camera-thingy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jetamo posted:

^^Two things, how did you take a picture of the stats screen? And oh god the pikmin total deaths. It's the number of the beaaaaaaaaaast.

Miiverse, just add the screenshot to your post and use the website to call it up.

And yeah I'd be kidding if I said I wasn't kinda pleased with that death count.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

njsykora posted:

Miiverse, just add the screenshot to your post and use the website to call it up.

And yeah I'd be kidding if I said I wasn't kinda pleased with that death count.

I... literally just did that, in the post I asked about it.

I couldn't figure out how you took a picture of the stats screen though. I know for ingame pictures it's just using the camera-thing(Pilot Camera?) but how did you do it for the stats screen?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This game is way too gorgeous that it's really hurting my time through. I just love walking through the environments, this looks easily better than anything I've played on my 360. I'm on Day 9 and just reunited Alph and Brittany in the snow environment. I've still got seven juice containers though, the game seems to let you take your time taking pictures and taking it all in if that's your thing.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Just got my all fruits collected done. On the release date. drat i have too much time

Well that was fun!

41 days, 700 deaths.

The good news is now I can start a new run where I don't gently caress up as much.

But still, a good game to start the series with. Maybe I'll try Pikmin 1 and 2 at some point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jetamo posted:

I... literally just did that, in the post I asked about it.

I couldn't figure out how you took a picture of the stats screen though. I know for ingame pictures it's just using the camera-thing(Pilot Camera?) but how did you do it for the stats screen?

In any game if you open Miiverse and make a new post, there's a button to the right that lets you add a screenshot of either the TV or Gamepad to the post. So you can use that to take a picture of anything in the game, you don't have to use the camera.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bushisms.txt posted:

Just got the game, just registered it, just got 400 points, thank you Club Nintendo.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

How many co-op treasure missions are there total?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The most fun I've had during this game is playing Pikmin Snap: Select where you want to go, then switch to camera mode and take pictures as it sends you there.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Welp I sure am a great Pikmin Shepard! I let a bunch of them die taking grapes to the ship by monsters, and then the majority of them die when a hippie spider lands on them! :suicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

Welp I sure am a great Pikmin Shepard! I let a bunch of them die taking grapes to the ship by monsters, and then the majority of them die when a hippie spider lands on them! :suicide:

I had a fun moment when I learned a valuable lesson about the "Go There" function - it's a good idea to actually look on the TV to make sure that the way to there is clear. I was fighting an intense battle with Brittany against some Cannon Beetle Larvae while Alph was on a leisurely trip to a new area and suddenly I realized that it's Alph talking to me about his Pikmin being in trouble not Brittany. I hastily switched over and found all my Pikmin on fire and running all over the place (a fiery blowhog had respawned since I'd killed it on an earlier day). I got there just in time to see them start dying in droves. Oops.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Thanks for posting this, I had a ton of things I hadn't surveyed so I was missing a bunch of points, after doing the surveys I wound up with more than enough to get this bag! Now I need to go through all of my games to see if I have any others I forgot to register.

Regy Rusty posted:

I had a fun moment when I learned a valuable lesson about the "Go There" function - it's a good idea to actually look on the TV to make sure that the way to there is clear. I was fighting an intense battle with Brittany against some Cannon Beetle Larvae while Alph was on a leisurely trip to a new area and suddenly I realized that it's Alph talking to me about his Pikmin being in trouble not Brittany. I hastily switched over and found all my Pikmin on fire and running all over the place (a fiery blowhog had respawned since I'd killed it on an earlier day). I got there just in time to see them start dying in droves. Oops.

Yeah, I just did that with a spider web. Only lost a few Winged Pikmin to it but it was still annoying.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

This game's pretty good y'all

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

This is the absolute best looking video game fruit I have ever seen

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Man, I lost a lot of blues to the boss where you have to get Louie the second time. Good thing he gave me a bunch back at the Onion. Only one more fruit in that area to go!

E: I'm completely done with Garden of Hope now. I've only got 5 or 6 more fruits in each of the other three areas before I go tackle the final area. It should be pretty easy to figure out where the fruits are, I don't think I've revisited these areas now that I have blues yet.
E2: Done with Tropical Wilds. I actually didn't complete a bridge that's near the landing site, I have no clue where the rest of that bridge is but I'm sure it would have helped here and there.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 5, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just noticed it's the next day and I'm at the final boss

This is so loving stressful. I swear if this thing is the water wraiths mother or something then uh... I'm not sure if I'm impressed or not.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I've been plowing through the game, I think I'm at the last area because it doesn't have any fruits in it and it's some sort of Olimar protecting mission I have 3 areas at 100% and it feels like I've barely played. :smith: I can't believe I've waited nearly 10 years and this game is going to be shorter than Pikmin 2 was.

What's Red Nectar do? I never managed to get any of my Pikmin to drink it because it was in an area where a Shaggy Long Legs was stomping around and I never saw it again (even though it lingered for a few days). And in the Distant Tundra, there's a series of ledges I can't seem to access with the last bits of fruit on them; I've searched all around and I can't find a single way to get up there. When I use the map to send a Captain up there there's an area where the waypoint crosses over onto the ledge as if there is supposed to be something there for them to get up there but it's just a bunch of straw or something on the ground.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Your pilot can gather the red nectar to give you an extra charge of the spicy spray that you normally get from collecting berries.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Sire Oblivion posted:

So I've been plowing through the game, I think I'm at the last area because it doesn't have any fruits in it and it's some sort of Olimar protecting mission I have 3 areas at 100% and it feels like I've barely played. :smith: I can't believe I've waited nearly 10 years and this game is going to be shorter than Pikmin 2 was.

What's Red Nectar do? I never managed to get any of my Pikmin to drink it because it was in an area where a Shaggy Long Legs was stomping around and I never saw it again (even though it lingered for a few days). And in the Distant Tundra, there's a series of ledges I can't seem to access with the last bits of fruit on them; I've searched all around and I can't find a single way to get up there. When I use the map to send a Captain up there there's an area where the waypoint crosses over onto the ledge as if there is supposed to be something there for them to get up there but it's just a bunch of straw or something on the ground.

To get up there, you have to take your captains to the area where the berry plant is as well as the swooping snitchbugs. Then, if you throw 2 captains and all your pikmin onto that plateau (there's a stick the pikmin can construct in the corner to climb up) you can go to the tip of the area and throw them onto a series of bounce mushrooms to get them across. Aside from some fruit there's the aforementioned haybale which works like a bridge, it'll make that area accessible via a hay ramp. Oh, also Fiery Blowhogs so be careful when throwing your pikmin over as they like to auto-dig/carry the nearby fruit..

Oh, and to use Ultra Spicy Spray from red nectar, press up on the control pad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Red Nectar works exactly the same way it did in Pikmin 2.

absolutely anything posted:

This game's pretty good y'all

Can anyone tell me what kind of fruit this is? I'm having fun trying to identify the kinds I don't recognize and this is one of the ones I'm having no luck with.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pikmin 3 owns so far but I wish the S.S. Drrrrrrrake-u looked a little cooler. At least it's not as bad as Pikmin 2's ship.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

Red Nectar works exactly the same way it did in Pikmin 2.

Can anyone tell me what kind of fruit this is? I'm having fun trying to identify the kinds I don't recognize and this is one of the ones I'm having no luck with.

It's a plum! I don't know what the Velvety Dreamdrop is though.

Also people were saying you can't punch. But that's wrong. You can only do it when you're close to a monster (and you'll probably get hosed up in the process) but you totally can. The captains even make lil karate noises.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Regy Rusty posted:

Pretty sure its a Mangosteen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man the multiplayer is surprisingly detailed and hella fun. I played the first few campaign missions, but then got distracted playing multi with my roommate. I'll have to play more campaign today.

The co-op and competitive modes are both a blast. Competitive is pretty wild and zany but it actually works pretty well, the bingo card is a fun gameplay mechanic to keep things random, and you can either just race each other to get things or you can try to steal each others' things, which usually resulted in us leaving each other alone until we only had 1 left to make bingo, and then we'd engage in a huge pikmin war for the final fruit until only a few were left standing. Good times. The only downside is that its a little bit confusing sometimes whose pikmin are whose, they get a weird blue/pink flower color which isn't all that different from the red/yellow/blue colors pikmin are already. They should have used like purple and orange, or green and brown or something like that to contrast more.

Co-op lets you play any of the bosses from the campaign together, which is awesome, although it seems you don't just unlock them by beating them in co-op, but have to beat them in single already. You can also work together to compete challenge maps where you scramble to gather all the fruits in an area, ranked bronze, silver and gold based on your performance, with tons of levels to unlock if you get a medal. It was pretty fun and pretty challenging.

I was never the best at multitasking in pikmin 2 using the 2 captains, so having 2 players each controlling 1 captain is a really great way to multitask. You can actually be doing seperate things at the same time, rather than just swapping between them. Although during boss fights it can be hectic and its easy to accidentally keep whistling and stealing your buddy's pikmin out from under him.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also people were saying you can't punch. But that's wrong. You can only do it when you're close to a monster (and you'll probably get hosed up in the process) but you totally can. The captains even make lil karate noises.

The Velvety Dreamdrop I believe is a Loquat, and as mentioned prior the Dapper Blob is a Mangosteen. Another one I had difficulty identifying at first was the Portable Sunset, until I realized it was a Persimmon from playing Animal Crossing and getting one there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's not what a plum looks like! Zuzie is right it's a Purple Mangosteen. Never heard of that before. I think the Lesser Mock Bottom is a plum. Also what the heck is the Delectable Bouquet? It says it has flowers inside it...?

I just got to Boss 3 at the end of a day and it is terrifying so I ran away. I can't believe I've been playing for 18 days and still haven't found Blue Pikmin (although admittedly if I hadn't been collecting every possible fruit before progressing with the plot I'm sure I would have much sooner).

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 5, 2013

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
So uh

Something happened with my graphics on the replay.

http://imgur.com/a/zS1S8

I just don't even know what happened. It just went crazy during the first boss fight and was fine after I went to the home menu :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

I just finished off Twilight River, just have five more fruits in the Tundra to go!

Is there a list somewhere of all the data files? After I finish off the Tundra I'd like to go through and make sure I got them all.

• Locked thread